• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new quest beckons: Monster Hunter for Smash!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Personally, I'm hoping we can get some more monster spirits besides (most likely) Rathalos. But in the meantime, I can appreciate just how surprisingly well he translates to being an assist. So far I've only seen one made-up move (the rising talon strike), the rest are almost completely lifted exactly as they were in Monster Hunter. He even gets enraged and roars when damaged sufficiently.

Man, I wonder what a Hunter's moveset would be if they got in? Would they just use one weapon, or use multiple? All I know is, they MUST have a GS charge Fsmash, complete with the three-step pings as it charges. It could even function unlike other characters' Fsmashes where it actually weakens if you charge it all the way, but is extremely powerful if you let go at just the right time. Would be amazing against bosses or a shield broken opponent.
The Great Sword does seem like an inevitable inclusion, it's pretty much the most iconic weapon type in all of Monster Hunter. Here's something I thought of to include multiple weapons in one moveset: like the Inklings and their reloading, you can sheathe your current weapon while it's out with shield+B for added mobility, and using that input while sheathed changes your weapon (which you unsheathe by doing an attack). The selection could include a greatsword, one fast weapon in sword & shield/dual blades, one guard weapon in lance/gunlance (with a better shield) and one gunner weapon. You'd have access to different moves and specials depending on which weapon is out or not.

Idon Idon I think a Monster Hunter trailer would basically reimagine one of the game's opening cutscenes, such as the very first one, but with fighters replacing some of the participants. Seriously, they're almost like fighter reveal trailers as they are.

Last edited:

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
Logged in for a first time in a while to give my support to Hunter! An interesting down-B for me would be Potion to heal 10% or so, but includes the classic flex for massive end lag.
To make sure it's not OP, the Potion can stale to 5 or even 3%.

Why? Because it's pretty obvious that Sakurai comes up with movesets and animations based on how people remember them from playing. Look at Simon's whip twirl from Super C4, and the fact that he references holding A + B after getting the red orb. And I'm pretty sure everyone's familiar with chugging Potions.

In conclusion, if we get MH and they are based more on MH4G/XX then we might see an item-based Special rather than all their moves representing weapons.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Logged in for a first time in a while to give my support to Hunter! An interesting down-B for me would be Potion to heal 10% or so, but includes the classic flex for massive end lag.
To make sure it's not OP, the Potion can stale to 5 or even 3%.

Why? Because it's pretty obvious that Sakurai comes up with movesets and animations based on how people remember them from playing. Look at Simon's whip twirl from Super C4, and the fact that he references holding A + B after getting the red orb. And I'm pretty sure everyone's familiar with chugging Potions.

In conclusion, if we get MH and they are based more on MH4G/XX then we might see an item-based Special rather than all their moves representing weapons.
In that weapon switching moveset I described in my last post, items could be the focus when your weapon is sheathed, along with basic, weak physical attacks.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I love Monster Hunter! Hunting with friends is one of the funniest thing in video games.

For the moveset so many weapons can be use!

jab: sword and shield
neutral b: bow
neutral air: dual blades
Counter: lance
recovery: Insect glaive
Side smash: Great Sword
Up smash: Gunlance
Down smash: Hammer (with the spining move)
etc

KatKit

Smash Lord
I support! I played MHW for Lord knows how long. I'm glad Monster Hunter has a decent amount of representation in Smash already, and The Hunter (and/or Palico?) would be a fun character that has a crazy assortment of (mostly giant) weapons.

Hopefully we get a remix of the Vaal Hazak theme. I think an orchestral metal remix might be cool, like this one:

I also like the Bazelgeuse Battle theme:

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I come bearing good news for the Monster Hunter crew.

Apparently, Monster Hunter has music in the Fighters section, implying that originally, MH was going to get a character which was then cut.

While I'm going to take this with a grain of salt because I'm not making any assumptions, I think Monster Hunter is by far the likeliest Capcom character, and what's in the spoiler seals the deal.

But if you want... get hyped.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If we got Monster Hunter with Geno, Banjo, and two nintendo reps.... that'd be pretty ****ing solid tbh. I think Capcom deserves it for being such a team player with Ultimate.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
If we got Monster Hunter with Geno, Banjo, and two nintendo reps.... that'd be pretty ****ing solid tbh. I think Capcom deserves it for being such a team player with Ultimate.
Think we'd be getting a SEGA rep over another Nintendo one, but I wholeheartedly agree with your first three.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Think we'd be getting a SEGA rep over another Nintendo one, but I wholeheartedly agree with your first three.
I mostly say two Nintendo cause I can't choose between Dixie and Dee lmao. I'd be hard-pressed between Tails and The Joker for a Sega rep tbh lmao.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Indeed, fully fleshing out the Street Fighter representation and delving deep into all forms of Megaman...

Have we seen a spirit for the MH yet?
No, of course, but I have tons of ideas for Spirit battles involving the monsters. Kushala Daora on Toon Link with lots of Gust Bellows, Congalala on Wario with a powered-up Waft and mushrooms of all forms, Blangonga on a white DK with Diddy Kongs for backup and Freezies to throw, Zinogre on a Pikachu that gets progressively stronger, Gore Magala on Dark Samus with her attacks applying a debuff, Yian Garuga on Ridley who uses nair a lot...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I come bearing good news for the Monster Hunter crew.

Apparently, Monster Hunter has music in the Fighters section, implying that originally, MH was going to get a character which was then cut.

While I'm going to take this with a grain of salt because I'm not making any assumptions, I think Monster Hunter is by far the likeliest Capcom character, and what's in the spoiler seals the deal.

But if you want... get hyped.
Any detail on what the song is specifically? If it's just the Forest & Hills theme we have in the game then it could have just been misplaced.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
That much, I do not know. I simply parroted the most relevant information from GameFAQs, which has actual evidence supporting the confirmation of MH content.

Well, anyway, there's a much more logical explanation that it's just alphabetical order. So, this probably didn't mean anything.

Last edited:

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Any detail on what the song is specifically? If it's just the Forest & Hills theme we have in the game then it could have just been misplaced.
Both Proof of a Hero and the Forest theme are in the game. They are both listed as songs for a fighter series.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys! I want to support! MH is one of my top 3 most wanted (behind Isaac and Skull Kid), the game is awesome, it has been with Nintendo for a while and I think playable would show those who don't know the series yet just how much potential there is to a hunter. I hope if he/she gets in they have a Zinogre alt!

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
According to another user in the main thread, the datamine isn't entirely accurate.

There is no evidence of Monster Hunter having a cut character in the list of music tracks, so let's dispel with this rumor right here.

There is a blank spot in the fighter theme list.

z90 shizue
z91 gaogaen
z93 inkling
z94 ridley
z95 krool
z96 simon

Right away we can rule Monster Hunter out as z92, because third parties are listed last. They have been since Brawl, and are still listed this way now. Snake and Sonic are last in the Brawl section, Pac Man and Mega Man are last in the Smash 4 section, and now Simon is last in the Ultimate section. Echoes do not have unique themes, hence the lack of Richter and Ken. Monster Hunter could conceivably be z97, but we'd have no way of knowing that. But he is not z92.

Now for the stage music.

Monster Hunter's two tracks are listed in between Metal Gear and Animal Crossing. This is the hoopla that's being spread around of it being in the "fighter section."

But there's a reason it's located there, and that's because the list is in alphabetical order.

All franchises are named with the same naming scheme. All songs from the same franchise are labeled first with a unique letter so that they're all grouped together. Mario is the first franchise, and is labeled with "a," like so:

a07_wld_title_ending.lopus

Donkey Kong is "b", Zelda is "c" and so on and so on. Animal Crossing is "n."

Third party franchises, meanwhile, are labeled differently. They're labeled based on their title. Castlevania, or Akumajou Dracula, is "AD." Bayonetta is "BY." Metal Gear is "MG."

And thus, Monster Hunter is "MH."

So in the ordered list, it goes MG, MH, N, or Metal Gear, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing.
Regardless, I still think the chances of us getting a Monster Hunter character for DLC are very high. It's one of the biggest franchises out there with a lot of Nintendo history and we already have Rathalos in the base game.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
According to another user in the main thread, the datamine isn't entirely accurate.

Regardless, I still think the chances of us getting a Monster Hunter character for DLC are very high. It's one of the biggest franchises out there with a lot of Nintendo history and we already have Rathalos in the base game.
Only thing I'll note is that I didn't realize Splatoon was also categorized by two letters, so it's not exclusively a third party thing. I still stand by the conclusion that the music does not list Monster Hunter in the "fighter section," since it's still organized alphabetically.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
Only thing I'll note is that I didn't realize Splatoon was also categorized by two letters, so it's not exclusively a third party thing. I still stand by the conclusion that the music does not list Monster Hunter in the "fighter section," since it's still organized alphabetically.
So this rules out Monster Hunter as a scrapped fighter (or at least scrapped in development) right? That's weird though because there's still an extra slot which means there was a placeholder for a potentially planned fighter or a scrapped character. Weird.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
So this rules out Monster Hunter as a scrapped fighter (or at least scrapped in development) right? That's weird though because there's still an extra slot which means there was a placeholder for a potentially planned fighter or a scrapped character. Weird.
The gap slot everybody is talking about would be a first party character, since third parties are listed at the end. But because third parties are listed at the end, we wouldn't actually know if they're missing, since removing them wouldn't leave a gap.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
The gap slot everybody is talking about would be a first party character, since third parties are listed at the end. But because third parties are listed at the end, we wouldn't actually know if they're missing, since removing them wouldn't leave a gap.
That makes sense, but I still find it interesting that there was a cut character. Sakurai seemed incredibly adamant in an interview that the final roster was planned and there were no extra characters added this time but to cut one? I guess it's not completely out of the question. Thanks for the heads-up though about the roster code.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I only say this because it would help to avoid an issue of selecting an avatar character with no canon name or appearance.
As opposed to a palico with no canon name or appearance?

Rathalos armor greatsword user is far more recognizable than a Palico is. Even its less popular female version is used in Marvel vs. Capcom.

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
As opposed to a palico with no canon name or appearance?

Rathalos armor greatsword user is far more recognizable than a Palico is. Even its less popular female version is used in Marvel vs. Capcom.
Japan seems really keen on Palicoes, and aside from the monsters themselves, they seem like more of a mascot for the franchise. It's a similar argument to Slime and Erdrick.

Parallelo

Golden Boy
Switch FC
SW-1049 6345 7512
Monster Hunter would be a hype inclusion and a great fit imo.
Jab: Lance pokes w/super armour due to shield
Tilts: Various Lance/gunlqnce pokes
Aerials: various Dual Blade/S&S attacks
Fsmash: True Charge Slash
Usmash: Hammer upswing
Dsmash: Longsword sweep
Up Special: Insect Glaive pole vault
Side Special: Bow/Bowgun
Down Special: something something charge blade

Main Gimmick:
Neutral special: sheath/unsheath weapon. Sheathed increases mobility but adds startup lag. Unsheathed decreases mobility but minimal startup lag

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Main Gimmick:
Neutral special: sheath/unsheath weapon. Sheathed increases mobility but adds startup lag. Unsheathed decreases mobility but minimal startup lag
Actually a sheathed attack with a Great Sword is faster than an unsheathed one, because the weapon is kind of already in position to begin winding up the swing.

Parallelo

Golden Boy
Switch FC
SW-1049 6345 7512
Sure, but 90% of cases y'know. Gimmick is gimmick.

Parallelo

Golden Boy
Switch FC
SW-1049 6345 7512
Well no, the main penalty is mobility, but even so you're right when it comes to MH but when translating it to smash you take a creative liberty.

Unrelated: a very silly but awesome idea would be to have Monster Hunter be very very small so that all the other characters are monsters in comparison

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well no, the main penalty is mobility, but even so you're right when it comes to MH but when translating it to smash you take a creative liberty.

Unrelated: a very silly but awesome idea would be to have Monster Hunter be very very small so that all the other characters are monsters in comparison
And the Rathalos is a World Eater with how big it is compared to the "standard" monster fighters?

Starblax

Smash Apprentice

Main Gimmick:
This is a really cool idea. A few things I'd change though: Jabs and Tilts should be the dual blades or switch axe, upsmash could be an explosion with the gunlance, and Fair could be a spike with hammer similar to Cloud's.

Also another idea for a gimmick was crouching would actually be the Great Sword block.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
So someone in another thread suggested the possibility that...
...the "brave" from the datamine leak could reference the brave combat style in Monster Hunter
probably not but fun to think about the possibility.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Since the DLC is probably gonna be 3rd party characters anyways, I support the Monster Hunter. Makes sense with the Rathalos also being around.

By the way, is the Switch Monster Hunter game any good?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Since the DLC is probably gonna be 3rd party characters anyways, I support the Monster Hunter. Makes sense with the Rathalos also being around.

By the way, is the Switch Monster Hunter game any good?
I've been enjoying it but I don't have tons of time on it yet. My last MH game was Tri on the Wii I think so the new weapons are fun and playing as a Prowler is great.

Top Bottom