• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new quest beckons: Monster Hunter for Smash!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The Ultimate Hunt

Objective: Hunt a Rathalos
Subquest: Slay 7 fighters
Time: 5 minutes
Locale: ???
Environment: Unstable
Fee: 0z
Reward: TBD
Subquest Reward: TBD
Failure Conditions: Stocks hit 0, or time expires

Description:

Client: Concerned Hand

"There's been a troubling development. A Rathalos has appeared suddenly in an area filled with powerful fighters of my choosing. They are strong, but few
have ever faced a foe such as this. I request the services of hunter to dispatch this creature should it prove to be a threat... and perhaps demonstrate his or her skills."

Welcome to Monster Hunter support thread!

The player-customized avatar of the franchise with the same name dedicated to hunting, slaying and capturing massive beasts for the good of mankind and nature is the only missing link needed to represent the franchise in all forms (assist, "stage", music, trophy, only a playable character remains). It has just as much history with Nintendo as it does with Sony and now stands proudly among Capcom's juggernauts Street Fighter and Mega Man as one of their biggest franchises. With a huge arsenal of weapons and tools, hunters are well-prepared to face any foe.

Supporter list:

• meleebrawler
  • Avokha
  • The DanMan051
  • Chunkz
  • [Maple]
  • SorrowOfAcheron
  • shocktarts17
  • lexgamer
  • Gimj
  • Rikarte
  • Diddy Kong
  • Luxent
  • LuffyLink
  • s07195
  • Parallelo
  • Starblax
  • Idon
  • KatKit
  • SuperSceptile15
  • Gioka
  • OptimisticStrifer
  • Apollo500
  • TimesNomad
  • toonito
  • Hydra of Chaos
  • Smashoperatingbuddy123
  • Shadownade
  • BluePikmin11
  • Teeb147
  • PhantomShab
  • Flynn.Scifo
  • 8-peacock-8
  • Essora
  • Farbietfromme
Number of supporters: 35

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There was admittedly no logo for Monster Hunter in the music selection so chances are Verdant Hills is the only Monster Hunter song in the game, and that doesn't bode well for those chances... but we can dream, dammit.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
There was admittedly no logo for Monster Hunter in the music selection so chances are Verdant Hills is the only Monster Hunter song in the game, and that doesn't bode well for those chances... but we can dream, dammit.
Mind getting some evidence of this song being in the game? I'd like to see for myself.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wait, we seriously didn't have a thread for this character before?

Well, whatever, count me IN. Monster Hunter is ****ing phenomonal

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mind getting some evidence of this song being in the game? I'd like to see for myself.
Well it's the song they used in the direct while talking about him, and if Rathalos truly is the only Monster Hunter thing currently in the game then it can hardly be anything else, it being his borderline theme and all. Still you have a point about themes in trailers not necessarily being in the final product, look at Jr.'s trailer for 4 having both original airship theme from Sticker Star and Fiery Flotilla. Kind of hoping for Ancestral Steppe theme if it's not Verdant Hills.

Wait, we seriously didn't have a thread for this character before?

Well, whatever, count me IN. Monster Hunter is ****ing phenomonal
IKR? Not even a Rathalos feature got supporters moving around here. Shocking.

Essora

Smash Cadet
It does seem a little funny to me that they'd include Rathalos as a boss with no other MH representation at all. As much as I love Monster Hunter, I don't think it's likely, but I'd still say the chances are better than impossible. We do live in an era of roster upsets (See: Negan in Tekken, all of the Sm4sh DLC). I'm not getting my hopes up but if I see it announced I'm going to pop off my chair faster than you could ever imagine

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I initially brushed off the Monster Hunter World sales as being great, but I never would have expected the title to reach over 1 million units in europe and north america so easily this year, with nearly 12 million units sold. Sakurai will probably see Monster Hunter as a global successful franchise at the point of DLC to finally consider a character from the series. I cannot see the character being considered base game because of its lack of notable presence in NA/EU at the time of the project plan, but things are looking good for the character, should DLC happen. A Monster Hunter is probably the second most likely DLC character for Ultimate, behind Sora.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wonder if it would be similar to the monster hunter in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I initially brushed off the Monster Hunter World sales as being great, but I never would have expected the title to reach over 1 million units in europe and north america so easily this year, with nearly 12 million units sold. Sakurai will probably see Monster Hunter as a global successful franchise at the point of DLC to finally consider a character from the series. I cannot see the character being considered base game because of its lack of notable presence in NA/EU at the time of the project plan, but things are looking good for the character, should DLC happen. A Monster Hunter is probably the second most likely DLC character for Ultimate, behind Sora.
Personally I would have considered the series's absolutely massive japanese fandom reason enough, but hey global success helps too. It's also worth considering that we got not one, but two Mii costumes relating to it in Smash 4. Impressive for a third party.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I only bring those points up because of this interview:

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

"Final Fantasy VII (FFVII below) has never been released on a Nintendo console, so how did Cloud end up appearing in Smash?

Sakurai: Final Fantasy (FF below) is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time. At the same time, there are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left."

Such global reverence had not been kindled until Monster Hunter World, which was too late to be considered for Ultimate's project plan in 2015.

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
Absolutely love the series, absolutely love the idea. With Rathalos as a boss/AT, it would be fun to have someone appropriate to slay it with. The character has so much potential... maybe a little too much, with all the different weapons he/she could use - 14 in the main series. Instead of a chaotic moveset trying to implement all of them, I'd like to see one or two of the popular weapons used primarily instead, maybe the Great Sword with the Bowgun as a ranged option. Watching the Marvel vs. Capcom video Teeb147 posted... They did a pretty good job implementing multiple weapons without trying too many. Using a secondary melee weapon as well as a ranged one would be fine. The barrel bomb is also definitely a good option.

It would also be fun if they decided to include different armor sets as alternative costumes... although that might be a bit much to hope for. I'd love the option to play in Lagiacrus or Zinogre armor in addition to the default Rathalos set. Including both male and female options would also be a plus.

Based on everything that has been shown, though, I'm a little worried it won't happen. I think the direct showed off all the stages and series icons, after all, and Monster Hunter wasn't among them. I'd love if they intentionally held stuff back, but I don't think that's too likely. Still, we can hope. Maybe at least we'll get the Mii Costume back... although I know many people probably wouldn't be too pleased with that.

But yeah, I'm definitely a supporter!

Essora

Smash Cadet
I only bring those points up because of this interview:

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

"Final Fantasy VII (FFVII below) has never been released on a Nintendo console, so how did Cloud end up appearing in Smash?

Sakurai: Final Fantasy (FF below) is one of the few uniquely Japanese game series revered by players around the world. I think fans across the globe have hoped a character from one of those series would appear in Smash, so it was only a matter of time. At the same time, there are only so many big-name titles we can work with at this point—mainly because we’ve covered most of those bases. Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left."

Such global reverence had not been kindled until Monster Hunter World, which was too late to be considered for Ultimate's project plan in 2015.
Yeah, I'm not expecting much in the way of seeing Monster Hunter, but I think he has a better chance of being a DLC entrant than in the base game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It was kind of odd to add so much from monster hunter without a character. For me it's still 50/50 whether the character will be playable.
I wouldn't mind, but it entirely depends how they make it.

Hydra of Chaos

Smash Apprentice
What do you think in terms of stages? The one we saw seemed like it would be a Boss-Stage only, not a real Multiplayer-stage
I think the Ship you fight the Jhen Mohran on, with the latter as Stage hazard could work, but its not very current, as it neither appeared in Generations nor World.

Last edited:

Farbeitfromme

Smash Cadet
What do you think in terms of stages? The one we saw seemed like it would be a Boss-Stage only, not a real Multiplayer-stage
I think the Ship you fight the Jhen Mohran on, with the latter as Stage hazard could work, but its not very current, as it neither appeared in Generations nor World.
Well, the Dragonship was in Monster Hunter 4 as well as Tri, and 4 is where the environment used of the Rathalos boss stage came from, so I wouldn't count it out completely. I think it would be a neat stage too.

Essora

Smash Cadet
There are a few design spaces that could potentially be explored in a MH character. They could have them use one iconic weapon (probably greatsword or dual blades), or integrate multiple weapons into the moveset like in Marvel vs. Capcom. Another possibility would be to have a move that switches the weapon to change their moves according to what they're using, though that last one would likely be a bit too complex for Smash. Definitely interesting to think about tho

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for my Wii U and 3DS. But, I'm planning on getting Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for my 3DS. I support!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I wouldn’t mind the Momster Hunter being based off of MVCI if he/she was added as DLC.

That being said, I do hope we get a Monster Hunter character in general. While I’m not the biggest fan of the series; they’d be fun to play as.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Maybe they will be DLC in smash, it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I doubt Sakurai is the kinda man to "copy" a fighter from the Marvel Vs capcom game. I think that a Palico not only being the series mascot but also being playable in Generations / Gen U would fit perfectly in a Nintendo / smash universe.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Count me in. After the success of World I could see the hunter being a big 3rd party request for DLC if the base game is a no-go.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I doubt Sakurai is the kinda man to "copy" a fighter from the Marvel Vs capcom game. I think that a Palico not only being the series mascot but also being playable in Generations / Gen U would fit perfectly in a Nintendo / smash universe.
They use inspiration from past games as well as other appearances. Snake seems to have moves from Dream Mix TV Fighters, which is a pretty old obscure fighting game appearance.. Someone could say they're both just inspired from metal gear, dunno, but it wouldn't surprise me if they took some stuff from MvsC for Monster hunter.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Gameplay of Monster Hunter is pretty fun. It takes really long to beat some monsters though.

I guess I gotta grab some multiplayer friends eventually.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gameplay of Monster Hunter is pretty fun. It takes really long to beat some monsters though.

I guess I gotta grab some multiplayer friends eventually.
Friends will undoubtedly make hunts go smoother (unless it's World), however keep in mind none of the demo weapons have elements which could help with speedier kills or captures which you can also do in the full game. I should warn you though, if you do plan on getting the full game, be prepared to spend much of the early game gathering stuff rather than hunting. It'll help and pay off in the long run though, and you'll eventually unlock features that reduce or eliminate the need for gathering basic supplies altogether.

Edit: Also for Generations (Ultimate) in particular, you'll need to keep an eye out for "training quests" if you want to learn about the different aspects of the game not necessarily related to hunting. The game doesn't really do anything to guide you to these.

Last edited:

Shadownade

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadownade
Consider me a supporter for this.

You know, with Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate for the Switch around the corner - and Rathalos being confirmed as both an Assist Trophy and Boss for Smash Ultimate (on a stage from MH4 no less!), I would love to see the Hunter bring his/her array of weapons to Smash.

Also; for the seasoned Monster Hunter players, the main theme of the series; 'Proof of a Hero' sounds very, very Smash-like in MHGU - although this could be considered a big coincidence, it just feels right to have it in Smash with the inclusion of Rathalos and perhaps the Hunter? Although they're not on the top of my list for a playable fighter, they're definitely up there.

Hydra of Chaos

Smash Apprentice
I have thought of potential Specials for him/her(I just noticed, this is the first time I posted a moveset on the boards here)
Neutral-Special: Bowgun, I´d say heavy. In the moment you begin to hold B, Ammo Selection appears above the Hunter, you can cycle through it by pressing up and down. Once B is released the selected Ammo Type is fired. There is also a limit to how often you can fire certain Ammo Types during one stock
I dont know yet which ammo types would be the best, but there are many interesting ones such as Wyvern Ammo.

Side-Special: Spirit Thrust. The Hunter lunges over a short distance with the Longsword and deals high damage and Knockback. I am not entirerly sure about that one, there might be a better idea

Up-Special: Insect Glaive-Vault. The Hunter rams the Glaive into the ground while catapulting him/herself into the the air. In Mid-Air the Glaive is thrown down while jumping of. The Hunter also moves into the direction he/she is facing.

Down-Special: Hammer Big-Bang. slow attack that buries the foe, if pressed repeatedly the hits continue and end with a strong finisher that sends the opponent flying
I will add more detail and the rest of the moveset later.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Consider me a supporter for this.

You know, with Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate for the Switch around the corner - and Rathalos being confirmed as both an Assist Trophy and Boss for Smash Ultimate (on a stage from MH4 no less!), I would love to see the Hunter bring his/her array of weapons to Smash.

Also; for the seasoned Monster Hunter players, the main theme of the series; 'Proof of a Hero' sounds very, very Smash-like in MHGU - although this could be considered a big coincidence, it just feels right to have it in Smash with the inclusion of Rathalos and perhaps the Hunter? Although they're not on the top of my list for a playable fighter, they're definitely up there.

I wish we could have more "menu" themes across different series to play in Smash. And I don't just mean the ability to keep a song playing outside of sound test.

Strangely, I feel that the E3 Ultimate theme could actually go surprisingly well with both Generation's openings.

I have thought of potential Specials for him/her(I just noticed, this is the first time I posted a moveset on the boards here)
Neutral-Special: Bowgun, I´d say heavy. In the moment you begin to hold B, Ammo Selection appears above the Hunter, you can cycle through it by pressing up and down. Once B is released the selected Ammo Type is fired. There is also a limit to how often you can fire certain Ammo Types during one stock
I dont know yet which ammo types would be the best, but there are many interesting ones such as Wyvern Ammo.

Side-Special: Spirit Thrust. The Hunter lunges over a short distance with the Longsword and deals high damage and Knockback. I am not entirerly sure about that one, there might be a better idea

Up-Special: Insect Glaive-Vault. The Hunter rams the Glaive into the ground while catapulting him/herself into the the air. In Mid-Air the Glaive is thrown down while jumping of. The Hunter also moves into the direction he/she is facing.

Down-Special: Hammer Big-Bang. slow attack that buries the foe, if pressed repeatedly the hits continue and end with a strong finisher that sends the opponent flying
I will add more detail and the rest of the moveset later.
I think the specials, at least some of them, would be better suited for tools and items rather than weapons. Like, neutral B would be a shock/pitfall trap (doesn't work in the air), up b would be riding those things in world you use to enter maps, down b is a barrel bomb (tap it for a small time bomb, hold for a big barrel that explodes when hit with force or fire).

Last edited:

Hydra of Chaos

Smash Apprentice
I wish we could have more "menu" themes across different series to play in Smash. And I don't just mean the ability to keep a song playing outside of sound test.

Strangely, I feel that the E3 Ultimate theme could actually go surprisingly well with both Generation's openings.

I think the specials, at least some of them, would be better suited for tools and items rather than weapons. Like, neutral B would be a shock/pitfall trap (doesn't work in the air), up b would be riding those things in world you use to enter maps, down b is a barrel bomb (tap it for a small time bomb, hold for a big barrel that explodes when hit with force or fire).
I rly like your up-b idea! Even tho I dont think World would be represented by the moveset, as it didnt appear on Nintendo Platforms. As for the others, I´m not sure. Using two Specials for Traps is a bit too much, if you dont want to turn the entire character into a trapper, what I dont think would work that well for the Hunter, a slow heavy-hitter would fit better in my opinion. But making the Down-Special one of them would be totally ok

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I rly like your up-b idea! Even tho I dont think World would be represented by the moveset, as it didnt appear on Nintendo Platforms. As for the others, I´m not sure. Using two Specials for Traps is a bit too much, if you dont want to turn the entire character into a trapper, what I dont think would work that well for the Hunter, a slow heavy-hitter would fit better in my opinion. But making the Down-Special one of them would be totally ok
Well you kind of do need a good bit of traps or disabling tools to be able to land those hard hits in the first place. I suppose the main question would be what Monster Hunter items would be better suited as general items or part of a moveset.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Monster Hunter has a fair shot at being a DLC Fighter. I'm going all-in supporting some MH content for the DLC cycle. Fingers crossed Rathalos' inclusion paves the way!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like Monster Hunter has a fair shot at being a DLC Fighter. I'm going all-in supporting some MH content for the DLC cycle. Fingers crossed Rathalos' inclusion paves the way!
I can imagine the trailer now

*starts on sleeping Rathalos*

*armored footsteps*

"I finally got you. I've been tracking you for quite a while!"

DarkGeekRocker

Smash Rookie
NNID
SW120937775203
i believe there was a shadow of the Handler on the recent direct, its on that comic book challenge spot. jumping from the sky.

TimesNomad

Smash Rookie
Literally just made an account to be added as a supporter.
I remember all the hours I sunk into Freedom Unite, not even thinking of the possibility of a Monster Hunter rep in smash. But the series as grown so much since! Now he has a HUGE chance as DLC, and to me that would be a dream come true.
Let's hope for the best!

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Man, I wonder what a Hunter's moveset would be if they got in? Would they just use one weapon, or use multiple? All I know is, they MUST have a GS charge Fsmash, complete with the three-step pings as it charges. It could even function unlike other characters' Fsmashes where it actually weakens if you charge it all the way, but is extremely powerful if you let go at just the right time. Would be amazing against bosses or a shield broken opponent.

Top Bottom