• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social A New Challenger Enters! Kazuya Mishima Social Thread!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
In case anyone missed it, he comes with 39 songs (more than I expected) and 10 spirit battles (less than I expected).

Songs (with links)

-Marine Stadium, Japan (Tekken 1)
-Chicago, USA (Tekken 1)
-Kyoto, Japan (Tekken 1)
-Heihachi Mishima, the King of Iron Fist (Tekken 2)
-Kazuya Mishima, Devil Kazuya (Tekken 2) (REMIX)
-Kazuya Mishima, Devil Kazuya (Tekken 2)
-Emotionless Passion (Tekken 2)
-Attract -Embu-/Character Select (Tekken 3)
-Hwoarang (Tekken 3)
-Jin Kazama (Tekken 3)
-Heihachi Mishima (Tekken 3)
-Opening Movie (Tekken Tag Tournament)
-Jin Stage (Tekken Tag Tournament)
-Kitsch (Tekken 4)
-Bit Crusher (Tekken 4)
-Red Hot Fist (Tekken 5)
-Moonlit Wilderness (Tekken 5)
-Poolside (Tekken 5)
-Snow Castle (Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection)
-Into Nirvana (Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection)
-RESURRECTION (Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection)
-Ethno Evening (Tekken 6)
-YUKI (Tekken 6)
-Only One Fight (Tekken 6)
-Dust Thins Out (Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion) (REMIX)
-Karma (Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion) (REMIX)
-Arisa (Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion)
-Yodeling in Meadow Hill (Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion)
-Abyss of Time (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)
-Plucking Tulips (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)
-Landscape Under the Ghost-Kaminano (Tekken Tag Tournament 2) (REMIX)
-New World Order (Tekken Revolution)
-No Easy Way Out (Tekken Revolution)
-Heat Haze Shadow (Tekken 7)
-Dojo (Japanese-Style Mix) (Tekken 7) (REMIX)
-DUOMO DI SIRIO 1st (Tekken 7)
-Moonsiders 1st (Tekken 7) (REMIX)
-Desperate Struggle (Tekken 7) (REMIX)
-Aloneness (Tekken 7) (REMIX)
No Knocc 'Em Down, unfortunately.

Spirit Battles:

-Paul Phoenix and Marshall Law (Advanced)
-Nina Williams (Advanced)
-King and Armor King (Advanced)
-Ling Xiaoyu (Advanced)
-Kuma and Panda (Novice)
-Asuka Kazama (Novice)
-Yoshimitsu (Advanced)
-Jack-7 (Novice)
-Jin Kazama (Ace) (can be enhanced into Devil Jin)
-Heihachi Mishima (Legend) (you fight against a Mii fighter whether you have the Mii costume or not)

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'm trying to listen to the Kazuya theme remix during Sakurai's Squad Strike battle. I almost teared up it was so beautiful.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
The music selection is far beyond what I was expecting. My only real complaints are Tag and 4 only getting 2 tracks each and Into Nirvana could have been swapped for Tiamat or Estrala Da Estrela. Those are very small nitpicks though and overall it's a great selection.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings

Okay, so why is Kazuya going against Ryu here and not Jin? Kazuya has been on the cover of Tekken more often than Jin ever has.
Being the protagonist of only one game in the main series does not automatically make him the face of the entire franchise. The cover was simply going with the concept of original protagonist versus original protagonist.

When people think of Tekken, it's almost Heihachi and Jin that people think of first, not Kazuya. Sure, the lore may consider him important and would put him on covers because of this, but it's undeniable that Heihachi and Jin are both more recognizable as a whole.

That said, the Devil Gene offering gameplay uniqueness is the real reason Kazuya is playable over Heihachi, as mentioned in the presentation.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I’m gonna get a feel for how he plays before I decide whether or not I main him. I’ve never played Tekken before.
As for me, this pass has been feeding me real good, so of course i'll add him to my played character sheet.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just curious; what time is Kazuya supposed to release today?
Some time around 8-10 PM EST, if past Smash releases are any indication. (I've been told that Pyra/Mythra released around 8 PM, so likely closer to that)

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
As someone who is more of a fighting game player, I love how Kaz turned out. I think they did a great job at implementing what Kazuya does.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some time around 8-10 PM EST, if past Smash releases are any indication. (I've been told that Pyra/Mythra released around 8 PM, so likely closer to that)
If I recall correctly, the release time of new software updates would typically be around 9 PM EDT. I'm not sure if Japan does daylight savings time though.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
As someone who uses c-stick for smash attacks I feel like Kazuya will be extra hard to play. Think I'll heed Sakurai's words and just focus on using a few moves that I'll get working the best.

Nap1400

Smash Rookie
Went back to try out the Mishimas in T7 and god pulling off consistent EWGFs is still insanely hard. Curious what the timing window is going to be for Smash Kazuya, hoping it's lenient enough that someone like me who gets Tekken EWGFs like 25% of the time can get it consistently.

ThiagoCavalcanteCarvalho

Smash Apprentice
If you notice, the characters from the penultimate DLC solts to be revealed were from fighting games: Terry and Kazuya. And before them a playable duo had been revealed: Banjo & Kazooie and Pyra and Mythra.
Now I wonder if Sakurai plans to put the Mortal Kombat franchise into the next wave of DLC. And I'm not talking about a single character, I'm talking about two characters: Scorpion and Sub-Zero.
Preferably occupying a single of the 6 DLC slots.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well Kazuya's finally out. What do y'all think so far in terms of gameplay?
He feels amazing to play. Best part is that he's simple, way moreso than Ryu & Ken in spite of his diagonal tilts, mainly because you only need know 1 input to memorize with him! Also, as always, dude hits like a truck. Sakurai really likes his folks hitting hard, doesn't he?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Kazuya's attributes...

Walk Speed: 0.66
Traction: 0.115
Initial Dash: 1.58
Run Speed: 1.55
Jump Squat Frame Amount: 6
Ground Jump: 18
Short Hop: 12
Midair Jump: 49
Additional Air Acceleration: 0.03
Base Air Acceleration: 0.01
Air Speed: 0.89
Air Friction: 0.01
Gravity: 0.108
Falling Speed: 1.7
Fast-Falling Speed: 2.72
Weight: 113
Crawl?: No
Wall Jump?: No
Wall Cling?: No

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Kazuya's attributes...

Walk Speed: 0.66
Traction: 0.115
Initial Dash: 1.58
Run Speed: 1.55
Jump Squat Frame Amount: 6
Ground Jump: 18
Short Hop: 12
Midair Jump: 49
Additional Air Acceleration: 0.03
Base Air Acceleration: 0.01
Air Speed: 0.89
Air Friction: 0.01
Gravity: 0.108
Falling Speed: 1.7
Fast-Falling Speed: 2.72
Weight: 113
Crawl?: No
Wall Jump?: No
Wall Cling?: No
Damn, Kazuya's heavy. We actually have our first-ever heavyweight in the DLC.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, I was able to check out Kazuya earlier, and here's what I've noticed...
  1. CPUs can SDI out of the 10 hit combo. Can't seem to do it as a human player though, unless I'm overlooking something.
  2. One of the hits in the 10 hit combo has enough start-up lag that a fighter can shield-grab Kazuya.
  3. Kazuya's command input moves seem a bit more forgiving than what Ryu and Ken have.
  4. I was rather disappointed with Kazuya's final opponent in Classic Mode. Two Kazuyas (one being metal)? Maybe I'm not getting the reference with that particular round.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I tried kazuya out and he seemed to play well, though i'm probably not gonna play him for that long due to how i'm feeling towards demons and it'll take time for me to understand his playstyle(i was never able to figure out how the commands for the fighting game characters, not to mention I played street fighter 2 and was stressed over the A.I.)

The Classic Mode was fine and the Spirit Boards has a very decent selection with a few characters i can understand being picked here based on my knowledge(Nina, Xiaoyu, and Asuka), Heihachi's Spirit Battle would've been the most overwhelming one for me, but it took me two attempts in my first time to get him.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I was going through Kazuya's tips (there's a lot) and found something I don't think was mentioned in the presentation: Nejiri Uraken (standing down tilt) can be shield canceled before the hitbox comes out. I wonder what applications this could have? Predicting a parry and punishing accordingly might be one, albeit incredibly situational.

As I suspected, Kazuya will take a good while to get the handle of. First on my list is actually trying to remember what direction does what move and which ones combo into each other.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I have started playing Kazuya today. He's really fun! I'm no good at fighting games, usually-except for Smash of course. But I love Kazuya. I main Bowser, and Kazuya takes Bowser's three best attributes (armor (though I'm not sure what kind yet), Flying Slam-like move, and high damage output), and adds a bunch of crazy stuff on top of that like command input moves, a projectile, flashy combos, the works. I don't know yet if I main him but it seems very likely.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
  1. I was rather disappointed with Kazuya's final opponent in Classic Mode. Two Kazuyas (one being metal)? Maybe I'm not getting the reference with that particular round.
Probably reference the final battle in Tekken 7 where Heihachi fight Kazuya & then Devil Kazuya, due to the background being in a volcano and the music is the same one that play in the very last fight where Heihachi as almost no health left.

Top Bottom