• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Age in AZ (Japanese Ruleset)

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
A New Age in AZ
"Now with more Japanese Ruleset"
Tourney 1/5 of the current Season.

Tournament Hosts:
Silly Kyle
TommyDerMeister
DerpDaBerp

General Info:

When:02/04/12

Where: University of Arizona, Tucson; Student Union Memorial Center; TV Lounge (Bottom Floor)
--Directions: Assuming you can find a well-known University…go to the north side of campus to Speedway. Turn in on the direct middle street which should be Mountain. There is a giant parking structure just before the circle. This is free on weekends. There are other spots to park in for free, as well as metered areas if need be, but that generally shouldn’t be required.

Scheduled Times:*
12:00PM- Friendlies/MMs/Warm Ups
2:00PM- Side Event (TBD)
4:00PM- Singles Pools + Bracket
*Note: These are rough estimates. Things may go quicker or slower

Singles/Doubles Entry Fee Information:
Entry Fee (Singles): $10
Entry Fee (Side Event): Doubles Side Tourney - $4 per team

--Pot Splits
---Less than 20 entrants:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Set-Ups
We have no “guaranteed” televisions, so please try to bring as many as possible. There are, however, 4 televisions that are 99%(seriously) likely to be usable. If we have a television for every 4 people, that should be excellent. More is definitely better.Please try to bring extension cords as well! I have one power cord. Preferably, if we had three more power cords, we should be safe.
--TV's
1.Venue
2.Venue
3.Venue
4.Venue
5.TDM
6.Smiley
7.GV7 x2
--Wii+Brawl
1.TDM
2.Smiley
3.GV7
4.KiraFlax
5.K9
6.RaveRemix
7.Moo
8.ForteFreak
9.R@per
10.Hector
--Other
1.TDM - Ext.Cord x2
2.GV7 - Ext.Cord (lots, he says)
3.Rubyiris - Ext.Cord x2
4.Rubyiris - Full Melee Set-Up (TV+Cube+Melee)

The Rules:

The Japanese Ruleset

General Rules:
1. 3 stocks
2. 10-minute timer
3. Best-of-3 sets (WF, LF, and GF will be Best-of-5)
4. Double elimination
5. All items off
6. Team attack on
7. Changing controls allowed
8. Pause is turned off

Limiting Rules/Bans:
1. No using infinites for stalling purposes
2. No bugs/glitches of any kind
3. No Infinite Dimensional Cape (incidental use of IDC is tolerable)
4. Ledge grab limit of 50
5. No scrooging (player may travel under the stage once from the ledge)
* "Traveling under the stage once from the ledge" is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
Exceptions to Rule 5:
When one of the players is attacked by the other and takes damage.
[There is one other exception, but I don't understand it. I'll update this once I get a clarification from RAIN, or if someone else can figure out what it means from the Japanese version.]

Stages:
Starter:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville

Counterpick:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1

Set Format:
Game 1:
1. Stage-striking order and controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors
2. Rock-Paper-Scissors loser strikes one of the three Starter stages
3. Rock-Paper-Scissors winner strikes one of the remaining two Starter stages
4. Players select their characters (players may elect to have a double-blind character selection)

Game 2 (and so on):
1. Loser may select controller port
2. Winner may ban a stage from the Counterpick list
3. Loser selects one of the remaining stages
4. Winner chooses character
5. Loser chooses character
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until the set is decided

Timeouts:
In the event that a match goes to time, the victor will be decided by the following steps, in order:
1. Number of ledgegrabs (if one player exceeds 50 ledgegrabs, that player will be declared the loser)
2. Number of remaining stocks
3. Amount of damage percent
4. If stocks and damage percent identical, the match will be replayed on the same stage, with each player at one stock.

Additions to the Rules/Info:
• Trash talking by the audience during sets that are not semifinals or grand finals are discouraged, but allowed. Individuals (aside from the Tournament Host) in the audience may be silenced by any of the players participating in a tournament match at any time.
• Trash talking during semifinals and grand finals are allowed. Same rule as stated above applies. This is the ONLY time pausing is allowed and players who choose to pause for this reason may be disqualified at the Tournament Host’s discretion.
• Clean up after the tournament.
• Incompetence is not allowed. I will kick anyone out personally if I feel there is a disruption.
•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.
•The Tournament Organizers are entitled to a smoke break before pools and/or singles. We have good timing, don't worry.
•The Tournament Organizer and his assistants, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Recommendations:
•Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:
1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
2. Being familiar with entrance fees
3. Arriving on time
4. Maintaining personal hygiene
5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
6. Minimizing Johns

Silly Kyle: 520-991-4221
DerpDaBerp: 520-300-0460

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
Hey smiley wanna be my doubles? :p who do u play for low tier?

Mk ban! <3

also me and rave are going to make a small Mario kart 64 tourney :p

:phone:

Jane

Smash Hero
wait... what happened to using japanese ruleset?

also, this tourney name is ****ing gay hahaha

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
PAYOUT TO 5TH?!?!?

...what's going on here
well I copy and pasted that from an older thread, so I'll get a more current one. and the payout only went to 5th if there were 20 or more people.

After looking through past tournament threads,what I copied and pasted is even in last season's tourney threads, so it's not wrong, but I am changing the payouts. Probably to Top 3, so the payout would look something like 60/30/10

wait... what happened to using japanese ruleset?
I didn't think there was ever a real agreement from everyone for using Japanese Ruleset. If this is what the majority of people coming want, then I'll change it.

also, this tourney name is ****ing gay hahaha
then come up with something better.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
the majority is good enough for me.

Alright, I have the Japanese ruleset posted right now, based on one of Jard'd posts in the AZ Brawl thread. If someone is able to find out how current/accurate that ruleset is, that would be very appreciated since I have to go to work soon/IHaveDialUpInternetAndIDon'tFeelLikeSearchingThroughAllOfThisGodDamnSiteToFindThatRuleset, when someone else could find it 1000x faster than I ever could..

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
This should be fun. I think I should be able to go, even though the very next week after is midterms for me. I have no problem playing with the Japanese ruleset, but I think 10 minutes is way too long for a match. I think we should put the time back to 8 minutes.

Herro94

Smash Apprentice
well cant wait ill be bringing a wii and brawl and i might be able to get a tv not sure yet about that one.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
How about: "Smiley's ***** is bigger than Kyle's?"

That sounds like a fair and unbiased tourney name

@Rob: I gotta see the status on Derp because we're supposed to be perma partners now. If he's there we'll probably team.

And I use Falcon. But I've haven't tried my link yet. Still i'll probably go Falcon

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'll try to be here. I was sick last time.

Anyone want to be cool and play a better game with me between rounds? K9/Tommy/Kyle/Jane?

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I'll probably be down for some melee. I kinda wanna play Samus for some reason lol

and yeah let's team, Z

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
If were use the Japanese ruleset, I assume Mk is legal?
Yeah, he'll be legal.

This should be fun. I think I should be able to go, even though the very next week after is midterms for me. I have no problem playing with the Japanese ruleset, but I think 10 minutes is way too long for a match. I think we should put the time back to 8 minutes.
I feel the same about the timer. 10min seems like too much. Also, Yoshiken, Soul Calibur 5 will be out by the time this tourney comes around, we should play a bit if we can. I'm going to buy the game when it releases, for PS3.

I'll try to be here. I was sick last time.

Anyone want to be cool and play a better game with me between rounds? K9/Tommy/Kyle/Jane?
Yes, I'm down. :sheikmelee:

Also, to everyone going to this tournament, we should try and vote on a side event here in the thread. I know Smiley wanted Low-Tier Doubles. I would be down for Normal Doubles.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I also vote for normal doubles since neither PT or Ness are available for low-tier anymore

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Ok reg doubles is cool

Lol and no offense rob. I would love to team but derp is tucson and we can actually practice if necessary

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
I feel the same about the timer. 10min seems like too much. Also, Yoshiken, Soul Calibur 5 will be out by the time this tourney comes around, we should play a bit if we can. I'm going to buy the game when it releases, for PS3.
I am also getting SCV the day it comes out! However, I am getting it for the XBox 360. I am fine playing it on the PS3 with you though, as I end up playing SC games on that system most of the time anyways, and adjusting to both isn't hard at all. The controls are hardly the same. Who are you going to main in SCV? I'll most likely stay with Mitsurugi even though they changed his moveset a lot.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I'm not sure who I'll main, they made a lot of roster changes that affected me. No Setsuka, Zasalamel, and Sophitia (but it looks like her and Setsuka's moveset might be in, in some capacity with Elysium and I believe Alpha Patroklos)

I will try Cervantes and Lizardman. I need to see, what's left of my characters anyway, play like in 5. I probably will end up maining one of the new characters after some time with them. I REALLY want to play Ezio Auditore, I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan. Zwei and Viola seem pretty cool.

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan.
Assassin's Creed is by far one of my favorite game series. The games are so frikkin' amazing. Ezio would definitely be my choice in SCV if I wasn't such a Mitsurugi fan. Ezio will definitely be a good secondary though.

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
Have you played/finished AC: Revelations?!
Yes, I have it and I finished it. Absolutely amazing game. I put all my other games on hold during the play-through. I love the new additions to the multiplayer too.

If I play I'll probs play talim or Siegfried q

Unfortunately, it looks like Talim will not be in SCV. They have already released all the characters, though there is a rumor that there is still one more character that hasn't been shown yet. It would be awesome if it was an older version of Talim or something, but as for right now, she is not on the roster.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
this time check if the UofA is actually OPEN
Yes, I made sure that they were open/made sure no big home games were happening that day.

All is good.

Yes, I have it and I finished it. Absolutely amazing game. I put all my other games on hold during the play-through. I love the new additions to the multiplayer too.

Unfortunately, it looks like Talim will not be in SCV. They have already released all the characters, though there is a rumor that there is still one more character that hasn't been shown yet. It would be awesome if it was an older version of Talim or something, but as for right now, she is not on the roster.
I haven't been able to try Assassin's Multiplayer. Revelation was superb. I felt how they wrapped up Altair's and Ezio's stories was done very well. The series as a whole impressed me more with each one.

Yeah, no Talim/Yun-Seong/Seong Mi-na/Zasalamel. Right now it looks like Sophitia's and Setsuka's movesets are in, but on other characters. Hopefully there is one spot left for one of those characters. 3 mimic characters is too much.

k9.

Smash Ace
Tommy did you get the title from marvel vs. capcom? haha that would be funny.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
No, I didn't. I don't ever remember any reference to "A New in Age" in that game.

This title is the product of me being up at like 2am, with NO weed. Absolutely uncreative title.

But I'm glad you like it.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
just make all Tucson tourneys weed-related titles

well maybe not explicitly

how about "Trees Erry Day"

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
one of the Air Force guys has an apartment in town now. I personally have not been there before though.

Top Bottom