• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A More Low-Key Pick: Delzethin Looks at how Euden Might Play in Smash

The final DLC character for Smash Ultimate seems to be just over the horizon, and many fans are expecting a big, bombastic reveal as a truly special capstone to live up to the ultimate Smash game's title. However, there's another possibility. Most Smash reveal cycles have often ended not with a dramatic finish, but a moment of denouement, finishing off with something more niche or low-key, often a first-party character from then-recent game, as one of the last characters revealed. This is the sort of scenario Delzethin's latest video looks at, presenting a moveset concept for Euden, the protagonist of Dragalia Lost.

For those not in the know, Dragalia Lost is a mobile action-RPG with gacha elements produced as a collaboration between Nintendo and CyGames. This places Euden in something of an odd position: unlike other recent Nintendo IPs like Astral Chain or Ring Fit Adventure, there hasn't been any sort of spirit event for Dragalia Lost. On the flip side, Dragalia Lost is also the only currently-active Nintendo IP that has yet to actually appear on their hardware, which means that if Euden were to appear in Smash as the final DLC character, it would likely be his debut appearance on a Nintendo console.

This time around, Delzethin has put together his most complex moveset concept yet, consisting of two full movesets: one for Euden himself, and a second one for when he takes the form of the dragon Midgardsormr. In his human form, Euden would be a fairly standard, though slightly aggressive swordie, using strong disjoints to control space at mid and close range. When taking the form of Midgardsormr, Euden would effectively play like a boss character for the next 10-20 seconds, taking on a larger frame and improved movement stats, gaining innate armor, and significantly improved kill power.

Of course, this is only one of many possibilities, not just for who could be the final DLC character, but how Euden could play in Smash. We still have yet to find out when the final character will even be revealed, let alone who it will be and how they'll play.

Author's Note: How do you feel about Euden's chances for Smash? How do you think he would play if he did make it in?

Credits:
Writing & Editing: Scribe Scribe
Image: @Delzethin & Ed Mendoza

Scribe

Comments

One of the more annoying niche picks that keeps coming up.

No, gacha trash should not get a rep in Smash.
better kick out all the fire emblem, pokemon and mario characters then

now that I think about it megaman had a crossover with this so he better as well, and joker and cloud and sephiroth

oh and sonic

Last edited:
better kick out all the fire emblem, pokemon and mario characters then

now that I think about it megaman had a crossover with this so he better as well, and joker and cloud and sephiroth

oh and sonic
There's a slight difference between mainline gaming franchises that got a gacha game or crossover down the line, and a franchise that is born as and remains exclusively gacha.

There's a slight difference between mainline gaming franchises that got a gacha game or crossover down the line, and a franchise that is born as and remains exclusively gacha.
Thing is, DL is still perfect playable without having to spend a single penny. You can even get summoning materials by watching a cutscene from the story, it's that generous.

Man, it's not like they're going to have a gacha gimmick (other than Kiran which is his whole ability), in fact the only thing that Sakurai can do is giving them a shout-out and is up to them if they can have self-control, is that a bad thing?

Welp I guess we shouldn't have Crash in Smash since it gave Activision publicity in a good way.

Just like Perk says DL is pretty generous, keep in mind that there's more than it seems and there's no reason for it to be successful when the game that you're thinking of is just a gambling game with no substance.

Last edited:
how can you possibly say the franchise is going to remain as gacha when it has one entry so far?

how can you possibly say the franchise is going to remain as gacha when it has one entry so far?
When it makes a non-gacha game we can treat it as such.

For now, the same developer has made multiple attempts to break into licensed mainline games with its main franchise (Granblue) while showing no such intent with DL.

For now, the same developer has made multiple attempts to break into licensed mainline games with its main franchise (Granblue) while showing no such intent with DL.
so in short you are condemning it as a franchise while only one game exists

and of course they’re not trying anything else with it atm it’s still on going

so in short you are condemning it as a franchise while only one game exists

and of course they’re not trying anything else with it atm it’s still on going
No, I'm just not giving the franchise credit for things that do not exist, have not been announced, and haven't even been rumored. That would be stupid.

And that's not how these things go. Granblue isn't dead and is getting new games. Fate isn't dead and is getting new games. All of those Nintendo gacha games you mentioned haven't stalled development on the mainline franchises. You don't wait until one entry is dead to release new entries, because that results in lower sales for both the new games and the old games.

No, I'm just not giving the franchise credit for things that do not exist, have not been announced, and haven't even been rumored. That would be stupid.

And that's not how these things go. Granblue isn't dead and is getting new games. Fate isn't dead and is getting new games. All of those Nintendo gacha games you mentioned haven't stalled development on the mainline franchises. You don't wait until one entry is dead to release new entries, because that results in lower sales for both the new games and the old games.
then why use the term franchise at all?

you wait until you’ve finished one hame before you move onto the next. And if anything you’re just explaining why they aren’t doing anything else atm: they’re busy

then why use the term franchise at all?

you wait until you’ve finished one hame before you move onto the next. And if anything you’re just explaining why they aren’t doing anything else atm: they’re busy
Calling it a franchise is giving it the benefit of the doubt if anything.

If it isn't a franchise but is rather destined to be a singular mobile game, it has no legacy and does not deserve an inclusion in Smash. But now I'm just spitting facts.

Calling it a franchise is giving it the benefit of the doubt if anything.

If it isn't a franchise but is rather destined to be a singular mobile game, it has no legacy and does not deserve an inclusion in Smash. But now I'm just spitting facts.
ok nobody deserves to be in smash that’s not how it worked

I don't think most people know how likely this is. As far as Nintendo picks go, he should be in the top 3 most likely characters. Most will undoubtedly low-ball his chances due to them not liking his Gacha origins, but it's hardly a fan rule much less an actual rule. As for how he'd play... Well, that's an interesting question. Not the biggest fan of the game myself, but it's still got a lot of potential to translate well into Smash.

So to everyone who's bursting veins over gacha mechanics: it's literally not required to spend money, and as Perk mentioned already, you can gather pull materials without even spending a single cent. If we're gonna exclude anything even remotely related to gacha In Smash, then we might as well remove Pyra & Mythra for their game having them, and even then, Xenoblade 2 proved you can have gacha mechanics with literally 0 monetization and premium currency. There's been a stigma against gacha that's admittedly understandable, but again, you can play games that have gacha and not spend any money. Dragalia Lost is an example where with how it works it surprisingly encourages you not to spend your money, which is a refreshing and good on people who aren't gacha fans.

Speaking of, Euden is very much a sleeper pick: Dragalia has been majorly successful as an original mobile IP. It's done numbers over the course of itz lifespan. And unlike with Corrin, Euden has a complete transformation that he can use in Smash, as opposed to Corrin's partial transformations that majorly take up their set right now. Still not convinced? How about the ability to summon allies in manner similar to Ginyu in DBFZ? Or to borrow abilities from other adventurers and even tap into the power of your own weapon for an innate ability or buff? You can build teams however you want!

So yeah, despite some aspects effectively turning off certain people, Dragalia is absolutely up there with other popular first-party picks, dare I say even Waluigi, as far as being in Smash is concerned.

Why would Nintendo ask for a Dragalia character, when they very recently decided to announce that the game will be seeing fewer content updates?

Why would Nintendo ask for a Dragalia character, when they very recently decided to announce that the game will be seeing fewer content updates?
I agree that it's probably not Dragalia, but you gotta remember that the 2nd pass was chosen at the absolute latest like, two years ago, Dragalia only recently started the slow march towards death.

If, and only if, Euden gets in(Which I seriously doubt), the current state of the game wouldn't have factored into him getting in, since he'd have been chosen long before.

Granted, it'd be really, really awkward if he did get in, considering his game's basically on the decline.

Cygames has always acted like they've had very little say in regards to Draglia to be blunt. I'm gacha trash, I admit, I play Granblue a lot, and I follow Cygames social media, and only recently have they started using Euden in their own promo art for series that they manage. Up before only recently, Dragalia was almost exclusively left out, which, to me at least, makes it seem like Nintendo wears the pants in the family in regards to Dragalia.

Last edited:
I agree that it's probably not Dragalia, but you gotta remember that the 2nd pass was chosen at the absolute latest like, two years ago, Dragalia only recently started the slow march towards death.

If, and only if, Euden gets in(Which I seriously doubt), the current state of the game wouldn't have factored into him getting in, since he'd have been chosen long before.
I'm speaking from the perspective of Nintendo.
If they knew that a Dragalia character were about to get in to Smash- then by what premise would they now
1- Stop making as much new content for the game (with a hefty new bump of people who will find out about the character)
2- Specifically ANNOUNCE such (versus just doing it without an announcement)

I'm speaking from the perspective of Nintendo.
If they knew that a Dragalia character were about to get in to Smash- then by what premise would they now
1- Stop making as much new content for the game (with a hefty new bump of people who will find out about the character)
2- Specifically ANNOUNCE such (versus just doing it without an announcement)
1- Because it's a gacha game. Gacha games need people to spend, spend, spend in order to keep it going, otherwise, they cut back drastically. Dragalia has never been a 'big hit', and as someone who's friends with someone who actually works on the game, they've always made it clear that Nintendo breathes down their neck to make profit, hard.

2- Because it's a gacha game. I've been around the block several times in regards to this, and these games go one of two ways. They either announce that content will slow, or one day just up and say "We're shutting down the servers in X days."

Again though, I don't think Dragalia's going to be in Smash. The game isn't even out in Europe due to gambling laws.

I truly don't understand your logic-

Things that don't make sense to me:
First, having a big promotion for a product
Then, right before hand, telling the consumers (and possible future consumers) of the product, that the product is going to be severely diminished.

Last edited:

• having a big promotion for a product
  • right before hand, telling the consumers (and possible future consumers) of the product, that the product is going to be severely diminished.
I'm not coming at this from a perspective where Euden is coming, because I don't think he's coming. I've told you I don't think Dragalia is going to be CP11.

I was responding to your question as if you wanted to know why they were shuttering the game. If you were implying to be taking a point as if Euden was CP11, then I didn't pick up on that.

I'm not coming at this from a perspective where Euden is coming, because I don't think he's coming. I've told you I don't think Dragalia is going to be CP11.

I was responding to your question as if you wanted to know why they were shuttering the game. If you were implying to be taking a point as if Euden was CP11, then I didn't pick up on that.
My points were specifically related to why Euden couldn't be coming to the game, not with an assumption you were advocating for him.
Nintendo doesn't always comply with logical business strategies, but I cannot believe they would take the time to invest in any character in such a big way as Smash, simply to shatter that investment moments before.

First, having a big promotion for a product
Then, right before hand, telling the consumers (and possible future consumers) of the product, that the product is going to be severely diminished.
Likewise, what you're saying doesn't make much sense either. If the product in question isn't making as much money as expected, then it's only natural for them to cut back on updates. It's not like they're cutting off support entirely. Not to mention that all things could easily change if they actually do get a rep and it brings a lot of traction for the game.

Likewise, what you're saying doesn't make much sense either. If the product in question isn't making as much money as expected, then it's only natural for them to cut back on updates. It's not like they're cutting off support entirely. Not to mention that all things could easily change if they actually do get a rep and it brings a lot of traction for the game.
What I'm saying makes complete sense- Nintendo would be severely dampening a big investment (Smash inclusion) by unnecessarily revealing that the content they are pushing is going to be below current standards. Even if Dragalia were currently operating at a lost, the sensible cut to content would come after they see what Smash does for it. Or, at the very least, not specifically announcing the fewer updates right before a big launch. There is no point in risking the money they put into a Smash character promotion, by revealing unnecessary information at an inopportune time. Furthermore, if they were going to take the risk with that investment in the first place, they would likely wait to see how that promotion played out (so close to reveal, when it would actually benefit Dragalia), rather than now decide that funding for the game is too low to keep updating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom