• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A more Informed Bayonetta guide.

Koraxa

Smash Rookie
A week or so after Smash Ultimates release I posted a somewhat basic guide for Bayonetta. Since then, not only have we learned alot more about her, but we've also learned more about the game itself. So I figured it would be good to redo the guide, and give a more comprehensive breakdown of the character and how she works.

Similar to the guide before, I'm going to go over Combos, Technicals, using Witch time, how she gets kills. Some new additions will be Approaching and trying to explain her Neutral game aswell as her Advatage/Disadvantage state. I'm still not able to compress my posts unfortunately, so I will be posting each section every couple of days to avoid cluttering the boards. I would appreciate if there wasn't too much discussion until the guide is done, just so its easier for readers.

I'm going to first start out with techniques every Bayonetta player should know, be on the look out for my next update.

Koraxa

Smash Rookie
Chapter 1
Bayonetta techniques

Before I get too deep into this guide, I want to preface with that I'm writing this assuming you've got a good grasp on the game. If you're completely new to Ultimate I would recommend getting comfortable in the game first before delving into a guide like this one. Izaws Art of Smash Ultimate on YouTube is a great resource for someone new(Link)

I also want to make a key for her moves, most notably her specials. Just in case you're completely new to her moveset.

Witch Twist(upB) - WTw
Jump cancel Witchtwist - JcWTw
Afterburner Kick(aereal side B) - AbK
Downward AbK - DAbK
Heelslide(grounded side B) - Hs
Heelslide Kick(held variant) - HsK
WitchTime(down B) - Wt
Bullet Arts(any held imput) - BA
Bullet Climax(neutral B) - BC

These are what I'll use when we get to the guide, combo sections especially. Without further ado, let get into this.

Verse 1
JcWTw

Jump cancel Witchtwist: Being able to jump cancel WTw is ESSENTIAL to find success with her. Not only is it vital for combos, but it can also assist in edgegaurding and recovering. Do not skip this!

To preform a jump cancelled WTw, you simply press the jump button and within 4 frames input upB. If done Correctly you can use both WTws and still have a jump. The difference between JcWTw and WTw is the height. JcWTw goes one block higher in the training room.

Verse 2
Attack canceling

Attack cancels allow you to do turnaround aerials instantly. Bayonettas combo game benefits greatly from this. This video by My Smash Corner explains it better than I ever could (Link) I will go over why this is important in the combo sections.

Verse 3
DAbk

Downward Afterburner Kick is a very useful tool in Bayos combo game, but preforming one might not be so obvious. Traditionally, to do a DAbK, you would do a quarter circle either forwards or backwards and press B. But that's not the only way.

If you imput side B and within 5 frames press down on the control stick, you'll get a DAbK. This is new to ultimate and I personally find it easier than the quarter circle, especially if you want it immediately after a jump.

Hopefully the next Section will be out sooner than this one. In the next update, I'll be going over Bayonettas Combo game.

Last edited:

Koraxa

Smash Rookie
Chapter 2.1
Combos

Bayonetta has an incredible combo game and has no problem racking up percent, but before we can get into those strings, we have to learn about the combo tools in her kit.

Verse 1
Combo Starters

Down Tilt - probably one of her best combo starters. Can easily go combo into fair and AbK aswell as being a safe option to get the opponent in the air.

Up Tilt - knocks the opponent straight into the air. Can lead into WTw or Uair juggles.

Dash Attack - a bit niche. At low percents can lead to fair, mid percents you can go into a AbK which if done right can lead to the stock.

Fast Fall Up air - if you hit the opponent in front, you can get an Uptilt at low percents.

Down Throw - At low percents can go into downTilt, and can go into AbK at higher percents or even Fair.

Up Throw - can lead into Uair aswell as WTw. Will always put you in a good position.

Forward Air - is great for hitting tall characters, at lower percents it can combo into itself aswell as AbK. You just need to fast fall the last hit.

Verse 2
Combo finishers

As important as combo starters are, knowing how to end the can be the difference between taking the stock or losing the game.

Forward Air - By far the most reliable finisher, best for killing off the top but can also work at the side blast zones.

Neutral air - can be a safe option for finishing due to smaller end lag. Can kill off the side but you need to be right at the edge of the blast zone.

Down Air - very risky, only works after WTw2, but is great for offstage combos and not to mention pretty stylish.

Up Air - works better as a combo extender, can only really kill of the side and even then it doesn't work too well

Back Air - Is great for killing just isnt easy to line up. Good after an AbK or if you get a read on someones DI.

Verse 3
A Side Note

Bayonettas combo game while strong, is unfortunately not nearly as reliable as alot of other characters. This is because her combos are much more susceptible to DI. DIing down and away can get opponents out of latter combos and DIing left or right can make landing combo finishers much harder.

Because of this, it's very beneficial to have an understanding of how to read an opponent's DI, and understanding where Bayos moves will put your opponent to either finish or extend your combo. I find the best way to learn this is to go into training mode and play around with her moves, This really is something you could apply to any character and I'd say is essential when picking up someone new.

The next post will continue the combo section, contrary to this section though I'll be going over combo strings. Till then.

Last edited:

Phoenix_is_OK

Smash Apprentice
Are you on the Bayonetta discord? We could use some people to create writeups like these, stuff of this quality is both rare and helpful to the community.

Koraxa

Smash Rookie
Chapter 2.2
Combo Strings

This section will be the least different from the last guide I made simply because most of her combos are largely the same.

Verse 4
Simple Combos

Dtilt > Fair 123
Very consistent. At higher percents, you have to full hop to make the connection.​

DAbK > Nair/Uair
Only works at low percents, decent answer for a grounded approach while putting you in advantage.​

WTw1 > JcWTw2 > Fair 123
A total bread n butter combo, will stop working at upper mid percents though. Good for early damage. Its also very easy to do an Uair after WTw2 and continue the combo into Fair 123, just need to spend your jump.​

Utilt > Uair > Bair
Works best at mid percents, will also put you in advantage state.​

Verse 5
Combo Setups

It's very easy for Bayonettas combos to become repetitive and tedious to type out. So to save my fingers some pain I'm just going to detail some simple set ups. This is where pivot cancelling is most relevant, while pivot cancels can be used similarly to RAR(Reverse Aerial Rush) it can not be applied in some cases.

Dtilt > Fair 123 > X
You need to learn the timing for fast falling after the last hit, depending on percent you can go for AbK or a Pivot cancelled/ RAR Uair.​

Dtilt > Uair/Bair > X
The Uair/Bair needs to be Pivot cancelled as it wouldn't connect in time do it normally. Works at lower-mid percents. Bair leads best into AbK while Uair can do go into either AbK or WTw​

Dash Attack/Dtilt > Fair 1-2 > Fair 1-2 > X
Something first done by Lima(Time Stamp 7:23) and is very fun. You just need to stall and Fast fall the Second hit and repeat. Very character and percent dependent. Best at lower percents.​

Verse 6
Kill Combos

Although quite nerfed, bayonetta still is very able to ladder you to the blast zone. For most ladder combos, Jump Canceling WTw is vital, as the extra hieght is needed to properly take your opponent up. Also, depending on your opponents DI, you may need to B-reverse JcWTw(usually Wtw2) to continue the combo.

Dtilt > AbK > JcWTw1 > AbK > JcWTw2 > Fair 123
Most reliable by far, depending on the percent, it can be effective off the top or used to carry off the side at earlier percents. Also, can start from just an AbK, but needs to end with WTw2 to properly get the fair sting. If you're carrying them off the side, Nair is also an option.​

Utilt > Uair > AbK > JcWTw1 > AbK > JcWTw2 > Fair 123
Have had the most success with this one. Depending on the opponents weight, starts working around ~40% on light weights. Starts being less consistent at higher percents/ with rage. The Uair must be full hopped, I find you need to hit with the beginning hitboxes (the sides of the arch) to ensure the proper angle for AbK​

DAbK > JcWTw1 > AbK > JcWTw2 > Fair 123
Starts working around ~60-80% You dont have to jump cancel WTw and can do jump > AbK which is a bit easier, but I find you cant kill as early or as consistently. using jump > AbK is best for getting some is best off the side/ corner but will likely result in you losing your stock aswell.​

I feel like I've written a novel on Bayonetta combos and I apologize for the sheer length of this section, but it just shows how much depth Bayonettas combos have. Hopefully those who are new to her aren't too over whelmed. The next section will be on how to use Witchtime and will be out soon.

I'm also gonna leave some great sources for getting new combo ideas.

Aaron Garza
Has some very cool montages and has been at the forefront of ladder combos. Alot of their combos rely on DI and rage. The only negative with their content is there isn't often an in depth explanation on how to land them. the comment sections aren't too crazy, so isn't a bad place to turn if you're not following.

カフェラテ
Also has some great ladder combos and goes very in depth with what characters said combos work on. Though if you can't tell by the name, all the videos are in Japanese... but I find the combos often speak for themselves. Also uploads online matches which are always something good to look at as it can help you form/change your play style for the better.

These videos are just good to give a look, can't say the rest of the channels content:
Stylish Combos
Bread n' Butter Combos
Bayonetta Combos and Kill Percents/Setups

Last edited:

Koraxa

Smash Rookie
Are you on the Bayonetta discord? We could use some people to create writeups like these, stuff of this quality is both rare and helpful to the community.
Thank you so much for your kind words, I'm currently on two Bayo discords. Those being "Bayonetta" and "The Gates of Hell". I'm not all that active there though, very busy in my daily life and often find it hard to enter the convo. I'm most active in #art lol. Same name over there if youd like to contact me further. Would love to help the Bayonetta community anyway I can.

Pugglyman

Smash Rookie
I have a question, for the ladder combos, what are the imputs to make all of the twists and abks connect, more specifically where do you jump ? because when I try to ladder combo i always miss if i try to jump cancel the witch twist but if i just and cancel it with the abk i am able to hit all of the components, but also when I watch people like Lima play, I cant even tell where they are jumping in order to get both witch twists, could someone please clarify this ?

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I have a question, for the ladder combos, what are the imputs to make all of the twists and abks connect, more specifically where do you jump ? because when I try to ladder combo i always miss if i try to jump cancel the witch twist but if i just and cancel it with the abk i am able to hit all of the components, but also when I watch people like Lima play, I cant even tell where they are jumping in order to get both witch twists, could someone please clarify this ?
It looks like you answered your own question. I also struggle with this and the answer I've come to is 'depends'.

Based on character weight, fall speed, and percentage you really have to determine when the best time to jump is for yourself. I've realized jumping for the ABK is probably more consistent, but there is no one-size-fits-all solution. I think the only real way to figure it out is just experience, or at least that's what I tell myself.

Koraxa

Smash Rookie
Chapter 3
Witch Time
Witch Time is Bayonettas signature move but also the most controversial in her kit and possibly in all of smash. This move also received a considerable nerf in Ultimate. Witch time is classified as a Counter type move, but works differently than any other, as its not an instant retaliation. Instead you're able to move/manipulate your opponent how every you wish to an certain degree. This is where Witch times controversy lies, as for many players in smash 4, Witch time even at early percent could mean the stock. In Ultimate however, this is far from the case.

Verse 1
How Witch time works

WT relies on two* factors to calculate the duration, those being Opponent Percentage and Frequency of use. To give an example, getting WT on your opponent at 0% after spamming it is gonna give you a lot Less WT, while WTing an opponent at 120% when WT is fresh will got you quite a bit more. Just like any move, the more it's used, the more stale it'll become and your opponent will be in Wt for a shorter duration. Sometimes can even be as little as a few frames.
*EDIT: Changed from three to two, move strength is not a factor in calculating WT, tested it myself :)

Verse 2
Frame Data

It's good to look at frame data for any move really but Wt had some interesting points. The Counter activates on frame 8-23 and bat within(half damage+no knockback) is from 24-35. Its possible to get both Wt and bat within but its a fairly rare occurrence. In my testing I found that upon activation, Wt grants you ~60 frames of intangibility which includes the end lag of using Wt itself. I found a couple times that I got more but would need more testing to confirm. speaking of endlag, the First Active Frame(FAF) of Wt is 67 which is very rough. The FAF upon activating Wt however is ~52 give or take a frame, certainly better but still a bit limiting. avoid whiffing this move as it will be easy to punish.

This is good to know because hitboxes can still be active in Wt, namely lingering hitboxes and multi-hits. Unless you get a really long Wt, it could be wiser to just go for a grab or do a quick tilt as opposed to doing a smash attack. Wouldn't want to end up on a top 10 bayo fails compilation.

Verse 3
How to use Witch time

Wt is not a necessary move to use when playing Bayonetta, in fact most high level Bayos don't ever seem to use it. However as an intermediate or novice, it's easy to fall back on WT as your go to for getting out of tough situations and getting kills. Though its never good to rely on just one option as a it might not take much for your opponent to catch on,

How I see it WT can be used two ways. It can be used often, to either get yourself out of disadvantage or gaining an advantage. WT has alot of conversion potential. Depending on how much time you get, setting up for a combo can be fairly easy. This is a fairly risky way to use Wt as it is a very punishable move when whiffed. You also need to be able to anticipate your opponent as WT has a fairly slow start up.

The other way to use Wt is as a trump card, this is how I generally see it used in high level play. Often if you're well matched with the opponent Wt can be a great way to punish their impatience to end the game. But it also requires you to be patient, have the ability to avoid the opponent without putting yourself in disadvantage and having an understanding of your opponents habits and options, in other words making a Read.

The next Section will be on Bayonettas Kill options, hopefully that chapter isnt too short...

Last edited:

Bld

Smash Rookie
Wt relies on three factors to calculate the duration, those being Opponent Percentage, Move Strength and Frequency of use. To give an example, getting Wt on a jab while your opponent is a 0% is gonna give you alot Less Wt, while Wting a smash attack at 120% will got you quite a bit more. And just like any move, the more it's used, the more stale itll become and your opponent will be in Wt for a shorter duration. Sometimes can even be as little as a few frames.
Witch Time In Smash Ultimate doesn't use move strength of what the opponent used as a factor to calculate the slowdown duration. WTing a jab is no different than WTing a smash attack. This is misinformation form the smash wiki and this is false.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
Wheres da rest? Or was that last line a joke? Either way im enjoying this read. I recently saw some Bayo players on youtube and became super interested. Im and GW main since Melee and haven't really found any champs I like at all until now.

Koraxa

Smash Rookie
Chapter 4.1
Kill Options

Killing is one of Bayonettas biggest struggles in smash ultimate. Having only two killing aerials, two "kill" throws and an overall inconsistent combo game it's easy to see why she has such a hard time. However it's still information that's is good to know, and there are a few strategies to help circumvent this issue.

Verse 1
Smash Attacks

Obviously smash attacks will kill at higher percents, I personally don't really even consider them kill options because every character has them, here are some notes about her Smashes though.

Up Smash - I would say its her best smash attack, its launch angle is not LSI-able so it can be effective anywhere on stage. It has reasonably disjointed hitboxes aswell which can help avoid the clanking issue, especially in WT. Its upward reach can snuff out high recoveries aswell as hitting above platforms.​

Forward Smash - Received a "buff" in Ultimate, you can now angle Fsmash slightly upward or downward. Personally I think this was used to justify making the hitboxes smaller but that's salt talking. Being one of the weakest smash attacks in the game it's not that great for killing. While also disjointed, the hit boxes are active all at once which makes clanking somewhat inevitable. I find throwing Fsmash out randomly fairly effective as it's not something opponents seem to expect. If spaced and angled correctly, is able to hit opponents hanging on ledge. Is her fasted smash attack coming out at frame 17, only one frame faster than Usmash.​

Down Smash - Works best at ledge as it not only can hit below but also can spike. When hitting grounded opponents however it will send upwards, just not as sharply as Usmash. Not really an effective replacement but if you're opponent is at a really high percent can be an effective disrespect/ surprise option. Something special about Dsmash is that it's a two hit move, a hitbox appears on Bayos foot that will hit the opponent into the actual Dsmash. Ideally it will knock an opponent off stage into the spike, though its only really effective in a shield break situation. Dsmash is her slowest smash attack coming out at frame 20/25​

Bullet Arts - Now BAs isn't going to be netting you any kills but it can save you if your smash attach falls short. The hitboxes that extend out act like Foxs lasers, but theres also a hitbox on each firing gun that will stun the opponent if they get too close. Will counter grab no problem but will be easily beaten out by other hitboxes. To do the BAs version of Bayos smash attacks, after realsing the charge just press and hold the attack button again.

Verse 2
Aerials

Bair - Only truly effective for killing on the sweet spot, so spacing is needed for this move to be consistent. Bayos only spamable option for killing, though I try to avoid spamming it as I fear move staling. Depending on weight can start killing from 120 onward. Obviously more effective if hit closer to the side blast zones. This move also benefits from FFing it, especially if you're against a shorter character. Isn't all that fast coming out at frame 11.

Dair - A bit more dependable in my opinion but only because it's an easier move to land. The move has two hits, the falling kick and the landing hit, with the kick hitting into the landing it works almost like a kill setup but is still escapable and avoidable. The second hit is what kills so connecting that hit is more important than spacing here. Same kill range as Bair. Even though its extremely slow coming out at frame 18, its a decent burst option if using the intsant shorthop aerial short cut Smash Ult. has

Bullet Climax - Great to use with edge guarding a high recover without really putting yourself in danger. Has a decent range, can easily cover anywhere off stage when used at ledge, BC can also be charged. These charge shots are what will do the killing, they only last for the first part of the move then just go to weak bullets if you keep shooting. BC can only be charged for so long before you start shooting automatically though it can be shield canceled after its been fully charged, but the window is somewhat small.

Verse 3
Throws

Bayonetta has two throws with kill potential, but I hesitate to call them kill throws. Unlike actual kill throws such as Ness back throw, Bayos require a much higher percent to reach their kill window and even in that window the opponent can still LSI to survive. Moves like Ftilt 1 and FF Fair 1 can be used to get a grab but aren't true grab set-ups. its always good to throw in a few pummels when you get a grab, not only are pummels great in Ultimate but a few well placed pummels can mean the difference of the game.

Forward Throw - Arguably the better of the two throws, mainly due to having an earlier window starting around 150%. This is only at ledge however and unless at a much higher percent wont be effective from anywhere else on stage.​

Down Throw - Has a much later kill window starting around 200%. The benefit of Down Throw is that it will send the opponent upwards not only meaning it cant be LSIed but can be effective anywhere on stage. Good to consider for stages with platforms also for stages like Kalos that have extremely large side blast zones​

Verse 4
Kill Setups
Dtilt > Bair

A fairly decent set up, but has a somewhat low range to land. It just depends on how high Dtilt send the opponent. If they're sent lower you can do an Attack cancelled Bair or a pivot(turning around in place) short hop Bair. If they're sent higher you'll have to do a pivot full hop Bair which is a tight input but very doable.

Fair 1 > Fsmash

This is a very hard connection I've found in practice, Fair 1 needs to be fast fallen and hit as low to the ground as possible. Its likely theres also a Specific hit box thats you need to hit with, but that's a bit out of my depth for testing. Something good to practice in the training room. Definitely a riskier option but one to be aware of.

Verse 5
Kill Combos

As I said at the beginning of the Chapter, i don't really consider alot of Bayos combo game to be consistent. There are just so many launch angles, hitboxes and opponent DI to even consider saying something will always work. The only combo I can comes close to "always working" is AbK > WTw1 > AbK > JcWTw2 > Fair 123(top blastzone)/ Nair(side blastzone). Whether it after a Dtilt or Down throw or just catching an opponent in the air, this is by far the best combo for killing Bayonetta has. If the opponent is DIing up you can use your jump for the second AbK though this wont likely be the case. even just catching someone with WTw either of ledge or High up on the screen can work but as I mentioned in Chapter 2 ending with WTw2 is needed to get the proper combo finisher to work.

Well for a Character that doesn't have any kill options this sure is a long chapter, I even have to split it into two! Really its not that Bayo lacks kill options, its that all her options suck. Its certainly possible with patches her options will get better but for now this is all we're workin with. In the next half I'll be going over strategies that can alleviate this issue. Will be out Quite soon!

Koraxa

Smash Rookie
Witch Time In Smash Ultimate doesn't use move strength of what the opponent used as a factor to calculate the slowdown duration. WTing a jab is no different than WTing a smash attack. This is misinformation form the smash wiki and this is false.
Thanks for the heads up, i dont use WT all that often(especially at low%) so it made sense just from experience it seemed lower strength moved gave me less but some quick testing proved otherwise. nice to know WT really just sucks that much!

Last edited:

rdllngr

Smash Rookie
Please post about strategies and how to connect WTw to JcWTw with higher success rate (any suggestion of control setup).

Koraxa

Smash Rookie
Chapter 4.2
Kill Options: Finding ways around
As everyone and their grandma knows Bayonetta has an unreasonably hard time killing in Ultimate, but that doesnt mean you have to pack up your bags just yet. There are a few methods we can employ to circumvent her inability to close out stocks. These methods will be the topic of this chapter.

Verse 6
Edge Guarding
Even with Bayos extreme recovery strength, edge guarding is high risk activity, but the reward of closing a stock makes the risk worth it. You risk retaliation and even more so you risk over extending, either by going out too far and/or misusing resources.

BA Nair/Uair is one of Bayonettas greatest edge guarding tools if only for the fact that you dont expend your recovery specials. By doing the extended version(BA) you create a constant hitbox that your opponent has to deal with. The hitboxes are fairly low strength but will knock the opponent farther from stage or into the side for a stage spike the former being most preferable as its likely they could tech the stage. I can just see a Captain falcon doing a stage tech into Dair.. anyways! BA Uair is slight better to BA Nair, only cause the hitbox covers more screen area making it much harder to air dodge

WTw1 is great against opponents trying to come to ledge from above or you can drop below and catch them if they're far enough out. Is often a good low risk option because after you hit the move you can jump right back to the stage. The knockback of WTw1 will put the opponent infront of you, so it's best to do it pointed away from the stage, You can push them out further by doing a jump fair string after which can just kill at really high percents. You also can go into something like AbK > JcWTw2 > Fair/Nair if you want to be stylish, but it's the less safe option as you use more resources and your opponent could potenially slip out.

WTw2 can have the same effectiveness of WTw1 but your more likely to hit WTw2 when chasing an opponent high up off stage, in this scenario Jump canceling WTw1/WTw2 is best to optimize height and mobility. Unlike WTw1, things like Fair and even sometimes Dair can be done directly after so you dont need to spend your jump.

AbK is not really much of an edge guarding tool. It can be effective for chasing an opponent far off stage and oppressing them with your other tools and it can be used to catch them and carry them either further off stage or into a blastzone. More than anything though, I believe AbK is best for retreating. Having a high amount of horizontal distance, it is good for getting back to stage especially if you've spent most of if not all of your vertical resources edge guarding. BA AbK does have a slight increase in horizontal distance(about a block in the training room), something to consider when recovering.

Aerials can be effective but are more likely to be following up on a special as opposed to using them on their own. Their usage on their own would be no different than if you used them as kill options. The exception being Fair 1 can be used to push out unsuspecting opponent, but combing Fair 1 into itself isnt all that reliable, at most you might be able to fake them out and get Fair 1 > Fair 123. trying for more than that wouldn't be reliable.

WT does have a place as an edge guarding tool, primarily though as combating your opponents attempt to recover. Certain Up Bs like Ness/Lucas or King K Rools are hard to challenge with just a move. By using WT you can contest them and either continue the edge guard or just close the stock.

Verse 7
Conditioning
With Bayos combo focused moveset, conditioning the opponent to expect certain follow up couldn't be easier. For example, a easy follow up after Dtilt would be Fair. After doing this combo enough, the opponent will begin to expect it, this is when you punish!... well kinda. You see conditioning is only half the battle.

Before utilizing a conditioned option, you must know what your opponent prefers to do when put in a disadvantage. The actions they have to choose from can fit info three categories, Defensive, Aggressive and neutral. A defense option might be airdodging either in place or away/ to the ground. Aggressive would be going for an aerial and neutral would simply be doing nothing. All these options are available to them when you attempt to punish a conditioned opponent, and the option they prefer will depend both on the player aswell as they character they are playing.

Now back to the example, you've used Dtilt > Fair 10 times and know its what they expect, you get another Dtilt and now have choose the best option for their preferred response. If they air dodge, charging a smash attack is good to punish after the invincibility ends, depending on stage positions and percentage getting a grab can also be effective. If they're more aggressive going for WT can be effective, spot dodging pushing the landing is also a good option. Neutral is the least likely option to be picked but is Also the hardest to prepare for, in this case its likely they're aware of the conditioning and are waiting for you to commit to an option they can punish themselves. For a neutral response, patience is your friend.

Verse 8
Baiting

Bayonetta still benefits from a bait and punish play style in ultimate, her punishes just arent nearly so brutal. Baiting is quite similar to Conditioning but is more general. You dont have to play half a set of even half a match to successfully bait.

To put it simply, Baiting is when you perform a noncommittal action in hopes of getting a response from your opponent for you to then punish. Baiting methods fit into two categories, Moves and Movements. Moves refer to the actual special and attack inputs where as Movements refer to where you position your self on stage and in the air. Now let's go over how this relates to Bayonetta.

Moves
The majority a Bayonettas moves are have a fair bit of endlag, she doesn't have any deceptively quick FAFs built into her kit(think Smash 4 ganon upsmash). The only exception is Bullet Climax... kinda.​

BC does have a relatively decent amount of endlag, but the up side is you can cancel it! Once you begin charging BC, you can only cancel once it's been fully charged. Because of this you can bait out an option from your opponent and that you can punish. The most common use of this is when you're opponent is recovering high to bait out an air dodge. Depending on their position you can punish with a smash attack or if the air dodge farther off stage you can more easily edge guard the opponent as you've made them use a resource.​
I've seen Upsmash used as a way to bait an opponent on ledge but besides that Bayo doesn't have much in the way of moves​
Movements
Movement is probably the most important tool you're given in smash. When it comes to Baiting there are many options that movement gives you, or even lack of movement. Standing still, or just walking away can bait the opponent to approach. For bayonetta this is something to consider greatly, as her biggest weakness is a lack of approach options. What can be more effective how ever is making your opponent think you're going to approach.​
Short hopping/fast falling is a great way to bait out an option from an aerial opponent. By going towards them and retreating, you're creating a space they think is safe to be in, or atleast that's the idea. Say for example you Sh and they air dodge away, depending on percent you can punish with an Aerial or AbK/WTw to go for a combo.​
Dash dancing is good to keep your opponent guessing on where you'll be. A good what to use it for baiting would be to dash in then do a dash back. That's dashing out then immediately back in towards the opponent. The bait lies in them thinking you're not approaching any more. Say dashing in makes them shield, but when they see you dash out the might stop shielding cause they think they're safe but really have made themselves open for attack. You can even take this a step further. If your opponent expects you to dash back, they're likely to stay in shield you then can change your option and just dash in for a grab Or even dash back into a grab if an attack is what they expect. Whats important here is to keep the cards in you hand, when youre the one making the choices like that youre in Advantage, and for Bayo its best to stay there as long as possible.​

This chapter proved much more difficult to write than I anticipated, I believe thats largely due to the fact that these concepts are a bit out of my league, baiting and conditioning atleast. Hopefully the information i provided is helpful or can get you thinking about ways to incorporate them into your own playstyle. I may revisit this chapter if anything ever becomes more clear to me or i find a better way of explaining things. Here are some videos on the topic of baiting that may explain the concept better, one video goes over the idea of giving up space as a way to bait out an opening. One video uses melee for an example but the concept can still be applied to smash as a whole

Space baiting
Baiting breakdown
Did I mention baiting?

As for the next chapter, it will cover something i seemed to have over looked....

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I learned recently from watching Shadow_PR that there's a semi-consistent kill set up as Bayo. At high percents, if you hit the late part of ABK, it can combo into double jump bair. I think this is DI dependant, but it is nice to have something that's at least some what reliable.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Bair - Only truly effective for killing on the sweet spot, so spacing is needed for this move to be consistent.”

Seriously smash team? You can’t even make Bayonetta’s slow backair a consistent kill move?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I'll post this here too since it's relevant.

Bayo is the type of character where you overwhelm the opponent in order to win, as shown in the video. I don't think playing patient is the way to go. Gives the opponent too much opportunity to take her down.

Mixing things up combo wise is a good way to go about it as well. I hope to mix things up as good as this montage I just found.

https://youtu.be/LVwzR3ri2Jg

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Bayo is the type of character where you overwhelm the opponent in order to win, as shown in the video. I don't think playing patient is the way to go. Gives the opponent too much opportunity to take her down.
It sucks that characters that work that way will get screwed over by rage, comeback mechanics, and inconsistent kill moves.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
It sucks that characters that work that way will get screwed over by rage, comeback mechanics, and inconsistent kill moves.
I agree. I'm really disliking how the only move that nets a kill out of combo is her bair. It's worse that they made bair hard to land as well...

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I agree. I'm really disliking how the only move that nets a kill out of combo is her bair. It's worse that they made bair hard to land as well...
They played the same ****ing joke with Inkling’s fair. It’s honestly ridiculous that the smash team makes the only kill moves of these characters with **** kill-power so badly designed. It’s like they built these characters to lower the gap between casuals and and skilled players, by giving the loser some comeback **** with rage and undeserved longevity. People go on to tell me that rage isn’t that bad or that giving these characters better designed kill tools will make them broken, as if they don’t deserve to die at 130% or even 150%. I find this so damn frustrating because that’s around the time when rage is at its worst, but complaining about trash design is somehow trolling. These idiots will point out to matches with match ups that the character excells at and dare say that “killing isn’t an issue.” Because, having any sort of decent killing tools that can kill at 120% on ledge is somehow broken in comparison to shield breakers, Gamingwatch down smash combo, Rob side-b, flipkick, Waft, and Pacman’s stupid bell. You know, actual jank **** that kills way too early?

I’m sorry if that sounds like a random tangent, I just can’t stand the dumb BS in Smashboards. They’re too focused about who is great and who is **** when it’s nothing but whining. No one really cares about refining trash design choices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom