• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A mode where every Stock was a different character.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If this has been brought up before (and it probably has). Please ignore, but how would you all feel if Ultimate included this type of mode for regular smashes?

Play like a 3 stock match and your characters are Mario, Little Mac and Zelda, and when Mario got ko'd Mac would come out next, for a brief example. Project M had this and it was a great addition, and it gave some tournaments a King of Fighters like vibe, where people had several characters and kits to play with, and order could determine some cool things against their opponents.

Smash Tour in Smash 4 for all it's faults actually had this in it's final battle of the mode, but alas it wasn't a selectable mode, since they've shown they can implement it, I think they should for just a mode by itself in Smash Ultimate. What about you all?

osby

Smash Obsessed
It might require some work, since in Smash Tour, you collect the fighters, not select them from regular CSS. Apart from that I think it might be fun. Not a big wish but still.

Kaberman

Smash Rookie
So it'd be kinda like team battle from Tekken?

Yeah sounds good, that mode was great.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
It might require some work, since in Smash Tour, you collect the fighters, not select them from regular CSS. Apart from that I think it might be fun. Not a big wish but still.
True, but I don't think it'd be super difficult for Sakurai and his experienced team to pull off at this point haha.

So it'd be kinda like team battle from Tekken?

Yeah sounds good, that mode was great.
KoF was my first example, but yeah that works too. It' be really funny for Ironmans too "whats our stock count, 65+"

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Interesting extension of this thought - Swap out your fighters/stocks like Pokemon Trainer and have them all save their current %.

The meta for such a mode would be super interesting. Characters for building damage, characters for finishing off stocks, saving a character with rage that might have advantages due to having rage. Etc.

Basically have it function like the 2D traditional team-fighter modes, like DBZF's standard gameplay. Translated to Smash it would have some really interesting aspects.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Interesting extension of this thought - Swap out your fighters/stocks like Pokemon Trainer and have them all save their current %.

The meta for such a mode would be super interesting. Characters for building damage, characters for finishing off stocks, saving a character with rage that might have advantages due to having rage. Etc.

Basically have it function like the 2D traditional team-fighter modes, like DBZF's standard gameplay. Translated to Smash it would have some really interesting aspects.
So basically a marvel/DBFZ take on Smash, I could get behind that for a mode.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
One of my most wanted features. Like the OP said, they already do it in Smash Tour. If you could just separate it from the terrible board game.

Not sure how that'd be possible without additional buttons. Trainer does it by sacrificing a move from each Pokemon's moveset to transform with. You can't do that with the rest of the characters in the game.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Been dying to see this mode as a reality some day since playing Project M's All Star Brawl-mode that functioned exactly like this. Would be really exciting to see the aforementioned Marvel/DBFZ-take on it as well implemented.

One of my most wanted features. Like the OP said, they already do it in Smash Tour. If you could just separate it from the terrible board game.

Not sure how that'd be possible without additional buttons. Trainer does it by sacrificing a move from each Pokemon's moveset to transform with. You can't do that with the rest of the characters in the game.
Maybe hold the Taunt-buttons corresponding to other-characters to let them swap? You could hold the button in as the taunt takes place, and the swap happens in that fashion (kinda like how Marvel does it).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Maybe hold the Taunt-buttons corresponding to other-characters to let them swap? You could hold the button in as the taunt takes place, and the swap happens in that fashion (kinda like how Marvel does it).
Would basically make the mode unplayable on Joy-Cons. Not sure Nintendo would be down with that.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero

I've thought about this a lot myself, but I've also come to the conclusion that Smash would have to be completely rebalanced and redesigned for this.

There's a reason why team-based fighters generally don't feature pure 1v1s; they're just not balanced for that thing.

As a separate game, though (perhaps developed by Capcom with Sora Ltd. just providing the engine), that would be great.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I approve of this mode.

Take it a step further; in addition to this mode, include a team mode where when the 1st stock dies, the next character controlled by another player on your team comes in.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I approve of this mode.

Take it a step further; in addition to this mode, include a team mode where when the 1st stock dies, the next character controlled by another player on your team comes in.
This would be cool for bigger lobbies, although hopefully Ultimate's online is good in the first place.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
This one really is such a no-brainer in my opinion. Like you mentioned,, it literally already exists (in it's worst possible form) so if no one internally pushed for it to be included as a normal default mode, I'll be pretty surprised.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
This would be cool for bigger lobbies, although hopefully Ultimate's online is good in the first place.
I'm going to guess that the whole reason why we're going to have to pay to play online for the Switch is to support the servers for Smash Bros. Ultimate.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
This is a dope ass mode. Project M already has this, disappointed only 1 person brought it up so far, and its fun as all hell. Espicially the 1$ side events with this mode and its all random select with 4 stocks.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The SSE had this. And of course Pokemon Trainer plays like this if he does not use his vB.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'd be down for this or some sort of character switch mode. Hell, if team battles were allowed maybe each person could have a choice of maybe 3 characters and it could be 6 characters vs 6 characters or something like that.

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
If you chose characters twice would or could they have different colors?if so that’s an excuse for more alts

Top Bottom