• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A master's lesson in Hammer spacing

kingPiano

Smash Ace
devovles into all-out hammer war at 2:20
climaxes at 2:58

I know it's old but thought it was worth a highlight outside the Video section
Armada has a sense of humor :smash:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I'm pretty good at hammer spacing. I can ledge cancel them and get reverse sweet spots.
I convinced my friend to play all Kirby at a local since I was as well. I was watching him play against a Jiggypuff and they missed a rest....he kinda freaked out in excitement, but he didn't know what to do so he panicked and ended up just doing a lame Up Smash, not even charged. I was so mad that he didn't Hammer Puff into oblivion. I will never forgive him. I am contractually obligated to end at least one stock with a hammer and one with a Stone during a best of 3 set.

On a side note I just saw your GF against OngBak's Falcon. Your Kirby was beautiful and inspirational. Bravo.

Kaddy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Hammer is like the swaggest rest punish Kirby has.
I have been doing some research into hammer in the neutral game and it's actually surprising how you can condition people into getting hit by it. The idea behind it is that your opponent is mainly keeping an eye out for Kirby's f-tilt and d-tilt as grounded neutral moves. The extra range of hammer can catch people off guard when they think they're safe. And let's be honest, what opponent is actually going to play around Kirby's hammer until they get hit by it?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
You know what else is pretty hilarious and surprisingly works sometimes?

Dash Dance > Hammer

Fools get whacked trying to rush in.

And when get a kill off DD Hammer you pull out your inflatable hammer you've been hiding this entire time and give em a RL *boop* on the head for extra humiliation :smash:

Last edited:

Noce

Smash Rookie
I convinced my friend to play all Kirby at a local since I was as well. I was watching him play against a Jiggypuff and they missed a rest....he kinda freaked out in excitement, but he didn't know what to do so he panicked and ended up just doing a lame Up Smash, not even charged. I was so mad that he didn't Hammer Puff into oblivion. I will never forgive him. I am contractually obligated to end at least one stock with a hammer and one with a Stone during a best of 3 set.
I would of never forgiven him either. The feeling you get when you land a hammer is amazing :laugh:. I try my best to get at least one hammer hit in every match.

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Dash dancing hammer is not a safe option unless you're going for a really hard read.
The hardest. But the majority people do not know the spacing of the hammer and they often do not know it's timing either. So I find that when it's thrown out in that manner they will often rush into it, because of the range it's also awkward to punish and it's end lag is only as long D smash and F Smash.

Sometimes even dashing in full speed and using hammer to stop all your momentum to perform the move can catch them or a wavedash forward > backwards hammer.

It's silly but sometimes as a mix up the move is just fast enough that it can't really be reacted to or punished before it comes out. If you are playing someone very familiar with the Hammer move then they will be able to punish it, but it's not often you match people that know Kirby let alone Kirby's that use the grounded Hammer.

Last edited:

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
28 frames of lag on the down smash I believe, and then 30 frames of lag on the hammer. Either ways these aren't moves you'd wanna use in the neutral as much as I love the hammer.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
28 frames of lag on the down smash I believe, and then 30 frames of lag on the hammer. Either ways these aren't moves you'd wanna use in the neutral as much as I love the hammer.

Yes it's 28, 29, 30 for Dsmash, Fsmash, Hammer respectively. All about the same; wasn't meant to be a pin point comparison, but rather a reminder since you will see Dmash and Fsmash thrown out and they have about as much endlag (they are of course much better since they come out faster). But on the end 1-2 frames to a human is indecipherable on reaction since it takes most humans 16-20 frames to react.

Of course it's not a move to use in neutral; none of those are, but sometimes you have to have a bit of fun and mess with the opposition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom