• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Luigi Q&A discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I decided we needed a Q&A (Question and Answer) discussion since it seems alot of new players are asking questions who, what, how, and such with Luigi. Feel free to ask me questions on regarding Luigi.

Note: I'm no where the best with Luigi but I do have some decent knowledge of him

Also anything un-related with smash or personal stuffs I'll be happy to answer them and if anyone who wants to answer other's questions feel free to answer for me since it'll save me time and energy :laugh:

So askkkk away!

Folt

Smash Ace
Do you have any possible tactics or strategies when facing of against Kirby? I'm playing
against friends who main him so it would be nice to know some tricks.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I haven't fought any good kirbys yet but I do know some a thing or two about Kirby.

Kirby has a great aerial game almost relatively equal to Luigi's and has a great ground game as well. Throwing a shorthop fireballs and some grounded fireballs can pressure Kirby and forcing him to approach you. Also a SH fireball to a tornado is a great racking up damage as well as utilts.

Fighting kirby can be abit tricky espically if they like to abuse the inhale. You must approach carefully when their near the edge because they can inhale you, drop down and spit you out underthe stage where you can't possibly recover or they'll just suicide.

Also Kirby's pretty lightweight and Luigi has alot of killing power against Kirby espically with his shoryuken. It kills Kirby around 41% so that's pretty early. Watch out for Kirby's Fsmash and hammar as they can kill and have decent range

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Oh, Kirby...

Approaching him: Might as well use the Fireball/Tornado Approach; this is if the Kirby isn't Final Cutter happy, if he is then Aerial approach him.

Kirby is an aerial monster much like Luigi, his FAir can't be Air Dodged for the whole duration and his BAir is much like your BAir, except your BAir slightly outranges Kirby to a small amount. Use it.

Don't stay on the ground too much. Kirby's FSmash lunges forward and has a deceptive hitbox... maybe it's not as deceptive as Pound, but eh. DThrow into FAir/BAir=>UAir. Keep him above or behind you. The occasional NAir will screw up momentum for Kirby.

DO NOT LET HIM COPY YOUR ABILITY; Heck, don't even let him inhale you. He's a lot better at spamming your Fireballs because they can be shorthopped AND puffed. You don't need that hassle. Dodge Final Cutter and the projectile if necessary and Punish with a FIRE PUNCH (If you're close enough!) Or a grab or an FSmash.

Don't even try to edgeguard him. If you're gonna try, try a DAir Spike; you might get lucky and KO him off the side instead.

Basically an even match because Kirby can't sue some of his combos on you, but it's harder to fight him aerially because of his multi jump attribute.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Basically airdodge horizontally the matchup discussion here should say something about pikachu. Most pikachus tend to dsmash then into down b or when your at least expecting it, a QAC to downb basically a star ko.

Edit: oh i also forgot, you can DI out of Pika's Dsmash without taking so much damage and the hugeknockback in the end ruining a setup for his downb thunder

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
What's a good way to deal with Sheik? Sheik's dmash and fsmash last too long to spotdodge. Fsmash has deceptive range that makes it difficult to stay close in front. His needles force you to be agressive because there's nothing you can do about them. Usmash hits all around him, making it difficult to approach by air or the sides. Lastly, Sheik can match Luigi in the air with his super quick aerials.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
First off, isn't Sheik a "he?" I dunno the Zelda series so correct me if I'm wrong here lol. Edit: * I meant to say *she*!! * I swear my head feels upside down lol*

I know Sheik has a hard time killing, her recovery is easily edge-hogged, combos like nuts from F-tilt, has low priority air moves, sweet-spotted U-Smash does crazy knock back. Avoid all means with spotdodge wars with her. You will lose at that since her smashs last long just as Zelda's. Spacing is vital because her Fsmash has decent range so beware of that. Her needles cut through fireball and clank with tornado so that approach is renderly useless.

Abuse her recovery. Keep her offstage as much as you can as she has crap recovery with a tether, and her upb hardly has horizontal and vertical recovery but beware it still damages you (duh). Since Luigi's a floaty, you break her ftilt+utilt juggling with Nairs, Dairs or just DI outta the way. She dies pretty early with a shoryuken at 41% so a quick dair > nair > utilt > upair combo gives a quick 40%+ right off the bat.
Pick stages where she can't spam her needles are you like battlefield (abuse the platforms) Lylat Cruise ( stage tilts occasionally giving you a slight advantage or disadvantage since her recovery is crap)

When you approach, try going with SH fireball so she'll feel pressured and when your just about correct distance away from her, go with the tornado so you'll start off your combos and most projectiles dont intend to use theirs up close combat. Also RAR-ing with Bair is still a viable approach option just incase it gets too predictable.

Don't attack her if shes below you because her upsmash > everything we got. It has sweetspot and does crazy knockback. If your going for counterpicks, go with luigi's mansion because projectiles get canceled due to the walls of the mansion.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Shiek's a girl. -_-

Lucky for you Shiek can't keep Luigi in an FTilt lock for more than 2 hits but that still leads into a nasty USmash so DI away.

Shield FSmash when you see it and retaliate with a grab (If you're in front of her) or an F/DSmash(When you're behind her).

FTilt actually becomes of some use in this matchup, it can frustrate a Shiek in recovery if you happen to nail it to her while she's off the edge and sends her at a pretty low trajectory. Seems familiar from Melee, huh? *CoughFoxCough*

Staying below is the key. If she happens to try and pull of a DAir in your face, dodge it (Yes it CAN be dodged :O!) and punish accordingly!

Hippie took a lot of what I was gonna say. :/ *Shoots Hippie*

CR4SH

Smash Lord
First off, isn't Sheik a "he?" I dunno the Zelda series so correct me if I'm wrong here lol.
Reading the rest of your post I'm sure you meant "she", in which case yes. Shiek=Zelda, just an alter-ego to hide from gannondorf.

The one good piece of advice I have about shiek is to anticipate her recovery. If she UpB teleports back onto the stage, predict where, and punish her, preferably with a shoryuken. That piece of lag is one of her biggest openings imo, and it has the added bonus that you can sometimes force her to do it. Just make sure you don't predict it TOO well, or it'll be nasty for you, since her re-appearance is also a pretty powerful attack.

EvolveOrDie

Smash Cadet
I have a question so you know how pit and ganodorf have the angelic and demonic step (as there called) where they get a slide out of there spotdodges by hold or flicking (not quite sure which one is best) opposite the direction desired then pressing the desired direction. I can't test it right now because I lack a wii and the game but could anybody try this out. If it's possible then the number of upB KO's would skyrocket.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I understand what you meant the way Pit and Ganon spotdodges but after that, you lost me there. Mind explaining abit clearly? Unless your talking about more chances of a shoryuken hitting them or something...

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Ok i saw kirby and Pika help was needed so ill post real quick.

Ok, Spam Fireballs for Kirbys. Punish with upB when at appropriate %. Also, since kirbs like the bair wall approach, punish with good spacing and a well timed up tilted Fsmash.

Pika, have to play very smart. Same game with a ROB, they do the spot dodge d smash. Hard to get out of yes, just space. Space well, remember to hold shield. Both can be comboed easily. Play very aggressive towards pikachu players. Very aggressive. Turn the tables on them. oh, play aggressive off edge against pika, pika cant punish hard off edge, hes more a on stage controller. Remeber that, gimp with rising tornados.

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
I'm making Weegee a secondary, and I feel that I'm ok with him.
Problem is, I don't know where the spike is on his Dair. I've done it before, by accident, and I can't find it again.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
The spike has a very smallhit box. It's some where behind him where he twirls his legs. I just know the enemy has to be below/behind you. Try going to training mode, put falco on to jump 45%, jump at the same time with your back turned and you'll be spiking on command.

Bump for the lulz

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Edit: oh i also forgot, you can DI out of Pika's Dsmash without taking so much damage /QUOTE]

Which direction do you DI?
Lulz, I never DI'd out of Pika's Dsmash before XD I take it like a man, if I'm expecting a thunder, I just fastfall airdodge and quickly punish most of the time. Probably if I Di'd it'd probably to the right.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
about the shiek match up i was a shiek mainer in melee and i play her alot in friendlies not pro but yeah stay away from the needles its an easy 18% against you dont worry though she starts killing at about 130% her lowest killing move being a fsmash taht connects both hits , DONT get near her up b shinons stall is not here anymore still there are some people who have learned to sweet spot the edge its really hard to do but it kills at ridicously low amounts dude about the ftilt lock it CAN work on luigi however it has to be correctly timed so the command has been input before her feet touches the ground her dair is CRAP yeah CRAP use that to your advantage and beware of DACUS try to attack her from the ground and remember a good shiek player will once in a while change into zelda to refresh moves and take you surprisively PUNISH with shoryuken every time she misses an fsmash PUNISH dairs i cant stress it enough dont atke me wrong sheik has great speed and all but shes completely vulnerable to a shoruyken dont be afraid to use it if you hit any player with it it leaves quit an impresion and will make players get tense since they have to be careful not to screw up remember luigi owns be a proud luigi player

tropewhat

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoonAim
I'm wondering about the Luigi-Zelda matchup (not luigi-shiek) a bit. Zelda's upsmash makes aerial or sh approaches difficult even with good airdodging. Her fireballs can help force these approaches as well (even though luigi's sex kick negates them :laugh: )

Her lightning kick also hurts Luigi's floaty airgame a bit.

Her ground game is good as well because her dsmash is so fast and she has pretty good spacing on a lot of attacks. How does Luigi go about beating a decent Zelda?

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
Zelda stinks in the air because it's difficult to use her lightning kicks. Not even the best Zelda player could land it every single time. A good Zelda player knows to stay on the ground as much as possible. Almost all lightning kicks are done from leaping off the ground. You rarely see one hit while she's falling. Zelda is most vulnerable when she's high in the air. Since Luigi dominates the air, he just has to keep her there. You only have to fear Zelda if you've above her because her up air is very deadly.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Approaching:
Luigi easily negates Zelda's Side B with a well timed NAir. Fireballs aren't so good in appraoching as she's got her Neutral...So it's gonna be trading NAirs for Din's and Fireballs for B so basically you can just rule out medium range tactics >_>; I'm not sure if her Neutral B overpowers your tornado. So it'll be stalemate unless one steps first.

On the ground:
Zelda's Tilts and Smashes are a force to be reckoned with. Insane damage and duration don't really help. If Zelda's FSmash doesn't hit, it can be 100% Sidestepped. Shield the first half of USmash and sidestep the last half of it; then punish accordingly. Although her tilts and smashes are god powerful, they have considerable ending lag.

In the air:
Saving Zelda's NAir, stay on the move. Don't be parallel to her in any way unless you want to eat a lightning kick/meteor/big firey death explosion. UAirs, DAirs and NAirs work wonders. The Tornado also stops some of Zelda's Attacks. Zelda's NAir cannot be air dodged, you've been warned. Always stay under Zelda in some way (But not directly over!)

Killing:
Zelda's Light. Fire Punch will eat in the 50s. If you're going for an off stage gimp, She's fairly easy to gimp, even with a characters like Luigi. FAirs and BAirs will keep her away from the edge and her teleport is fairly easy to read.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
SparkEd just covered it basically on the Zelda matchup.

Zelda has a big or if your really good a slight advantage over Luigi.

Whoever approachs first, will take one hell of a beating fo sho. I'd choose counterpicks like Rainbow Cruise because of how crap her jump/recovery is. Don't get yourself into spotdodge wars because she'll win those. Avoid all means of her Dsmash because her its lighting fast and sends you a offstage angle. Don't even try outcamp her because she'll win that.

tropewhat

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoonAim
SparkEd just covered it basically on the Zelda matchup.

Zelda has a big or if your really good a slight advantage over Luigi.

Whoever approachs first, will take one hell of a beating fo sho. I'd choose counterpicks like Rainbow Cruise because of how crap her jump/recovery is. Don't get yourself into spotdodge wars because she'll win those. Avoid all means of her Dsmash because her its lighting fast and sends you a offstage angle. Don't even try outcamp her because she'll win that.
So don't play the camping game against her, but don't approach her? It doesn't seem like Luigi has a lot of options for initiating the fight against her.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
So don't play the camping game against her, but don't approach her? It doesn't seem like Luigi has a lot of options for initiating the fight against her.
Get sort of close and when she goes for Din's Fire, cyclone her.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
He doesnt. Like I said, who approachs first will take a huge hit. Luigi is going to be the one forced to approach because of Din's fire, but if you throw fireballs at her, she'll be the one to approach, and she lacks good approachs.

Edit. Probably it's better to go with a tornado approach, since I forgot Zelda can just reflect your fireballs back right at you. Her Fsmash outprioritizes most of your approachs.

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Oye, Olimar, isn't as hard as many claim...

Approaching:
Olimar can't spam Pikmin throw at you all day. Fireballs easily stop his FSmash, DSmash and Side B (!) so he will need to approach you, given none of his Pikmin are Red. <.< You can the other hand can rip through his approaches with a Tornado or an aerial approach. Your NAir eats him alive.

On the ground:
Don't try to stay here. Olimar outranges you so easily it's nopt even funny. If you're going to be on the ground, get in his face QUICK and be offensive about it. Launch him into the air with a UTilt/USmash. Be careful of his grab, as it's pretty long ranged (Or short...if the pikmin is purple) and don't stay grounded too long.

In the air:
NAir > Everything, except UAir (What's with Luigi not being able to stay above anyone these days?...Sheesh) So Sex Kick away. use your usual aerial tactics. Just be wary of Purple Pikmin as they're the only ones that will out prioritize your moves.

Dealing with Pikmin Throw:
NAir. That is all.

Killing:
Olimar is light and once he's off the stage, an almost goner. Trick Olimar into using his second jump and 88% of the time he's in a position to be gimped. Aerials should be enough to keep him away, and you might even kill some of his Pikmin in the process. Grab the ledge when he wastes his second jump. Again, be wary of Purple Pikmin as they can still grab the ledge if you're hanging onto it with no invincibility...

...Basically, you fight Olimar like Zelda, but your approach options are a bit more expansive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom