• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Look At: The Remaining Past Stages

remainingstages.jpg

A few days ago, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate revealed, showcasing a bunch of new information on the game including characters, stages, movesets, and more. There's a few stages still missing, though, and taking a look at discussion is worth it. For anyone that prefers visual form, a Twitter user made this handy chart

Stages that were previously in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS
Kongo Jungle (64)
Peach's Castle (64)
Delfino Plaza (Brawl)
Pirate Ship (Brawl)
Dream Land (3DS)
Golden Plains (3DS)
Mute City (3DS)
Pac-Maze (3DS)
Paper Mario (3DS)
Rainbow Road (3DS)
Jungle Hijinx (Wii U)
Gamer (Wii U)
Orbital Gate (Wii U)
Windy Hill Zone (Wii U)
Woolly World (Wii U)

Moving Stages (that didn't appear in Wii U or 3DS)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)
Brinstar Depths (Melee)
Icicle Mountain (Melee)
Mute City (Melee)
Poke Floats (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)
Rumble Falls (Brawl)

Note: Moving is classified by "The Main platform moves often". This doesn't rule them out by any means, but it does mean there's a chance that technical issues arise on any one o f these.

May be deemed irrelevant
Meta Crystal (64) - While never a stage in any of the official releases, it's possible here, but doubtful.
Mushroom Kingdom (Melee & 64) - It's possible that these will get merged into one.
Previous Final Destination and Battlefield skins - While possible, unlikely. With every stage coming back, though, it can't be ruled out.
Miiverse (Wii U) - Without Miiverse, this stage has no mechanic
Big Battlefield (Wii U) - There's plenty of other stages, but Big Battlefield wouldn't take much time to put back in.
Pyrosphere (Wii U) - Two Ridley's? It's certainly possible. It's also possible for the stage to get a change this time around

Misc
Planet Zebes (64)
Sector Z (64)
Fountain of Dreams (Melee)
Hanenbow (Brawl)
Mario Bros. (Brawl)

Didn't appear in Smash Wii U or 3DS, but also not a moving stage. It's interesting to note that none of these stages received an appearance after their original game.

Author's Note: What are your thoughts? Which one of these are you excited to see come back? Tell us in the comments below!

Last edited:
Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

I seriously want Fountain of Dreams back, along with Poke Floats, and Brinstar Depths.

Also, I don't know why but I think they're saving Pirate Ship so it can be showcased in a King K. Rool reveal trailer because, y'know, he's a pirate.

kongo jungle gamecube is in the game but they changed his name....sure its because kongo jungle n64 ( who have the same name) is in the game too and he dont want confusion with 2 same named level

I've seen so many people criminally underrate Sector Z. "Just another Corneria" how dare they. My absolute favourite 64 stage and my top pick to come back from this list. Especially with 8 Player Smash in the game.

Of those not confirmed, I want Fountain of Dreams, Brinstar Depths and Rainbow Road.

I'm curious just how many stages there will be.

just give me fountain of dreams and i will be a happy man

even if it's dlc a year down the line, i just wanna see it in glorious hd

Last edited:
I've seen so many people criminally underrate Sector Z. "Just another Corneria" how dare they. My absolute favourite 64 stage and my top pick to come back from this list. Especially with 8 Player Smash in the game.
Same, Sector Z was always my preferred Great Fox stage since you had so much room to move around with whereas Corneria felt like it was just getting smaller and smaller with every passing Smash game.

I don't care if It's redundant, I hope It's coming back too.

As weird as it is, I’d miss Golden Plains if it didn’t come back. It has a unique gimmick and could give everyone something else to put next to their damage percentage.

Kongo Jungle 64’s almost a shoe in. Why else would they rename Melee’s stage Kongo Falls? Really, really hope Jungle Hijinx is coming back too. That was possibly my favorite of the new stages in Smash 4.

And yeah, Big Battlefield’s probably getting a fresh coat of paint and coming back too since we know 8 player Smash is a thing.

just imagine Fountain of Dreams remade in glorious HD!

Also i notice in the picture that flatzone 1 and 2 and pictochat 2 are missing from the unconfirmed section.

Last edited:
With how everything is turning out right now with Ultimate, it seems like every stage is going to return minus Miiverse.

Really excited for the ruleset discussions with the potential of 15 stages. Hope it'll be cut down to 9 though.

I just hope we get Pirate ship back in one form or another! Fountain of Dreams, Brinstar Depths, and Poke Floats are also long overdueeeeeeeee to make a return.

I can’t believe they brought Pac-Land back over the clearly superior Pac-Maze...

Does anyone even like that stage??

Please just give me fountain of dreams again already, sakurai. One of my favorite stages of all time and always looked and sounded rad as hell. pokefloats and delfino plaza would be great as well.(though delfino i think is pretty much a shoe-in at this point. It's pretty much a staple by now!)

Last edited:
I seriously want Fountain of Dreams back, along with Poke Floats, and Brinstar Depths.

Also, I don't know why but I think they're saving Pirate Ship so it can be showcased in a King K. Rool reveal trailer because, y'know, he's a pirate.
I've never truly played melee competitively but I really want fountain of dreams in smas5 just because it looks so beautiful.

I have a soft spot for Brinstar Depths, I'd love to see that stage return.

Poke Floats and Rainbow Cruise are also stages I'd love to see return. (even Icicle Mountain, it's pretty memorable to me....even if it might not be the best stage in terms of gameplay)

I'd love to see all of these stages return though (given that this game is "Ultimate"), or at least all of them besides Miiverse.

Last edited:
PokeFloats is my favourite Pokemon stage, so I'd like to see that in. Same goes for Brinstar Depths (as a favourite Metroid stage).

I wouldn't completely rule out Miiverse, either. Could either include preloaded messages for everyone, or take the Splatoon 2 route.

Honestly, though, I'm glad that every past Earthbound stage is coming back. Fourside and Magicant, specifically.

I doubt Sector Z is in it since Corneria is more or less the same stage albeit in a different location and smaller.

While not 100% confirmation, considering the Smash site has music for Brinstar Depths, which is actually a different version than the Melee one, I wouldn't be surprised that Brinstar Depths would be in the game.

As many stages as are already confirmed in the game, I would be very surprised if we don't see more get rolled out in the coming months, both new and old with the emphasis on the older ones since that seems to be the route they're taking this time around.

Fountain of Dreams seems to be the strangest choice currently missing given how much hype that stage has always had. That said, I really want to see it, Brinstar Depths, Poke Floats, Hannebow, Pirate Ship, and Gamer return as well as the remaining N64 games. I know this isn't a port, but I think it makes sense that all of the Smash 4 stages would return as well given how recently they've been worked on in HD.

I'd also imagine some stages are being saved for character reveals. Pirate Ship with King K. Rool is a great idea I hadn't thought about until you mentioned it VictoriaJustice. Similarly, if say Ashley got revealed she'd likely be revealed on Gamer. Dark Samus as an Echo Character on Brinstar Depths maybe? Or a brand new HD Fountain of Dreams with Bandanna Dee? Just to list a few possibilities that would add some additional excitement to character reveals and be good reasons we haven't seen some stages yet.

I can’t believe they brought Pac-Land back over the clearly superior Pac-Maze...

Does anyone even like that stage??
I’m with you. pac Maze was actually my favorite stage on the 3DS and I was really hoping to get it in higher def and larger.

I’d like to see the Poke Floats stage. I’m new to the series, only played 4, so that would be new to me. Also I really would like to see Wolly World back, and something Miiverse type of thing, don’t know where they would actually get the posts from (Twitter is probably too risky). But for that matter, I’d love to see Miiverse or a successor anyway.

Something new that I think would be cool is a battle on Sakurai’s desk. With him in the background. Would be a good tribute to him if this is really his last. Heck, Sakurai himself as a fighter would be cool too!

Last edited:
However they are both the same stage, if not strikingly similar, with a few differences, which wouldn't matter in competitive play to begin with and that hardly matter in the casual scene. What'll most likely occur is we either receive Sector Z and don't receive Corneria or vice versa, although I doubt Sakurai would create and implement both into SSBU. If anything, we may simply see both stages for the simple fact that Sakurai is bringing everything (as in characters and most likely stages) back to Ultimate. Especially with the precedent he's set with characters such as Young Link and Pichu, who in Melee were essentially echo fighters within the game.

SSB4 Corneria.jpg

SSB64 Sector Z.jpg

Last edited:
Miiverse might then be allowed to fight on if it returns. Even though Ridley is now a playable character, I don't think removing Ridley from Pyrosphere would happen, because King Dedede is in Sm4sh, and he still flies in the background of Dream Land 64. I know, he's no stage hazard, but still.

Since my favorite stage of all time has already been confirmed (Mushroom Kingdom II), I mainly just want Fountain of Dreams to return. But Brinstar Depths and Kongo Jungle would be cool too though.

I didn’t realize that Fountain of Dreams hasn’t been in any Smash Game after Melee. It would be amazing to see that in HD, also I think we’ll pretty much get almost all stages but except for Miiverse.

If Hanenbow doesn't return I will be so MAD XD I cannot consider this game an "Ultimate" Smash if not every universe with a proper symbol does appear in it.
To be honest Hanenbow is the worst Smash's stage ever (cancerous visual and worst background music).

It'd be great if they would just confirm Pokefloats, Jungle Hijinx, and Fountain of Dreams. Jungle Hijinxs imo is by far the least cancerous stage in Wii U, and the others are just long overdue.

Here's a list of what I think will and won't be returning out of the remainder.
RETURNING:
Delfino Plaza - it was in smash 4 and doesn't have any reason not to be there.
Kongo Jungle 64 - They renamed the melee one to Kongo Falls, most likely because they don't want confusion in the final game.
Pirate Ship - Also in smash 4 + probably one of the more requested out of the remaining.
Fountain of Dreams - Could easily be saved for a certain waddle dee's reveal + popularity
one of the mushroom kingdoms - if they put in 2, then why not this one?
Sector Z - Definitely would add to options for 8 player.
Peach's Castle 64 - First ever mario stage in the series.
Brinstar Depths - Unique and has the remix on the site
CUT:
Miiverse - It was shutdown...
Mute City - I don't see it happening
Pokefloats - I could see this getting removed do to technical problems
Rumble Falls & Icicle mountain - See pokefloats explanation
Dream Land 3DS - Technical stuff again
Golden Plains - The golden status has been seen, but on a different stage, which auto-deconfirms this
Pyrosphere - I just don't see it returning with Ridley being playable
OTHERS:
I can see the other remaining stages going either way.
I still think that we will get over 100 returning stages, which only leaves around 10-16 not making the cut

Last edited:
Here's a list of what I think will and won't be returning out of the remainder.
RETURNING:
Delfino Plaza - it was in smash 4 and doesn't have any reason not to be there.
Kongo Jungle 64 - They renamed the melee one to Kongo Falls, most likely because they don't want confusion in the final game.
Pirate Ship - Also in smash 4 + probably one of the more requested out of the remaining.
Fountain of Dreams - Could easily be saved for a certain waddle dee's reveal + popularity
one of the mushroom kingdoms - if they put in 2, then why not this one?
Sector Z - Definitely would add to options for 8 player.
Peach's Castle 64 - First ever mario stage in the series.
Brinstar Depths - Unique and has the remix on the site
CUT:
Miiverse - It was shutdown...
Mute City - I don't see it happening
Pokefloats - I could see this getting removed do to technical problems
Rumble Falls & Icicle mountain - See pokefloats explanation
Dream Land 3DS - Technical stuff again
Golden Plains - The golden status has been seen, but on a different stage, which auto-deconfirms this
Pyrosphere - I just don't see it returning with Ridley being playable
OTHERS:
I can see the other remaining stages going either way.
I still think that we will get over 100 returning stages, which only leaves around 10-16 not making the cut
I completely agree

Top Bottom