• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A little advice on the Little Mac matchup

Divine123

Smash Rookie
NNID
Divine1234
3DS FC
2062-9927-4567
Now, I'm not the best player in the world but I have learned alot along the way and can pretty much hold my own against alot players but oh boy dealing with Little Mac can be difficult and this matchup is really giving me trouble because he's just so fast and most of us know Mario kinda struggles against fast characters that can rush him down and get away quickly before he can grab them to do anything.

I know that Little Mac struggles against characters with projectiles and Mario is no exception to this so I usually use Fireballs to make him approach me instead of me trying to approach him but when it comes to actually fighting him and trying to grab him...it can be really difficult because he's just so quick and nearly impossible for me to keep up with him and shield without me taking a hit from him. Ma1ybe I am approaching the entire matchup wrong but I'm struggling here.

No matter what I do I always get beat to death around the stage because he's so quick and he hits me more than I can hit him and it's even worst if the Little Mac player knows what their doing and just simply throwing fireballs all over the place and shield isn't good enough.

Any advice you guys can give me to help me deal with him better in this matchup? Any advice would be really helpful because I want to overcome this matchup since I main Mario.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Try and stay away from the center of the stage as much as possible. That's where mac wants to fight you. Stay near the edge as much as possible. It's really risky for mac to fight near the ledge because he gets thrown off stage if he gets grabbed.

Be sure to on point in utilizing fluud, it's amazing against mac. You always want to have it charged if possible. Camp and get it charged before you approach. Shouldn't be too hard as you can often run away and jump on a platform and get it, as mac likely won't follow you cause mac sucks in the air. Often times throwing him offstage and hitting him with fluud equals a gimp. If mac's side B gets fluud'ed mac dies. I believe it's the same for his Up B since it doesn't auto snap.

Don't auto dthrow or upthrow when you get grabs like you would in most matchups. Mac is so bad offstage that it you grab him at say, 50%, it's often a better option to use fthrow or bthrow just to get him offstage even though you're giving up damage by not using the typical dthrow. Especially if you have a charged fluud.

If you get the lead don't be afraid to play lame and platform camp to force mac to jump into the air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom