• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A List of Each Character's Ability to Jab Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
So I started this thread because I was wondering which characters people have found that can jab reset a small size resting character consistently. Then I just took the 30 minutes necessary to test it out myself, and I figure I'd share that information with everyone.

I tested by checking every character's ability to jab reset ZSS on FD when she was completely at rest. Here's the results!

Can Easily Jab Reset:

Wario
Mario
Bowser
DK
Diddy
Wolf
T.Link
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Pit
Marth
Lucas
Ness
Dedede
Game & Watch
Luigi (first jab hit can miss if too close. The hitbox is almost exclusively the hand)

2nd Hit of Jab Can Reset:
Falco
Link (Very rarely first)
Sonic

Can't Jab Reset:
Peach
Captain Falcon
Ganon
Fox
Zelda
Sheik
Charizard (I mean it hits but no reset)
Ike
R.O.B.
Snake
Lucario (VERY RARELY will he be able to jab ZSS, so effectively not viable)

So yeah that's what I've found. Again this was done vs a ZSS at rest on FD, who was used cause she's really freakin tiny when she misses a tech. Figured it's useful information, and hopefully some motivation to improve the jabs of certain characters to match that melee feel.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
To make this a little more helpful for people that don't know the details, can you include a section about what a jab reset is/means?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i was gonna say, i understand what a jab reset is, and how it is performed, but i dont know why various moves work, why others dont, and why it sometimes just doesnt work on a whole.

Edit: also, sheik can definitely jab reset.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
that would make sense as to why i jab sometimes and it doesnt work: i did it too late.

Based on standardtoasters comment, i would assume that any jab would really reset except for like charizard, ganon, and zelda.

Can u SDI on a jab reset? i would assume so, but its odd to think about cuz then u just do a forced stand and dont go anywhere, so im second guessing myself.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
It has plenty of knockback even at 0, its like Fox's jab at higher %s, it pops them into the air. Even if they are holding down, im pretty sure it just resets their downed state, still leaving them to roll/getup/attack.

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Link can definitely jab-reset on the first hit, consistently. I'll try to get footage of it today on multiple characters.

I usually Down-throw, jab, regrab, and mixup from there for the first 40% that they're low enough to combo and not DI out. At higher percentages (and bigger characters get even higher), you can jab out of the air and grab

yahyakun

Smash Cadet
can anyone explain me what is jab reset exactly. cuz ive read everything and still dont get it.

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Link can definitely jab-reset on the first hit, consistently. I'll try to get footage of it today on multiple characters.

Here's the video of Link's jab reset capability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GequxEVYL0

Upon re-reading the thread, I didn't realize you were talking about ZSS. However, Snake and Squirtle are both shown here.

These are all done first try, no warm up, DI, button presses, etc.

Squirtle did seem to act weird, and I did get some missing down smashes when it should have landed. I will link (puns!) this in the bug section if it is not already there

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Jesseyo, that jab that missed squirtle was a glancing blow. It's a thing from brawl that's pretty much the phantom hits without damage.

I know this :) I've been in to competitive smash since 64, and just now registering for Smashboards.

I thought it was strange how his outcome after a down throw would have him land behind me, where all other characters would land on top or slightly in front of Link.

Explain the missed down smashes though :o

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
@yahyakun, a reset is when u attack a character with a very low KB move while they are lying on the ground directly after a missed tech. this forces an automatic stand up (the "reset"), and the duration of this stand up is usually always long enough for you to attack again or regrab them. its bassically a good way of punishing missed techs because they give u a free attack on them after u perform the reset. The attacks you usually perform them with are very low KB attacks, like jabs, and occasionally dtilts.

as far as zard goes, i would think the angle of KB prevents the reset, but maybe im wrong.

Player -0

Smash Hero
You bumped a 2 year old thread just to say that? I think only the antennae hit of jabs/D-Tilt work. Not sure if jab works or not. Nair probably works.

a 2 year old thread. wow.

Player -0

Smash Hero
There are a ton of things not mentioned, are we really going to list them all though? It would make much more sense to go to each character board and then get a list then compile the list here.

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
It turns out that this list is actually way bigger than I initially thought it would be.

I tested this on every character while they were in a face-down position after a mistech, which is the standard position one would find themself in after G&W's D-Throw. If they performed their standard getup animation after taking a jab while in this lying-down position, then this means that they fall under my definition of whether they can be jab-reset.

[collapse="Characters that CAN be jab-reset"]
:wario: Wario
:mario2: Mario
:bowser2: Bowser
:yoshi2: Yoshi
:dk2: Donkey Kong
:diddy: Diddy Kong
:falcon: Captain Falcon
:wolf: Wolf
:fox: Fox
:falco: Falco
:popo: Ice Climbers
:sheik: Sheik
:link2: Link
:toonlink: Toon Link
:ganondorf: Ganondorf
:lucario: Lucario
:squirtle: Squirtle
:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus
:lucas: Lucas
:metaknight: Meta Knight
:ike: Ike
:roypm: Roy
:snake: Snake
:sonic: Sonic
[/collapse]

I also tested this for certain frames during the vulnerable "bounce" phase of a mistech. What I discovered was that some characters that would normally be able to be jab-reset could sometimes bounce high enough so that the jab totally misses them due to the way that these characters' hurtboxes are spread out during this bounce animation. This means that more precise timing is required in order to avoid missing them as they bounce up.

If you want to jab-reset these characters try to remember to not fall into the habit of throwing out your jab as fast as you possibly can after using D-Throw, as you will likely end up missing these particular characters. Wait just slightly longer and you will be able to jab them before they get the chance to hit the ground, forcing a standard getup as per usual.

[collapse="Characters that require special timing in order to be jab-reset during bounce"]
:falcon: Captain Falcon
:wolf: Wolf
:fox: Fox
:link2: Link
:snake: Snake
[/collapse]

Characters not mentioned so far can act before they hit the ground after being hit by a jab and will be put into standard landing lag upon hitting the ground. They will potentially be able to airdodge or roll out of the way of any followup you had in store for them.

I have not found a case where a jab that hits a character during their bounce animation lets them avoid being jab-reset while also being a character that can be jab reset while lying down. It seems that all characters that can always be reset while on the ground also will be reset during the bounce, provided that the jab hit actually lands of course.

[collapse="Characters that CANNOT be jab-reset"]
:luigi2: Luigi
:peach: Peach
:zelda: Zelda
:mewtwopm: Mewtwo
:pikachu2: Pikachu
:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff
:ivysaur: Ivysaur
:charizard: Charizard
:samus2: Samus
:ness2: Ness
:pit: Pit
:kirby2: Kirby
:dedede: Dedede
:marth: Marth (UUUUUUGGHH WHY CAN'T WE HAVE THIS)
:olimar: Olimar
:rob: R.O.B.
:gw: Mr. Game & Watch
[/collapse]

I have not done any thorough testing of SDI on the jab hit, but I know that it can definitely play a role as to whether the jab-reset happens or not. Upward SDI during the jab might let some normally jab-resettable characters act before they hit the ground (I can only confirm that this is the case for Lucas as I have not tested SDI on anyone else), while downward SDI could force normally unresettable characters to do their normal getup (I have not tested this at all).
Here's all the jab reset info that I've got on Mr. Game & Watch.

Note that it is possible to avoid being jab reset when you SDI up on the jab hit. Similiarly, you can also become jab resettable if you SDI down.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I got a reset with Samus' zair yesterday lol
Also ROB's weak laser can jab reset tho you basically get nothing off of it but guaranteed positioning

DrugsM2

Smash Apprentice
mmmmm, i did always find it odd i couldnt jab reset some characters on sonic, seems the jab 2 is iffy aswell and needs near perfect spacing to connect honestly a bit sad about this cause jab resets on the chacters they do connect on are huge for sonic guess ive always got dtilt lol

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Ganon can definitely jab reset with the back end of uair. One of my most common setups.

steelguttey

mei is bei
There are a ton of things not mentioned, are we really going to list them all though? It would make much more sense to go to each character board and then get a list then compile the list here.
im p sure the antannae part of dair has no knockback

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
As long as this thread is up, what are the criteria needed for a jab reset to happen? In general I know it involves a KB threshold, and apparently has some variance based on character physics and the ground bounce animation, but what are the specifics?

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Previous versions of pm, I was able to jab reset using ganon.
On fox, grounded flame choke (unteched) and immediately jab.
Cant play pm so if someone can check this out for me, would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom