• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds

DD2

Smash Cadet
There didn't seem to be a thread about this yet but recently (Nov 22) this new game came out and I was wondering what everyone thinks of it
I haven't had a lot of time to play it yet (probably like an hour or so) but so far I'm liking it. I like the fact that it takes place in the same world as Lttp but I'm also liking how they're changing how you play the dungeons.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Don't have a 3DS, kinda considering getting one now because of this game

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
It's not bad per se, but it's a very ungraceful sequel to A Link to the Past seeing as it's almost exactly the same, it honestly feels more like a master quest than a true sequel (except for the fact that it's not even remotely challenging). For that matter, I don't even know why they wanted to make another direct sequel to ALTTP, since according to the official timeline Oracle of Seasons was already a direct sequel to ALTTP.

DD2

Smash Cadet
Yeah I've noticed that it's a lot easier as well
So far it seems like the knights are a lot slower and it also seems like they increased the rate that heart and rupees show up (also in larger amounts)

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I thought the whole renting items system seems pretty interesting. For those of you that have the game do you like this feature? I plan on picking up a copy soon.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I thought the whole renting items system seems pretty interesting. For those of you that have the game do you like this feature? I plan on picking up a copy soon.
I don't much care for the fact that you lose all your items when you die, but the game is so easy that I've yet to die so I guess it isn't much of a problem.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I don't much care for the fact that you lose all your items when you die, but the game is so easy that I've yet to die so I guess it isn't much of a problem.
Is this like one of those games that's so easy it's really not worth getting? I've been wary about getting it but on the other hand I've heard such great things.

B1ackJack

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zakabajak94
3DS FC
4596-9584-8500
Is this like one of those games that's so easy it's really not worth getting? I've been wary about getting it but on the other hand I've heard such great things.

I've personally beaten it twice, once on normal and once on hero mode and I have to say neither were very difficult. Making enemies deal 4x damage seems like it would be difficult, but after playing through the game once you already know how to beat all the enemies so it doesn't feel much harder. I personally died the same amount of times on both playthroughs, and I really only played it moderately safer and carefully on hero mode.

It was very fun and felt remarkably different from A Link to the Past though despite all the similarities. The item meter, wall merging, and non-linearity really made it interesting. The story's a bit sparse for a bit, but the ending is phenomenal. Overall I thought it was good and definitely worth the purchase.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I've personally beaten it twice, once on normal and once on hero mode and I have to say neither were very difficult. Making enemies deal 4x damage seems like it would be difficult, but after playing through the game once you already know how to beat all the enemies so it doesn't feel much harder. I personally died the same amount of times on both playthroughs, and I really only played it moderately safer and carefully on hero mode.

It was very fun and felt remarkably different from A Link to the Past though despite all the similarities. The item meter, wall merging, and non-linearity really made it interesting. The story's a bit sparse for a bit, but the ending is phenomenal. Overall I thought it was good and definitely worth the purchase.
It sounds like I at least should give it a try it is a zelda game after all. I'd just hate to spend 40 bucks on a game that isn't going to provide some sort of challenge ha. Thanks for your giving me your thoughts though!

B1ackJack

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zakabajak94
3DS FC
4596-9584-8500
The Treacherous Tower on the highest difficulty is definitely a challenge if nothing else, at least!

DD2

Smash Cadet
It sounds like I at least should give it a try it is a zelda game after all. I'd just hate to spend 40 bucks on a game that isn't going to provide some sort of challenge ha. Thanks for your giving me your thoughts though!
If anything you might want to pick it up when it's on sale or something

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
If anything you might want to pick it up when it's on sale or something
Yeah I think I'm going to give it some time. It's a game I ultimately should play but I'm gonna wait it out a little longer.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
When was the last time anyone could say a Zelda game was challenging? Honestly, you are more likely to die in this game since like... the oracle games maybe?

I thought overall the game was pretty good, a lot of times it felt more like a remake than a sequel, and I liked the nostalgic part of that. However, between the wall-merging and the dungeon/story changes, it was still a new and enjoyable experience. The wall-merging was implemented into the game well and adds a good dynamic to dungeon layout and puzzles.

I think the only thing I was disappointed about was the Shadowpass feature, which lets you play against AI copies of other people's link character they setup. Why couldn't they just set it up to play each other, instead of an AI?

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I think the only thing I was disappointed about was the Shadowpass feature, which lets you play against AI copies of other people's link character they setup. Why couldn't they just set it up to play each other, instead of an AI?
This would have been an awesome feature. It would be interesting to see this type of multiplayer implemented in a 3D Zelda game.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
The ending and Ganon battle were good. The whole drawing aspect really added a whole new level of depth to the dungeons. While I really liked the non-linear approach to the game and items, the over abundance of rupies allowed me to buy, not rent, my items too quickly...especially using the bee keeper. Some of the bosses were also way too easy *looks at the water dungeon boss*. My favorite dungeon was the ice one and Ravio might just be my favorite Zelda character now. Anyways, it's really addictive and I definitely reccomend it.

DD2

Smash Cadet
The ending and Ganon battle were good. The whole drawing aspect really added a whole new level of depth to the dungeons. While I really liked the non-linear approach to the game and items, the over abundance of rupies allowed me to buy, not rent, my items too quickly...especially using the bee keeper. Some of the bosses were also way too easy *looks at the water dungeon boss*. My favorite dungeon was the ice one and Ravio might just be my favorite Zelda character now. Anyways, it's really addictive and I definitely reccomend it.
Yeah I really enjoyed the ice dungeon as well, however I found the end battle with Ganon a little underwhelming
I really liked the songs in this game as well - The Lorule one in particular

I am sort of confused. Is this a direct sequel or not? It feels more like a classical remake where new content gets added to the game. Although, a bit more content got added than I would have thought.

The biggest changes I think to "A Link to the Past" challenge over this one is the fact that enemies get stunned way more often. I recall those giant troll things did not get stunned in ALTTP while in this one they do. Oh, and your sword swing seems longer. I do not recall being able to hit the knights head on in ALTTP without having to hit them form an angle. In this one it seems like your sword is longer than theirs.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
My favorite thing is the treacherous tower. It was pretty easy but I still enjoyed it a lot.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
This is one of my favorite Zelda games along with OoT, Wind Waker, and ALTTP in no particular order. To anyone on the fence about it, it is definitely worth the buy. It's not extremely challenging, but it is a lot of fun.

Top Bottom