• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A History Behind Smash Moves

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I sure many people have seen the YouTube videos online that detailed the origins of many of the animations, moves and possible inspirations behind them showing off the level of detail put into each character.

Examples:
^Most of them are found on this guy's channel^

Now that the game's out and we have full access to the characters (barring DLC characters), I think we should start compiling ones for the new fighters at the very least and some of the veteran fighters never got done as well. Plus some of them just need updates because of changes characters received in this Smash.

The first thing we should do is compile information on the origin of moves/animations and this is where the forum comes in.

Newcomers:
[collapse=Villager]
Pocket - One of the goals in Animal Crossing games is to collect random stuff to decorate your house. The animation for Pocket is very similar to the one when the Villager picks something on the ground in the Animal Crossing games.

Lloid Rocket - I have only played Animal Crossing New Leaf, so I don't know what Lloid does in other games, but in New Leaf, Lloid is responsible for collecting donations for public works projects (like fountain, the museum, etc). If you are wondering, no, he never acts like a rocket in AC, afaik.

Balloon Trip - The red balloons the Villager use to carry them over in SSB also appear in Animal Crossing, where they usually carry presents. You can pop them up with a slingshot to pick the presents up. On top of that, in the original game, you can buy the original Balloon Fight game from Ton Nook's store and even play it.

Timber - In Animal Crossing, the player can buy various different tools and among them, there is the axe and the watering can, both which can be used to cut and water trees, respectively.

[/collapse]
[collapse=Rosalina and Luma][/collapse]
[collapse=Wii Fit Trainer][/collapse]
[collapse=Little Mac][/collapse]
[collapse=Greninja][/collapse]
[collapse=Palutena][/collapse]
[collapse=Robin][/collapse]
[collapse=Shulk][/collapse]
[collapse=Megaman][/collapse]
[collapse=Pac-Man][/collapse]
[collapse=Bowser Junior][/collapse]
[collapse=Duck Hunt Dog]Neutral:
One of the mini games in the NES light gun game "Hogan's Alley" was a can shooting game (a.k.a. trickshooting). Shooting the cans and keeping them in the air gave you points.
Side Special: Game C of "Duck Hunt" involved shooting Clay Pigeons instead of Ducks. Like the Duck shooting portion, the goal is to shoot enough clay pigeons to move on to the next level.
Although the Up special is original to Smash, the sound effect used when in helpless mode is the same as when a Duck is shot.

(Pay attention to the sound effect made when a Duck is falling)
Down Special: "Wild Gunman" is an old NES light Gun game in which the player has to shoot down five criminals in an ol' fashioned wild west showoff. There were five criminals:
Note the time for the gunman at the top of the screen. Each Gunman fired at different rates with the leader firing the fastest (orange jacket).
Final Smash: Although Original to Smash, it draws elements from Duck Hunt (8-bit Dog and Ducks), Wild Gunman (no explanation), and Hogan's Alley (Can's and Criminals).[/collapse]

Clones: (Least amount of things that will be different from the original to point out)
[collapse=Dark Pit][/collapse]
[collapse=Lucina][/collapse]

Veterans: (Ones without videos)
[collapse=Pit][/collapse]
[collapse=Meta Knight][/collapse]
[collapse=Wario][/collapse]
[collapse=King Dedede][/collapse]
[collapse=Charizard][/collapse]
[collapse=R.O.B][/collapse]
[collapse=Lucario][/collapse]
[collapse=Olimar][/collapse]
[collapse=Mewtwo][/collapse]
[collapse=Falco][/collapse]
[collapse=Captain Falcon][/collapse]
[collapse=Wolf][/collapse]

Veterans (Ones with minor things to add to the video already out)
[collapse=Mario][/collapse]
[collapse=Luigi][/collapse]
[collapse=Peach][/collapse]
[collapse=Bowser][/collapse]
[collapse=Yoshi][/collapse]
[collapse=Game and Watch][/collapse]
[collapse=Donkey Kong][/collapse]
[collapse=Diddy Kong][/collapse]
[collapse=Link][/collapse]
[collapse=Zelda][/collapse]
[collapse=Sheik][/collapse]
[collapse=Ganondorf][/collapse]
[collapse=Toon link][/collapse]
[collapse=Samus][/collapse]
[collapse=Zero Suit Samus][/collapse]
[collapse=Marth][/collapse]
[collapse=Ike][/collapse]
[collapse=Kirby][/collapse]
[collapse=Fox][/collapse]
[collapse=Pikachu][/collapse]
[collapse=Jigglypuff][/collapse]
[collapse=Ness][/collapse]
[collapse=Sonic][/collapse]

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Great idea! That sounds fun. I will start with Villager then (I will edit this post with the info soon). :)

Edit:

Special moves:

Pocket - One of the goals in Animal Crossing games is to collect random stuff to decorate your house. The animation for Pocket is very similar to the one when the Villager picks something on the ground in the Animal Crossing games.

Lloid Rocket - I have only played Animal Crossing New Leaf, so I don't know what Lloid does in other games, but in New Leaf, Lloid is responsible for collecting donations for public works projects (like fountain, the museum, etc). If you are wondering, no, he never acts like a rocket in AC, afaik.

Balloon Trip - The red balloons the Villager use to carry them over in SSB also appear in Animal Crossing, where they usually carry presents. You can pop them up with a slingshot to pick the presents up. On top of that, in the original game, you can buy the original Balloon Fight game from Ton Nook's store and even play it.

Timber - In Animal Crossing, the player can buy various different tools and among them, there is the axe and the watering can, both which can be used to cut and water trees, respectively.

Will add smash attacks, aerials and etc later. Though I am not sure if I will make gifs of them.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Duck Hunt Dog (or Duck Hunt) Special Moves (except up special):
Neutral:
One of the mini games in the NES light gun game "Hogan's Alley" was a can shooting game (a.k.a. trickshooting). Shooting the cans and keeping them in the air gave you points.

Side Special: Game C of "Duck Hunt" involved shooting Clay Pigeons instead of Ducks. Like the Duck shooting portion, the goal is to shoot enough clay pigeons to move on to the next level.

Although the Up special is original to Smash, the sound effect used when in helpless mode is the same as when a Duck is shot.
(Pay attention to the sound effect made when a Duck is falling)
Down Special: "Wild Gunman" is an old NES light Gun game in which the player has to shoot down five criminals in an ol' fashioned wild west showoff. There were five criminals:

Note the time for the gunman at the top of the screen. Each Gunman fired at different rates with the leader firing the fastest (orange jacket).
Final Smash: Although Original to Smash, it draws elements from Duck Hunt (8-bit Dog and Ducks), Wild Gunman (no explanation), and Hogan's Alley (Can's and Criminals).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
ok, I just want to point out that these originals video is what mind blew me the most in my entire life when I saw them and you can even say that watching these completely changed the way I saw games and made my life change to love them as much as I do today.

Why?

They were simple enough for me who was learning English to understands them. By getting how deep the references were and how detailed the game was, I just got me speechless. Before, I saw games as just a way to pass time, but these videos made me realise that it's a lot more than that. SSBM was so much detailed and there was so much diversity showed that I got that game are art with true goals in mind.

So, it might sound just a nice series of videos, but I think that if those made me realise so much (I'm serious, I have sold my GC before and these videos made me buy one on ebay), I think it could for the future players generation.

So, whoever is willing to do such a project (I have a dazzle, but only supports composite), please, take the care of puting details and keep it simple at the same time. You may change the life of someone else in the end because these videos would end up being a big gaming heritage of the past...

MonadoBoy26

Smash Rookie
Shulk
Universe: Xenoblade Chronicles
Idle Animation: Shulk crosses his arms with one on his chin. Shulk would do this in Smash when well, idle.
Jump Animation: Shulk's jump animation is the same as is it from Xenoblade Chronicles.
Side Smash: In Xenoblade Chronicles, Shulk can use Arts. One of his Arts is called Slit Edge. In Smash it seems to be a reference to said move.
Dash Attack: Like I said with Slit Edge, Shulk can use Arts. Shulk's dash attack appears to be based off of Stream Edge.
Forward Tilt: Shulk's forward could be based off of Shulk's auto-attack animation from Xenoblade Chronicles.
Standard Special: In Xenoblade Chronicles Shulk can use Monado Arts, which like in Smash buff stats. Monado Jump and Smash are unique to Smash however. Monado Shield acts differently in Smash then in XC. In XC Shulk surrounds his team in a yellow bubble, protecting them from harm. Monado Speed gives a specific party member increased Agility, making it harder for enemies to hit them. And Monado Buster would expand the Monado's length by a lot and do tons of damage, and does even more when attacking a Mechon.
Side Special: Back Slash is one of Shulk's more iconic and helpful moves. You get it quite early. In XC it does more damage from the back, while in Smash it does more damage and more knockback. The Monado glows red, it does do this in XC, but the move is colored red in XC.
Up Special: Air Slash is once again, an Art Shulk can learn. In XC it only hits once while Sm4sh it hits twice. In XC it does more damage from the side and causes Slow. However it is impossible to hit from the side in Smash. The Monado glows pink like it does in XC when using Air Slash.
Down Special: One of the main gimmicks for XC is Shulk's vision. Shulk would have small visions of the future, usually being deaths of people he's met, or yet to meet. In Smash it carries over, just doesn't show off the vision. But the blue glow is back from XC.
Final Smash: In Xenoblade Chronicles you and your party fill up a Party Gauge while in battle. When it is filled the 3 of you can do a Chain Attack. The 2 partners that appear in Shulk's Final Smash are Riki and Dunban. Dunban was the original wielder of the Monado, and Riki is just... the Heropon. Riki uses a move from Xenoblade called Lurgy.
Taunt 1: "I'm really feeling!" Isn't just some meme Shulk is known for, but is what Shulk says during battles in Xenoblade Chronicles... a lot... he says it a lot. The animation he does could be a reference to 'talking animations' in XC.
Taunt 2: "Now it's Shulk time!" Is a reference to Shulk's best friend Reyn. Who's famous catchphrase was "Now it's Reyn time!"
Taunt 3: "This is the Monado's power!" Is what Shulk says when using a Monado Art.
Victory Quote 1: "I've got a good rhythm going!" Is something Shulk says during battle if things are going in his favor. Except he would say "WE'VE got a good rhythm going!"
Victory Quote 2: "The future is ours to decide!" Is a quote Shulk says in XC. I just can't seem to remember when.
Victory Quote 3: "This is a good result!" Is a reference to a quote Shulk says during Gem Crafting.
Death Quote: "Not good!" Is something Shulk says, well you guessed it, when he falls in battle.

Color 1: Shulk's main outfit is Shulk's Colony 9 default outfit in Xenoblade Chronicles.

Color 2: This is a major SPOILER to the XC story so don't read this if you don't want to know. But it is based on Mecha-Fiora.
Color 3: Is based on Fiora's brother. Dunban.

Color 4: This is a reference to Shulk's best friend Reyn.

Color 5: A reference to Sharla, the sharpshooter!

Color 6: This is the color scheme of Melia, a High Entia princess.

Color 7: The color scheme is based off of Riki the Heropon! Even including the pattern on his chest.

Color 8: While most people think this of Fan-Service it actually has a reference. If Shulk is stripped of all armor, or wearing a Bathing Suit armor piece he would wear this.

Victory Music: A small portion of 'You Will Know Our Names'.

Last edited:

MonadoBoy26

Smash Rookie
I can always do more. But I'll let others do em for now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom