• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS *A Guide to Unlocking Custom Moves Quickly*

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
So, here's something I've noticed while grinding out the big two challenges (AKA All-Star and Classic with all characters):

Even if you don't unlock all the moves for a character in Classic, you can immediately go to Target Blast, and get custom moves weighted towards that character, no matter who you use (I did that for Fox and Falco, who I checked off my list). This also lets you check out the trophy shop in both directions, if you're missing any randoms.

Shmoopy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jordanious24
3DS FC
3995-6588-3249
Nice.....
I can't tell you how appreciative I am but this just proves how epic the smash community is.
It always seems like there's a cheap trick out of every game struggle these days huh?

Hunterjet

Smash Rookie
Has anyone managed to get every bonus effect for equipment? There's a milestone for it and everything. I finally got all the hats like 2 weeks ago and since then not a single new bonus effect has dropped. I'm missing:

Air Piñata: 1.2x damage received when in midair.
Air Pushover: 0.75x attack power while airborne.
Anchor Jump: 1.4x speed when falling.
Antileap: 0.8x jump height.
Dodgy Dodger: Gives a bit less time to dodge an enemy attack.
Double-Jump Drag: 0.7x midair jump height.
Imperfect Shield: Only get a normal shield no matter how good your timing is.

As you can see they're all negative effects, which are way, way more rare than the positive ones. I've been mostly trying Classic 9.0, has anyone had better luck with them any other way? I already have all trophies, moves, outfits and hats and find it ridiculous there's yet another collectible even harder to complete than those.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I only have 88/93 of the equipment extra effects. If it weren't for the fact that I can still get duplicate specials, headgear, and outfits, the equipment grinding process would've been a lot smoother.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Personally I prefer the air Smash Run because while knocking out the "get all custom moves" Challenge I'm also knocking out the "get all Smash Run Powers" Challenge and working my way towards getting all trophies and snagging coins to use on Trophy Rush/Trophy Shop.
Classic personally I feel takes too long, about 15 minutes per round, and sometimes the roulette has no custom moves or I'm too late in pressing Home.

Tips for stuff:
Fight/Win X number of times with X character/on X stage: make 1 CPu, set CPU to level 1, 300%, 1 stock. Play over and over again
Multi-Man Smash: Use Ike, go to top platform, spam either utilt or Aether: utilt's fast and OHKOs Miis, Aether's got super armor. Ike is a heavy character who has suprisingly decent recovery so it shouldn't be too bad.
Trophy Rush: a lot of farming can be done with DK. Spam Hand Slap, if you see the warning sign hold R and when your shield comes up, roll. Rinse and repeat.
Smash Run: not a whole lot I can say here. If you like powers, go for it. Run from Reapers, Clubberskulls, Ornes, Megontas, Mimicuties, Bulborbs, Banzai Bills, and Bonkers unless you have a counter or are really ballsy. Chase down Tacs. The large falling portion on the left can net you some nice stuff. Use the map. When the News Smash says "a secret room has appeared!" go to the place with the burny floor and the room is on the right. For Boom Stompers, hit their plants. Stay in the air when fighting Boom Stompers and Polar Bears. Tech. Grab Octoroks and Mets. Chase down stuff you hit. Always enter doors, and always go for treasure chests - they'll usually have some good stuff. Don't attack Chandelure with fire attacks. Don't worry about getting KOd because I think all you lose are your stats, not pickups.
Classic: I beat 9.0 with a offense-defense Bowser. I remember I had auto healing and aerial launch resistance as equips. Just know Master Core's moves, I guess. Watch out for the Nintendogs stage because it sucks, and counters because those suck too.
Target Blast: I beat this with Dark Pit. 3 Electroshock Arms should nab you the bottom targets easily (go EA right, EA left, then EA right again). For the top ones, bounce the bomb off the wall behind you with either Elctroshock Arm or side smash.

EDIT: links added for people who don't know the names of Smash Run enemies

Last edited:

Rew

Smash Journeyman
So here on the eve of Smash U's release, here is all I have left to obtain in this game:
- 2 trophies (Michaela & Gold Bone, i.e. 0 random ones!)
- 2 Smash Run powers (Devil's Pact & Strong Kick, both Lv. 3)
- 5 Mii hats (4 random ones + Prince's Hat)
- 44 custom special moves

Likewise, only two challenges remain (all Smash Run powers and all customs).

I never was under any delusions I would be done with this game before the Wii U version's release. But over the next few days (weeks?), I'm going to keep at it on this one, as I refuse to play Smash U until Smash 3DS is finished entirely. It will be much better to get it over with now than to play on the Wii U then go back to the tiny little 3DS!

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I don't even want to know how much I have left. I finally got all the multi-man smash and complete x mode with all character challenges complete. Now all I have left is streetsmash tags (going on a trip pretty soon, so I'm not worried about that). All customs(almost done), outfits (done), and hats (don't even want to think about it). All smashrun powers (working on it). And last, but not least, classic on 9.0 (just gotta figure out the patterns and that will be a breeze... right). Now that I think about it... I've got a loooong way to go... Well at least I will have time on the 10 hour trip.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I got all the Smash Run powers, all the custom moves.

I'm missing like 10 hats and 40 trophies or something like that. Not sure how many equipment effects I'm missing, but it's not a tiny number.

Seems really hard to get the smooth landing and the glider effects, but I have a couple of those.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. Equipment. EQUIPMENT!!!

I've been playing Target Blast, and all it gives me anymore out of those green wrench targets is Equipment. I swear, I've gotten 10+ pieces of Equipment in a row. But all I need are custom moves and Mii hats. There's got to be a way to turn off ****ing equipment??

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
10+ hour trips work wonders. "Collected all custom special moves. Show me your moves!" Now just to get those gosh darn hats...

silverscope13x

Smash Rookie
I'll figure out a way a little later to add these up top. The first is a really good note that I forgot to mention, so thank you for pointing that out especially.

As it turns out, I actually don't have those badges yet! That combination sounds insane though, so I'll be sure to mention it. Core on 9.0 is indeed still tough no matter what, I can't downplay that. The positive thing is that if you lose and have to play him again at a lower difficulty, you still end up keeping the rewards you've already won.

Anyway, thanks for the help! I'll probably just add an addendum section where I quote and add useful contributions like yours.
Hey, I unlocked all of Mario's moves in a couple hours on the WiiU version. I just went to Target Smash as Mario and kept playing it until I got a wrench. You can use - before you move to see the stage. Just hit the wrench with the bomb (I suggest using the first level, it's the easiest), and when you do, just play it through. You'll get a wrench once every 5 tries or so, and you'll get a customization for the character you're using once ever 2 or 3 times. I got Mario quick, and I'm almost done with Toon Link now. Give this a try!

Rew

Smash Journeyman
So I finally managed to obtain all custom moves last night, now I only have 3 more hats to obtain. For those of you who have already collected them all, how did you go about getting the last 3 hats?

Me, I've been trying Target Blast, but even though I've been racking up perfects with Villager, I still only get mostly equipment. Is there a way to influence the RNG into dropping more hats (or at least to stop with the goddamn equipment)?

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
So I finally managed to obtain all custom moves last night, now I only have 3 more hats to obtain. For those of you who have already collected them all, how did you go about getting the last 3 hats?

Me, I've been trying Target Blast, but even though I've been racking up perfects with Villager, I still only get mostly equipment. Is there a way to influence the RNG into dropping more hats (or at least to stop with the goddamn equipment)?
Either I just have extremely goow luck, or playing as a Mii does influence hat drops. Though, luck may be it, because I have seen people claim it doesn't influence hat drops. I would give it a try though.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Either I just have extremely goow luck, or playing as a Mii does influence hat drops. Though, luck may be it, because I have seen people claim it doesn't influence hat drops. I would give it a try though.
What mode(s), though?? (You can't possibly mean Target Blast, as the Miis aren't as good as Villager for that.)

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
What mode(s), though?? (You can't possibly mean Target Blast, as the Miis aren't as good as Villager for that.)
Oh, I don't use target blast for customs. Classic and smash run are what I'm talking about.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I don't use target blast for customs. Classic and smash run are what I'm talking about.
Well, I don't want to use Smash Run (since I'm very close to getting all powers and I don't want to get all of them because that unlocks Prince's Hat and adds it to the duplicate pool). And Classic... ugh. I've run through Classic so many times getting custom moves that I don't ever want to see that mode again. :(

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Little Mac seems to be one of the better Target Blast players himself, since he can send the bomb flying with just his Straight Lunge; no need to hassle around with control-sensitive smash attacks with him.

Hunterjet

Smash Rookie
You can try playing a few games of Smash or running through classic as Mii and then play Target Blast as Villager. Target Blast will then give you items as if you were playing as Mii (you'll notice the custom move drops you get are varied instead of being biased towards one character). I don't think this increases the hat drop rate, but I did get 3 of the 4 or so hats I was missing with this method in a single day, so give it a try.

Also for some reason after a while (few hours) the game would start giving me Villager items (you'll know because lloids and his custom moves will start pouring down), so I had to play a game or two of smash as Mii again.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Good news! In short order, I picked up both Fancy Pirate Hat and then the Frog Hat. And I think I may have stumbled onto something...

I saw someone on GameFAQs mention trying to influence the RNG by donning a new hat on a Mii character (as if to tell the game, yes, hats are important to me! I will use them!). After doing this and taking this hatted Mii through Classic, I then went into Target Blast and after numerous tries (but less than an hour later), I got the Fancy Pirate Hat. Straightaway, I put the Fancy Pirate Hat on one of my Miis and returned to Classic mode (on intensity 0.1 or something like that). On my very first red wrench, I got a Frog Hat!

Alas, despite putting the Frog Hat on my Mii, I have yet to score the last remaining hat (Santa Hat), after playing several rounds of Classic and loads of Target Blast. But... take my findings as you will.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
One thing that's super frustrating about grinding on Target Blast are those stretches where you have to restart 10-20 times in a row because no ****ing green custom item appears. Then when one finally does, you get so hyped up that you mess up and have to restart another 10+ times before another one appears.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Does taking the red path instead of the blue or green path in Classic get you more/better stuff?

Dean Maloney

Smash Rookie
Is it too early to know if certain enemies in Smash Run drop more Equipment sacks than other enemies? The mini-bosses can be handy for getting them since all you need is Super Armor and decent attack power to take them down, but it'd be nice to know whether certain enemies should be avoided since they're less likely to drop equipment.

Also, I saw a tip saying that 'more rare items' appear when Smash Run is played with 2+ people, can anyone verify this?

Mienaikage

Smash Cadet
Trophy Rush seems really useful on the Wii U version. Just pick Palutena, pile on the defence and use Heavenly Light. You'll get one custom every 30 seconds or so with the fever.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone know what causes wrenches to give some items (Mii costoms, equipment, and customs) over others? And what about the number of wrenches you get on the roulette in classic mode? Are these both completely random? A lot of my friends were able to get all the custom moves unlocked in about a week after putting just a few hours into it every day because classic mode gave them tons of wrenches and the wrenches often gave them custom moves. I've been putting at least an hour (usually a few hours) into grinding for customs in trophy rush and using the home button method in classic mode every day since the game came out, and haven't even gotten 1/3 of the customs, so I'm starting to think I might be doing something wrong.
In classic mode, is it possible that "cheap KOs" like you lost points for in 64 and Melee could make it less likely you get any wrenches? I usually go for KOing opponents by tossing them off the side of the stage to make the matches go faster, which I'm pretty sure the game considered "cheap" at least in Melee. I don't remember what else was considered a "cheap KO" in 64 and Melee, so I don't know if my other KOs could possibly be held against me as well. Other than that, I can't think of anything. Anyone have any ideas? Or are my friends just lucky/am I just unlucky?
:170:

Last edited by a moderator:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Does anyone know what causes wrenches to give some items (Mii costoms, equipment, and customs) over others? And what about the number of wrenches you get on the roulette in classic mode? Are these both completely random? A lot of my friends were able to get all the custom moves unlocked in about a week after putting just a few hours into it every day because classic mode gave them tons of wrenches and the wrenches often gave them custom moves. I've been putting at least an hour (usually a few hours) into grinding for customs in trophy rush and using the home button method in classic mode every day since the game came out, and haven't even gotten 1/3 of the customs, so I'm starting to think I might be doing something wrong.
In classic mode, is it possible that "cheap KOs" like you lost points for in 64 and Melee could make it less likely you get any wrenches? I usually go for KOing opponents by tossing them off the side of the stage to make the matches go faster, which I'm pretty sure the game considered "cheap" at least in Melee. I don't remember what else was considered a "cheap KO" in 64 and Melee, so I don't know if my other KOs could possibly be held against me as well. Other than that, I can't think of anything. Anyone have any ideas? Or are my friends just lucky/am I just unlucky?
:170:
What difficulty are you on? If you go on 7.9 you get pretty good rewards without having to fight master core. Other than that, I can't think of anything but luck.

BOY_BACON

Smash Rookie
I found something that works for me on the 3DS Version.
  1. Open Target Blast
  2. Zoom out
  3. Check if there is a wrench target
  4. Reset if there is not
  5. Try to hit the wrench target with the bomb
  6. Repeat 2-5
I got a couple of moves that way. This requires less fighting than he classic mode home button method, but you only get one move at a time.

EDIT: The classic mode method is probably more efficient, but this requires less runs of classic mode.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Does the strategy work for headgear? It's the only custom part I'm missing now, but spamming Target Blast doesn't seem to do much.

BOY_BACON

Smash Rookie
Does the strategy work for headgear? It's the only custom part I'm missing now, but spamming Target Blast doesn't seem to do much.
I'm not sure if wrenches unlock headgear. If it does, then you should probably just keep trying.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
It's just that it seems like I'm not getting any headgear from those wrenches, and when I do, it's a repeat. I'd say the headgear is probably the most frustrating custom collectible to complete; at least custom moves come pretty quickly.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
All Custom Moves are done.
I collected all but 3 Trophies. (Which are unlocked by Challenges)
I have all the Outfits.
All the Smash Run Powers.
But the Hats.
THE HATS.
I HATE YOU, DUPLICATES.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
Someone mentioned this earlier, but is there anyway someone can upload a game save with all the custom moves unlocked? Maybe we can import the save with homebrew?

also when i play a character through classic mode, i almost never get customs for the character I am playing. Its always moves for other random ones.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
also when i play a character through classic mode, i almost never get customs for the character I am playing. Its always moves for other random ones.
It's not like you're guaranteed to get your selected fighter's custom specials, but your odds of getting them do increase.

Top Bottom