• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS *A Guide to Unlocking Custom Moves Quickly*

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
Quick Note: The purpose of this thread is to (hopefully) provide a definitive guide to quickly obtaining custom moves. Various strategies for doing so have popped up all over the internet in the wake of the game's release. Given their massive quantity and the extent of grinding necessary to obtain them all, a primer is essential. If you're just interested in seeing the proposed method for this, skip to the list in part two. That part's very simple, but I'm going to try to be very detailed here, because I'm creating this with the hope that relatively new players will not have to struggle as much as I did at first in the collection process. As such any alternate methods that prove faster will be welcomed and this post will be updated accordingly. I'm no authority and I'm perfectly willing to change this and properly credit it if feedback indicates I should.

This thread is not intended for debate about the value, purpose, use, or competitive viability of custom moves. I would ask that if you are a cool, classy customer you will refrain from posts of that nature and seek out a more appropriate thread.
Thank you for taking the time to read this! I think you're great! Don't you ever forget it!

PART ONE: Basic Notes About Customization

Here is a breakdown of all custom moves by character. I'm not sure where it came from, so for now at least, thanks to some mystery person.
  • To customize any character, simply access the "Custom" menu from the "Games & More" screen OR turn customization (the wrench) on from the Character Select Screen and choose any character.
  • When all is said and done, every single character will have two alternate choices (for a total of three options) available for any given Special move.
  • For an example of all this, create a Mii character, which will guide you through the basics.
  • Aside from the Miis, Palutena comes pre-loaded with all of her custom moves already available. Keep in mind that she is a unique case within the regular roster in the sense that all of her alternate moves offer incredible variety. For most characters, custom moves will essentially take the chosen special and alter it in some way, as opposed to changing it to an entirely different move.
  • Remember that you can store up to ten variations of any custom move set and that you can test the set by pressing R from its menu before saving it.
  • Also, you can give the set a nickname. Your opponents will not see this nickname, it is just to assist your memory. I would personally suggest something simple; I give them a 4-digit code listing the moves picked (ex. 1323).
  • Custom moves can be used online against friends, but not against strangers.
  • There are 376 custom moves that can be unlocked. Maybe it's just me, but for me, that's a pretty big number. Listen, I can't pretend that I know or understand anything about you, you might even be a terrible monster and, just guessing, you probably are, but I'm hard pressed to believe that you would consider it editorializing if I told you that having to unlock that many of a thing sure seems like a lot of work.
I should obviously also mention equipment. It is unlocked in the same way that custom moves are, and is also represented by the wrench. The circle that appears on your character when customs are enabled will present what kind of equipment you're wearing. I am not as acquainted with it in practice, but you will need to use it within this strategy, so just make a mental note that it is there.

PART TWO: How to Unlock Custom Moves FAST

First things first, watch this video (which I did not make, kudos to its creators):

This is just part of the strategy, but it is the key component. It is essential that you understand exactly how this works. If you can see any of the red wrench icon you want above the icon showing when you do the Home Button trick, hold A and hit Resume to land there. If you can only see the icon you want with none of the previous one showing below, or if you see a sliver of the icon above it, you will pick the icon above it, so hit Resume without pressing A and try again. If you let the roulette keep going for too long, it will eventually stop, so try repeatedly if you are failing so that you don't risk being stuck with something else. You'll get it, it's very easy to learn. Sometimes the game will lag a bit in doing this. Don't worry about it.

Now, let's go through the steps to quickly collecting.

1. Go to Classic and choose the character who you most want to obtain custom moves for. They will be more likely to receive them, although you will also occasionally receive moves for random characters.
  2. Turn on Customs and equip anything that increases your attack power. Along the way you will unlock more powerful equipment, so adjust after every match. Focus solely on the attack stat, and, if available, choose equipment that offers critical hits or hyper smash attacks.
  3. Start Classic at the highest intensity you feel comfortable with, and use the Home Button trick before every stage to hit the red wrench.
  4. Well, now you beat the stage. The reason I specify what equipment to choose is that it makes this a relatively brainless process. With a good boost to your attack power, it'll only take a few smash attacks to win any given match.
  5. Once you are comfortable enough to increase the difficulty to a higher setting, do so. The more you do this, the faster it will go. With a handful of powerful pieces of equipment, I was able to take down every Classic stage in under 30 seconds, and even Master Core at 9.0 in under a minute - and this is not me bragging; I'm certain I'm not a great player by any means. This is just how much power the equipment offers.
  6. Again, not all drops will be moves. Many will be equipment. Some will be repeats. There does not seem to be a way to effect what drops.
  7. Rinse and repeat. All told, with practice this process will take 5-10 minutes and net you 15+ drops every time. When you've obtained all custom moves for any given character, the game will let you know.
That's all there is to it.
A handful of custom moves can (only?) be gained through Challenges. They are:
Captain Falcon - Lightning Falcon Kick: Land a 10 hit combo in Training Mode
Diddy Kong - Pop Gun Explosion: Clear 3,000 blocks in Trophy Rush
Ike - Muscle Bomb: Clear 1,000 blocks in Trophy Rush
Link - Giant Bomb: Clear 300 blocks in Trophy Rush
Mario - Explosion Punch: Score 200,000 in Target Blast
Marth - Easy Combination: Complete 100 Man Battle in less than 3 minutes
Meta Knight - Speed Drill: Win 5 matches as Meta Knight
Villager - Lloid Climb: Fight a match on Tortimer Island
Wii Fit Trainer - Big Ball: Land a 10 hit combo in Training Mode

PART THREE: Alternate Methods

Smash Run - Smash Run is fun, and if you're looking for everything, including gold and trophies, it's worth going through a handful of times. The problem is that drops are inconsistent and that some characters simply have a harder time faring well in this environment. It's up to you to decide how well this works, but it's essentially a gamble.

Trophy Rush - This one... Okay, I'll be honest. Some people have sworn by this, but I frankly find it to be the worst method available. I'll admit to this being a personal frustration, and I would recommend putting the effort in to see if you can find success with it. A two and a half minute rush will cost you 900 coins, and your skill level will determine how many customs you obtain. For me personally, a good run nets four if I'm lucky, but I've seen others claim to do well at it and snag eight or so every time.

I chose to recommend the Classic method because anyone can more than double their attack power and blitz through vs. matches, but ultimately all of these are worth trying, and you may find that one of these other ways fits you best. In the end the best way is probably just going to be whatever you have the most fun with, and obtaining every single move in the game is only really worth it for the completionists out there. Good luck!

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the tips sir. I'll try this as soon as I get my hands on the SSB43DS. It's making me hyped again~*

tatsurou

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2809-8582-1760
Thank you for the guide as this is one of the most frustrating parts of this game! I have tried a bunch of methods and found that doing classic method on a high difficulty where I can score 2-3 and sometimes 4-5 wrenches every stage, I can usually get all the customs in 3-4 runs if I'm lucky.

You should also add to run through the roulette one or two times to scan where the wrenches are and what the numbers are. Although sometimes it moves very fast you can usually spot the red numbers 1-5. Obviously you want to maximize your playthrough and always get the highest number of wrenches available. It also helps you mentally to remember where the wrench you want is after say a string of greens or gold (not possible every time, of course.) If you can remember the position it will allow you stop the roulette without pressing Home as many times, and speed up the process by a few seconds.

I would suggest an alternate strategy for your primer by equipping two items: 1) Start with Home-Run Bat, 2) Faster batting speed. I don't have the English version so I don't know the proper names. With a well-timed home-run bat you can finish even 9.0 stages in around 5 seconds. Of course 1v1 is much quicker than 4-player. The only problem with this method is it is difficult to beat Master Core (I am scrubby and still haven't beat Core on 9.0), but even not continuing and ending with the 15 or so items gets me a decent amount of custom moves if I'm lucky.

Edit: Also for trophy smash I have consistently obtained 500-570 combos without breaking, using Donkey Kong and only get 4-5 wrenches.

Last edited:

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
You should also add to run through the roulette one or two times to scan where the wrenches are and what the numbers are. Although sometimes it moves very fast you can usually spot the red numbers 1-5. Obviously you want to maximize your playthrough and always get the highest number of wrenches available. It also helps you mentally to remember where the wrench you want is after say a string of greens or gold (not possible every time, of course.) If you can remember the position it will allow you stop the roulette without pressing Home as many times, and speed up the process by a few seconds.

I would suggest an alternate strategy for your primer by equipping two items: 1) Start with Home-Run Bat, 2) Faster batting speed. I don't have the English version so I don't know the proper names. With a well-timed home-run bat you can finish even 9.0 stages in around 5 seconds. Of course 1v1 is much quicker than 4-player. The only problem with this method is it is difficult to beat Master Core (I am scrubby and still haven't beat Core on 9.0), but even not continuing and ending with the 15 or so items gets me a decent amount of custom moves if I'm lucky.
I'll figure out a way a little later to add these up top. The first is a really good note that I forgot to mention, so thank you for pointing that out especially.

As it turns out, I actually don't have those badges yet! That combination sounds insane though, so I'll be sure to mention it. Core on 9.0 is indeed still tough no matter what, I can't downplay that. The positive thing is that if you lose and have to play him again at a lower difficulty, you still end up keeping the rewards you've already won.

Anyway, thanks for the help! I'll probably just add an addendum section where I quote and add useful contributions like yours.

tatsurou

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2809-8582-1760
I'll figure out a way a little later to add these up top. The first is a really good note that I forgot to mention, so thank you for pointing that out especially.

As it turns out, I actually don't have those badges yet! That combination sounds insane though, so I'll be sure to mention it. Core on 9.0 is indeed still tough no matter what, I can't downplay that. The positive thing is that if you lose and have to play him again at a lower difficulty, you still end up keeping the rewards you've already won.

Anyway, thanks for the help! I'll probably just add an addendum section where I quote and add useful contributions like yours.
No problem :) I hope others can also contribute and make this a great guide.

On rewards and losing, if you lose a match and continue or quit, you will lose a certain amount of trophies/coins/wrench items. While you usually lose the first items you picked up (in the 1st or 2nd stage), for some reason there seems to be a high chance of losing custom items for characters that you aren't playing as, even if you obtain them later on. For example, playing as Peach, I got 1 new custom move for Samus and 1 new custom move for Peach on the Mii Fighter Group stage. Next, I die at Master Core, and quit. I lost the move for Samus but kept the one for Peach. Even if I continued and beat Master Core at the lowered difficulty, I would still lose a certain amount of custom items/trophies/gold. I don't know the exact mechanics but it definitely penalizes you for losing and continuing on a lower difficulty/quitting.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
What character and what equipment did you use to Beat Master Core 9.0 in under a minute? Did you just go for orange?

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I know I'm making progress with Yoshi with 8.5. But I think a lot of characters with flurry moves or powerful strikes will do the trick.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Seems worth a sticky, since Custom Moves are most likely legal we need people to unlock them as quickly as possible.

Toon link is 2cute!

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-6547-1774
What is the importance of the red wrench thing? And also, off topic but when I did smash run, it gave me a ton of stuff, but I can't find it in equipment, why can't I

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
The "glitch" can totally be patched.

They can have the spinner slow down instead of stop on your A press.
They can hide what the spinner is on.
Remove the spinner all together and just give you something random for each match.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I like the target smash method.

Choose ganon, hit pause to check for the green wrench. If it isn't there, retry until it is. If it's anywhere but the top row, just warlock punch twice and be done. This takes out the entire bottom row. If at the top, walk the bomb to the ledge before punching. Then just punch again.

This isn't fast, but it does average about 1 custom per minute for me. (half minute of retrying, half minute of clock + scene finishing) Vs 3-5 For 2:30 of trophy run, or however long Classic gives on 9.0. Never timed myself.

I did both methods A LOT. First classic mode, enough to get 100k+ coins. Then spent all that on trophy run. But I'm going to stick with Target smash because it's low effort and I can actually watch stuff while I do it. Classic and Rush take a lot of focus, i tried watching stuff while I did it but i always failed.

I repeat, IT IS NOT THAT FAST but I feel like I can do it for longer and not waste my entire day doing it cause i watched stuff too.

I also suggest going to controls and switching specials from B to A button so you can just spam the A button through both messages and the event.

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I love this thread. I just played jigglypuff and got all of the custom specials twice as fast as I was with trophy rush. However, I do not suggest a fully offensive build. I would suggest your two most powerful power items and your most powerful defense item. At least with Jigglypuff. Or else, you will die A LOT.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Oh, and if you guys are just looking to unlock everyone and no one in particular while you have a lot of people left, use a mii fighter or palutena. They don't get a bias for customs received since they have all theirs. I suggest brawler(1211), go heavy on attack with equipment but also invest a bit into speed. The base speed is high enough that a minor +30-50 is sufficient enough to let his air dodges cover ridiculous ground, especially helpful during the hands and core sword portion. (Can air dodge through the entire swinging spam)

Last edited:

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I would recommend playing smash run with a main. the drops are inconsistent, sure, but I have found almost all of my custom moves through it. a few through classic, but nowhere near the amount from smash run. (found my favorite Falcon Punch of all time in smash run)

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Is it just me or does it seem like it's more likely to get a part that's associated with the character you beat in classic?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Is it just me or does it seem like it's more likely to get a part that's associated with the character you beat in classic?
  1. Go to Classic and choose the character who you most want to obtain custom moves for. They will be more likely to receive them, although you will also occasionally receive moves for random characters.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Let me clarify. Not the character you're playing as, but the ones you fight when you get the option for equipment.

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
What character and what equipment did you use to Beat Master Core 9.0 in under a minute? Did you just go for orange?
I know I'm making progress with Yoshi with 8.5. But I think a lot of characters with flurry moves or powerful strikes will do the trick.
Ha, Yoshi is exactly who I was using when I did this. I admit that's situational - I think the important thing is to find the maximum level you're comfortable with. When doing this with characters I don't play very well, I'll usually just set the difficulty to 7.9, where rewards are still plentiful but the Master Core fight isn't required.
The "glitch" can totally be patched.
They can have the spinner slow down instead of stop on your A press.
They can hide what the spinner is on.
Remove the spinner all together and just give you something random for each match.
Sure, that's possible, but extremely unlikely. Patches will be plentiful for the game, no doubt, but I don't think this is the kind of thing they would go out of their way to put a stop to. Nobody is complaining about it and it has no effect on actual gameplay balance. I could be wrong, and if it happens, it happens. For now there's no need to worry.
On rewards and losing, if you lose a match and continue or quit, you will lose a certain amount of trophies/coins/wrench items. While you usually lose the first items you picked up (in the 1st or 2nd stage), for some reason there seems to be a high chance of losing custom items for characters that you aren't playing as, even if you obtain them later on.
I actually didn't know this, so thank you again. I thought only coins were lost when using a continue, my mistake.
I would recommend playing smash run with a main. the drops are inconsistent, sure, but I have found almost all of my custom moves through it. a few through classic, but nowhere near the amount from smash run. (found my favorite Falcon Punch of all time in smash run)
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love Smash Run. It may be inconsistent, but it flies by and can be very addictive, and when you do pull off a jackpot attempt it's incredibly satisfying.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This information may be all well and good, but considering how difficult the AI will end up being for the higher intensities, your attempts to quickly gain equipment could crumble to pieces when you realize that the defense drops will make you even more vulnerable to being KO'd quickly.

Basically, every method for collecting equipment has a double-edged sword attached, especially in Smash Run, where you do not have the option of adjusting the difficulty.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
One of the in game tips says you get more rewards playing smash run with more friends. Play with 3 friends, tie in every end game (first place gets more stuff I think).

I've been raking in the custom swag this way.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
The 3DS got a recent update which actually BUFFS the Home button strategy. Before there was a bit of delay before the home screen appeared but now that seems to be gone.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I like the target smash method.

Choose ganon, hit pause to check for the green wrench. If it isn't there, retry until it is. If it's anywhere but the top row, just warlock punch twice and be done. This takes out the entire bottom row. If at the top, walk the bomb to the ledge before punching. Then just punch again.

This isn't fast, but it does average about 1 custom per minute for me. (half minute of retrying, half minute of clock + scene finishing) Vs 3-5 For 2:30 of trophy run, or however long Classic gives on 9.0. Never timed myself.

I did both methods A LOT. First classic mode, enough to get 100k+ coins. Then spent all that on trophy run. But I'm going to stick with Target smash because it's low effort and I can actually watch stuff while I do it. Classic and Rush take a lot of focus, i tried watching stuff while I did it but i always failed.

I repeat, IT IS NOT THAT FAST but I feel like I can do it for longer and not waste my entire day doing it cause i watched stuff too.

I also suggest going to controls and switching specials from B to A button so you can just spam the A button through both messages and the event.
I've been using the target bomb method you mentioned, and like it a lot for the reasons you mentioned. But for some reason I'm only getting Link customs, is it maybe franchise bound?

Edit: I'm starting to get customs for other chars now, but like 9/10 are still link customs...

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I've been using the target bomb method you mentioned, and like it a lot for the reasons you mentioned. But for some reason I'm only getting Link customs, is it maybe franchise bound?

Edit: I'm starting to get customs for other chars now, but like 9/10 are still link customs...
For a while I was getting like 9/10 Marth customs, after I just tried using marth there for a bit to see if i could get different stuff, couldn't check very well because it's a lot harder with marth. Didn't really notice any link/zelda customs that often. Though I did notice I got a lot of swords for link/marth which was weird.

I'm not too sure how everything is determined, but after compiling some data (to be released later today) I have come to the conclusion that in classic at least, equipment received is reliant on both the character used, and the character(s) fought there. So it shouldn't be too ridiculous to believe target smash has some variables instead of pure randomity.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Does anyone know if using a character that you have already unlocked all of the custom moves for continues to unlock more duplicates for them even after you get the notification?

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Does choosing a red path as opposed to blue get you a higher number of wrenches?

Also the roulette will eventually stop spinning if you're as bad as this as I am.

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
This information may be all well and good, but considering how difficult the AI will end up being for the higher intensities, your attempts to quickly gain equipment could crumble to pieces when you realize that the defense drops will make you even more vulnerable to being KO'd quickly.

Basically, every method for collecting equipment has a double-edged sword attached, especially in Smash Run, where you do not have the option of adjusting the difficulty.
Sure, it will take some adjustment for anyone to find the difficulty setting they're comfortable with. But with 2 stocks guaranteed in every stage and the ability to KO opponents in seconds so easily, I think most people could manage to go pretty high. With a few good pieces of equipment, the gain in power is just so much greater than the loss in defense. Even if ~6.0 is as high as you're willing to go I believe this remains the best method.
Does choosing a red path as opposed to blue get you a higher number of wrenches?
Thank you for asking this, it slipped my mind - sorry, there are just so many things to keep track of in this game! The color-coding actually signifies difficulty level, with blue being the easiest path and red being the hardest. You'll almost always be able to find a wrench in the roulette wheel (I can only recall one time in my many runs through classic that there inexplicably wasn't even one) but it's possible that going down the harder route will net higher multipliers. I honestly can't tell, because I usually go for the red route anyway and don't have enough samples to give a definitive ruling. It seems logical that it would, but I don't have any proof. You'll pick up more coins and trophies from the path itself by going red, so there's that at least. If you can manage it, you might as well. If anybody actually knows just what math the game uses for this that would be very helpful!

I'll update the OP tomorrow and incorporate everybody's contributions then (with due credit, of course). Thanks for all the feedback, everybody!

Last edited:

Sambiti

Smash Cadet
So far this trick is working really well. Thank you for pointing it out.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Personally when I do 9.0 Intensity I go for pure defense.

It allows for a significant margin of error, as it makes you incredible difficult to kill for the slight inconvenience of speed (which only really affects your movement and jumps, not your attacks or defensive actions) with no attack downsides.

As Zelda with 190 defense and -101 speed, The regular battles (save Master Core) pose absolutely 0 problems. Even at Master Core, I only failed once because I wasn't used to the attack patterns.

Just my experience!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I tried with a full-power Falcon at 9.0 of intensity and it was harder than with normal Falcon (with whom I got to Master Core but lost). Still trying to find out the perfect build to beat it at that intensity.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I find custom move drops to be inconsistent when playing as a specific character.

I've played Megaman in Classic between 8.0-9 difficulty -4 times now- and beat it but have gotten drops for other characters (I never get Shiek, Olimar and Mario drops for some reason. Last I checked, they still had their vanilla moves). Whereas when I played Luigi last night I got the last Ness move I was missing when I was aiming for more Luigi moves.

RogerWazup007

Smash Cadet
It's BS that the most interesting collectible, of which there are so many and which is one of the main new features of the game for me, is excruciatingly tedious and unpredictable even with the exploit. It's especially infuriating when you finally do get a stash of neat alternate specials only to have them taken away after you lose against an extremely cheap boss that seemingly almost no one can beat at 9.0. There isn't even a filter for ones you already have, so if you're looking for a specific few, good luck.

I've come close to smashing my 3DS to pieces a few times trying to beat master core on 9.0. Reminds me of trying to beat Alma in Ninja Gaiden Black on hard... which I eventually did. With this, you have to go through several events instead of fighting the boss at that difficulty level again, unlike almost every other game I've ever played.

This game overall has some serious design issues. Its unlocking system is like rolling dice over and over hoping to get a specific set of results that has a 1/100 chance, except that you have to do something that takes a few minutes before each roll and, if you win, it can be taken away from you. "You've unlocked this really cool thing by chance! ... You've just lost it. Again."

I also feel like so many things were thrown in without much thought put into them. Tedious challenges like beating multiple modes with all 50ish characters, clones, the annoying street smash minigame, hazards on nearly every stage...

Last edited:

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
It's BS that the most interesting collectible, of which there are so many and which is one of the main new features of the game for me, is excruciatingly tedious and unpredictable even with the exploit. It's especially infuriating when you finally do get a stash of neat alternate specials only to have them taken away after you lose against an extremely cheap boss that seemingly almost no one can beat at 9.0. There isn't even a filter for ones you already have, so if you're looking for a specific few, good luck.

I've come close to smashing my 3DS to pieces a few times trying to beat master core on 9.0. Reminds me of trying to beat Alma in Ninja Gaiden Black on hard... which I eventually did. With this, you have to go through several events instead of fighting the boss at that difficulty level again, unlike almost every other game I've ever played.

This game overall has some serious design issues. Its unlocking system is like rolling dice over and over hoping to get a specific set of results that has a 1/100 chance, except that you have to do something that takes a few minutes before each roll and, if you win, it can be taken away from you. "You've unlocked this really cool thing by chance! ... You've just lost it. Again."

I also feel like so many things were thrown in without much thought put into them. Tedious challenges like beating multiple modes with all 50ish characters, clones, the annoying street smash minigame, hazards on nearly every stage...
Yeah, I basically agree with all of this. It's why I made the thread, really. Collecting custom moves is an excruciating process even with multiple exploits. I understand that Sakurai games are always like this when it comes to challenges and collectibles, but this is the first time where I actually care about some of them outside of characters and stages.

I'll add it to the OP, but when it comes to Master Core, if it's giving you so much trouble I would lower the difficulty to 7.9, where you're still getting good drops but can choose to just do the Master Hand fight at the end instead.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
You can get +20-40 on every stat using a balanced build, which has worked well for me when farming classic mode. You can potentially push that even higher with items with inconsequential negative augments, but that's very much down to getting lucky with augments on high power items.

If I'm mixing it up with Smash Run farming then I just go ham with speed equipment and focus on doors, chests, and whatever enemies are easyish to kill but have decent odds of dropping customs.

Last edited:

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831

You get hammers which I think are to break the achievements you can't unlock on your own. Also they are not all meant to be beaten day 1. Also with the hazards, yes they are annoying, but that is why they offer the FD versions of each stage too

After enough losses you stop losing Customs

Last edited:

RogerWazup007

Smash Cadet
So far there aren't any that I haven't been able to beat yet (since I finally beat Classic on 9.0, rather easily to my surprise after a certain build), but I might break some of the otherwise tedious ones like 100-man brawl with all characters. I'm very glad that the FD versions are included, although unfortunately they don't seem to be used in any single-player modes unless you pick the stage.

Last edited:

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Is there a way someone could upload the saved data with all the custom moves on the forums so that way anyone could get them all quickly?

XaviortheSavior

Smash Cadet
Seems to be very likely that you can only get those particular specials through the challenges, as I played the hell out of Smash Run with Mario and never got the Explosive Punch.
Don't know whether you got those names from a different version, but the names you listed are different from the ones I'm seeing in the North American version. I'll list them below. There are also a couple incorrect unlock methods. I'll provide the correct ones.
Captain Falcon - Lightning Falcon Kick: Play StreetSmash for the first time.
Diddy Kong - Exploding Popgun
Ike - Close Combat
Mario - Explosive Punch
Marth - Effortless Blade
Meta Knight - High-Speed Drill
Villager - Liftoff Lloid: Play 2 matches on Tortimer Island.
Wii Fit Trainer - Huge Header

Top Bottom