• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A guide to Rollout

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
A guide to rollout

Rollout is often considered one of Jigglypuff’s worst (and it really is), but I decided to lab it anyways.

General info

Rollout is your standard B move. When fully charged it does 14 damage, but this varies. I’ll get back to that later. When you deal damage or hit a shield with aerial properties (I’ll get back to it) you’ll go into hitlag and be helpless until you hit hit the ground. This means that if you hit someone while you’re off stage, you’re dead. But this isn’t about the bad stuff, this guide is about the jank and fun.

Rolling speed and damage

Rollout’s damage is speed dependant and max damage is 23%, that’s stronger than all of Jiggly’s smashes fully charged. This means, the faster you go, the harder you hit them. It is worth noting that rollout loses forward momentum while airborne. If you try to turn while going downhill, you’ll not turn, but take off and fly in the direction you’re already travelling.

Aerial and grounded properties

Rollout has different properties depending on if you release it in the air or on the ground. The most known property is that aerial rollouts launches the enemy straight up, while grounded rollouts launch them in a 30 degree angle. This mechanic stays the same even if you land change state. An aerial rollout landing and hitting someone on the ground will send them straight up. Aerial and grounded rollouts also react differently to shields. A grounded rollout hits the shield and keeps going. Let’s call this the relentless property. An aerial rollout on the other hand goes into the helpless tumble when it hit shields. But if your rollout ever touches the ground, it will gain the relentless property. Let’s look at some examples.

Grounded rollout -> Hit shield -> Keep rolling like a boss.

Aerial rollout -> Hit sheild -> Wait for your opponent to punish.

Aerial rollout -> Land on the ground -> Hit shield -> Keep rolling like a boss.

Grounded rollout -> roll off into the air -> hit shield -> Keep flying like a boss.

An interesting mechanic is that rollout refreshes it’s hitbox when changing from aerial to grounded state or vice versa, this brings us to the next topic.

Shield breaks

Using the hitbox refreshing property you can do double shield damage. The refreshed hitbox will hit even if they try to drop their shield after perfect shielding the first hit. The easiest way of doing this is by rolling off the stage as seen in the example below, but it can also be done if you start your rollout on a platform and land «inside» their shield.

Covering options and punishing

Rollout can be used to cover all getup options after a missed tech and can also be used to cover landings on omega stages.

Or punishing whiffed moves.

Rollout gliding
A pretty hard tech to perform, but without much use.

Rollout warping and leaping
Even harder to perform consistently and even less use than rollout gliding.

Stage applications

Smashville
Rollout glide while the platform is out on the side and you'll land on stage. Not that useful though.

Delfino

Breaking shields and extreme damage on certain transformations. Like this:

Lylat

Be careful turning if the stage is tilting, you might lose traction and fly away. Rollout should only be used when you know it will hit, because the downhill speed can send you flying out to the blast zone.

If you hit someone one the side of the stage while it's rising, Jigglypuff won't go into the helpless tumble state as she usually does. She will just land on the ground with the normal "landing lag" she has after the tumble.

Grassy omegas:
Mushroom Kingdom U, Mario Galaxy, Yoshi's Island,The Great Cave Offensive (only the left half of the stage) and Windy Hill Zone.

You can turn rollout four times instead of the usual three, because of the increased traction on grass.

Thanks for reading :) Feel free to ask questions.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I tend to use rollout for option coverage like you showed earlier. I think there's something to this move, I'd love to see it buffed to its old knockback.

Top Bottom