• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Great Evil Walks the Earth, the Ganondorf in Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion

What's your opinion on Ganondorf's moveset?

• Love it, it's inseparable from Dorf to me

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • Like it, but wouldn't mind a revamp

Votes: 56 30.3%
  • Neutral, don't care either way

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Don't like it, but I can live with it

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Hate it, and a revamp is long overdue

Votes: 45 24.3%
  • I like it, but I would still prefer a revamp.

Votes: 41 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Do you think they have decided or will decide to give him Deadman's Volley? There is still development time.
That's all I would want honestly. Hopefully it's at least being entertained.

I'm good with the Sword attacks for Smashes. I love the OoT design. All he needs is a projectile like Deadman's volley.

Morbi

Scavenger
At this point, he has his OG design back, I could care less about his move-set. I just wanted to be able to play him without vomiting and now I can do that. The sword does not hurt. Sakurai sort of listens, kind of. Nice.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Sakurai never ceases to amaze me with his ability to think outside the box. I was honestly wondering whether or not Ganondorf would return, since he didn't appear in Breath of the Wild. Instead, he brought him back with his OOT look, and gave Zelda her Link Between Worlds look.

I'm glad they at least Luigified him a little bit with the sword smashes. Melee Ganondorf, in mine opinion, was the best Ganondorf. That said, I'm glad they brought back that playstyle and polished it. I might actually consider maining him.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Is he perfect? No.

BUT I DON'T CARE I'M SO HYPED. I adore the new design he and Zelda got. Oot is my favourite in terms of design and he looks great with that magnificent cape.

AND HE SMILES

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I'm ok with the change back to OoT Dorf, though I do prefer him with a beard. Then again, OoT version of Ganon is my absolute favourite, so there's that. Love that they gave him sword for smash attacks. I would've preferred the trident but hey, I'll take it. F-smash and U-smash seem pretty similar to Ike's while D-smash looks like Cloud's.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Bah, just the Smashes got the summoned sword.

Ah well, it seems like FSmash is similar to Ike's, USmash is similar to the Links' final hit in their USmash or maybe Ike's Usmash, and DSmash is similar to Cloud's.

What's funny is I actually would've preferred if they based his USmash on Marth's if not just to see the Demise style lighting effect.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
OOT Design?

Sword Smashes?

Holy hell, boiz, I think I'm gonna be giving the new G-dorf a spin!

EDIT: The only way I could love him more is if he had a Hyrule Warriors Skin.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I essentially got what I wanted; not a totally revamped Ganondorf, but an altered Ganondorf; a sort of Luigified one, actually.

Some of his moves stayed, particularly ones that already perfectly fit the character, like Flame Choke, while others changed and took more notes from things he's been seen doing in Zelda games, such as his new sword attacks. And his design is just plain badass.

This is a good day for the King of Evil!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Goddamn, he looks ****ing spectacular. He has easily one of the best new renders, and going with the OoT design is just phenomenal.

I'm actually perfectly content with him using the sword as Smash attacks. It gives him his own flavor and keeps the parts of Ganondorf that felt true to him in the previous games. Dark magic-enhanced brutality, and now sword? I am absolutely on board.

Between him and Snake, and the changes to Shulk, it's going to be really hard to choose a main this time.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
In my humble opinion, what they did to him it's not enough. All I wanted is for him to have his probably most iconic move, dead man's volley, as his neutral special, instead of warlock punch, plus a different recovery move. For example, for his up special give him something based of portals teleportation, or make him summon his trident, use it as a recovery move and then throw it like he does in hyrule warriors; or even combine these two ideas, that way he gets a bit of everything.

Then add some changes to his nair, uair and maybe dair if we are generous and we really want to declone him good. Lastly, give him his wizard's dropkick custom move from ssb4 as his down special to differentiate further from Falcon and to give him more movement options, which are always fun.

With just those changes he would feel new without needing a complete overhaul in all his moves, and thus making almost everyone happy, those who like Falcondorf and those who don't. He would keep his "theme" while being original and true to his character. With just those changes to neutral special and up special I would be pleased, add the rest of the moveset I described and we have a treasure. They could even have kept warlock punch as a side smash changing it a bit if they wanted to keep that move.

I didn't even care about the sword attacks tbh, I didn't think they were that important (which btw they based them on Ike's and Cloud's smash attacks anyway so kind of cloney...) but hey, they look ok the way they implemented them. They are just not enough for me.

I just wanted them to remove some of his sluggishness and for him to not feel like a kind of a lazy Falcon clone with a bad recovery. After so many iterations, was it that much to ask, specially for such an important character? Ouch.

The OOT design looks amazing though, in that regard is just what I wanted. But come on, only a few key changes in his moveset (literally 5 moves or even less) and he would be good... so close yet so far.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
after watching the youtube video.. maybe its just me but ganondorf looks a bit tad faster in running speed.. Or did everyone's running speed get faster?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
after watching the youtube video.. maybe its just me but ganondorf looks a bit tad faster in running speed.. Or did everyone's running speed get faster?
It seems most mid-speed and low-speed characters got speed buffed.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Finally we are back to OoT Dorf!

Goodbye „lady-who-joggs-because-it’s-good-for-her-health“- running animation!

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Sakurai obviously won't stray too far from the "fear of alienating players" notion, but you can't say he didn't try.

As far as it goes, THIS ISN'T TRUE GANONDORF.

But as far as reaching the pinnacle of Ganondorf's Smash Bros Legacy:

WE DID IT BOYS! WE FINALLY GOT HIS SWORD AFTER 17 FREAKING YEARS!

For Ganondorf in Smash, this is a LANDSLIDE of an improvement. Even if this is merely a baby step in the long run, strides have been made towards a more perfect Ganon.

The day will come where Ganny will have exactly what he needs. The Ridley fans believed, and they were rewarded for it. We shall accept this gift of a sword with great appreciation, but not by losing faith that there's still room for improvement. If Ganondorf has to be de-cloned ever further one game at a time, then so be it!

But for now, rest my fellow dark lords. For the day of reckoning is nigh. And we shall make all who disrespect Ganon suffer; by blade, by boot, and by warlock's wrath.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
Hmmm I wonder if they'll have custom special moves like smash 4. his solid special had that sword as an alternative to the warlock punch.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Hmmm I wonder if they'll have custom special moves like smash 4. his solid special had that sword as an alternative to the warlock punch.
It doesn't seem so. I interpreted several statements in the direct (specifically regarding the Mii Fighters and Palutena) that their moves were standardized for the betterment of the characters.

Also, I found a new victory animation for Ganondorf:
Batman cape thing, then Power Pose.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
Ya know, I'm perfectly fine with this Ganondorf. ESPECIALLY now that they went back to his Ocarina of Time design. To be honest, I was never a fan of his Twilight Princess look. Not to mention, his Smashes got changed from Falcon Clone to something else. Bonus points that it's the sword being used.

I didn't want a completely revamped Ganondorf because I love the Warlock Punch and Flame Choke, but we got an altered Ganondorf now much more fitting for that title of Demon King. I can live without Dead Man's Volley.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Ganondorf looks great. Definitely going to be using him again like I did in Melee. He looks very fun to play.

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
I personally would've liked a dual-sword Ganondorf, but this is really not bad either. At all, I'm really chuffed with this. I just wish they replaced the Warlock-Punch with Dead Man's Volley and maybe the Wizard's Foot with something else.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Considering how this game focussed on adding old time favorites, the few changes Ganondorf got are already quite big. Since when did OOT Ganondorf have a sword anyway? I feel a lot of y'all are complaining for no good reason. His Smashes have changed, and those where the worst honestly. Sakurai kept true to Ganondorf's Smash playstyle and what fans wanted. I really don't think they did a bad job at this AT ALL!

Standlord

Smash Cadet
Considering how this game focussed on adding old time favorites, the few changes Ganondorf got are already quite big. Since when did OOT Ganondorf have a sword anyway? I feel a lot of y'all are complaining for no good reason. His Smashes have changed, and those where the worst honestly. Sakurai kept true to Ganondorf's Smash playstyle and what fans wanted. I really don't think they did a bad job at this AT ALL!
Well, I am complaining for a good reason. There are people who like the character and want a good representation of him. For example, would you be pleased if Diddy Kong was a clone of some other character with which had little resemblance with, and lose his most iconic moves? Like, remove his neutral special and up special and give him something another character already has. He would lose some of his most important traits as well as a lots of fun.

The worst where not his smashes, it was the lack of dead man's volley and the underwelming recovery, which is just a worse version of Falcon's. As I said previously on another post, with so little they could have changed so much. They could have kept warlock punch for those that like it, just as a side smash, not a special move. There was no need to change flame choke, as apparently a lot of people like it and it fits well into his kit. There was also no need to remove his warlock kick thing either, just give him what he had in ssb4 in a custom move to make it even better. But there was literally no reason to not change his neutral special and up special, as "Falcondorf" mains would have been pleased with the changes just as everyone else, and we would have gotten dead man's volley and some cool recovery move using his other unused traits. Its all fans really wanted. It would just add to the character, and he would only really lose his "Falcondorf" status. With the changes I proposed, his current recovery move is the only move he would really lose (and I don't think is very popular anyways, and, come on, is just a worse version of Falcon's). Other characters have changed some moves over the course of the series too and no one complained. I really don't understand why some people seem fixated on having the same cloney moveset over and over, specially when it would be so easy to fix and please everyone. Maybe they haven't though well on the possibilities.

Sure there are people who wanted him to have a moveset based entirely on swords, but probably most of them only wanted that because they don't want him to be just a slower Falcon, and they probably didn't know any other way to change him, so they keep insisting on the swords thing (or some maybe just wanted Toon Ganondorf) Well, turns out its not that hard to please everyone as some people seem to think.

It's not a matter of "well now he has a sword in three moves so everyone's happy, let's shut up". I don't think the sword was that important to begin with. It's a good change nonetheless, but is not enough. It's a matter of gameplay experience as well as good representation of the character. Am I the only one who doesn't like him to be a sluggish version of Falcon? I don't think so, what people like about him is the power and brutality of his moves, not his resemblance to Falcon, and he could perfectly keep that power. He has been in smash for very long and its dissapointing how little he has evolved considering how many years have passed. Sure, as I said earlier his OOT design is great and I love it, but its not only design what matters, and they should have changed this few but important things long ago.

Also I'd like to point out that, even if you think for some reason that his current moveset and playstyle is completely ok, being ok doesn't mean it cannot be improved.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Sword smashes means rip best upsmash of smash4. And these sword attacks arent enough for me. I wonder what else they will go for.

Zelda looks amazing too but she definitely needs something good and different like ganondorf I think.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
One thing I like about the sword smashes is that they generally feel more like an evolution of his old smash attacks. Especially his new down smash.

D

Deleted member

Am 100% satisfied with Ganondorf now honestly.
Same. This is really all I could have hoped for. I love it!
I always thought OoT Ganondorf was a better fit for his playstyle in Smash than TP Ganondorf, AND now we get moves with his sword that was literally teased since Melee in his victory animation and the newcomer silhouette, if you also don't count the Space World demo. It's beautiful! :')

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same. This is really all I could have hoped for. I love it!
I always thought OoT Ganondorf was a better fit for his playstyle in Smash than TP Ganondorf, AND now we get moves with his sword that was literally teased since Melee in his victory animation and the newcomer silhouette, if you also don't count the Space World demo. It's beautiful! :')
It's a lucky change honestly. GanonDORF hasn't appeared in quite a damn while in the Zelda franchise. The fact they wanted to change him up regardless is pure fanservice. Especially since that sword isn't even canon.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Ganondorf looks amazing! Everything about him looks great in this game.

Ganoncide being escapable kinda hurts just a little bit, though.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
Wait they changed his up smash from that weird high kick but did he keep his uptilt? i really hope not
In the treehouse stream that was immediatley after the direct, one of the guys plays Ganondorf on the Great Plateau. During that match, you can see him using the uptilt at one points. He whiffs it, but it's still there.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ganondorf will never get a projectile and he shouldn't.

Giving him sword smashes was already kind of a stretch, honestly. But at least that gives him range on a character that severely needed it.

But the beloved Dead Man's Volley will just destroy the Ganondorf playstyle that has been built up. Besides, heavy characters are supposed to have no projectile game in exchange for their high weight. It would make a character who's already frustrating to knock off even more so.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
I have to say that Im disappointed a bit. Maybe he will have slightly better mobility? ^^ I just dont want to see ganondorf a troll-fun-gimmicky character.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Didn't get Hyrule Warriors Ganon (maybe it'll be a skin?) but I'm happy with what we got.

He seems faster overall. U-tilt has shorter startup, f-air and down B appear to have less end lag. Things I want to know:

• Is Flame choke untechable?
  • What's the lag like on dair? Can it be short hopped without lag?

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
This is the coolest he has ever looked and they finally gave him his sword after 17 years of teasing.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Regarding the sword:

Ganon never used a sword in any Zelda games until Wind Waker, and then TP. The sword we're seeing now is from the Space World 2000 demo.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Regarding the sword:

Ganon never used a sword in any Zelda games until Wind Waker, and then TP. The sword we're seeing now is from the Space World 2000 demo.
True, but he does pull out the same sword in one of his Melee victory poses, so it's still 17 years before he was able to properly use it in Smash.

Top Bottom