• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A fun trip down memory lane in regards to Cloud's inclusion

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Found a thread from 2006.

https://smashboards.com/threads/want-cloud-strife-in-brawl-official-thread.71339/

From before even Brawl came out, there have been people who have toyed with the idea of having him in a Smash game. It's funny to see the responses saying that he will never be in. Most of the users who posted haven't been around in years. Oh, how things have changed. I wonder what they would say now.

Edit: This post
"Cloud would be much better than those lame characters like Sonic or those random Mario enemies that people want in."

With Piranha Plant recently announced it becomes funnier.

And this one:

"I like hot dogs. I also like bananas. But if you mix the two together, it would be disgusting and gross (a banana with ketchup?). Even though they're both good by themselves, they just weren't made to go together.

I like Final Fantasy. I also like Smash Brothers. But if you mix the two together, it would be disgusting and gross. Even though they're both good by themselves, they just weren't made to go together."

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yep, Cloud had as many naysayers as Goku.
True, Cloud had many naysayers. The difference here though is that he was still a much more realistic choice than Goku :>)

Goku has a slew of barriers and implications that Cloud never had to contend with, which is something that warrants its own thread.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Because of all the negotiations Sakurai has to get Goku from while Cloud just required a meeting with Square Enix? And yet, Cloud doesn't have his English voice and Final Fantasy has only two music tracks and no additional trophies or spirits. It actually makes me wonder why Cloud is even in? But Funimation has wanted Goku in, and if Namco, Shueisha, Toei and Akira Toriyama agree and Sean Schemmal can reprise his role as Goku, and he comes with the World Martial Arts Tournament as a stage, huge collection of music, a Piccolo Assist Trophy, Mii Costumes for Vegeta, Trunks and Bulma, a Frieza boss fight and additional spirits, while that is very unlikely that would be very surprising and impressive. But the Fighter Pass says it's just one Fighter, one stage, and music for that stage so it's not likely we would even get Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes, spirits or bosses. But even if Goku makes it to the Fighter Pass, that would have been impressive. Though perhaps controversial because people's requested game character didn't get in over an anime character. But whatever, Goku's chances are unlikely. In fact, any company who stated they would love their character in Smash Ultimate are unlikely because the roster was already decided on, including the DLC and anyone who has an unannounced character in would break their NDA if they say anything about their inclusion.

But anyway, would Cloud get anything more to justify his inclusion? I get the feeling that he's only in Ultimate for the "Everyone is Here" veteran priority.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sean Wheeler Sean Wheeler

...I don't think Cloud needs additional trophies, music tracks and such to "justify" his inclusion. Cloud being Cloud, as it being an iconic video game character, is good enough by itself. Square Enix is notorious for being very protective and stingy with their properties, which would explain the lack of FF music and anything else. His english VA not reprising his role has something to do with him being part of a union or something, but that issue has nothing to do with Nintendo of Japan. However, I don't see the relation between either of this and Goku's hypothetical inclusion in Smash.

You also overstate Funimation's role in all of this. They have little influence on Goku's inclusion regardless of what they said. They are just a dubbing company in charge of the english dub of the Dragon Ball anime, which is directed towards the US audience. They have no more power than other similar institutes that exist in Europe, Asia and Latin America that fulfill the same role for their respective audiences. Besides, they did it as part of the ongoing meme of wanting Goku in Smash. I doubt that most of his support is really sincere, and its probably just a byproduct of meme culture.

As you may know, getting all of those entities to agree with Goku's inclusion on Smash and then dealing with the publishing rights outside of Japan is a big hurdle that most third parties in Smash didn't have to overcome. Granted, I don't think Goku's inclusion would ruin Smash to the point of making me lose interest in the game but there are also some implications that his inclusion would bring; if Goku joins Smash, that is a line they would cross that they would never be able to go come from. Nothing would stop characters originating from other media to join in as well. That would open the floodgates for Batman, Shrek, SpongeBob, Naruto, Harry Potter, Steven Seagal, Ben 10 and so on. What started as a celebration of video game history will become this convoluted mess of fan fiction fuel that you find in games like Smash Clash and MUGEN.

"But Soul Calibur had Darth Vader and Tekken is going to have that guy from the Walking Dead"
Those are different franchises and are treated differently from Smash.

I acknowledge that things have changed though. Smash started as Nintendo-only characters, then Snake came along and left the door open for third parties to be included. Yeah, I know DB has had lots of titles on Nintendo consoles, but they are still strictly video game characters that have had some sort of connection with Nintendo, while Goku originated from a manga.
For most third parties, their inclusion in Smash also serves as free advertisement, to gain revenue and to give their series more exposure, but DB games are already more profitable than most of the franchises in that game. I'm sure Sega, Capcom, Konami, etc. are more than happy to let Sakurai use their properties, but if they were to include Goku, Toei would probably like for Nintendo to go the extra mile for them to make it worth their while. This is because Dragon Ball is bigger than Smash and one of the biggest franchises of all time across every form of media, so they are not exactly in need of the exposure the other third parties enjoy.

Smash is already going to sell buttloads regardless if they include Goku or not. Most people who want him are determined to get the game anyways. And even if his inclusion somehow causes Smash to move more copies, that wouldn't necessary mean that it would make Nintendo more money. Sakurai overworks himself but I don't see him bending over backwards for Toei's and Toriyama's sake.

Dragon Ball is enjoying a renaissance since the release of the Battle of the Gods movie in 2013. After that, they had one more movie, a show that lasted over two years, two successful (and competent) video game series in Xenoverse and Fighterz, an upcoming crossover collaboration in Jump Force and a movie releasing on December that is picking off where DB Super ended and will likely continue the story afterwards. So really, Goku isn't hurting to have a playable appearance in Smash.

Let Smash be the hall of fame for video game icons, both big and obscure, that it is already rather than devolving into sticking in anybody from other media. And let Goku duke it out with his manga brethren in games like Jump Forces. He belongs there more than he belongs in Smash.

People who want to play as him that badly are better off playing DB Fighterz. Or play a match with Lucario, Captain Falcon and Ryu. They are voiced by the same people who voice Goku, Vegeta and Gohan respectively, they are also brawlers who project energy, so that's the closest you'll get to a DB fight in Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom