• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few plays from my Pika, any advices ? (movement, options, etc...)

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
I know these are only FG replays, but even from these, there's a lot to work on when it comes to Smash/Pika basics

Here are the replays,
IMO the most interesting are Pika vs Ryu, and Pika vs Fox (the games I struggled the most with)

• Pikachu :4pikachu: vs Dark Pit :4darkpit: :

• Pikachu :4pikachu: vs Cloud:4cloud: :

• Pikachu :4pikachu: vs Ryu:4ryu: :

• Pikachu :4pikachu: vs Fox :4fox: :

• Pikachu :4pikachu: vs Villager :4villagerf: :

• Pikachu :4pikachu: vs Ike :4myfriends: :

What do you think ? Any advice, suggestion ?

Last edited:

Smeefy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smeefed
Your problems are ones that took me a very long time to learn. Like I had to switch to a different character to learn the fundamentals of the game long. To me it looks like you have sit down in the training room and understand Pikachu's movement. I've noticed that every time you get a forward throw you didn't try for the jab lock even though the majority of the time your opponent did miss the tech. You should try foxtroxt to shield to bait out a reaction instead of just always going for the dash attack. Also don't be afraid to approach with quick attack which can guarantee the up tilts instead of sharking for it. Id also recommend making use of pika's crawl for d tilt spacing plus its a nice change of pace that allows you to control the match. I'd also recommend practicing extending you combos. Not only that but as a final note try not to get to greedy with those smash attack reads it cost you several stocks in those matches. This was another thing that happened to me when I first picked up Pika this reveals that either your just pressing buttons which is always a bad thing or that your getting nervous and can't secure the kill which smarter players will be able to pick up and punish

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
Your problems are ones that took me a very long time to learn. Like I had to switch to a different character to learn the fundamentals of the game long. To me it looks like you have sit down in the training room and understand Pikachu's movement. I've noticed that every time you get a forward throw you didn't try for the jab lock even though the majority of the time your opponent did miss the tech. You should try foxtroxt to shield to bait out a reaction instead of just always going for the dash attack. Also don't be afraid to approach with quick attack which can guarantee the up tilts instead of sharking for it. Id also recommend making use of pika's crawl for d tilt spacing plus its a nice change of pace that allows you to control the match. I'd also recommend practicing extending you combos. Not only that but as a final note try not to get to greedy with those smash attack reads it cost you several stocks in those matches. This was another thing that happened to me when I first picked up Pika this reveals that either your just pressing buttons which is always a bad thing or that your getting nervous and can't secure the kill which smarter players will be able to pick up and punish
Thanks for the tips !
Yeah, there's definitely a low to work on, I'll work on all that :)

Indeed, Pika's Fsmash is very tempting: very strong and harder to punish than it seems, but well, it's still pretty punishable.

Smeefy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smeefed
Thanks for the tips !
Yeah, there's definitely a low to work on, I'll work on all that :)

Indeed, Pika's Fsmash is very tempting: very strong and harder to punish than it seems, but well, it's still pretty punishable.
Yeah I had the same problem with Upsmash early on. If your going to go for smashes make sure to combo them out of a tjolt to cover your approach if you miss

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
Hey guys, I've posted a few more replays on my channel, feel free to give it a look and to share your opinions !
Don't hesitate to be blunt if you feel it's needed, I'm looking for advices, I know I don't play well most of the time ;)

• Dadrik:4pikachu: vs VIRUS:4zss: (1/3) :

• Dadrik:4pikachu: vs VIRUS:4zss: (2/3) :

• Dadrik :4pikachu: vs VIRUS :4zss: (3/3) :

GearDragon

Smash Rookie
I would like to know why you up-throw at such low %'s then into a thunder which I don't think is guaranteed(maybe w/bad DI tho) and just in general work on your punish game as I don't think that you are getting as much off of them as you could.

Just me and my two sense tho :p

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
I would like to know why you up-throw at such low %'s then into a thunder which I don't think is guaranteed(maybe w/bad DI tho) and just in general work on your punish game as I don't think that you are getting as much off of them as you could.

Just me and my two sense tho :p
Because I should probably learn the right % for the uthrow thunder combo... :v
Yeah, I often miss punishes, because I'm sometimes scared to miss something and get bodied (because that's kinda what happens with Pika :p ) or because I mess up my spacing...

GearDragon

Smash Rookie
Because I should probably learn the right % for the uthrow thunder combo... :v
Yeah, I often miss punishes, because I'm sometimes scared to miss something and get bodied (because that's kinda what happens with Pika :p ) or because I mess up my spacing...
Yeah generally the up throw to thunder is about 110%-135% which is the range I use for most characters excluding jiggs and mewtwo, about 90%-100%(sometimes you can get away with 80%) and the heavies around 120%-140%(130% ideal tho)

And spacing is something that comes with just practicing landing where you want to consistently

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
Yeah generally the up throw to thunder is about 110%-135% which is the range I use for most characters excluding jiggs and mewtwo, about 90%-100%(sometimes you can get away with 80%) and the heavies around 120%-140%(130% ideal tho)

And spacing is something that comes with just practicing landing where you want to consistently
Thanks for the advice and for the info ! :)
I'll keep that in mind when I train

Toxic0118

Smash Rookie
NNID
Touchme0118
There are a handful of things that your doing that are pretty punishable. For instance you tend to dash attack and charge forward smash a lot. This tends to be pretty easily punishable so I recommend avoiding it. Also mix up your options out of grab from what I saw you really only went for forwards throw dash attack and up throw thunder. Other then that maybe some quick attack edge canceling for ledge guards and auto cancel your back air.

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
There are a handful of things that your doing that are pretty punishable. For instance you tend to dash attack and charge forward smash a lot. This tends to be pretty easily punishable so I recommend avoiding it. Also mix up your options out of grab from what I saw you really only went for forwards throw dash attack and up throw thunder. Other then that maybe some quick attack edge canceling for ledge guards and auto cancel your back air.
Yeah, a lot of these dash attacks are mess up, I really need to be more calm and don't clutch onto my controller when I play...
As for the FSmashes, bad habit, it worked so many times in the past that it has become kind of a muscle memory thing, definitely need to fix that and only use the move as a hard punish, you're right.
I'm still working on my cancels, it's pretty risky at times so I'm not comfortable using it often during matches, tbh... But that's definitely something that needs to be added in my play.
Thanks !

Toxic0118

Smash Rookie
NNID
Touchme0118
I feel the same way but with downsmash which is even worse it's terrible and a bad force of habit

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
Here's a BO3 set played against Fryz, on Smash Ladder:

• Dadrik :4pikachu:vs. Fryz :4robinm: :

A few RAR Thunder and UpB flubs here and there, as usual lol

Dadrik

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dadrik
Any tips on hitting the down b spikr
Honestly, it's not the most optimal edgeguarding tool, since people usually expect it, and is quite easily avoidable.
But, if your opponent doesn't have a jump left and is recovering high, run off stage, fast fall or don't fast fall depending on how far the opponent is, jump, down b.
Pretty cool when it lands, but quite dangerous. Especially online, where lag can prevent you from having enough time to jump on time while you're going down.

But it's rarely doable at a competitive level, since people usually keep their jump to recover, or to avoid such a punish.
But For Glory tho

Toxic0118

Smash Rookie
NNID
Touchme0118
K than
Honestly, it's not the most optimal edgeguarding tool, since people usually expect it, and is quite easily avoidable.
But, if your opponent doesn't have a jump left and is recovering high, run off stage, fast fall or don't fast fall depending on how far the opponent is, jump, down b.
Pretty cool when it lands, but quite dangerous. Especially online, where lag can prevent you from having enough time to jump on time while you're going down.

But it's rarely doable at a competitive level, since people usually keep their jump to recover, or to avoid such a punish.
But For Glory tho
thanks

Top Bottom