• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Dream's Been Cast! Master Hand joins the Fight! Confirmed PLAYABLE In WOL! THANK YOU DADDY SAKURAI!

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
The Alpha and The Omega, The Beginning and The Ending
Master_-_Hand.png

"MUHHAHAHAHHA!"
-Master Hand to the player, before the Closing Battle on Final Destination

Who Is Master Hand ?
Master Hand is a Magical Floating Hand that first debuted in the original Smash Bros game, and, alongside the OG 12 playable characters, has appeared in every subsequent game in the series since.
Per Tradition, he usually serves as the Final Boss of the Classic Mode in every game, battling the player with an extensive arsenal of Bullets, Swipes and Lasers.
As the series progressed, more Bosses wiggled and crawled their way into Smash, such as Crazy Hand and Giga Bowser in Melee, Tabuu in Brawl and Master Core in Sm4sh, but none of them could match up to the experience of facing Master Hand and his cackling laughter on Final Destination.

Aside from what is mentioned above, who or what Master Hand really is is something still completely unknown to fans of Smash Bros. Descriptions found on his trophies refer to him as a "being tied to the link between this world, where trophies fight, and the world beyond," and described as "the source of creation in the Smash Bros. universe."
A common explanation believed by many is that Master Hand is a young child (presumably a boy) playing with his toys, with every battle between the characters representing a fictitious one played out by Master Hand in a world of make believe.
This is supported in the intro for Smash 64, where Master Hand is seen setting out a battle between two fighters in a Child's Bedroom, and counting down to Three.
Another explanation built on the back of the first is that both Master Hand and Crazy Hand are brothers, with Master being the creative force in the world and Crazy the destructive force, and the battles between the fighters in the Smash world represent a struggle between the two in the real world.

Why Master Hand ?
If the newest Smash is truly the Ultimate game, surely it's time for the only OG Veteran to finally make his way onto the playable roster.
He already has a (albeit very small) moveset from his Boss days to pool from, and if Ridley is any way an example, they could easily make him slightly smaller and make it work.
Hell, they could even throw in Crazy Hand as an echo fighter, two for the price of one!

Moveset
STILL IN DEVELOPMENT

Signature Icon
mh.png

Supporters

Attachments

Last edited:

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I support. I think if there's ever a Smash that will have master Hand as playable, it'll be Smash Ultimate.

Benjakshin

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheBenFactory
Switch FC
3291-6573-0624
Basically right after E3 I thought there might be a chance that Master Hand would be the final secret unlockable character you get for beating Classic with every character. Now I'm not so sure with the focus on longtime fan requests, but I still think it'd be super cool!
I mean, since this is the ultimate game, and Sakurai loves the fans, and also how the whole theme is villains, I think this is Master Hand's time to shine (also waluigi's but...eh)

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I mean, since this is the ultimate game, and Sakurai loves the fans, and also how the whole theme is villains, I think this is Master Hand's time to shine (also waluigi's but...eh)
I hope so! If not playable then at least a special mode maybe. It's so hard to gauge the full extent of the Smash team's choices, even knowing they heavily looked at the ballot.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
How do we feel about Master Hand's chances after this Direct?

Part of me still thinks he might be the REAL final secret character to unlock considering he's had absolutely no focus except for whatever those other hands were in World of Light. If anything those hands (and Piranha Plant) add more of a chance cuz it wouldn't necessarily have to be THE Master Hand?

Hard to say. If he's not there in secret I doubt he'd be DLC though. What do you think?

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Hard to say really, I always had the feeling that if Master Hand was playable he had to be unlocked through some insane method. like completing Classic mode with all Characters.
Now that Classic mode and trophies are gone with the wind, maybe he can still be unlocked by defeating Galeem ?
Maybe i'm just grasping at straws.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Hard to say really, I always had the feeling that if Master Hand was playable he had to be unlocked through some insane method. like completing Classic mode with all Characters.
Now that Classic mode and trophies are gone with the wind, maybe he can still be unlocked by defeating Galeem ?
Maybe i'm just grasping at straws.
Classic Mode's still here, it was talked about in the 8/8 Direct with each character having their own progression. Master Hand just wasn't shown

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Due to a certain... thing in WoL.

I'd just like to say I'd love to see Master Hand become playable, especially since in Melee he was planned as a roster character in all modes I believe, they'd just gotta shrink him down, make sure the animations still match on his shrunken model, change the damage outputs, make him be able to get knocked around, give him a final smash and taunts and BAM, playable Master Hand on the roster done.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Would love to pledge my support for Master Hand: it's time Smash got its own fighter on the roster and the idea of playing as a giant hand is hilarious, so sign me up. I think there's plenty of potential for a moveset if you toned him down a bit, and his grab game would be on point.

Unfortunately, he has almost zero chances of getting in as DLC (or at least as DLC on the basis of the current model), but it's fun to keep the dream alive

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Maybe a new special stadium mode that lets you play as him ? It's unbelievable that he's only playable once and then you have to play WoL all over again just to have another try. :T

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It would be pretty upsetting to me for Master Hand to be one of the fighter pass characters.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I must admit, I was extremely surprised when I learnt Master Hand was playable in World of Light. When the battle began, I was looking for the characters I usually used, but couldn't see them. I then move the control stick, and then Master Hand moves. That was hands down the most epic part in World of Light--controlling the series's original antagonist.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm on board, especially thanks to that World of Light moment.

But only on one condition: He must be free not be part of the Fighters Pass. Shouldn't pay for something that's already in the base game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Literally support. Master Hand has a really intriguing and extraordinary moveset. Everyone is saying he needs to be toned down, but it really doesn't. Final Destination truly allows his functions, that's the stage where he's playable.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, count me in as a supporter! I’ve also drafted up a moveset for him.

4BF6AB94-8D29-412C-B98F-D9E9BF2DE3B7.jpeg

Feel free to use it in the OP if you’d like. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Honestly I don't know why this thread doesn't have more supporters. He seems like a no-brainer for me:
-Has been a mainstay in one of the most popular games of all time for over 20 years
-Is iconic among Smash fans
-The best Smash antagonist (Tabuu's pretty cool though)
-HAS A MOVESET IN THIS GAME, LIKE COME ON ALREADY NINTENDO
-We don't have a Smash rep yet outside of the Mii's, and I don't really consider them Smash characters even if that's what they technically are
-"Everyone is here" yet the playable character, MASTER HAND, who was playable thanks to an exploit in Melee and a boss fight in this game, is not playable in Ultimate's roster. Seems like it should happen in this Pass.
-Crazy Hand as an echo!!
Please do put me in the supporters list. Master Hand really does deserve a spot on the Smash roster, especially for a game called "Super Smash Bros Ultimate."

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly I don't know why this thread doesn't have more supporters. He seems like a no-brainer for me:
-Has been a mainstay in one of the most popular games of all time for over 20 years
-Is iconic among Smash fans
-The best Smash antagonist (Tabuu's pretty cool though)
-HAS A MOVESET IN THIS GAME, LIKE COME ON ALREADY NINTENDO
-We don't have a Smash rep yet outside of the Mii's, and I don't really consider them Smash characters even if that's what they technically are
-"Everyone is here" yet the playable character, MASTER HAND, who was playable thanks to an exploit in Melee and a boss fight in this game, is not playable in Ultimate's roster. Seems like it should happen in this Pass.
-Crazy Hand as an echo!!
Please do put me in the supporters list. Master Hand really does deserve a spot on the Smash roster, especially for a game called "Super Smash Bros Ultimate."
I completely agree. But Crazy Hand would be more of a semi-clone in my opinion since he has a couple of moves Master Hand doesn't like that bomb move with his fingers and that move where he rolls over like crazy in the middle of the stage.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I'd love to play as Master Hand myself. (Which reminds me when my sister and I took turns playing WOL she played as Master Hand in the one stage you could play as him and said he was a lot of fun to play as.) Maybe he could have the voice of the announcer? ;)

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
My head canon is the Smash announcer is Master Hand since he says the character's name after you put the hand on the character's select sceen render.
My sister has that head canon too and she imagined a scene where Kirby and Bandana Dee enter a recording studio and see Master Hand recording lines and wearing glasses he doesn't need. Not surprisingly, they are shocked by this relavation. :grin:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Let's see it happen. I think it's very possible he may be reworked as a more proper fighter once all the DLC is done. There's no better sendoff for the ultimate Smash title. Perhaps a freebie, perhaps standalone DLC a la Piranha Plant.
The fact that his WoL minigame has no easy way to replay; no unlockable Mob Smash mode or anything... it seems like such a comical oversight, does it not? Suspicious, perhaps. What are they planning? Is it what our man deserves? I think it just might be. I support~!

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
(Oops! Sorry for double posting. It was my mistake.)

Master Hand being the announcer is a head canon? I didn't know it wasn't accepted matter of fact. Even disregarding that he's consistently had the same VA as the announcer... the sound of that laugh sure does sound like it came from the announcer anyhow. Voice actors can sound differently for different characters they voice, it's no coincidence. Besides, he's no mindless entity. He created the Smash universe, surely he can read.

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
(Oops! Sorry for double posting. It was my mistake.)

Master Hand being the announcer is a head canon? I didn't know it wasn't accepted matter of fact. Even disregarding that he's consistently had the same VA as the announcer... the sound of that laugh sure does sound like it came from the announcer anyhow. Voice actors can sound differently for different characters they voice, it's no coincidence. Besides, he's no mindless entity. He created the Smash universe, surely he can read.
That reminds me that my sister made a joke of Kirby and Bandana Dee finding out Master Hand was doing announcer work in the sound booth and being shocked at it. XD

Terry Bogard

Smash Apprentice
He's prob. the only character in Smash history that's playable in a game, but not on the roster of said game. If he's DLC, he HAS to be the last character, for the hype!

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
He's prob. the only character in Smash history that's playable in a game, but not on the roster of said game. If he's DLC, he HAS to be the last character, for the hype!
It was a bit underwhelming we weren't able to use all of Master Hand's moves. Hopefully the dream is eventually full-ized.

Top Bottom