• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[A Discussion on Items In Brawl]: Studying Snake

Moon-Doggie

Smash Ace
Hi there, to introduce myself, My name is Louis Quinones and My Brawl
Tag is Moon-Doggie (Fox main.)

The reason I made this thread was to discuss something that is sort of untapped
in proffesional brawl playing, and that is Items. A long time ago there was a tourney
that was bold enough to actually make Items a part of the rule and received alot
of criticism. I don't remember the name of it but I believe that tourney was partially
correct. Items should in fact be put into profesional tourney play. Here is my main
reason.

Snake
Snake proves that there is a different kind of fighting character in comparison to the roster, his items dont just camp, they trap, they go the next level and not only make you go to snake but be trapped too. another character with these qualities would be Diddy, this cannot be found in Melee. Only Him and diddy possess these special traits which brings the question to hand, is it balanced?

I was enjoying an evening snack while watching Ally's Snake play Lain's ICs when it
hit me. I began to observe how Ally was using his grenades not as a camping tool
but as traps to form control over the stage and how the opponent moves upon it.
Once I had realized what he was doing I had made the connection. The connection
was that his specials were just Items, regular Items. But here is the disadvantage.

ONLY he can make these Items appear.
ONLY he can use them. ------ People can use it against him but the risk is far too great
and the disadvantage is very clear.

Now, if we look at it in the eyes of the creator when looking at Snake, they had given him power and durability which make up for his overall lack of speed but what really completes his character is his items. The creators did not worry about this though because of the simple fact that the rest of the Cast can have through the Items option, this balanced that defining factor. BUT us, as a community took out items from the metagame and this hinders
alot of characters. Most characters have a camping weapon such as Fox's gun, Mario's Fireball, Wolf's Laser, But Snake has Items at his disposal which goes a step above the average camping. Which is why i believe testing out Items would balance the tier list substantially and make the game that much more competitive. It would instill new thought processes in how to predict not only your opponent but an Item and also Combos can exist through items, we just really need to test this feature.

I am also not saying all items should be in the game, but one that has similar features of
Snakes grenades or Diddy's trap bananas. I am also not saying I am 100% right, which is why I am opening this thread, this is an attempt to open up the communities mind and discuss something that would be very fun to discuss. Thanks for your time and always evolve that metagame ^____^

P.S I am also not saying we should make items part of the game play, this is just something for everyone to think and discuss. If it so happens to catch on we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
For a while, I have been thinking that most non-character spawned items generally deteriorate from gameplay. The reason is because of randomness. An item can ruin many situations whether or not the item is broken. In the following scenarios, we will assume that all items mentioned were legal by tournament standards. For example, lets say that a player is Jigglypuff. Lets assume that the Jigglypuff was forward smashed offstage by a Link. Before this happened, the Link threw a gooey bomb at the Jigglypuff. The Jigglypuff would have successfully made it back on-stage, but the gooey bomb detonated killing the Jigglypuff. Another example would be that a King Dedede player was chaingrabbing a Wario. The King Dedede would have successfully chain grabbed Wario across the entire stage, but a banana peel spawned in between both players as the Dedede was dash grabbing. As a result, the King Dedede tripped allowing the Wario to forward smash the King Dedede causing the player to lose the match.

Remember that all the scenarios described are purely hypothetical.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Snake presses B and he pulls a grenade out.

Items spawn at random locations at timed intervals (I think) with no telling what that item will be.

I have no idea how you made this connection.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Surely if we had items then the Snake player has equal chance to have those and therefore gain more items than he had to begin with..

Besides, Metaknight is still the top of the tier list by a large amount and lacks any items to use.

Plus....a good user can pick up Snake's grenades and use them as an item against him.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
you can use snake's grenades against him
also once you get used to diddy's bananas they're not that annoying
so no (can you really think of items that aren't going to mess up a match)

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If we look at it in the eyes of the creator when looking at smash we see a party game, made to be played FFA on hannenbow.

For everything that concerns the discussion about "items or not items" please read the ISP (Item Standard Play) sticky, that will answer all your questions.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Wow funny read.

Items just fudge up the game more then it already is. Just no.

REL38

Smash Lord
Characters who have moves where "items" (aka projectiles) are used:

Link and Toon Link can pull out Bombs
ROB can pull out a Gyro
Peach can pull out Turnips
Wario can use his Bike or Bike pieces
Zamus starts with 3 pieces of armor
Snake can pull out gernades
Diddy can pull out bananas

These characters have moves that utilize a projectile that can be thrown. So we should allow items so that the characters without "items" fair a better chance?

The idea is laughable and trite.

Each character is given advantages and disadvantages when it comes to their moveset.
That doesn't mean that items should be implented for the characters who have drawbacks just to compensate for what they lack.

So Ganon is too slow? Let's just put in the Bunnyhood for him so he can be faster. So characters who have no projectiles getting ***** by the laser camping? Let's just give them the Franklin Badge so they don't have to worry about that.

It's not that easy because certain items may do wonders or cripple certain characters. It would just put in a factor that was not needed in the first place. Competitive Smash should not rely on the matter of randomness in a serious tourney match, just to compensate for the characters who lack in certain areas.

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
Adding items brings in random variables than can significantly affect a match. Tournaments are supposed to be a test of skill. There's no skill in getting a lucky spawn. Adding items isn't going to balance the game by any means.

I believe Sakurai stated in an interview that items spawn closer to the losing player, so it's not even completely random.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
For a while, I have been thinking that most non-character spawned items generally deteriorate from gameplay. The reason is because of randomness. An item can ruin many situations whether or not the item is broken. In the following scenarios, we will assume that all items mentioned were legal by tournament standards. For example, lets say that a player is Jigglypuff. Lets assume that the Jigglypuff was forward smashed offstage by a Link. Before this happened, the Link threw a gooey bomb at the Jigglypuff. The Jigglypuff would have successfully made it back on-stage, but the gooey bomb detonated killing the Jigglypuff. Another example would be that a King Dedede player was chaingrabbing a Wario. The King Dedede would have successfully chain grabbed Wario across the entire stage, but a banana peel spawned in between both players as the Dedede was dash grabbing. As a result, the King Dedede tripped allowing the Wario to forward smash the King Dedede causing the player to lose the match.

Remember that all the scenarios described are purely hypothetical.
regarding the nana peel... im pretty sure someone has to pick up the nana to activate its ability to cause trips if its randomly spawned. and if the link throew the gooey on puff well, thats not random link obtained the item, used the item for what it was meant and puff failed to retaliate. (its as simple as airdodge.) I do know what you're getting at though... just cut to the chase and bring up the scenario where a player lost the set because an exploding capsule popped on him. and as far as i know its the capsules that limit item play due to how you cannot control whether they go boom or not. and as far as i know you cannot turn them off. cant check since my wii is in use by another person atm.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
ISP is ^ way.

I wonder how you even made a connection between controlled item spawning and random items. :V

Also, didn't link pull bombs in Melee? Young link too? Used for stage control and what not.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
regarding the nana peel... im pretty sure someone has to pick up the nana to activate its ability to cause trips if its randomly spawned. and if the link throew the gooey on puff well, thats not random link obtained the item, used the item for what it was meant and puff failed to retaliate. (its as simple as airdodge.) I do know what you're getting at though... just cut to the chase and bring up the scenario where a player lost the set because an exploding capsule popped on him. and as far as i know its the capsules that limit item play due to how you cannot control whether they go boom or not. and as far as i know you cannot turn them off. cant check since my wii is in use by another person atm.
They are just hypthetical scenarios though. The solution to the Jigglypuff scenraio is pretty simple though. As far as I know, the capsule cannot be shut off unles all items other that the sandbag are shut off I believe. That alone I believe is what warrants a ban on almost every item.

Top Bottom