• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Competitive Guide to Charizard

A Competitive Guide to Charizard

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
KingsHaki submitted a new guide:

A Competitive Guide to Charizard - Learn how to tame your inner lizardon

This guide is going to be a competitive strategy guide. If you are looking for breakdowns of percents, terminology, etc this is not the guide for you. This is a guide for those who know smash and they see what Charizard has but want to know how to use it.

Spacing: Charizard, in my opinion, is a mid-range, spacing/bait character. You want to corner your opponent to one side of the stage and wall them out. You are going to try and predict their movements, make the right...
Read more about this guide...

Shog

Smash Ace
Yeah, it seems you have based this off some other charizard.
Also no really neat tricks are in it. And no stuff about which is charizard fastest moves, or best "fast" punishing move(we all know that F Smash is laggy as Slowpoke, but what can we use, huh...HUH?:shyguy:)

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You have your throws wrong. Down throw is a better kill throw than forward throw, and it pushes them too far to follow up at low %s (that's where up throw comes in).
From my understanding, he isn't saying to use fthrow/bthrow to kill at higher percents, but rather to launch them off stage with them at high percents so Zard can gimp more effectively, which is something he excels at.

I do agree that UThrow is probably the better throw for follow ups, though.

EDIT: FSmash is actually pretty fast for a move of its strength, it's just highly punishable. Someone told me it has invincibility frames at start up but I'm not sure?

Last edited:

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: FSmash is actually pretty fast for a move of its strength, it's just highly punishable. Someone told me it has invincibility frames at start up but I'm not sure?
Active frames are invulnerable, but startup and ending aren't

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
Thanks for the comments fellas. That interpretation was correct, I was saying that fthrow and bthrow are useful for getting offstage and I just use dthrow for damage. Remember not to get too worked up about "follow ups" because Charizard isn't about combos or rush down. You win and lose games in the neutral game. And if you want "tricks" or cheap tactics go pick Rosalina or Diddy, if you want pride from beating your opponent with fundamentals and reads play charizard :).

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
I'm not sure what you mean by based this off "another charizard." But anyway dash attack works fine for quick punish, depends on situation.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I didn't see U Tilt in his juggling options. I don't know if it's good or not but I find that it's a very nice option against auto fall dairs and WizKick/ Bowser bomb type moves without as much end lag as UpSmash.

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
I didn't see U Tilt in his juggling options. I don't know if it's good or not but I find that it's a very nice option against auto fall dairs and WizKick/ Bowser bomb type moves without as much end lag as UpSmash.
Yeah it's mentioned in there bro. But I agree definitely a good option because his wings stretch so freakin long!

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
LOL! My bad was using my phone, I fixed it now.
Yeah kinda, but kinda not - the text is accurate now, but the actual link, if you click on it, still takes you to the Amiibo video. Have to copy the text link and paste it into address bar to get to the right vid.

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
Yeah kinda, but kinda not - the text is accurate now, but the actual link, if you click on it, still takes you to the Amiibo video. Have to copy the text link and paste it into address bar to get to the right vid.
,,,,*facepalm* it's good now!

Rokuro777

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shocking_Bawls
You should work to format the actual guide in this post, would probably get more reads

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Are the matchups :4charizard: : :4mario: or :4mario: : :4charizard: ?
Probably the former. I would be pretty surprised if the creator of the guide intended to put the Sheik or ZSS matchup in Charizard's favor.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
Probably the former. I would be pretty surprised if the creator of the guide intended to put the Sheik or ZSS matchup in Charizard's favor.
Well, there's a quick way to tell! (Sheik)

1. Is Flamethrower good in neutral? If yes, assume an even or 0 matchup. If no, start at -1.

2. Can you reliably super armor (Fly and Rock Smash) out of pressure, because either their frame data or movement speed isn't that great? If yes, add 0. If no, move it another -1.

3. Can you gimp their recovery reliably? If yes, add +1. If not, add 0.

should be 7-3 Shiek favor

Top Bottom