• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"A communication error has occurred" when trying to connect to 3ds Online

AttackOnTigrex

Smash Rookie
In the last few days or so about most of my attempts to connect online have been met with that message immediately after the "Communicating with the server" screen. I have tried rebooting my 3ds and my router but neither has helped, and it's worth noting that I'm still able to use other online functions (e.g eshop, internet browser and even the in-game DLC shop). Anyone have any idea of something I could do to solve this problem? It's getting incredibly irritating having to wait for it to decide to work before I can go online.

Leftox Fluxinton

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3840-6092-9021
Switch FC
8067-7349-0797
I've had this same problem recently. Every now and then, I can connect, but when I leave I can't connect. It seem like it only works at a certain time a day for a limited time. I've reset my router a few times and it hasn't helped either.

PonderBot

Smash Cadet
The same thing has been happening with me. I have tried port forwarding, setting the ip address and other stuff manually through my 3ds, checking my router to whitelist my 3ds, etc. This all started when I switched in my old 3ds for the new one yesterday and ever since then I just can't get online. I have posted everywhere and gone all over the place looking for a solution but have yet to find one...

Thorina

Smash Rookie
I get the same problem too. Sometimes it can take 5+ error messages before I can get in, then other times I have no error messages at all. Occasionally I'll get the message "cannot connect to partner's device" in between "communication error"s. No idea what causes it since it doesn't always happen.

PonderBot

Smash Cadet
I get the same problem too. Sometimes it can take 5+ error messages before I can get in, then other times I have no error messages at all. Occasionally I'll get the message "cannot connect to partner's device" in between "communication error"s. No idea what causes it since it doesn't always happen.
I can't get in at all. I decided to give it a shot today and just repeatedly attempt to get online but it just didn't work at all.

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
Can confirm that I am also having this problem. In the past I would always connect first/second try with occasional times where I wouldn't be able to connect, in those cases I just had to turn off/turn back on my 3DS and it worked fine. Now, I can still connect online but it always takes at least several hours of nonstop attempts to make it on. These problems came out of nowhere and were not prompted by any changes to anything internet-related. Every other internet-using object in my household has no problems. Hell, my 3DS can even connect to the Smash 3DS DLC shop with no issues

Last edited:

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I've been starting to have this problem too for the past couple of weeks. Occasionally I do manage to get online. But I would love to know what determines this error, when I can get online anywhere else. I haven't messed with the3ds settings. And Nintendo's site shows the servers are fine.

In another forum, one person suggested the error could be because of being banned or in "Smash Hell" but I doubt it. I believe I was in Smash Hell before and didn't have problems connecting online.

Deezxnutz

Smash Cadet
I know EXACTLY what ya guys mean and I had the same issue for a good while too but the solution I found was to go to: Games & More, Options, Internet Options then I turned off everything except Spotpass (don't know if that one really matters in this case).

Once I did that I'm able to get online 100% every time now.

PonderBot

Smash Cadet
I know EXACTLY what ya guys mean and I had the same issue for a good while too but the solution I found was to go to: Games & More, Options, Internet Options then I turned off everything except Spotpass (don't know if that one really matters in this case).

Once I did that I'm able to get online 100% every time now.
It looks like the other things don't matter. It's the sharing data with friends option that's causing the problems. I sent through and turned them off one by one and it looks like the culprit. Unfortunately I have no idea why.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
It looks like the other things don't matter. It's the sharing data with friends option that's causing the problems. I sent through and turned them off one by one and it looks like the culprit. Unfortunately I have no idea why.
So that means you are now able to play online? that worked for you as well?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
How do i turn off sharing data with friends? is it an option on my 3ds or router.

PonderBot

Smash Cadet
How do i turn off sharing data with friends? is it an option on my 3ds or router.
You turn it off in the game settings. Go to smash 3DS, and from the main menu go to options then internet settings. In there should be an option that mentions "receiving" data from friends. Turn that off and it should work. You will also be able to get online really quickly with this.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
You turn it off in the game settings. Go to smash 3DS, and from the main menu go to options then internet settings. In there should be an option that mentions "receiving" data from friends. Turn that off and it should work. You will also be able to get online really quickly with this.
Thanks! yup it worked :D

Smashatist504

Smash Rookie
I'd just like to thank this thread it saved my life playing-wise! This was a huge problem for me but the turning off everything except spot pass seemed to work.

MrDannyloco

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrDanyloco
3DS FC
3738-0447-2324
Hey, thank you very much this helped me by alot. I had this problem for about 3 months now and i did not know what to do. Good thing I found this forum, i thought I was in smash hell lol.

Drewthedude64

Smash Cadet
I'm so glad this thread helped, I couldn't get it to work for months, but I can finally play it online again!

LoveYourDaddy

Smash Rookie
I don't know if I'm the only one still having the issue after turning off all these settings, but I really hope someone has a solution.

IDK if this is the only thing wrong, though, because my 3DS (on the friends list) says i am offline.

Last edited:
Top Bottom