• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A common habit?

Coninator

Smash Rookie
NNID
coninator123
Recently i just figured out that i have a very unpractical habbit.

When I go for a execution and i actually miss a follow-up i still try to get the exceution down even when i know that my opponent isn`t in reach. For instance:

I`ll go for a waveshine downshmash against CF and i miss one shine, i see the scenario ,but still try to waveshine to the edge and perform the downsmash. Even when my enemy is in center stage and gets ready for a punish.

Do you have a the same habbit as i have?

I think that is something that you should try to prevent, eventually it can give you percents or even the whole stock in tournament.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Coninator Coninator you're making big decisions too soon, when you should be making many small decisions at the last instant and frequently. This is how mentally demanding melee is. Constant decision making + the reactions and tech skill to apply each decision. Don't fully commit to big things unless you know your opponent won't have any options.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I think what he means is you're committing to waveshine downsmash in your head before you've confirmed that you can pull it off. Instead, you should keep the option of waveshine downsmash in your head and then only do it once you have confirmed that it will hit (/you waveshined properly)

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Human reaction time is ~0.25 seconds, or 15 frames. When you go for an option like waveshine into downsmash, there's a good chance that you can't react to whether or not you hit the shine. There's not enough time in-between the shine and the d-smash inputs for you to switch things up and turnaround shield instead of d-smashing. You're likely waveshine into d-smashing, and convincing yourself in hindsight that you should've been able to react to missing the shine (which isn't feasibly possible, unless you're doing it pretty slowly).

In that situation you pretty much just have to get a feel for knowing whether or not the shine is gonna work from the moment you input it, based on whether he dashed away or jumped or shielded right before you press shine. If you can react at that point, you'll have enough time to pick another option. If you find that you are starting to be able to react or notice it in time, but don't know what option to fall back on as a plan b, consider writing out a flowchart. "I''ll go in for waveshine into x, but if I know I'm not going to hit the shine, I'll do y or z after the shine instead depending on where we are on stage or what % he is, etc." Probably easier to write that out in a tree diagram or something.

EDIT: Actually you should have 17 frames between shine and whatever option you pick after waveshining I think. 4 frames before you can jump, 3 frame jumpsquat, 11 frames of landing lag after wavedashing. But the point still stands that if you try to react to whatever happens from before the shine, you'll still make it much more realistic to react by the time you finish waveshine with a different option. You're reaction time is likely to waiver between quicker/slower than 15 frames depending on how alert or tired you are, too, so there's sure to be times where you don't have enough time. http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime (keep in mind that it's easier to hit react with a touch screen than with a mouse physically, but computer screens often display images more quickly than phones, so there's a large margin for error using hbm)

Last edited:

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
Personally I have a habit of not practicing dash dancing while playing against 20XX CPUs, making me unprepared when I play real people

SparkSubmarine

Smash Rookie
Your problem is that you made the whole sequence muscle memory. Just focus on doing the original part and then mixing up your next play. This could also lead to reads if you keep repeating it.

Top Bottom