• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A character you wanna be good with but cant?

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
For me its donkey kong. I got bowser down to the letter but DK is for some reason beyond me.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
For me its :ultzss:
ZSS seems like a really fun character to play as if you get the hang of her but she just doesn't seem to click with my playstyle.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
For me its :ultzss:
ZSS seems like a really fun character to play as if you get the hang of her but she just doesn't seem to click with my playstyle.
Thats me with any projectile spam “zoner” character. Just doesnt feel right to play like that for me.

DrDank44

Smash Rookie
how can dk be hard to play in any capacity, especially if you already know how to play dk. Any character can be learnt,, even if they dont click at first

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
how can dk be hard to play in any capacity, especially if you already know how to play dk. Any character can be learnt,, even if they dont click at first
Hes not hard to play but hard to master. Hes super big and rather slow with little answer to zoners. But hes a character u cant call cheesey or cheap hes only as good as u are but u really need to be ultra instinct with him.

DrDank44

Smash Rookie
no he really isn't. hes fairly cheesy with back air edgefuards and grab combos (especially with kill confirms off ps2) and there isn't much to him

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
no he really isn't. hes fairly cheesy with back air edgefuards and grab combos (especially with kill confirms off ps2) and there isn't much to him
Idk i feel the edge guard part is accurate but most characters are guilty of Bair edge guard attempts and combo’ing off of their throw, dk isnt going to chain combo u to 80% like peach can or pokemon trainer.

Im not to worried recovering against a DK they cant go that deep. As far as heavies go D3 and krool are far more threatening in this area. My main issue with DK is being chain combo’d to death. As bowser i have answers for that but DK seems alittle screwed

What i will say is cheese is when dks throw u against the stage and u die at like 40% but they have to grab u first so its not a freebie.

Last edited:

Monochrome Kirby

Smash Rookie
for me it's either Lucario or Greninja. for Lucario, I'm not good with Lucario ever since Brawl due to how floaty and slow he is but I slightly got better at him in Ultimate but still he's difficult to play as imo. and for Greninja, I just can't use his Aerials properly but at least he has good Smash attacks. coincidentally both of them are my favorite Generation 4 & 6 Pokemon ;.;

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I want to be good with Shulk, I'm good with Pit, Dark Pit, Cloud and Lucario but I can't seem to get the hang of Shulk

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I wanted to be good with Link, but I don't have the time nor the energy to lab out all of his stuff. I don't plan on solo-maining him, and there are characters I've been able to click with much faster whom I find just as fun, so I dropped him from my lineup. I don't want to seriously play a character that I can't use at full capacity.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
for me it's either Lucario or Greninja. for Lucario, I'm not good with Lucario ever since Brawl due to how floaty and slow he is but I slightly got better at him in Ultimate but still he's difficult to play as imo. and for Greninja, I just can't use his Aerials properly but at least he has good Smash attacks. coincidentally both of them are my favorite Generation 4 & 6 Pokemon ;.;
Lucario is a wierd hybrid character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Duck Hunt and DK for me. Even though I have Duck Hunt listed as one of my mains in my signature, I'm really not that good with him compared to all my other mains. There is a lot of tricks with his Specials I haven't yet mastered to it's fullest potential. For DK it's the same reason as S Silask20 . I mastered Bowser, Ganondorf, K. Rool, Ridley, and all of these other heavyweights, but for some reason I'm not use to how DK plays no matter how many times I play as him thus: I suck playing as him.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I'd really like to be good at traditional fighter characters like :ult_terry:, :ultryu:, and :ultken:. Pulling off actual combos other than baby's first combo (dthrow to uair/fair) would be satisfying to me. But I don't really put in the time to learn their inputs since I don't main them.

I'd also like to be good at :ultluigi: because he's a cool character but his moveset just throws me off completely.

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
ZSS and Chrom/Roy for sure. It always feels like I don't know how to hit the brakes with them a lot after playing Marth for so long. Doesn't really feel worth investing time in them either since I do already play a solo viable character. Maybe one day i'll try to juggle Marth and ZSS since I really like Samus.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
For me it may be all smash characters;)
But honestly :ultfalco:
I main:ultfalco: but also play :ultwolf: as secondary, and:ultwolf: feels much easier.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I was once interested in learning Snake, but that character is just a little too big-brain for me. Too much **** to manage, and his awful air game doesn’t do it for me. The fact that he’s pretty stupid in terms of balance also kind of turns me off (ironic considering Joker has become one of my favorites).

I would love to get good with Lucario since they fixed just about all of my grievances with him from Smash 4, but I for the life of me cannot figure him out. I couldn’t even tell you how he’s supposed to be played. He’s not a zoner, he’s too slow to rushdown, not a sword fighter or a grappler, he’s like his own archetype. It’s almost as if he’s playing a different game than the rest of the cast.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
I was once interested in learning Snake, but that character is just a little too big-brain for me. Too much **** to manage, and his awful air game doesn’t do it for me. The fact that he’s pretty stupid in terms of balance also kind of turns me off (ironic considering Joker has become one of my favorites).

I would love to get good with Lucario since they fixed just about all of my grievances with him from Smash 4, but I for the life of me cannot figure him out. I couldn’t even tell you how he’s supposed to be played. He’s not a zoner, he’s too slow to rushdown, not a sword fighter or a grappler, he’s like his own archetype. It’s almost as if he’s playing a different game than the rest of the cast.
Yeah snake is a high cheese but high juggle character. And what i mean by that is he can be really good but u gotta get use to juggling like 3-4 projectiles at once. After mastering that anyone whos not pro tourny ready is probably going to lose to you 100% of the time.

Whereas characters like dk bowser or little mac have no extra tricks up their sleeve they are not a wolf in sheeps clothing u see them coming broad and plainly.

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
I tried to lab out Megaman to get better with his use of projectiles, but I don’t seem to click so well with the character. I’m so used to normal nairs that megaman’s nair feels awkward for me to use. I feel like Megaman has a huge potential if he’s in the right hands, but I can’t seem to work out his projectile game so well. He seems like a fun character to play if you can pull off cool combos, especially ones that end with his shoryuken as the finishing touch. Again, I don’t main the character so I’m not too keen on trying to learn the correct setups/inputs, but I would love to have him as a secondary character.

I already have other characters like Link/Young Link, and Dr. Mario, but Megaman would be a nice addition for my list of secondaries.

Last edited:

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
I tried to lab out Megaman to get better with his use of projectiles, but I don’t seem to click so well with the character. I’m so used to normal nairs that megaman’s nair feels awkward for me to use. I feel like Megaman has a huge potential if he’s in the right hands, but I can’t seem to work out his projectile game so well. He seems like a fun character to play if you can pull off cool combos, especially ones that end with his shoryuken as the finishing touch. Again, I don’t main the character so I’m not too keen on trying to learn the correct setups/inputs, but I would love to have him as a secondary character.

I already have other characters like Link/Young Link, and Dr. Mario, but Megaman would be a nice addition for my list of secondaries.
I hate projectiles but megaman seems to be a well balanced projectile character. Probably why we don’t see enough of them out there.

He does seem like fun with his gadgets and gizmos but ultimately there are better options out there for playstyle. Mii gunner even.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Probably Duck Hunt Duo. I always seem to have great trouble landing normal attacks with them, not to mention the tippers.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Crash Bandicoot.
Make him playable so I can get good at him, damn it!!

Last edited:

King K 4 DrM

Smash Rookie
For me, it's Wario. I'm a heavies main (Krool, DK) and I've had trouble easing into lighter characters, and Wario seemed like a good marriage between heavy and combo gameplays. I've seen all the videos, but Wario is tricky for me because he is very technical.

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
For me its donkey kong. I got bowser down to the letter but DK is for some reason beyond me.
I have trouble with shulk's minato abilities. He's really good, and those abilities give him great versatility, but it would take far too much practice for me to get it down and thats unfortunate.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Falcon. A character I mained at one point in every smash game but this one. I can't stand his movement in this game and Raptor Boost being his main combo starter when it doesn't work properly here just kills it for me.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Duck hunt. Mastering his projectiles demands me buying a switch. Not tryna to do that.

I main Mewtwo and Dark Pit btw.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I got more than a few that could fit the bill...
  • :ultgnw: I loved G&W back in Smash 4, but his moveset changes in Ultimate really don't click with me (which is weird since most people consider him a much better character in this game). I miss old Fair...
  • :ultshulk: Xenoblade is probably my all-time favorite game, and if Shulk's moveset jived with me more, I'd probably main the guy. It's just a shame I can't wrap my head around his gimmicks. Now I only play this guy for fun, and rarely at that.
  • :ultpacman: Like G&W, I really liked this guy in Smash 4, but now I struggle to get the hang of him in Ultimate's more fast-paced meta. It wasn't even the character changes that put me off, I just struggle to formulate a plan with him fast enough to put it into action in this game.
  • :ultmegaman: I'm one of those people who popped off at Mega Man's reveal in Smash 4 and swore to at least play the guy, but then barely touched him once the game came out. His moveset is just too gimmicky and weird for me to get behind; I like weird characters, but not having a true Jab, Nair, or Ftilt is where I draw the line.
  • :ultsnake: Played this guy a lot in Brawl and popped off hard at seeing him come back, but I just can't get behind his slow, campy playstyle. Not much else to say here.
  • :ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer: I actually played these two for a bit in Ultimate and had a bit of fun with them, but I ultimately couldn't stick with either of them due to how weird and inconsistent they felt. I also just don't like campy characters in general, so there's that.
  • :ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff: These four are all lumped together since they were the only characters I recognized when I first played Melee (Pokemon is one of my favorite series, if you couldn't tell), and I wish I was good enough with at least one of them to call them my main in this game. In reality, the only one I'm comfortable enough with to play with any degree of regularity is Mewtwo (and even then, I had to demote him from loyalty main to secondary since realizing that he just doesn't feel good to play in this game).
...and then there's about a dozen other characters that I had a passing interest in, but didn't end up committing to.

Last edited:

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
I got more than a few that could fit the bill...
  • :ultgnw: I loved G&W back in Smash 4, but his moveset changes in Ultimate really don't click with me (which is weird since most people consider him a much better character in this game). I miss old Fair...
  • :ultshulk: Xenoblade is probably my all-time favorite game, and if Shulk's moveset jived with me more, I'd probably main the guy. It's just a shame I can't wrap my head around his gimmicks. Now I only play this guy for fun, and rarely at that.
  • :ultpacman: Like G&W, I really liked this guy in Smash 4, but now I struggle to get the hang of him in Ultimate's more fast-paced meta. It wasn't even the character changes that put me off, I just struggle to formulate a plan with him fast enough to put it into action in this game.
  • :ultmegaman: I'm one of those people who popped off at Mega Man's reveal in Smash 4 and swore to at least play the guy, but then barely touched him once the game came out. His moveset is just too gimmicky and weird for me to get behind; I like weird characters, but not having a true Jab, Nair, or Ftilt is where I draw the line.
  • :ultsnake: Played this guy a lot in Brawl and popped off hard at seeing him come back, but I just can't get behind his slow, campy playstyle. Not much else to say here.
  • :ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer: I actually played these two for a bit in Ultimate and had a bit of fun with them, but I ultimately couldn't stick with either of them due to how weird and inconsistent they felt. I also just don't like campy characters in general, so there's that.
  • :ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff: These four are all lumped together since they were the only characters I recognized when I first played Melee (Pokemon is one of my favorite series, if you couldn't tell), and I wish I was good enough with at least one of them to call them my main in this game. In reality, the only one I'm comfortable enough with to play with any degree of regularity is Mewtwo (and even then, I had to demote him from loyalty main to secondary since realizing that he just doesn't feel good to play in this game).
...and then there's about a dozen other characters that I had a passing interest in, but didn't end up committing to.
Yeah snake is really just all around a boring cheese character in this game. My matches with snakes usually end by sudden death because they’re campy cowards.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
For me it's Sonic. I love the series and as it doesn't seem likely Eggman or anyone else from Sonic is likely this pass, I wanted to main Sonic really badly. He's just a really lame character, and whenever I try to not be lame with him I lose. Do what you need to win Sonic mains, I just don't see the fun in Sonic.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Marth
I have literally never been good at Marth, and I also suck at his 3 clones (Roy, Lucina, and Chrom). However, despite having way more playtime than Roy, Lucina, and Chrom combined I am still better at them then I am at Marth. I'm not exaggerating when I say if you saw me play only Marth, you'd think I was a new player. I wanna be good with Marth so I don't have any particularity bad characters, I want to eventually be at least mediocre at literally every character.

Cam_Batant

Smash Apprentice
That is a hard task, being at least mediocre with every character, that not many have acomplished good luck. I mean that in a good way. try your best you will eventually succeed.

Top Bottom