• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Challenger Approaches: Episode 4

Challenger_Bigger.jpg

I’ve recently had an abundance of time to reflect on my past four months of travel across the USA. I left New Jersey to experience the grandeur of America’s wilderness, meet its people through Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and share my experiences along the way. So far, I have written about the stories of Justin and his snake, Ruby; Ed, the Australian English teacher who teaches in Vietnam; and Lucas a.k.a. "Thirdkoopa", Smashboards' own Content Manager. These are all interesting perspectives to take, but these are only three stores I’ve released over three months of my travels. That’s a whole lot of traveling and not a whole lot of Super Smash Bros. In the future, expect more challenges, and stories, more often.

The reason I didn’t challenge as many people as expected is I have been too focused on the competitive aspect of this series. “The Challenger” title has gotten to my head! Instead of using the game as a way to interact with different people, I based potential interviews on “Smash skill.” I should have adjusted my priorities sooner, because I’ve realized that I had deviated from one of my goals: to share different perspectives from my travels.

I think we can all learn from this lesson though. It takes many hours of practice and dedication to get good at any Smash game. It’s easy to set aside other goals and interests for Smash because it’s really enjoyable to play. Sometimes it’s not beneficial for us to do that though. I did that and spent less time on this series because of it. The drive for competition led me away from my real goals.

With that said, I don’t think I’d be here writing for Smashboards if I didn’t have a drive to compete in Smash. After all, I first came to this website looking for local tournaments.

The drive for competition also led me to my next opponent of the series: Brandon Buchanan a.k.a. Thunder! I met Brandon on a Smash Ultimate Discord server not long after the game was released because I was looking for a sparring partner. After many close Ganondorf - Wolf and Ganondorf - ZSS match-ups, he and I became friends. I told Brandon that I was going on this adventure across America, and he said he wanted to play me in person. Small chance I was going to pass up that challenge!

In the previous episode, I wrote from Washington, which is a long way away from Brandon’s home state, Michigan. A significant amount of time passed between these interviews, and I visited many more places between Washington and Michigan. I spent time in Oregon and backpacked for a few weeks in the mountains of California.

View from Pika Pass, Mammoth Lakes, California.

I then drove through the Arizona desert, stopping in Sedona and Grand Canyon National Park. From there, I traveled north and explored the Martian-like landscapes of Utah.

IMG_20190921_190440.jpg

Glenn Canyon Recreation Area Overlooking Oljato-Monument Valley, Utah.

I then made my way through Colorado, which I had perfectly timed for viewing peak autumn foliage. It was truly spectacular. In interest of keeping the article short, I left out many photos from these adventures. If you're interested in seeing more photography like this, read more about it at the end of the article!

DSCF5614 copy.jpg

The yellow Aspen trees of Twin Lakes, Colorado.

After Colorado, I made a bee-line for Michigan — Ann Arbor to be specific.

In Ann Arbor, I met up with Brandon, who's working towards a PhD in Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Michigan. I was quite curious to hear about Brandon’s life in Michigan. Luckily, he enlightened me during my time with him!

DSCF5853 copy.jpg

Brandon lining up a shot at the local pool hall.

Luke "The Challenger" Hayduk: I've heard good and bad things about Michigan, but I don't know much. What are some things that surprises you about this state?

Brandon "Thunder" Buchanan: First of all, I was surprised to see the dichotomy between the bigger cities and smaller cities. Where I’m originally from is rural. Interesting to see such large cities right next to rural areas. Next, I was surprised how diverse of an ecosystem Michigan has. From here, it’s not too far to drive to beautiful beaches on Lake Michigan,

Grand Haven Beach.jpeg

Grand Haven Beach. Photo by Brandon B.

If you drive quite a bit farther, you can see huge sand dunes in the northern part of the state.

Sleeping Bear-2small.jpg

View from Sleeping Bear Dunes, Michigan. Photo by Brandon B.

If you continue North, you can visit the upper peninsula to hang out on huge rock bluffs overlooking Lake Superior.

Pictured Rocks.jpg

“Chapel Rock” at Pictured Rocks National Seashore, Michigan. Photo by Brandon B.

miners rock.jpg

Miner’s Castle, also at Pictured Rocks National Seashore, Michigan. Photo by Brandon B.

Finally, more specifically, Mackinac Island was really surprising, because it’s one of the only places in the US that does not permit vehicles. Only horse drawn carriages and bicycles. They have to use a ferry to get all of their supplies, too. Gives the island an old-timely feel.

Mackinak Island.jpg

A horse-drawn carriage in front of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan. Photo by Brandon B.

Luke "The Challenger" Hayduk: How do you like the University of Michigan?

Brandon "Thunder" Buchanan: I think the student population is really great and diverse. I like the amount of research opportunities the school offers, and in addition, the different types of research projects you can get involved in. I think the research advisors here are all great at what they do. Additionally, the research facilities here are world-class too.

Luke "The Challenger" Hayduk: What research topics are you looking at specifically to get your PhD?

Brandon "Thunder" Buchanan: Magnetic Semiconductors for Spintronic and Thermoelectric Applications. Our group is called LEEEM, Laboratory for Emerging Energy and Electronic Materials. We work on thermoelectrics, photovoltaics, and spintronic materials.

My research groups here are well funded, so we have most of the equipment we need. My lab does mostly thermoelectric materials testing. We can measure electrical conductivity, Seebeck coefficient, heat capacity, and thermal diffusivity, which are all of the characteristics that determine what a good thermoelectric material is.

Luke "The Challenger" Hayduk: My understanding of a thermoelectric material is something that directly converts temperature differences to electric voltage. Is that correct?

Brandon "Thunder" Buchanan: Yes, you have it correct.

Luke "The Challenger" Hayduk: Are you going to figure out how to turn waste heat in our everyday lives into electricity?

Brandon "Thunder" Buchanan: The answer to that question technically is yes, but our lab doesn’t make the devices to do that. We do materials development, so that people may use those materials to invent thermoelectric devices.

Luke "The Challenger" Hayduk: Are there any useful thermoelectric devices that exist now? What does the future of thermoelectric devices look like?

Brandon "Thunder" Buchanan: One futuristic invention that I'm looking forward to seeing is weaving a thermoelectric fiber into your clothing that would capture your body heat and recharge whatever device you want. One existing device is a thermoelectric generator, which converts heat from a fireplace or campfire into electricity.

Luke "The Challenger" Hayduk: Well that’s important work you’re doing then. I’m looking forward to our future tech!

Luke "The Challenger" Hayduk: I know you’ve always been a big fan of Smash though. What’s your history with the game?

Brandon "Thunder" Buchanan: In the past, I loved Melee. It’s probably my favorite Smash still. We had a setup in our physics lounge in undergrad. Playing Smash with my peers while doing homework are some of my best memories. Also, in my fraternity, we would do many mini Smash tourneys on some nights. I’m very thankful for those times.

Luke "The Challenger" Hayduk: I’ve had a similar experience with my friends in a college gaming lounge! Good times… What’s your opinion of Ultimate though?

Brandon "Thunder" Buchanan: I think it’s, by far, the most balanced of all Smash games. I don’t think there’s any character that stands head above any others. Brawl has Meta Knight. Melee kiiinda has Fox.

Wii U has Bayonetta. Ultimate doesn’t really have “that character.” There’s no clear #1. Recently, Brood almost won a major tournament in Japan with Piranha Plant. Just goes to show that characters that are generally regarded as low tier has the chance to beat someone in the right hands.

I’m not a fan of online Smash. I think Nintendo Online is pretty awful to be honest. Considering its one of the “Big 3” Gaming companies, I don’t know how their online isn’t better. Dedicated servers would help their issues. Local Smash is very fun though. Battle Arenas over discord are also very fun too. Love that.

Also generally, I love how diverse of a cast of characters the game has. I love all the different matchups you can have and think about. It helps with the parity of the game.

I guess one thing that I do really enjoy, I almost enjoy watching more than playing. I love watching good players like MkLeo and Zero on Twitch and YouTube. Tweek and Marrs are really enjoyable to watch too.

Luke "The Challenger" Hayduk: The Battle Arenas saved us! That’s how we met! I can’t agree with you more about the online services. They definitely need an upgrade. So, Thunder, are you ready for a challenge?

Brandon "Thunder" Buchanan: Let’s do it!

Video of the battle!
A Challenger Approaches Episode 4: The Challenger v. Thunder!

We’re gonna keep this match commentary short and simple. In game 1, I flew out the gate— check out my “0 to Death” at the beginning of the match. ;) Despite going down a stock very quickly, Thunder came back to beat me. I truly did my best. He just played better than me.

In game 2, Thunder flew out the gates with his own 0 to Death. It was a beautiful demonstration of Smash skill, although Thunder says he could have rolled less and teched more efficiently. He clearly dominated in the match, displaying all of Joker’s tricks. Again, he was victorious, closing out the match 2-0.

Embarrassingly for me, I was shut out. I guess I could have seen it coming. Joker is probably Ganondorf’s most difficult matchup, but that’s open for debate. No Johns, though. Thunder beat me fair and squre. Good games! His Joker was well-practiced, and his skills have grown immensely.

Playing against Brandon confirmed the lesson above. I was focusing too much on the competitive aspect of Super Smash Bros. I thought I was hot stuff, but after coming back to reality, I realized what I must do going forward! I must challenge more people and find ways to make fights equally challenging for everyone!

Additionally, Brandon also taught us a tiny bit about life in Michigan and his studies at the Laboratory for Emerging Energy and Electronic Materials! I am now filled with dreams of future technologies littered with thermoelectric and spintronic applications! It all sounds potentially very beneficial to society!

Finally, I didn't expect Michigan to have much going for it in terms of natural beauty (sorry), but I was terribly mistaken. The photos that Brandon shared with us show the complete and utter beauty of the Great Lakes and the surrounding environment. Brandon didn’t mention this, but sometimes you can catch the Northern Lights in Michigan too. I hope to make it up to the “Upper Peninsula” someday to see the lights!

If you enjoy the photography in this series, and you want to see more, I’d love it if you checked out my Instagram page @LukasHaydukas, or my personal blog, panboys.net.

Catch you next time from T H A I L A N D !

Last edited:
Luke Hayduk

Comments

Top Bottom