• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Breath of fresh air - Link Smash Switch speculation thread

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm interested to see what they're going to do to him.

I do like both the BotW and TP designs, so I hope they'd have full alternate costumes and not just palette swaps for him. (And a good Fierce Deity like from HW)

Regarding gameplay, I'm still a bit annoyed that BotW took away his left-handedness, and I liked that Smash has so far kept it. I really hope they keep most of his moveset the same (including the amazing new jump attack from Sm4sh - why hasn't that been in until now?), but maybe with the return of the illusion stab combo from Melee. It'd be easy enough to convert the bomb special to the BotW style (or different bomb art based on costume style?), and the rest of the specials have use in BotW as well.

Honestly, what I hope they do the most is declone OTHER Link a bit more and give that one new specials. Still, happy that one of my favorites is confirmed (as if he wouldn't be though)

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
It's a damn fool's dream, but is it too much to hope for a *new* Link to reflect upon his new BotW style? Toon Link was always better with the movelist than normal Link was, so maybe it's time to have something mechanically different. Instead of a Hookshot? Magnesis. Instead of Spin Attack? Revali's Gale and Paraglider. Instead of normal bombs? Bomb Rune that you can remotely detonate, or perhaps a Bayonetta like B dodge that can go into a Flurry Rush.

Even his Final Smash could be drastically different, summoning all four Divine Beasts to WTF-stomp whatever unlucky Smasher has the misfortune to be caught in it. There's *so* many new things they could do with BotW Link. Even his Smash Attacks could change; instead of the usual boring two hit, how about he pulls out an Ancient Axe and just cleaves hard in front of him? Or his Down Smash is the Greatsword spin?

Damn, there's all sorts of potential in a BotW based Link!

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I just want crit arrow shots, and shield parries.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I like how Link plays so I hope any changes aren't too drastic

I also hope he still has his Green Tunic, I don't like its seemingly getting forgotten

Morbi

Scavenger
I am actually a bit concerned now that he is not in his traditional tunic, the palette swaps are going to be bad, most likely. I will miss my purple. As for game-play, I hope they just add quality of life improvements such as the remote bomb or a glide feature, maybe improve his aerial control with the bow. I do not want his actual play-style to be changed now that I can finally play him again (I dropped him once Sakurai decided to bathe him in acid).

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Honestly, I am interested in seeing a much larger departure from Link's typical Smash playstyle and varying things up a lot because of BotW Link's differences from past Link's. We've had roughly the same playstyle for Link these last 4 games (5 if you count 3DS as separate) so I honestly feel it's time we changed things up a bit.

Right off the bat, if he keeps the boomerang, it'll no longer be the Gale Boomerang. But honestly, does he still need the boomerang? Or can we replace it with one of the many other weapons from BotW? Perhaps he uses one of the different rods? Maybe he temporarily induces Stasis on an enemy in range? What if he chucks a weapon? What about the Sword Beam, the oldest of Link's abilities other than "stab" that also makes an appearance in BotW?

There's so much potential with what he can do now that I'd be kind of disappointed if they tried to keep him exactly the same. I mean, they already have to go out of their way to animate him as a right-hander and with completely different items (like the Rune Bombs, and lack of hook/clawshot), why not give him new animations to boast about? Like, give him back his rapid jab that he had in 64 and Melee, but have him whip out a spear to perform it. When the jab uses the finisher, the spear could shatter like in BotW and launch the foe.

There's so much he could do, I don't want that sort of potential to be wasted on playing it too safe.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Right off the bat, if he keeps the boomerang, it'll no longer be the Gale Boomerang. But honestly, does he still need the boomerang? Or can we replace it with one of the many other weapons from BotW? Perhaps he uses one of the different rods? Maybe he temporarily induces Stasis on an enemy in range? What if he chucks a weapon? What about the Sword Beam, the oldest of Link's abilities other than "stab" that also makes an appearance in BotW?

There's so much potential with what he can do now that I'd be kind of disappointed if they tried to keep him exactly the same. I mean, they already have to go out of their way to animate him as a right-hander and with completely different items (like the Rune Bombs, and lack of hook/clawshot), why not give him new animations to boast about? Like, give him back his rapid jab that he had in 64 and Melee, but have him whip out a spear to perform it. When the jab uses the finisher, the spear could shatter like in BotW and launch the foe.

There's so much he could do, I don't want that sort of potential to be wasted on playing it too safe.
Ok the spear idea is brilliant. I’ve never been big on the boomerang since that boomerang really hasn’t been relevant since the first dungeon of twilight princess. I really think that would be awesome if you could come out with the side special that was just a multi jab spear, and have it break and they go flying. That is cool! Bombs would be a no brainer to switch, bow is still relevant, but I would really miss the spin attack. Leave a jump and paraglide to Toon link’s deku leaf.

Or, you know, just actually make different special for the custom movesets...

As a lefty, I would be really disappointed if they redo his entire moves that based on the right-hand side. However the silhouette in the trailer definitely shows the righty Link. But the thing that really annoy me the most would be if they redid every single one of Link’s moves and then left the Dorf as a Falcon clone.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'll be honest, the possibility of a major moveset revamp for Link scares me.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Aa much as I hate one character having multiple slots, this may be an acceptable case. The four powers from BotW translate so well to smash specials (neutral would be a Daruk reflector, down a Mipha healing move, side Urbosa’s fury and up Revali gale), but Link has a defined moveset from the three previous Smashes.

Or hey, bring on the custom specials that are more than just ‘same thing but bigger and slower’

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Aa much as I hate one character having multiple slots, this may be an acceptable case. The four powers from BotW translate so well to smash specials (neutral would be a Daruk reflector, down a Mipha healing move, side Urbosa’s fury and up Revali gale), but Link has a defined moveset from the three previous Smashes.

Or hey, bring on the custom specials that are more than just ‘same thing but bigger and slower’
I hear that. I'm not a fan of multiple Links (or anyone), but I don't wanna lose current Link. If BotW Link becomes a thing, I really hope there's a classic Link somewhere in there.

Customs seems like the right solution here, but I honestly felt they overcomplicated things last time.

Last edited:

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
Im sick of the twilight princess designs and that was imo the worst 3d Zelda, so I'm happy, I too hope Zelda characters, besides shiek and toon link get an overhaul in moveset. bombs changed to remote bombs, get rid of the boomerang, keep the bow , revali's Gail recovery magnises grab

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I'm debating with myself over whether we could see SSB4 character artworks recycled for SSBS, which I think is a possibility because it would mean Nintendo wouldn't have to redesign an entire Smash amiibo line (they could simply reprint the old ones with an updated packaging), and the artstyle of the teaser with the Inklings doesn't seem to derivate much from that of SSB4 CGI trailers, meaning SSBS's artstyle would be very similar to that of SSBU. But BotW Link's right-handedness seems to go against that hypothesis because if BotW Link is an alternate costume, then it goes against Link's SSB4 artwork which is left-handed. Since alternate costumes aren't supposed to have gameplay differences, I wonder whether it's possible to change a character's dominant hand without changing anything about hitboxes (from either the character's own weapon or picked up items). That's the only way I could imagine both keeping the left-handed current adult Link and having the right-handed BotW Link as an alt.

SSB4 Link also has two items Link doesn't have access to in BotW, the gale boomerang and the clawshot. The former could be replaced with another kind of boomerang, but it would make adult Link more similar to Toon Link which isn't derisable. So we either accept to see BotW Link to use the gale boomerang which is a weapon not in BotW, or we could replace the boomerang altogether with something like a magical rod. That would lead to another problem in TP-based Link to use an item not in TP, but at the same time since the green tunic has been the default appearance in every game other than BotW then we might consider green tunic Link to be a more composite character than BotW Link. For the clawshot, however, I have no idea for a good substitute. You can't derivate from its grabbing role (unlike the specials which can do whatever you want them to do) and it has important unique properties like ranged grab and tether recovery. I feel like if BotW Link is an alt for green tunic adult Link, then he'll have no choice but to use the clawshot, in spite of not having it in the source game.

For other aesthetic changes which would pose no gameplay problem, I think the bombs would be replaced by the blue ones from BotW, although this would imply sacrifying their remote ability from the source game. I could also see the Final Smash being changed when in BotW costume, with the target being immobilized with statis and then slashed to death instead of Triforce Slash, while functionally remaining the same Final Smash gameplay-wise.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I hope that using arrows in the air will keep Link in the same place, allowing for Link to have pinpoint aiming in the air. So Link’s bow isn’t only a horizontal projectile, but at every which angle Link could dream of. That would be awesome, and potentially fix some of the problems that Link has.

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
All I wonder is, since this will be BotW Link, could they replace his bombs with remote ones nya? And with the paraglider possibly becoming his recovery... could Link become the next snake!? :nifty:Shoot me

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
All I wonder is, since this will be BotW Link, could they replace his bombs with remote ones nya? And with the paraglider possibly becoming his recovery... could Link become the next snake!? :nifty:Shoot me
*loads rifle*

If Link had remote control bombs, the way I see it working is he can no longer pull out 2 bombs, but the next time you press down-special the bomb goes off... Just like Snake as you mentioned. Hopefully the bombs also blow up when they hit their targets. Hopefully they keep the change from Sm4sh where his bombs don't hurt him if they blow up on an opponent.

Remote control bombs would actually change a lot about Link. His recovery would be insane, and not to mention stage control and bomb pressure. However, as a side effect he would lose some of that combo breaking potential. Unless the remote detonation was independent of Link's freedom to perform an action, e.g. Snake has to say "Now!" and hit the C4 detonator to make it explode. (However, in BotW you can detonate bombs freely. Would they bring that over?)

Is it wrong that I want this?

Agecaf

Smash Rookie
Here's an idea (maybe not a good one, but...) A big mechanic in BOTW are the weapons, and how they get destroyed. So maybe have Link's normals change depending on the weapon he has? (I mean, if Ryu can get different normals from simply pressing the buttons differently...) And maybe have his down B be a (random?) weapon swap (a bit like Peach when she could draw swords), and a bit like Robin have his weapons wear down. Then his side B could maybe be a weapon throw, and boomerangs/bombs being one of the possible weapons instead of one of his specials (I mean those items exist separately already)?

Another idea; when Link's moveset was first designed, there were no "up Bs from which you can act out of" and no windboxes. As mentioned before, paraglider+Revali's Gale would make an awesome move that could be acted out of, and would include a windbox (to let friendly characters recover maybe?)...

As a last idea, maybe have the arrow shot slightly angled downward when jumping, a bit like it is used often in BOTW (arrows in bullet time after paraglider!).

And as a silly idea for a final smash... What about Lynel Bow (x5) + bomb arrows?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I'm hoping for a revamped Link for Smash 5(6). As others have mentioned, he does not really have access to the boomerang or hookshot anymore, so those two moves at least will be seeing a rework. However, I think is whole moveset could be revamped.

The Revali's Gale up-b special is one that I have seen thrown around and makes sense and he will probably retain bombs, well remote bombs in this case, as his down-b. His side-b could very well be something like throwing his currently equipped weapon or something and then incorporate breakable weapons into his movies so he can get swords, spears and even elemental rods. These could be used in his jabs and standard b-special. His smash attacks could incorporate the champion abilities, with Urbosa's fury for example, being his up-smash and could be where the spin attack comes back.

Just some ideas, but I would be 100% on board with a new Link as to me the current one is a bit boring and stale and represented fine through Toon Link.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I've really enjoyed his current moveset with the fencing and the clawshot grab combos, even though it's hard to win with and any boomerang that doesn't strike on the way back is just a stick. But I'm really hoping for a new moveset, since Toon has the existing one mostly covered.

I've always thought that his spin attack should be his down smash, since the purpose of down smashes has always been to strike both sides of you.

Aim-able arrows from midair pause or we riot.

Paraglider seems a better side-b since it goes sideways not upwards. But whatever.

Wall-stick like Lucario if not outright climbing because obviously.

Down-b is his most powerful ability, of course: cooking! (Seriously. Start a campfire, wait, eat food buff. Like Villager --> WiiFit. Ok I'll leave now.)

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So this isn't the BotW stuff everyone wants, but I would love it for his Boomerang to be able to interrupt his grab. So for example, he gets a grab, boomerang comes back and hits opponent, Link drops the grab and can follow up with whatever he wants. Not as sexy as a new move, but there's tons of potential kill setups with that.

PF9

Smash Lord
I think the Zelda games have big potential as movie adaptations. Given the epic scope of each game, the movie versions could likewise be big budget epics. I'd ideally release them in December to help their Oscar chances. The day a video game adaptation wins big at the Oscars the gaming community will be in a frenzy.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
There are a couple things I'm predicting will happen with BotW Link and whoever is this Smash title's Child Link:

1) BotW Link (AKA this Smash title's Adult Link) will have a completely revamped moveset with specials inspired by Sheikah Slate runes.

2) Child Link will have a more traditional moveset similar to either :younglinkmelee: or :4tlink:. I feel we've seen Wind Waker Link representing Child Link for too long, so I hope we get a different one this game.

I'm fully embracing Link's new BotW design not only because he wears my favorite color, but because it'll make playing him and learning him in this Smash title all the more refreshing. Link's moveset has been pretty predictable the past 4 games, but seeing his new design in the trailer gets me excited for him to be reintroduced as a new character with new moves.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Spent some time writting this up and after doing some digging I found this thread so I'll go ahead and share this...some speculation on possible changes for Link going into Smash Switch...

:4link:
Lots to talk about here!
-Most likely change from Smash 4 would be the removal of the Gale Boomerang, unless customs come back, then it'll possibly be one of the options, but I can see the normal boomerang being set as the default again...The Gale definitely has it's uses, it can help prolong combos and strings as well as be used for gimping in certain situations and at times can help Link get out of combos, but generally it's used for spacing and option coverage, to which most of the time the wind box isn't really needed at all...beyond it's few uses the wind box is more of a gimmick and the opponents at times can use it against Link...

-Clawshot? Now BotW Link doesn't have any sort of grappling weapon in the game (which was a huge wasted opportunity) but that doesn't necessarily mean Smash BotW Link won't have it, at the end of the day both Link and Zelda regardless which games they are based off of, represent the Zelda franchise and both are composite characters in some form or another...and the Clawshot/Hookshot is one of the most iconic items in the Zelda series...I have heard people throw around the idea of replacing it with Magnesis to use magnetism to grapple and tether instead, to which I feel it would mostly be just and aesthetic change but one that would suite BotW a lot better, but also helps to incorporate the Sheikah slate into his moveset at least...

-Bombs, they will stay for sure but I could definitely see them incorporating the new bomb Runes into Link's moveset, but instead of simply going off after a set time, Link can detonate them (similar to Snake's C4's)...perhaps they can still go off after 4 seconds as well...I feel this would be a very beneficial change to Link as well as not only would it make the bombs more dangerous for the oponents, but it would be a huge boost to Link's recovery since bombs allow Link to use his Up B a second time but if given the ability to detonate it would allow Link to use it to live longer without hoping they go off before he dies...and just like in the game they would more than likely require some cooldown time so that he wouldn't have infinite uses off stage...in addition perhaps the spheres and cubic bombs could be RNG dependent, cubes just sort of land where they land and spheres can roll along the stage until they fall off or go boom...

-Up B...it's very possible that Link could keep his Spin Attack as it is still very prominently featured in BotW...I just hope if he keeps it they make his grounded Spin attack either just a single swing like in the games, or actually have a lingering hitbox and not make the spinning sword useless if it's blocked...now spin attack aside, another useful move for recovery could be of course Ravioli's Gale, and have him Hanglide afterward...So in other words it would be similar to Snake's Cypher (man Link may as well be the new Snake) except with an upwards lifting windbox...perhaps the whirlwind can stay for a few seconds and could send other players into a slight tumble animation as they get lifted upwards...of course Link can use an aerial out of it...

-Return of the Illusion stab, he hasn't had his rapid jab since melee, why it was removed is beyond me not like it was broken in Melee or anything, but BotW Link not only has Furry Rush to justify it's speed but also his charged spear attack is basically the illusion stab...he still retains his 1-2-3 jab but I feel he may once again attain his illusion stab...

-Final Smash-Triforce Slash may remain, but perhaps with an aesthetic change...A Stasis+Flurry Rush combo, would literally be the exact same as the Triforce Slash but as he's wailing on the opponent a red arrow is shown pointing in which ever direction Link is facing then after the final hit and stasis wears off the opponent is now send flying...perhaps while Link is going ham, the player can manipulate what position Link is in so that he can make the most of his positioning and launch...

-Link's shield...these could make for interesting additions...perhaps if timed correctly when a projectile hits Link's shield you press L/R he deflects it back at the opponent...strict timing just like in BotW but worth it if you do get the timing...giving Link not only a way to block projectiles but a frikkin reflector can really make the opponent respect him more...another thing that could be cool is allowing Link to shield surf after pressing L/R+A at the same time and he either hops on his shield or flips forward when in the air (giving him some horizontal recovery) and of course if there's a slope, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

-As for the rest of Link's moveset...I don't see the need for many changes (except for some balancing tweeks) BotW Link seems to be the most proficient of a fighter compared to the rest of the Links in the series given he's a trained royal Knight as opposed to some random 10 yo, or shepard, or blasksmith, etc...I wouldn't be surprised if he straight up has A LOT better frame data on his attacks such as his Fair for example, perhaps even changed to a triple hitting move, for example...Dsmash and Usmash could be faster as well, but with that said...he may not pack as much of a punch compared to TP Link who made a living wrestling Ordon Goats...oh and he can do this...

Holy **** how heavy is Dangoron? He must be at least 1000lbs and Link just tosses him aside like he's an inconvenience... I mean Iron boots just make you heavier, it doesn't make you frikkin Superman!
Yeah anyways I feel Link may be a bit weaker in the new Smash, compared to previous entries but he'll probably be a lot faster and more efficient with his swordplay...

Unless he's just a skin and there'll be no changes whatsoever, which would be somewhat dissapointing, but given how big of a game BotW was, is and will be years down the line and how much it changed the Zelda formula, Link may get a lot of attention in this new iteration of Smash...As a Link main since Smash 64, I'm both excited and nervous about what changes may or may not happen...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Older post before BotW Link was revealed.

Wooohoo! I choose you: Breath of the Wild Link!

• Upgrades from Moblin Club to weapons with better range and attack as Link lands hits. His previous weapon will shatter after accumulating enough whacks.

• Magnesis ability that can move an underground metal chest back and forth along the ground to pop opponents skyward. Chest explodes out of the earth and opens to reveal the best weapon BotW Link can have in battle. He must collect it in order for usage. Any BotW Link can collect it.

• Stamina wheel side B that allows Link to run extra fast, scale walls and glide.

• Lord of the Mountain mount that Link can fire arrows off while running along the field

• Down Smash that makes a campfire. Size of fire depends on charge. Creates updrafts that gliding Link can ride.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
For alternative costumes, BotW Link, if he's gameplay-wise the same character as good old Smash Link, will probably have alts on his own, similar to how Wireframe Little Mac has his own set of costumes. But even with the wide variety of outfits in BotW, I don't have huge expectations beyond recolors; these might be reference other outfits from BotW but I'm not expecting them to be changes of the actual model (like how SSB4 Link has an alt representing his starting clothes from SS but only its colors and not the actual outfit).

But what if there's one token exception like Shulk? Maybe you're expecting Link to have an underwear joke costume like Shulk this time? Well, he probably won't, because asides from being redundant, there's an even better opportunity at giving Link a joke costume... (BotW spoiler)
:troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
For alternative costumes, BotW Link, if he's gameplay-wise the same character as good old Smash Link, will probably have alts on his own, similar to how Wireframe Little Mac has his own set of costumes. But even with the wide variety of outfits in BotW, I don't have huge expectations beyond recolors; these might be reference other outfits from BotW but I'm not expecting them to be changes of the actual model (like how SSB4 Link has an alt representing his starting clothes from SS but only its colors and not the actual outfit).

But what if there's one token exception like Shulk? Maybe you're expecting Link to have an underwear joke costume like Shulk this time? Well, he probably won't, because asides from being redundant, there's an even better opportunity at giving Link a joke costume... (BotW spoiler)
:troll:
Not even a joke, that is probably the most popular costume in the game. I just doubt it for some reason. Sakurai is more into over-sexualizing the ladies.

D

Deleted member

I think Link (and Zelda) will get substantial overhauls, mainly to special moves but also to a few normals in Link's case. He'll probably have the Champion Abilities as specials, and Zelda would use the Sheikah Slate functions. There isn't a good way to incorporate the slow-time arrow shot into the moveset, so I can see a Dragoon clone Final Smash using Guardian Arrows.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I keep thinking about it, and I really hope they don't change much. I like Link the way he is, so I don't want to see too many changes. The ones I would make:
  • Replace bombs with the remote bombs, and make a second activation explode it. The activation can be performed instantly to avoid problems with lagginess. Bonus points for the bombs having good rolling physics.
  • Remove boomerang. It's outdated. I do like the idea from NintendoKnight NintendoKnight for him to pull a spear and do a multi-jab, which hits a few times and shatters, launching the enemy
  • Allow aerial bow to slow descent and possibly make it aimable, at the expense of it putting him in free fall afterwards or after a few seconds
  • Change Toon Link's Final Smash so Link can have his own. I just think Triforce Slash is awesome. The one I would take instead would involve a quick cutscene of the champions aiming and firing the divine beasts, like that incredible scene from the game before fighting Calamity. Assuming that none of the champions end up playable.
  • Add wall-cling ability for Link
I would like to see recolors of both the BotW tunic and the standard. I hope the Fierce Deity and Dark Link recolors come back (but make the FD tunic white and awesome like it was in HW, not blue). I like alternate mesh costumes, but Smash works so well with straight palette swaps, so I'm on the fence about others. If I went all in for alternate costumes, I'd also do the Magic armor from TP, the Zora armor from BotW, and the Trainee outfit from HW. And you know at least one person wants naked Link to fight as well :laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gale Boomerang is gone, that's a given. Which is great cause the weapon was never all that iconic anyway.

I do think that his moveset will be more or less the same as before however.

B: Will definitely be the Bow. And most likely it'll have aerial properties this time. And it might have some slight auto-tracking properties from the air even. Am not sure if they are gonna use regular arrows or other forms or a randomised arrow any time you pull the Bow.

Side B: Giant Boomerang? Link throws his Giant Boomerang in a BOTW fashion. Strong knockback and damage.

Down B: Remote Bombs: Bombs with more damage and knockback probably

Up B: Well if this isn't the damn Spin Attack I'll go mad... Spin Attack is just TOO iconic to be cut from Link's moveset entirely. If nothing else, Spin Attack should be a Down Smash or something if Up B is gonna be Revali's Glade for example.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Gale Boomerang is gone, that's a given. Which is great cause the weapon was never all that iconic anyway.

I do think that his moveset will be more or less the same as before however.

B: Will definitely be the Bow. And most likely it'll have aerial properties this time. And it might have some slight auto-tracking properties from the air even. Am not sure if they are gonna use regular arrows or other forms or a randomised arrow any time you pull the Bow.

Side B: Giant Boomerang? Link throws his Giant Boomerang in a BOTW fashion. Strong knockback and damage.

Down B: Remote Bombs: Bombs with more damage and knockback probably

Up B: Well if this isn't the damn Spin Attack I'll go mad... Spin Attack is just TOO iconic to be cut from Link's moveset entirely. If nothing else, Spin Attack should be a Down Smash or something if Up B is gonna be Revali's Glade for example.
Yes.

I’m okay with almost anything for a new sideB since I never really used that stupid boomerang. But my whole gameplay revolves around the spin attack, so I don’t care what not-Falco wants, upB needs to stay.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Honestly, I really hope the BotW outfit is just a bonus costume like Little Mac' Hoodie or Shulk's underwear. I prefer big Link to Toon/Young Link and would rather he not change too much at all. I'm not against BotW content, I just hope that it doesn't overtake more traditional Zelda elements.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
The only things I'm really expecting is changes to the clawshot, and maybe to the side B and down B. Ultimately, I doubt they're gonna do a major rework of the character, just an update to better justify his new look, like they did when they gave him the Gale Boomerang back in Brawl.

I doubt anyone would disagree that his standard A moves still make perfect sense. He still uses the same weapon, so there's really nothing to adjust there unless it was something they wanted to change anyway (like they did with the dash attack in Sm4sh), but I'm not expecting to see anything BotW-specific on his standard moves.

Down and side B's can still work within the BotW aesthetic. Obviously, bombs need a visual update, and they'd need to turn the Gale Boomerang back into a regular boomerang. Or maybe even use a new kind of boomerang entirely, I could totally see them use the Giant Boomerang for a slower, stronger projectile. Would be new, and it would still keep the move different from Toon Link, assuming he's also returning.

The real question is whether or not they're gonna make bombs work differently. It's already happened before with the Gale Boomerang, so why not? Having to manually detonate bombs would already by itself be a massive change to Link's playstyle. Another possibility is playing around with the idea of having square and round bombs. Like, he could go all Peach and pull one or the other randomly and they could have different properties. Squares stay in place when thrown, rounds roll out for a while and might even fall off the stage. Or they could work like Samus's missiles, where you get a different bomb depending on smashing or tilting down+B. In the end they'd deal the same damage, just like in Breath of the Wild, the difference would be in how they move. Combining this with self-detonated bombs would turn Link's down+B into a ridiculously strategic move, I think it'd be pretty fun to see!

I totally support replacing the clawshot by magnesis too, but considering the change would probably only be visual, there's really not much to talk about. Unless they make it Link's new side B or something.

Also, on the up+B.

They're not gonna change the Spin-Attack, come on. I know, Revali's Gale is a thing now. But really, the Spin-Attack is by far Link's most iconic sword move. It's appeared in every single main-series Zelda game since A Link to the Past and it's still as relevant in Breath of the Wild as it's always been as one of the main combat options. It's not gonna go anywhere.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The only things I'm really expecting is changes to the clawshot, and maybe to the side B and down B. Ultimately, I doubt they're gonna do a major rework of the character, just an update to better justify his new look, like they did when they gave him the Gale Boomerang back in Brawl.

I doubt anyone would disagree that his standard A moves still make perfect sense. He still uses the same weapon, so there's really nothing to adjust there unless it was something they wanted to change anyway (like they did with the dash attack in Sm4sh), but I'm not expecting to see anything BotW-specific on his standard moves.

Down and side B's can still work within the BotW aesthetic. Obviously, bombs need a visual update, and they'd need to turn the Gale Boomerang back into a regular boomerang. Or maybe even use a new kind of boomerang entirely, I could totally see them use the Giant Boomerang for a slower, stronger projectile. Would be new, and it would still keep the move different from Toon Link, assuming he's also returning.

The real question is whether or not they're gonna make bombs work differently. It's already happened before with the Gale Boomerang, so why not? Having to manually detonate bombs would already by itself be a massive change to Link's playstyle. Another possibility is playing around with the idea of having square and round bombs. Like, he could go all Peach and pull one or the other randomly and they could have different properties. Squares stay in place when thrown, rounds roll out for a while and might even fall off the stage. Or they could work like Samus's missiles, where you get a different bomb depending on smashing or tilting down+B. In the end they'd deal the same damage, just like in Breath of the Wild, the difference would be in how they move. Combining this with self-detonated bombs would turn Link's down+B into a ridiculously strategic move, I think it'd be pretty fun to see!

I totally support replacing the clawshot by magnesis too, but considering the change would probably only be visual, there's really not much to talk about. Unless they make it Link's new side B or something.

Also, on the up+B.

They're not gonna change the Spin-Attack, come on. I know, Revali's Gale is a thing now. But really, the Spin-Attack is by far Link's most iconic sword move. It's appeared in every single main-series Zelda game since A Link to the Past and it's still as relevant in Breath of the Wild as it's always been as one of the main combat options. It's not gonna go anywhere.
I never really thought of Magnesis replacing Clawshot (sorry if it was mentioned before I haven't been paying attention), but it'd be a good use for it. Remote bombs make sense, and while they change the playstyle, it's nothing to drastic. Honestly I don't see what they're going to replace his Boomerang with. Even if they don't play a big part in BotW, they're still there.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice

Also, on the up+B.

My biggest reason for a change is just because Link has always been low/mid tier, and I'd like to see one Smash game where he's at least upper-mid tier.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
My biggest reason for a change is just because Link has always been low/mid tier, and I'd like to see one Smash game where he's at least upper-mid tier.
As much as I'd like to see a higher tier Link (or Zelda, or Ganondorf), I don't really want him to change much. He could get buffs for attacks, sure, but the whole Tier list is biased towards the speedster-type characters, so characters like Fox or Shiek will always end up higher tier than characters like Ike or Bowser.

I think even if he got a ground-up redesign for BotW, it wouldn't really affect tier standing unless they inexplicably made him a Yiga warrior.

His moves can still be buffed or made safer on blocks without changing him too much. I think this is a common question even in the Zelda and Mario threads: how much should one (granted a very recent and successful one) game affect a unique moveset they've had since Smash 64?

When Brawl was made, Mario had only one new move (FLUDD), replace a dspecial, and people were a bit annoyed about the loss of the Mario tornado. I think the same is relevant here - if only one outdated move for Link got changed, and the consensus here is that the side special be that one, how would that affect things?

Of course, the Ganondorf thread is asking the same question, but people are more in support of overhauls there to divorce him from Captain Falcon.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
As much as I'd like to see a higher tier Link (or Zelda, or Ganondorf), I don't really want him to change much. He could get buffs for attacks, sure, but the whole Tier list is biased towards the speedster-type characters, so characters like Fox or Shiek will always end up higher tier than characters like Ike or Bowser.

I think even if he got a ground-up redesign for BotW, it wouldn't really affect tier standing unless they inexplicably made him a Yiga warrior.

His moves can still be buffed or made safer on blocks without changing him too much. I think this is a common question even in the Zelda and Mario threads: how much should one (granted a very recent and successful one) game affect a unique moveset they've had since Smash 64?

When Brawl was made, Mario had only one new move (FLUDD), replace a dspecial, and people were a bit annoyed about the loss of the Mario tornado. I think the same is relevant here - if only one outdated move for Link got changed, and the consensus here is that the side special be that one, how would that affect things?

Of course, the Ganondorf thread is asking the same question, but people are more in support of overhauls there to divorce him from Captain Falcon.
I'd love for Gdorf to get a new moveset too. My problem is, we already have Toon Link who uses the moveset much better, so why not differentiate BotW Link with a new moveset? The people who preferred the old moveset can use Toon Link, while BotW Link can feel less like a clone character and more of his own. Honestly, I'd love to see little to no clone characters in Smash 5 if possible. Of course, I'm considered a casual player, so I'm not a fan of the whole "similar moveset with different physics" thing that some other people are.

Top Bottom