• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A breakdown of Nintendo since Smash Wii U. What's new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Super Smash Bros has always preferred to look at the content from the most recent games for stuff to use in Smash. A Smash for Switch will likely be no different so I've been looking at each franchise to see what's new they could add. You'll find most franchises in Smash have had a new game to talk about, or have one coming out. I'm going one by one looking at each franchise in Smash, new franchises introduced since Smash Wii U, as well as some that released just before. And talk about the quiet franchises we haven't heard from. From looking at whats new, we can predict what may come out way.

I'm going to go over each franchise that has had new games

SUPER MARIO
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4luigi::4mario::4drmario::4peach::rosalina:
:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:
Mario as always has had a lot of new stuff. I'll be going over the important stuff mostly though.

First of all, the game that Smash Switch is going to give most of the spotlight too:

Super Mario Odyssey.
We're obviously going to get a fair bit from this, a stage is obvious with some nice tunes and some trophies no doubt. The stage most seem to lean towards is New Donk City being featured most heavily in all the trailers. I feel also Fossil Falls and perhaps Honeylune Ridge also being possible candidates. Jump Up Superstar is obviously going to be in the next game, no one should doubt this. Also Fossil Falls and Steam Gardens would be great songs. Pauline could make for a character, but I doubt it, but characters is why I want to talk about the game

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker/Super Mario 3D World
Captain Toad is the front runner for a new Mario character and this game is why. Helps he also appears in the two galaxies, 3D World and Odyssey. The game even offers a couple of interesting locations for stages. 3D World released before Smash but didn't get much content. So something from one of these games wouldn't be unreasonable.

Other games and the future
Interestingly we haven't had a brand new Mario Kart yet since Smash Wii U, or a new 2D Mario aside from Mario Maker, which already got a stage. I think a new
2D Mario is very likely though, and we could easily see that in Smash. Or even a stage from an older 2D Mario like 64, Melee and Brawl. We may also see something from Mario & Luigi series and we'll probably see some Paper Jam stuff sprinkled in too.

Legend of Zelda
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4sheik::4tlink:

Since the last Smash, Zelda has had Majora's Mask 3D, Twilight Princess HD, Hyrule Warriors Legends (may as well count the original release as well), Triforce Heroes and the only one that really matters,

Breath of the Wild.
It's hard to say how this game will affect Smash, obviously we'll get a stage with songs and some champion trophies. But who knows in terms of design. I do think designs from this game are possible, but I think they may compromise. Like this Link in a newly designed green tunic that keeps the white underlayer, Ganondorf a new design with elements taken from the Gerudo, barbarian armour, Ganon bosses, eat, Zelda her royal dress, sheik armour. Or keep the Tp design who knows. Can't say for sure on characters, I'm biased towards Skull Kid.

Pokemon
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja::4charizard:

This one has been busy. Gen 6 finished with ORAS, Gen 7 seems done and Gen 8 appears on the way next year. We may get something from Oras and we'll probably get a few stuff for Gen 7. But the upcoming Switch game leaves things in a mystery. We always get a Pokemon from the most recent generation, always. We may even get two new Pokemon so Gen 7 and 3 fans can still have hope.

Gen 6/7
Decidueye is the fan favourite to become playable at the moment, before Sun and Moon, it was Sceptile. Decidueye may face competition from Tape Koko and Mimikyu. I think a grass starter is likely because it works very well with Greninja and Charizard. Who knows what Pokemon Switch has to offer though.

KIRBY
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:
We may be in the middle of a Kirby renaissance, Kirby has had lots of new games, some are filler, some are truly superb, and some full priced 3DS game that really doesn't look full priced Kirby Battle Royal but the key Kirby games to look at are Planet Robobot on 3DS and Star Allies coming to Switch. But all of them are fun, and the core games that matter are superb, and we have new one on the way for Switch. We might get songs from the smaller games, heck we'll be lucky to get a stage from anything past Super Star, but there is one character I do want to talk about.

A front-runner for new characters, Bandana Dee has very little stands in his away. These newer games have done little but help emphasise his role as fourth wheel, stickers have him with the core three a lot, he plays a role in battle royals (a full priced game) story and is a helper in Team Clash deluxe , although nothing from Star Allies yet. He's not as popular a pick as inklings or something from Donkey Kong, but he has remained a part of Kirby since returning in Ultra.

Other stuff
Planet Robobot Stage would be great and Susie could make interesting Assist Trophy. And Star Allies is sure to add plenty of new stuff including songs. Kirby has a strong future ahead and we can only pray we actually get something from it in Smash

Metroid
:4samus::4zss:
Metroid has three games since Smash Wii U. They are federation force, Samus Returns and Metroid Prime 4 coming in the future.
Samus Returns gives us a look at what Samus may look like in the new Smash.
It also gave Ridley a new design which we could see used, while still large, his neck is no longer awkwardly awkward in every way possible.
And Prime 4 is heavily hinted to include Stoic in its story and being Prime 4, we may see the return of Dark Samus. A Prime 4 stage sounds highly likely. Although SR388 would be awesome.

Star Fox
:4falco::4fox:
Star Fox went the last Smash gap with no new games. Times have changed though thanks to Star Fox Zero. I see them going all in here, designs, stage, music, trophies. It may have been poorly received by everyone but Nintendo sees it as a gem. Maybe someone will even get a walker Final Smash
That's not all though, Star Fox 2 was also officially released, but I expect that to get ignored. There was also Star Fox guard.

YOSHI
:4yoshi:
Yoshi had Woolly World release on 3DS and has a brand new Switch game coming. We'll likely just see a stage and a couple of songs but that's it. I do however fully expect Poochy to appear, likely as an assist trophy. He got an amiibo and got his name in the 3DS woolly world title and even appears in Odyssey.

FIRE EMBLEM
:4corrin::4corrinf::4lucina::4marth::4myfriends::4feroy::4robinm::4robinf:
Fire Emblem has received a fair bit since Smash Wii U, but it's hard to predict what will happen with its character roster. So for now I'll just talk like everyone is returning.
Fire Emblem has had the following games released since Smash Wii U: Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia (remake), Fire Emblem Heroes (mobile), Fire Emblem Warriors & Tokyo Mirage Session (spin-off), and a brand new true title coming to Switch. Technically Fates, but for obvious reasons it doesn't really count.

Of these, I think Heroes and the Switch title will offer the most for Smash. Specifically from Heroes I can see a few designs being used. I know Roy and Robin have slightly different designs such as Roy have a sleeve covering an arm and Robin having gloves. Which are absent in Smash. Who knows if we'll get a new character though. Fire Emblem has also only ever had one game specific stage, so we can't predict that either. But Tiki has been able to keep some importance after Awakening with Tokyo Mirage Session (oh yeah, that game) and Warriors and now has an amiibo. I could see her as an assist with possibly a stage associated with her.

PIKMIN
:4olimar::4alph:
Two games with Pikmin, the Hey Pikmin spin-off and (assuming it still exists) Pikmin 4. Being a side scroller like Smash, Hey Pikmin could offer various elements that could easily be implemented into a stage, even if the stage is technically based on another game. It also gives Olimar a jet pack that could be implemented, especially if they want to separate Olimar and Alph. Hopefully we get Pikmin 4 before a new Smash so Pikmin has bit more to use.

Animal Crossing
:4villagerf::4villager:
Animal Crossing has had the following games since Smash Wii U: Happy Home Design, Amiibo Festival and Pocket Camp. A core Animal Crossing is also one of the more discussed game for Switch. But based on these games, a campsite stage would likely prove interesting. A character I want to talk about though is Isabelle. Since the last Smash, she has appeared in each of those games with a role more prominent then most, a few amiibo and perhaps most interesting, a playable character in Mario Kart 8, she even appears on the cover of the deluxe version and continues to be used heavily in the promotion of Animal Crossing.
I can't speak for music and trophies though.

Xenoblade Chronicles
:4shulk:
When Smash Wii U released, it only had one game, it now has three in total. Not only was the original ported to New 3DS but we got X on Wii U and 2 very recently on Switch. Both X and 2 offer great locations for stages, music for those stages, a great cast of characters for trophies and assists but even a new star that would likely be playable. The question is, Rex or Elma. Rex is the more obvious choice as his game is more recent seemingly more popular among fans than X was. Mor Ardain song would be superb in Smash as well as a few battle themes. Each game offers great potential assist as well. Personally, I hope to see Morag. With game being used help make the Switches first year the juggernaut it was, heavy promotion in the next Smash seems likely.

Sonic
:4sonic:
Now for third parties. Sonic has had two games that people will acknowledge, Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania.

Sonic Forces being the game that was developed by Sega makes it the more likely to get representation in Smash despite Mania's popularity. Fist Bump seems like an obvious choice for a new song, and we'll likely get a number of trophies based on this game. I can't really speak for what could be a stage since I haven't played it. But it seems likely it will be red and depressing.

Mega Man
:4megaman:
Mega Man 11 is coming to switch! In it he has a taller sleeker design which we could see in Smash, he also has a voice but that seems doubtful. What doesn't seem doubtful is that a new stage will likely come from that game as well as a few songs. Capcom is bringing back Mega Man and Smash will likely get in on that hype. Maybe they'll even add a move from that game.

Pac-Man
:4pacman:

This guy hasn't really had much. Ghostly Adventures 2 released around the same time as Smash Wii U and we had an Infinite Pac-Man game called Pac-Man 256. Smash Wii U seemed to focus entirely on his retro roots. So a new game likely won't make much difference. We did get the Namco museum on Switch and we did get a lot of other retro Namco in Smash so maybe we'll actually get a Namco Museum as the next Pac-Man stage. We also have 5 Namco games being announced soon, if one is Pac-Man, I'll update this section.

Street Fighter
:4ryu:
Street Fighter 5 released a year after Smash, and we also got Ultra Street Fighter 2, a new switch exclusive version of the only game Smash cares about in terms of Street Fighter. We will likely get an assist trophy as well since being DLC meant it didn't get one. The Street Fighter collection is also coming to Switch so Street Fighter has a future with Nintendo. If I were to guess what assist we'd get, I'd say Chun Li

FINAL FANTASY
:4cloud::4cloud2:
Final Fantasy 15 released after Smash Wii U, and we still have 7 remake coming, which is all Smash cares about to the point where his trophy category is actually Final Fantasy 7. It really feels like Cloud was a one time deal, but if he does return, we can hopefully expect more from Final Fantasy 7, and maybe some other games if we're lucky. Sephiroth assist sounds most likely imo.

Bayonetta
:4bayonetta::4bayonetta2:
Bayonetta 3 baby! If it introduces a new design, we could see that as the new design in Smash. Like the other dlc third party characters, an assist trophy and I'm leaning towards Rodin, although Luka or Jean could work, maybe even Balder. It's hard to say what they can have from Bayonetta 3 at this point, but I'll definitely update this as I go. That new threat could cause havoc as a stage hazard though.

What's New?
Well, we'll start at two obvious ones. Splatoon and Arms. Inklings are the most likely characters for the next game, no question. The only question is how they'll play. Arms has proven to be somewhat successful and Spring Man leads the charge. Stages though, are hard to predict. Urchin Underpass was used in Mario Kart 8. Inkopolis is the hub. Personally I lean towards Inkopolis so they can use that squid sister hype and have special splatfest Easter eggs akin to KK Slider on the animal crossing stages. Any stage from Arms could work. But I'm thinking the sky scraper or spring arena. Headlok could make for interesting boss or assist. And the Helix clones could make for Smash run enemies if it returns.
We also have Code name Steam, Ever Oasis, Badge Arcade, Boxboy and a few Mii games as other new Ips. Older franchises have also continued to get new games such as Rhythm Heaven and New Style Boutique that could offer a left field character . I'm sure I'm missing a lot, so feel free to mention other newer games.

Now for franchises that haven't had new games, I'm going to go through these ones a little quicker.

Retro
:4duckhunt::4rob::4gaw:
G&W, Robot and Duck Hunt. Obviously these ones haven't. That's the point of them being retro. R.O.B. however does represent the NES more so than his own series and that recenctly had the NES mini, and he has continued his trend of minor cameos in games, Such as with Majora's Mask 3D. Who knows what we'll get for stages, maybe they'll just keep old ones or use other ones

Punch Out/Kid Icarus
:4littlemac::4darkpit::4palutena::4pit::4wiremac:
These two are in the situation, both are franchises that were recently revived but haven't had a new game after that. Uprising has plenty to offer for more Kid Icarus though, and Punch Out could use stuff from Super if needed. Or just a training room stage. Or just really re use the Boxing Ring. Hopefully they do have a future though.

Earthbound
:4ness::4lucas:
This franchise is finished, despite that though, even without new games it has remained a little relevant. Earthbound beginnings released worldwide for the first time in 2015 and Earthbound was on SNES mini. I believe more content from the original game is likely due to this worldwide release

F-Zero
:4falcon:
Poor Captain Falcon. All F-Zero has had aside from ports is two tracks in Mario Kart 8. But they are very detailed tracks and could potentially offer designs for new stage, and those remixes a really good
And this might be just me, but I think this is the generation we get a new F-zero

Wii Fit
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:
With the end of the Wii brand, this is expected. Who knows what they could use as the series continues. Maybe we'll see some of the Wii Fit mini games. They do have potential saving grace. That quality of life stuff Nintendo was talking about. Although it's probably joined the realm of Pikmin 4

Donkey Kong / Wario
:4wario::4dk::4diddy::4wario2:
Both franchises haven't had new games but both have continued to appear in the Mario games. Although Tropical Freeze did release the same year as Smash so we may just get a stage from that. Wario also has his Land series to draw new stuff from if they want something new. Both are unlikely to be dead though could easily get a new game in the future

And I believe that covers everything, I hope to update this as we get closer to the inevitable Smash on Switch to give everyone an idea what to expect. And what new stuff each franchise has to offer that they didn't in Smash Wii U. Don't be afraid to leave a suggestion on what I should mention, some of these franchises I don't know much about and some extra info could likely help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom