• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Bittersweet Final Battle: Smash Fan Chris Taylor Passes Away After Receiving His Final Wish

It was this tweet that allowed for what’s been one of the most bittersweet stories within the Smash communities this year.

21-year-old Chris Taylor (@SpookyWoobler), a bedridden cancer patient residing in Ontario, Canada, was following alongside hundreds of thousands of other Smash and Nintendo fans when the September 13th Nintendo Direct confirmed that Isabelle from Animal Crossing will be included as a fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Taylor started sharing his thoughts on the Direct on Twitter shortly afterwards, where he came to the startling realization that, due to his grim prognosis, he would likely not live to see the game’s release.

Taylor had been battling with osteosarcoma and its complications for over three years. He’d been keeping his Twitter followers up-to-date with his health and gave them the news on July 12th that he’d made the decision to stop pursuing treatment. He’d tried several different treatment options, including participation in two high-risk clinical trials, which proved futile. Following this decision, Taylor was given an approximate three-to-six month window of time remaining to live.

Taylor regularly expressed his love for games and their respective communities, demonstrating a great deal of excitement for Smash and Devil May Cry especially. After his thread on potentially not being able to see Ultimate’s release, a massive number of members from both communities and beyond took notice and retweeted the message en masse, hoping that someone could grant Taylor a chance to play one of his most anticipated games before it was too late. Professional Smash players and content creators such as Juan “Hungrybox” DeBeidma and Desmond “Etika” Amofah, as well as many more members of the gaming community who felt moved by Taylor’s situation, utilized their platforms to help get Taylor connected with Nintendo directly.

Within a week of Taylor’s tweet gaining traction, Nintendo reached out to him privately and set up a time for him to enjoy the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate demo in the privacy of his bedroom, surrounded by close friends and his mother, who were also welcomed to play along. Due to the potential risk involved with broadcasting his possession of the demo, Taylor was instructed to refrain from speaking about the opportunity until after the demo had been returned. Nintendo representatives arrived at his doorstep on September 21st, and he was able to enjoy the game for a handful of hours alongside his loved ones as promised.

The Smash community following his story on Twitter was elated to hear the news, with many people publicly thanking Nintendo for listening to fans and allowing Taylor this opportunity. He later expressed his own gratitude on Twitter by sharing pictures of him and his friends playing the demo and giving a direct “thank you” to Nintendo and all of those in the community who spread the word of this issue, despite him not prompting it at all.

While victory was sweet in the eyes of the Smash community immediately after hearing of Taylor’s experience, the excitement behind it was short lived. Unfortunately, on September 24th, Chris Taylor passed away. His brother, Zach, posted this information to Reddit the following morning and graciously thanked the entirety of the Smash community and all those who had even a small part in helping of make one of Chris Taylor’s final wishes come true in the last days of his life:

“You guys made it possible for his wish to come true. I hope Chris’s memory lives on through all of us when we game. Just remember, this once, everybody got together for the most genuine man I've ever known. He just wanted to get out there and meet some people and play some games. Unfortunately, he can’t do that anymore, so let’s continue his legacy for him.”

The community continues to grieve for the loss of Chris Taylor, but they can assuredly find solace in knowing that in their brief, yet combined effort, they were able to grace one of their brothers with a joy that he thought he’d never get to see, in a time where he needed it the most.

Our condolences and thoughts go to the family and loved ones of Chris Taylor, and our thanks go to Nintendo and their truly wonderful community who took the initiative to bring a positive end to Chris’s story.

Lord Cownostril III

Comments

D
Poor guy... at least be was able to play Ultimate like he wanted to. Rest in peace fellow Smasher and respects to the family :'(

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a story. I'm glad he was able to pursue his passion and enjoy the game series he loved before passing.

What a true shame. Got to play one of two of his most anticipated games, only to pass away just a few days after. Rest in Peace, Chris Taylor. You showed us there is still some goodwill on the Internet.

Attachments

D
I was saddened to hear this. More important then any amount of speculation about which character will be added next or if we'll get a demo sometime, Is the fact we are able to have fun and enjoy the game. Chris Taylor was able to enjoy and have a great time with the game which is a great and touching thing. My hat's off too the community Etika, Hungrybox Nintendo and everyone who got him the chance to play it. Good job. No... great job.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Chris Taylor and his family God bless and you will be remembered. Also my best to his family he was a great fan and I'm glad he got a chance to enjoy the game he'll never be forgotten.

Great job by all and it shows there's still some good will out there happy to be a part of this community.

This is probably one of the most heartwarming stories I have seen in the video game community. Nintendo is amazing for caring about their fans, and letting Chris play the Smash Ultimate Demo when he wouldn't have been able to play the full game. The Smash community is truly amazing, and my condolences go to Chris Taylor and his family. Rest In Peace Chris. You will be missed.

This makes me very sad. I’v Never heard of the guy, but it is very sad that he died. But I am very glad that he got to play the demo before his death.

Man, toxic as the Smash community can be sometimes, it's just really incredible to see people being able to make stuff like this happen. It's incredible and I certainly have deep respect for everyone who was involved in making this happen, both fans and Nintendo alike. R.I.P. Chris Tayler, I'm happy he was still able to at least enjoy Ultimate for a little while before he passed.

it's because of moments like this where we all get together to make a wish come true that I have mixed feelings about the community at large. the only other time I know prominently where we all got together to support each other like this was in 2013, but I don't need to reiterate that story. but suffice it to say, that unity felt great, and I wish it was something that happened more often.

but outside of heartrending stories like this, that unity is nowhere near as strong, and I feel very pained about that. Lots of minor arguments and debates that often go nowhere because neither side is willing to listen to the other... and it devolves from there. but as an otherwise average player in this huge crowd with... basically nothing to distinguish me in the crowd... what could I really do about that, really?

Thank you, Chris... for bringing out the best in us as a community... even if that feeling will not last for long......

Last edited:
Glad he got the chance to play before passing away.
Hope he will rest well, and that he meets Iwata in heaven, where they can play Smash for eternity.

A story I find as inspiring as it is heartbreaking. Inspiring in that it's an example of what people can do for each other once they set their minds to the pure desire to help out their fellow man. Heartbreaking, in that all good things must come to an end.

Many thoughts and condolences to his family and friends who not only experienced the loss of a loved one but had to slowly and painfully wait for the inevitable end that doubtless caused many sleepless and nightmarish nights. Knowing that someone you love is going to die and not being able to do anything to prevent it is always an awful feeling.

And good on Nintendo Canada for making the necessary arrangements to make one of Chris' last days a truly magical one.

While they've done plenty as is, I hope they can fit some kind of tribute to him into the actual game, like a shoutout in the credits. I think that would be a nice way to close this tale, by immortalising Chris within the game in some way.

I’m late but damn dude, my condolences.... I was hoping he would live to play the full game but I’m glad he got his final wish.

Top Bottom