• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Better Jet Hammer Would be Rather Nice!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I remember what I consider to be a near tragedy in King Dedede's arsenal-- Jet Hammer-- and how it had oh so few situational uses for even daring strategies. I have never played Smash 4 or ultimate, but if Jet Hammer is anything like it was in Brawl (and from what I have read, it mostly appears to be so), then this move certainly is due for a major service. So, I have taken the liberty of making this thread expressly for the purpose of seeing other's ideas for improving the effectiveness and utility of the move without changing its overall character, as well as stating a few of my own. Do not fear making the move overpowered, for there may be a rendition of the concept proposed which could add a unique flavor to Jet Hammer. It would be interesting to hear creative buffing suggestions for this historically questionable attack. Let us start with my proposal, which is threefold:

1): The striking frames of Jet Hammer reflect projectiles, sending them in the opposite direction at much greater velocity depending on the charge.

2): An opponent touching the flames from the jet flinch and receive between 3% and 7% fire damage.

3): (I personally would discard the two prior buffs in favor of this one if I could only have one, but it would be excellent to have all three.) At the start of Jet Hammer, the jet is inactive. During this time, Dedede may run, walk, or jump at close to his normal speed and has damage based armor (say, up to 10%?). At any time, the player may release B to cancel the move with an animation that lasts but a few frames, or press A to activate the jet, at which time, the move proceeds as normal. This update is my favorite of the three because it affords the player more time to set himself/herself up in an advantageous position before commiting, allows Dedede to rush in on a desirable location (such as where an item is) while braving light attacks and still activate Jet Hammer quickly for backup to threaten the opponent in case of confrontation, assists edge-guarding with more nimble movement when the opponent recovers high, and better facilitates the mindgames that Jet Hammer might ordinarily play if it were not of such great endlag and underwhelming area coverage (among other things) . A bonus perk to this could be the ability to double jump as normal while the jet is inactive, but I can see how this would be asking a mite too much.

Anyway, tell me what you think, and perhaps post your own fantasy Jet Hammer.

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
Give it super armor.

The jet should make you go faster forward but it takes longer to turn around.

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
On a broader level, what is this ability supposed to offer for his kit that the rest of his kit doesn't.

It's close range damage/knockback, and that's it.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
On a broader level, what is this ability supposed to offer for his kit that the rest of his kit doesn't.

It's close range damage/knockback, and that's it.
(I think the Jet Hammer is much better in Ultimate now that I have played it. I like it there.)

It allows King Dedede to pursue an opponent, and devastate them in a moment's time upon reaching them, making for more efficient damage with correct initial positioning. By itself, it leaves much room for reaction, but because it does not force him to take station after activation, it presents a continuous threat that does not telegraph an obvious way for the opponent to adapt until they are in a position to take to the offense. As a result, this is something he can use from a distance when the opponent is recovering their balance, provided he does not overcommit such that they position themselves in wait after regaining equilibrium. Its effectiveness directly integrates the mind game with its immediate combat value-- which lies in the controllability of delay. The tension this sets up when both players are on the move is enough to give it a slight edge over smash attacks when timing becomes precise. I have difficulty explaining EXACTLY what I mean, but hope that works well enough.

Top Bottom