• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A 100% original character? A discussion.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
With Super Smash Bros. Being the game that it is, with all the nintendo and 3rd party characters taking part, how would you guys feel about a character who was created specifically for the game. With no prior appearances in other games or connections to anything other than smash bros. How would you guys feel about this kind of character? Would this kind of character be possible?

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I mean, it really depends on what such a character would be like. I'd have to see it first.

As for it being possible, I would say that it is, whether it's likely is another story.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I believe that this could exist, and even work, but it's not something any of us want. At the core, Smash is about a huge crossover of several different series, and OCs tend to stay enemies or bosses. Maybe they could make new Assist Trophies, but I think OC fighters would defeat the purpose of Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don’t know, why would they even do it? It kind of defeats the whole purpose of Smash, that being characters from different franchises crossing over. You make an OC, that’s not really anyone crossing over.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Absolutely ****ing not!

Smash doesn't need OC characters. It's completely against the spirit of the series.

Galleom, Duon and Tabuu were bad enough. Utter waste of boss slots. Last thing they need is to start wasting character slots too.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I would enjoy it if it were set up properly.

Best comparison I can think of is Heroes of the Storm having just announced an original character for a game that was meant to just be crossover, but this was done after a year or so of setting up a story arc with an original villain.
Then you have Fire Emblem Heroes where the crossover is the main draw but they set up original heroes AND villains who are now playable and have a decent following.

What goes against Smash right now is that all enemies and bosses are just generic blobs or darkness/light that don't really have personality to them. The original smash characters with the most personality are Giga Bowser and Sandbag, and one is a final smash now while the other is an item.
Closest instance we did get of an original character with some personality was the Ancient Minister... but then that was just R.O.B., so not actually an original character.

Basically, we need more smash lore beside floating hands and generic blob bosses for an original character to be really acceptable. There'd need to be more story to what the world of Smash actually is.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I would enjoy it if it were set up properly.

Best comparison I can think of is Heroes of the Storm having just announced an original character for a game that was meant to just be crossover, but this was done after a year or so of setting up a story arc with an original villain.
Then you have Fire Emblem Heroes where the crossover is the main draw but they set up original heroes AND villains who are now playable and have a decent following.

What goes against Smash right now is that all enemies and bosses are just generic blobs or darkness/light that don't really have personality to them. The original smash characters with the most personality are Giga Bowser and Sandbag, and one is a final smash now while the other is an item.
Closest instance we did get of an original character with some personality was the Ancient Minister... but then that was just R.O.B., so not actually an original character.

Basically, we need more smash lore beside floating hands and generic blob bosses for an original character to be really acceptable. There'd need to be more story to what the world of Smash actually is.
The Ancient Minister was pretty rad.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Depends on the character's design and characterization.
If done right an OC can be an interesting addition... if done right.
Do I want one?: If done properly, than sure
Do I think it's what most people want?: No
Do I think it's possible?: Yes, not likely, but possible

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
With Super Smash Bros. Being the game that it is, with all the nintendo and 3rd party characters taking part, how would you guys feel about a character who was created specifically for the game. With no prior appearances in other games or connections to anything other than smash bros. How would you guys feel about this kind of character? Would this kind of character be possible?
You mean like Roy and Corin? They are ok but I have no particular affinity for either of them.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah no. Let's not.
Ever.
We have enough wanted characters as is.
If you want your Smash OC, you have Roy and the Miis.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The Ancient Minister was pretty rad.
Yeah...because he turned out to be ROB.

If they want to make an OC character that then, SURPRISE, it was Dr. Wily in disguise! Then that's fine.

If we smash open Galeem and it's actually Giygas inside, then that would be fantastic.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
A Dragon King character would be an ideal original character because this was what Smash originally was going to be before it became a crossover. Obviously, some of this transferred over to Captain Falcon, who had a completely original moveset, but I digress.

original.jpg

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
It's a no from me. Smash is about Nintendo franchises primarily, and gaming crossovers.
I'm happy for an antagonist or boss battle against an original character, like they have in Ultimate, but not a playable original.
That really would be 'taking a slot' from a character in my book.

You mean like Roy and Corin? They are ok but I have no particular affinity for either of them.
I get where you're coming from, but I don't have too much of a problem with characters who haven't appeared in a game yet, as long as they are set to appear in a game soon and from an existing Nintendo franchise that isn't Smash - although I would much rather that character be in the public eye first before they get in Smash, so we can at least gauge whether they are worthy and we actually like them. I mean, Corrin would've made more sense for Ultimate rather than Smash 4 DLC, and would've probably been better received.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
TBH I would love for Sandbag to be playable. I have played as him in Melee through hacking but he knew no attacking moves and froze the game. They should include him as a joke character (and I mean a real joke character that is extra weak like Pichu in Melee and Ganondorf in SSBB were, not like Smash64 Jigglypuff which was actually quite decent) so that people can pick him when they want to sandbag their opponent. Obviously he does need some attacking moves, IMO he should just be weaker but not hopeless.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'd be fine with Primid, Metal Mario, Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Fighting Polygon Team, and most importantly Sandbag, but not a 100% original character.

...I mean, I honestly wouldn't care even if it was 100% original, but I'd rather we get Sandbag, and I know a lot of people would detest the idea.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
No thank you. When you have a big crossover event, the last thing you really need are characters made up for it. The OC characters that do get slapped into these types of things are always the blandest and least interesting imaginable anyway.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I'd be fine with Primid, Metal Mario, Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Fighting Polygon Team, and most importantly Sandbag, but not a 100% original character.

...I mean, I honestly wouldn't care even if it was 100% original, but I'd rather we get Sandbag, and I know a lot of people would detest the idea.
Metal Mario is 0% original since he comes straight from Mario 64. He is no more original than regular Mario is. And I think that Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Primid, and Sandbag are all 100% Smash Bros. Though I may be wrong on that one.

The Fighting Polygon Team or maybe Wireframes would be neat. We already had a playable semi-original character with Giga Bowser which is an original Smash character but obviously based on Bowser. Maybe R.O.B. should count too considering the fact that his moveset is almost completely original and his canon backstory has been completely ignored in favour of a new backstory based on the SSE. Even his series logo is based on the SSE logo.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Metal Mario is 0% original since he comes straight from Mario 64. He is no more original than regular Mario is. And I think that Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Primid, and Sandbag are all 100% Smash Bros. Though I may be wrong on that one.

The Fighting Polygon Team or maybe Wireframes would be neat. We already had a playable semi-original character with Giga Bowser which is an original Smash character but obviously based on Bowser. Maybe R.O.B. should count too considering the fact that his moveset is almost completely original and his canon backstory has been completely ignored in favour of a new backstory based on the SSE. Even his series logo is based on the SSE logo.
By 100% original I just thought of a new character made specifically for the roster, not necessarily one that's 100% original to the Smash series, though I see I didn't read the OP very well.

I wasn't sure if Metal Mario was from Mario Golf first or not, I don't know the dates; I know there's the powerup in SM64, I just considered this one to be separate, like a doppleganger.

Those would be cool, too, I just like the idea of Sandbag mostly, though I like those as well, any of them would be funny. I guess Giga Bowser and R.O.B sort-of count.

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
To bring things full circle, I would have Dragon King as the original character. I would have the original SSB64 Classic mode stage clear jingle as his victory theme which would then segue into the original multiplayer match win music music that played after the character victory theme.

It'd be very interesting to see Sakurai and his team take the few beta shots and design a look. What would he look like? I kinda imagine that he would look like a luchador.

That being said, Primid or Tabuu would also work. They wouldn't need as much moveset development.

Last edited:

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if Primid from Brawl's Subspace would count under this ideology - seeming as it already exists in the series - but I honestly thought the idea of having one as a fighter would be pretty cool. It's definitely FAR from my top 5 most wanted characters, but if it did happen to make it in, I would've thought it'd been a unique and interesting addition!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't hate the idea, necessarily, but I also don't think it's needed. It'd be fun to play as Sandbag or the Wireframes or the Fighting Polygon Team - and I did all of that through hacking - and I've seen original characters work in crossover fighters. The biggest one is Ruby Heart in MvC2. She was so cool people still want her in her own game. So if they were cool enough and there was a story based around it then maybe.

That said...we already have so many gaming characters knocking at the door to be added so I'd rather just see more gaming characters. I love that Kirby is the World of Light protagonist rather than, say, a Mii.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I love that Kirby is the World of Light protagonist rather than, say, a Mii.
I dislike it. I would have preferred one of those:
- Mario; because he was listed first out of the original 8 in the Smash 64 roster and is Nintendo's mascot.
- Captain Falcon; because he is awesome and it is a nice nod to Smash's origins.
- Mii; because then we could have customisation.
- Multiple choice.
- Any character I like.

But unfortunately Sakurai made Kirby so Kirby gets special treatment.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I dislike it. I would have preferred one of those:
- Mario; because he was listed first out of the original 8 in the Smash 64 roster and is Nintendo's mascot.
- Captain Falcon; because he is awesome and it is a nice nod to Smash's origins.
- Mii; because then we could have customisation.
- Multiple choice.
- Any character I like.

But unfortunately Sakurai made Kirby so Kirby gets special treatment.
cool bud

1FC0

Smash Lord
If he wasn't OP, he wouldn't have made it out either.
That would be good because then they could have had a cool character survive.
- Mewtwo could have Teleported to a Pokemon Center
- Sonic could have outrun the beams
- WFT could have timed her Usmash properly
- Captain Falcon could have outraced them with his F-Zero
- Villager could have pocketed the beams
And I am sure that it is possible to make up more reasons why certain cool characters could have survived.

And they should have showed Kirby being blasted into oblivion while waiting for his Warp Star to come out of his ass (or however he summons them).

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
That would be good because then they could have had a cool character survive.
- Mewtwo could have Teleported to a Pokemon Center
- Sonic could have outrun the beams
- WFT could have timed her Usmash properly
- Captain Falcon could have outraced them with his F-Zero
- Villager could have pocketed the beams
And I am sure that it is possible to make up more reasons why certain cool characters could have survived.

And they should have showed Kirby being blasted into oblivion while waiting for his Warp Star to come out of his *** (or however he summons them).
ITP: Hazardous Waste Warning: Anti-Kirby bile is being spewed.

Cobalt Chalcedony

Smash Rookie
Couldn't the Primid do as a wholly unique smash character, i think they could have an interesting moveset with the different forms (Fire Primid, Sword Primid ect ect)

1FC0

Smash Lord
They should probably just pick Tabuu since he is really cool and the main villain of the best 1P mode in all of Smash history.

D

Deleted member

I hope not considering how bland smash’s style is without the content of other franchises.

Top Bottom