• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U 9.0 No life loss build suggestions

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I was thinking something with Ganon? I can play everyone well enough for single player but what's the most foolproof way through?

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
Something with Vampire. Unless you mean never taking damage in the first place.

Last edited:

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
I cleared it with Zelda on my third try. The CPU are stupid enough to almost never block Farore's Wind (Up B) which happens to be a great KO move. Whilst fighting Master Core I just used here Fair and Nair since they have a great sweetspot.

During Master Fortress I used Din't Fire (side B) do hit the weak spots. This made is possible to stand in more safe spots.

You could also get the "Heals grdually over time" defense badge if you want.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I had a Defence based Rosalina, who also had slightly above normal Strength and improved jumping ability, with the Shooting Star Bit custom move.

I got really close, but I kept getting caught by Master Beast. His attacks can be very unpredictable, and that built up the damage, and then Master Edges finished me off. He was harder to dodge due to the painful speed reduction (which I swear was making landing lag worse).

Ironically, when doing the "Clear 9.0 with no customs" challenge, I almost accomplished the no-KO run, but Master Edges messed me up. He's the most difficult part of the boss run.

Luma is extremely handy for some of the tighter spaces in Master Fortress, though. Like that one section with the platforms above the lava, and there are two Stalfos enemies patrolling around. That part can be annoying, but I just send Luma over to knock them off when I'm Rosalina. Characters like Kirby can also jump around them if they are ready to dodge too.

For the Fighting Mii Team, I hang by the ledge and just keep using Rosalina & Luma's U-Air and hitting the Miis from under the stage that way. It easily KO's them off the top blast zone, and Launch Star makes recovery extremely safe.

As for the rest of the regular fights, I pretty much just go with the fights with the least amount of fighters, and try to avoid certain stages if I have to take on a few fighters at once (like Skyworld and Yoshi's Island). Just to take as much of the random factor out as possible.

Purio

Smash Cadet
I surprsingly ended up doing it with Ike by chance. I had one good attack equipt as well as two good defense boosts. The defense boosts help you from being launched, the single attack boost really helps with Smash attacks. It really comes down to luck. Master Core goes down pretty quick, the real challenge is not getting any 8 Player Smashes. The CPU always seem to gang up on you, haha.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I used this build:

The idea is to get kinda lucky you don't run into any characters with a counter, make it to the bosses, kill them as fast as possible, use the heart right away and the maze is cake because you kill the core in about 2 hits so in phase 2 and 4 when the alarm goes off you don't have to reset yourself you can just hit the core again and transfer away.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452

The build I used. Sliding fortress is practically mandatory for movement as well as Auto-Heal.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Is auto-healer equipment widely available in this game? I have about 1500+ pieces of equipment and I have yet to come across anything with auto-heal capability.

At this point, I have enough golden hammers to take out all of the remaining challenges, so I will probably just do that. I hate Master Core way too much to put myself through some of these challenges.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Anyone know if this challenge can be done co-op? I feel like doing it that way would be easier.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Anyone know if this challenge can be done co-op? I feel like doing it that way would be easier.
The challenge does not say "Solo" so I would say yes. However, that would mean neither person could lose a life, which might make it more difficult? I don't know.

Only3Penguins

Smash Rookie
The upside of co-op is that even on 9.0, there is no Master Fortress. If you can make it to Master & Crazy Hand with two players and haven't lost any lives by then, it should be doable fairly easily with the right equipment.

My brother and I did 9.0 in co-op for the "no customizations" challenge. We haven't been lucky enough to make it to the hands without one of us losing a life though. Still trying, still dying.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I've tried the challenge toady, I wiped more time on the random 6-8 players match than anything...

The funny thing is that when I did the 12 minutes classic mode with Marth I died only on the Mii fight because I sneezed. Sometimes the life just hate me.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I am just completely demoralized now. Tried this challenge with a custom Rosalina for the first time, just to see how it went. Made it to Master Fortress alright, but had several bogus deaths along the way from stupid cheap bull****. Then.... I just could not beat Master Core to save my life. I got knocked all the way down to 6.5 before I finally beat that goddamn thing. I died at least twice to the ****ing HANDS for ****'s sake, due to her recovery not making it far enough.

And whoever designed Master Fortress is a sadistic asshole. There is ZERO room for error. Touch the acid once? Dead. Get hit by one of those flowers? If there is acid anywhere nearby, your'e dead. It's just not fun when you can go from 0% to dead because you touch the wall, get pinball off of another wall, off an acid pool on the floor, then off of another acid wall. This is complete horse****. I am furious that I can't use a hammer on this challenge.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I finally did it, it was a nightmare. I completed the 9,0 classic mode even when I lose a stock earlier to pratice the final boss, by the third try I was already able to do it without taking damage at all.

It then took me TEN RUNS to complete without losing a stock thanks to:
- 8 player smash in Onett
- 8 player smash in Yoshi Island
- Mr Game and Watch rolling a 9 on his stupid hammer. In the first 5 seconds of a match.
- Dragoon pieces "random" spawn in da face of a "random" CPU. So random that he was the only one still alive, and with already two pieces on.
- Not one, not two, but ladies and gentlemen, THREE Bob-Bombs that spawned in front of me when I was charging an attack
- The very first match, vs. the Rival, a Metal Bowser AND a Giant Little Mac joined the party. Along with 3 other CPU, of course in Donkey Kong Jungle 64. Just to be clear, Giant Mac's smashes cover half of the main platform.

Doing the Classic mode at 9,0 with Marth in 12 minutes was FAR easier...

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
So I don't know if I'm making progress here or not... I have no auto-heal equipment for Kirby, but I put together a custom set with Vampire, and my best strength and defense badges (this seems to be my favorite setup in general), and absolutely steamrolled through the first 6 matches without even coming close to dying on my first try. Then... of course, Master ____ completely destroyed me. Even the hands did over 50% damage. The HANDS. I don't think I even made it past Master Beast without losing both stocks. 2nd try, I made it to the Fortress with 1 stock and got wombo comboed by the damn stalfos/viridi/acid **** as usual. Finally beat it on 8.0. Second try a bit later, I had one BS death on Orbital Gate, but otherwise another cakewalk through the first 6 matches, then wombo comboed by Master Giant. Lost BOTH stocks to him, one of them to the stupid scream at almost no damage. I don't know what it is, but I cannot seem to dodge ANYTHING Master Core does as Kirby. Managed to beat it on 8.5 though. I think this build can eventually work if I can just figure out how not to get destroyed by the boss.

pmort

Smash Cadet
So I don't know if I'm making progress here or not... I have no auto-heal equipment for Kirby, but I put together a custom set with Vampire, and my best strength and defense badges (this seems to be my favorite setup in general), and absolutely steamrolled through the first 6 matches without even coming close to dying on my first try. Then... of course, Master ____ completely destroyed me. Even the hands did over 50% damage. The HANDS. I don't think I even made it past Master Beast without losing both stocks. 2nd try, I made it to the Fortress with 1 stock and got wombo comboed by the damn stalfos/viridi/acid **** as usual. Finally beat it on 8.0. Second try a bit later, I had one BS death on Orbital Gate, but otherwise another cakewalk through the first 6 matches, then wombo comboed by Master Giant. Lost BOTH stocks to him, one of them to the stupid scream at almost no damage. I don't know what it is, but I cannot seem to dodge ANYTHING Master Core does as Kirby. Managed to beat it on 8.5 though. I think this build can eventually work if I can just figure out how not to get destroyed by the boss.
Hmmm, I may need to try this. Kirby got the job done on 4 ko rival smash for me.

I'm loathe to link there (ok, actually I can't on mobile for some reason...will do later), but there's a guide on gamefaqs for Bowser that is actually good and I might try it out.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWJPuEJeNDo

Both the Marth speedrun and the no death run. Take two of your best offense equips and a defense equip, and pack Marth's heavy blade custom. Dolphin jump and dashing assault are also recommended, especially the later because CPUs don't dodge it. Always pick easy fights (dur), and spam counter against Master Beast and use it on the last hit of Edges' five swing attack to 90% kill it. Fortress is a piece of cake, just take your time and save using the heart for as long as possible. You can kill three of the four cores before taking it, but you should at least kill the first.

I'd of probably beaten it by now if I was physically capable of using Marth at all. :bee:
Like, I can't even beat a lvl 9 CPU as Marth.
Good thing somebody else is doing it for me.

pmort

Smash Cadet
Jesus f***ing christ, AGAIN, keep dying at Core. Honestly don't think I can finish this garbage. Wish I started off with this challenge just so I could realize it ain't happening and not bother trying to 100%.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I tried a couple more times with my Kirby. Made it to the Core with no deaths one more time, but got destroyed at the boss again. I just need more practice against the Core. I can do the Fortress no problem with Kirby. I think this one is definitely doable, unlike the damn Duck Hunt challenge.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Jesus f***ing christ, AGAIN, keep dying at Core. Honestly don't think I can finish this garbage. Wish I started off with this challenge just so I could realize it ain't happening and not bother trying to 100%.
Dude. I beat 9.0 on my second try. No deaths at all isn't impossible, especially since the guy in the video I posted isn't exactly a Marth main.

pmort

Smash Cadet
I was very careful to say that it wasn't impossible but that I just can't do it. It's f***ing infuriating and I don't have the patience for it.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Still can't get this, but I have another potential candidate. I just set up a custom Bowser Jr and just beat 9.0 on my first try. Had 1 or 2 deaths before the boss (one was on the broken suspension bridge on Wuhu Island, just missed the recovery). Died once to freaking Master Shadow, but then made it through the Fortress without too much trouble. Might try again with him.

pmort

Smash Cadet
Tried that Marth build in the video and did about as good as I usually do with Ike, if not worse. The build wasn't exactly what the guy used, because I don't have the Risky Respawn Sword (I had it, but I lost at Master Core when I did and in a complete shock to nobody at all, that was one of the items it took from me, and I haven't seen another since). There may be something to that setup though, and maybe I just need someone with power but who can strike faster than the heavyweights can. The reasons I usually die are from reversal nonsense, not so much basic combat. But Marth's lower defense & lighter weight did get me knocked out of a few matches where my Ike setup would have kept me going for longer.

Kinda facing the fact that there is no optimal "build" for this, because it's going to be a PITA regardless. Got close again and sure enough Master Core's beast form knocked me out. I thought I was used to its moves but I guess not.

At the very least, I'm getting custom moves for people. That's one of the four remaining challenges I've got to do yet, the others being headgear, this no death one, and the 50,000 trophy rush blocks.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pretty confident counters are the way to go since it just wimpifies Beast and Edges. Ike might work, but he lacks moves that CPUs will always fall for and his counter is kinda slow. (I think? Was in Brawl.)

pmort

Smash Cadet
Pretty confident counters are the way to go since it just wimpifies Beast and Edges. Ike might work, but he lacks moves that CPUs will always fall for and his counter is kinda slow. (I think? Was in Brawl.)
His counter is slower, and I think the timing is a bit different than Marth's. FWIW, with Marth I did counter Edges' overhead slash thing that is like a near insta-death for it. I think getting the counters down on the Beast at a minimum will be key. I think if I test him out a bit more I can get the hang of him. Would really like that Risky Respawn sword though, since it leaves defense relatively untouched and I think that'll help me immensely.

Also, just discovered a knock against Ike that was originally a plus. His alternate side special that I was using for the Mii battle…completely slipped my mind that Bob-ombs can drop on that lower level, which kind of nukes that plan. Dashed into it with a bit of damage and sure enough I got blown away, though that run was already a bust.

So yeah, I am open to hopping on the Marth wagon & see if I can do this with him.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I might try my Marth build again as well. I beat the Fortress with Jigglypuff last night, which makes 7 characters now I think, but I still can't get the no death challenge done. Haven't made a serious run with Marth yet, though.

pmort

Smash Cadet
Marth ain't cuttin' it. Not yet anyway. Went back to Ike and came close again. I can make it to the end without losing a life pretty regularly now, but now I keep finding myself getting wrecked by Master Core's beast mode. I have a hell of a time timing counters, and his moves are just too damn fast.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I just tried with Marth. Didn't get the No Lives Lost challenge, but I did accidentally get the 12 minute challenge. I've also beaten the Fortress with 8 characters now. Not too bad.

pmort

Smash Cadet
FINALLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Stuck with Ike and my boy got the job done. Funny enough too, it definitely didn't look like it was gonna happen because I was getting DESTROYED on each of my earlier attempts, so bad I outright quit a few of them instead of sticking it out to regain my spent gold.

I can't be bothered with images (how y'all getting those screengrabs? With one of those fancy $200 thingies?), but here was my custom Ike:
Stats:
Attack +100
Defense -3
Speed -39

Equipment:
Auto Healer Sword (w/ Auto Heal obviously)
Legendary Sword
King's Cape

Specials:
Neutral: Eruption (default)
Side: Close Combat (2nd one)
Up: Aether (default)
Down: Counter (default) (I originally had his Smash Attack counter #3, but found no significant difference in damage…not worth the slow down effect)

Whenever I had trouble trying to hit someone turtling in a match, I stuck with Ike's neutral attack combo (jab jab slash). That's one of the few consistent moves that hit fast enough that the computer has a hard time blocking, so I made judicious use of it. Otherwise, I was relentless in my quest for items, particularly Pokeballs and Dragoon pieces.

Had an absolutely bonkers 3rd match with 8 people on the Fire Emblem stage. I countered my way to victory there (damn near a necessity), but got away without any Intruder Alerts, and mostly one on one matches. Blazed my way through the Mii Battle, which despite my misgivings about using Ike's #2 side special, I did it anyway and did it without issue. Every time I've done that level with him, I've never had a problem using that side special and it always clears that match quickly.

As for the final battle, it wasn't looking good because I racked up a bit of damage from the hands (I normally get through them with nothing). And the giant hit me with his backhand because I was just off with my dodge, but he was only able to get in a tilt attack which I got through unscathed.

As for the Beast, I didn't bother countering, I just went in complete attack mode. I opened with a perfectly timed full charge smash as he appeared, which was followed immediately by his background attack that got me. All things told I wound up with about 110% when I was through with him, but I just got in there and beat the hell out of him instead of trying to time counters; that's met

I did up smashes on Edges as soon as he appeared. He opened with his heavy swing, which I successfully blocked, and he thankfully went straight into his 4 side slash, 1 major slash routine. I countered the major slash to knock him the hell out.

Funnily enough, I was struggling with the Shadow. Don't know if it was nerves or what, but I just Close Combat dashed him the whole time so he couldn't sneak in any counters of his own, but he was doing a good job avoiding and getting just out of range. All told that took me down to nearly 2 minutes left (before the Fortress time bump) and he got some licks in on me that left me at about 80%.

Once fortress came, I didn't mess around and took the heart immediately. From there? Didn't get touched once. Absolutely annihilated fortress without any issues. Didn't hit any danger zones, didn't get hit by any stalfos or flowers. Nothing. 0% all the way.

So glad this is done with. Maybe down the road I'll try doing 9.0 with everyone, testing out different setups. Just happy that this toilet of a challenge is finished. Hallelujah.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I was so close to getting the job done with Rosalina but I didn't do it, unfortunately. I still kept going forward and beat it. I'm gonna give that another shot sometime.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
My best advice for Master Fortress is to not let the nerves get to you. It's actually really, really easy if you settle down and think, unless you're using an awkward character or something. Beat it on my second run of 9.0 myself.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I finally did the 9.0 challenge with no customization, now lets be clear: the 9.0 in 12 minutes challenge with Marth was hard, the 9.0 no life loss was a nightmare, but THIS was insane.

The main issue, for me, was the damage I accumulated in the multi players fight, especially in smaller maps. My advice is to use an Auto Recovery item, a Life stealing item and something else to offset the loss of stat (I used the risky respawn since I didnt expect to die on a perfect run).
If I recall correctly, you can get an Auto Recovery Brawn Badge from 3ds version by doing the 100 multiman smash challenge, but once I get used to be able to recover damage in the battle, the no customization challenge was much harder...

Thanks god I've just few more character to go with the 7.0 on all character challenge, then I'll never see this mode again...but the all character on hard challenge in all star already scare me...

pmort

Smash Cadet
My best advice for Master Fortress is to not let the nerves get to you. It's actually really, really easy if you settle down and think, unless you're using an awkward character or something. Beat it on my second run of 9.0 myself.
Not sure if this was for me but I didn't have (and never had) a problem with fortress. On my successful no death run I got through it with no damage taken, and most other runs I get through unscathed or at worst an errant Stalfos attack.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not sure if this was for me but I didn't have (and never had) a problem with fortress. On my successful no death run I got through it with no damage taken, and most other runs I get through unscathed or at worst an errant Stalfos attack.
I know, just thought I'd help others with the last leg since you brought it up.

pmort

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it's good advice. Obviously don't get reckless, but Fortress is so easy that it is basically a relief once you get to it.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Who did you use?
For the no life loss challenge I used Marth. With the healing equipment you can have a more aggressive/risky playstyle and kill enemies with tippered attack. I also recommend the Dashing Assault, for some reason the CPU won't react well to that, and can be quite useful for recovery too.

For the 9.0 with no customization I used Lucina. Without dashing assault, rack up damage can be quite painful, and thanks to random items and stage hazards, tippered attacks can be quite hard to pull.

If you struggle too much with the no life loss challenge, try with the Marth build for the 12 minutes one: dashing assault, home run bat equipment, first strike equipment and if you can a vampire or autorecovery equipment. Try to not lower the defense too much with this, and basically go like this: Dashing Assault at the beginning of the match, home rune enemies while invincible and kill the survivors. With this I was able to reach the Mii fight in less then 2 minutes and without life loss (I then died like an idiot at the Miis), in the final battle you won't have the bat, so you have to kill the boss flawless, but the invincibility will activate when you hit master Shadow, and can be quite usefull to full charge a smash attack and save time (and avoid being killed).

Top Bottom