• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

8th gen Pokemon for another Fighters Pass thread!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’d like them to go for one of the more unusual Pokémon so we can a very different fighter in smash like polteageist or esicue or centiscorch or anyone in the applin family

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Eh, I don't mind Cinderace's human design. Besides, I think it would be unique as a fighter because of the soccer motif. Personally, I think the uniqueness of a Pokémon fighter in Smash is more important than what type it is (after all, this was the reason Incineroar was chosen over Decidueye).

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Rillaboom is the only one of the final evolutions of the 3 starters with a design I sort of like... However, if another pokemon gets in as DLC I'd sooner take an older gen pokemon that is still relevant to modern pokemon such as Meowth. (I looked at all the designs for the new gen and non of them really clicked with me... I tried to find something I'd like to not go off topic)

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Out of all three final starter pokemon, I think Rillaboom is my pick because it uses sticks as melee weapons, while Greninja uses throwing weapons and Incineroar uses fists. For its final smash, it uses Drum Beating first. if it hits the fighters, it'll Dynamax and use Max Overgrowth.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eh, I don't mind Cinderace's human design. Besides, I think it would be unique as a fighter because of the soccer motif. Personally, I think the uniqueness of a Pokémon fighter in Smash is more important than what type it is (after all, this was the reason Incineroar was chosen over Decidueye).
in my case i dont mind the humanoid thing but i really dont like football thing

bare in mind though that was based on how unique sakurai thought he was gonna be, i mean incenroar has a few moves in common with other fighters so youd have to concluded that he saw decidueye as a falco clone or something

D

Deleted member

I know it's all about fun and design, and I would love to see Cinderace in there, but they have been listeing to fans a lot for thiss so I feel like they wouldn't put a 3rd Fire starter in as a rep lol. Could be wrong, but just want to throw that out there. Other than Cinderace, Intelleon looks like he'd make a cool option. He's based on a chameleon so they can probably incorporate invisibility into his kit and his signature move is essentially a sniper bullet.

Rillaboom could work too, I just don't like him too much lol, so other than the starters I could see Grimmsnarl, Toxtricity, Grapploct, Obstagoon, or possibly even Coalossal working. Honestly, I love Coalossal and would love to see him in there, though he is a bit bulky and doesn't look like he could move like a fighter lol. Toxtricity looks the most like he could fit in there and probably be pretty cool. Obstagoon I could see making it in, though, since it was the first Galarian variant shown as well as the first variant evolution shown so he's more widely known by people who haven't gotten the game and only have seen trailers so far.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well i just found shiny in the wild area, last few gens i keep finding shinies without trying its starting to freak me out

ironically i was looking for something a lot less rare

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Um, guys? Apparently there was a taken-down interview regarding TPC forcing 144 hour work weeks to ensure yearly releases for the main series games.

After looking on Twitter some more, apparently it turned out to be fake.
people like to spread misinformation for some reason

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Um, guys? Apparently there was a taken-down interview regarding TPC forcing 144 hour work weeks to ensure yearly releases for the main series games.

After looking on Twitter some more, apparently it turned out to be fake.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
in my case i dont mind the humanoid thing but i really dont like football thing

bare in mind though that was based on how unique sakurai thought he was gonna be, i mean incenroar has a few moves in common with other fighters so youd have to concluded that he saw decidueye as a falco clone or something
Another possible reason for why Sakurai chose Incineroar is that Incineroar is based off of Tiger Mask, both the influential wrestling manga/anime series and Japanese wrestlers who have donned the persona for multiple generations. Sakurai grew up in the age when wrestling and Tiger Mask was still popular in Japan, so it is not hard to imagine that he chose Incineroar not only because he wanted to make a pro wrestling type character but also to include a parody of this wrestling icon into Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Another possible reason for why Sakurai chose Incineroar is that Incineroar is based off of Tiger Mask, both the influential wrestling manga/anime series and Japanese wrestlers who have donned the persona for multiple generations. Sakurai grew up in the age when wrestling and Tiger Mask was still popular in Japan, so it is not hard to imagine that he chose Incineroar not only because he wanted to make a pro wrestling type character but also to include a parody of this wrestling icon into Smash.
that strikes me pure conjecture, do we have any reason to believe sakurai is a fan of this manga or that inceneroar is even based on it?

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
that strikes me pure conjecture, do we have any reason to believe sakurai is a fan of this manga or that inceneroar is even based on it?
Well I admit that the connection between Incineroar and Tiger Mask is mostly surface level, as both are tiger themed wrestlers who look to fight strong opponents and both have a history of being a heel, but have a respect for the young ones. It's not like the Pokemon Company is going to flat out admit that there was a direct influence.

In regards to Sakurai, he does like Jojo, but he doesn't really talk much about anime, manga, or other personal interests all that much. From what I can tell, the only time Sakurai has brought up anything about wrestling was with Incineroar, but being exposed to wrestling in his youth and being friends with Suda51 (who has worked on wrestling games before and whose favorite wrestler is Tiger Mask 1), there is a possibility these also factored into his final decision. But I'll admit that this is just an idea until Sakurai says more about it himself.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well I admit that the connection between Incineroar and Tiger Mask is mostly surface level, as both are tiger themed wrestlers who look to fight strong opponents and both have a history of being a heel, but have a respect for the young ones. It's not like the Pokemon Company is going to flat out admit that there was a direct influence.

In regards to Sakurai, he does like Jojo, but he doesn't really talk much about anime, manga, or other personal interests all that much. From what I can tell, the only time Sakurai has brought up anything about wrestling was with Incineroar, but being exposed to wrestling in his youth and being friends with Suda51 (who has worked on wrestling games before and whose favorite wrestler is Tiger Mask 1), there is a possibility these also factored into his final decision. But I'll admit that this is just an idea until Sakurai says more about it himself.
fair enough

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Wrestling characters were needed pretty badly. I remember marking the **** out when ‘roar hit the German Suplex for the first time

Top Bottom