• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

825 BPM -- Free Pizza and Drinks!! Ft. Teczero ;)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The Venue

425 Fawell Blvd
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137

http://www.cod.edu/Maps/local2.gif

The SRC Building
http://www.cod.edu/Maps/campus2.gif

The new venue is one floor above the SRC building. It is a conference room. More info/exact room location to come asap.

Schedule

Saturday -- July 21st, 2012
11:00 - 12:30 - Registration
12:30 - Brawl Doubles Bracket
12:30 – Melee Doubles Bracket
3:30 - Brawl Pools
3:30 – Melee Pools
4:00 – P:M Bracket
6:00 - Melee Singles Bracket
6:30 - Brawl Singles Bracket

Prices and Payouts

Venue Fee - $3

Main Events
Brawl Doubles - $5* per Person (*Could increase to $10 depending on interest)
Brawl Singles - $10 per Person
Melee Doubles - $5* per Person (*Could increase to $10 depending on interest)
Melee Singles - $10 per Person
Project:M Singles - $5 per Person

Payouts (Doubles)
1. 60%
2. 30%
3. 10%

Payouts (Doubles >20 teams)
1. 55%
2. 30%
3. 10%
4. 5%

Payouts (Singles <30 people)
1. 55%
2. 30%
3. 10%
4. 5%

Payouts (Singles >30 people)
1. 48%
2. 22%
3. 14%
4. 8%
5. 4%
5. 4%

Food

There will be FREE pizza and drinks at the venue! :starman: :starman:

There's also many fast food restaurants within ~5 minutes of driving distance. (Taco Bell/Chipotle/KFC/etc)

Brawl Rules

- 3 Stock

- 8 minute timer

- Items are set to "off" and "none"

- All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

- In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

- No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

- In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

- Suicide Rule - If a game ends in a suicide move, and the player that performed the suicide move is using Bowser or Ganon, that player wins the match. If the player is using another character than the victor is determined by who has the lowest percentage.

- Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

- Stalling and Pausing penalties will be determined by the TOs on a case to case basis.

-Important: There will be a Ledge Grab Limit at this Tournament. It is 35. If your match ends as a result of time, and a player has exceeded the Ledge Grab Limit, he or she loses that match.

Stages

Starters

Final Destination
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshis Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks

Delphino Plaza
Halberd
Castle Siege
Frigate
Lylat Cruise

-First stage is agreed upon by the two competitors through stage striking, random selection or mutual agreement and they must choose a Neutral (Starter) stage.

The Stage Striking Process:

The five neutral stages will be the only highlighted ones in the Stage Selection menu. Players can rock-paper-scissors to see who strikes first or mutual agree.

The first player strikes one stage from the 5 neutrals.

The second player strikes two stages from the remaining stages.

The first player strikes one more stage from the list. The remaining stage is the one that will be played for the first match of the set.

The Double Blind Selection Rule:

If both players are having a dispute as to how to select their characters for the first match (usually to avoid unfair counterpicking) the Double Blind Rule may be used. A neutral third party (usually a T.O) will be called in and both players will tell the T.O. their character. Then both players will pick their characters at the same time.

The Counterpicking Process:

Before the player who lost the previous match selects their stage, the opponent may designate a stage ban. That stage cannot be selected by that player for the entire set.
The player who lost the previous match will then select their stage for the next match.
The opponent may switch characters after the stage selection.
Once the opponent has selected their character, the player who lost the previous match may finally change their character if they desire.

Melee Rules

This will be a double elimination tournament.
Games will be 4 stock with an 8 minute timer.
Items are set to off.
Double Blind*: If elected.
Contest Port Priority*: If elected.
Neutral Start*: If elected.
Gentleman’s Clause*
Forced Character Selection*: Off
DSR*: Off
Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.
All sets will be best of 3 except for semis and finals which are best of 5.
Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
Friendly Fire will be on in teams
Wobbling is NOT banned
Ranking in pools is determined by (in order) i) set wins ii) game wins iii) game losses iv) head to head.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
Team Attack: ON.
Life Stealing is allowed.
If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.

SINGLES STAGES

Neutrals
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land (N64)

Counterpicks
Final Destination

DOUBLES STAGES

Neutrals
Yoshi's Story
Pokémon Stadium
Battlefield
Dream Land (N64)
Final Destination

Counterpicks
Rainbow cruise
Brinstar
Kongo Jungle 64

TO Contact

Sveet – 630 – 440 - 2185
Arty -- 773 - 633 – 4391

Parking/Setups

Parking is free and the lot is right outside the SRC building.
BRING SETUPS!

AllisBrawl Listing

Arty

Smash Lord
Also, there's a $3 venue fee, which will result in free pizza and drinks for everyone. Idk if you want to include that in the title or not Sveet.

Scythe

Smash Master
So did you guys get the okay for the room or we just grabbing it again?

Arty

Smash Lord
The cop said last time that the conference room is free on the weekends, but we'll definitely try to confirm it again, a few weeks beforehand as well.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm glad I'll be able to see you guys on the weekend after I get back from CA :).

Ben - You should totally come to this! It'd be great to see you again!

LADYBOY_TWO

Smash Rookie
do we have to be there by registration or can we show up before pools? also: is metaknight banned? (i know it probably would have stated this if he was, just wondering)

Arty

Smash Lord
MK is legal, and you can show up any time before pools starts.

Hunger/Marshall/Grimace, make sure you guys come to this!

/namesearch

kd-

Smash Lord
I would say that Pokemon Stadium is too often a ban or counter-pick to be called a neutral stage. FD is edging towards counter-pick status across all melee so that'll be cool. All in all, your tournament, your rules. Should be fun

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I would say that Pokemon Stadium is too often a ban or counter-pick to be called a neutral stage. FD is edging towards counter-pick status across all melee so that'll be cool. All in all, your tournament, your rules. Should be fun
FD has been one of the most commonly banned stages in the history of the game. Any match-up with chaingrabs will see it banned, not to mention pretty much any set with marth, falco, peach, ICs or ganon. Its commonly agreed on that if there were to be another stage banned, FD would be on the chopping block. Not that i'm looking to ban FD.

But those aren't really that important. The fact is that the difference between "neutral" and "counterpick" is very slim. I have made many posts about it, but I believe FD skews the stage strike balance more than PS does. It is becoming a more popular decision; I was watching a european tournament with armada and others and they were striking with PS instead of FD.

hunger!

Smash Champion
marsh and i will be here. I'll talk to G about it

i vote $20 teams.

someone team with me. i'm bad, so have broad shoulders. (kain/sago/arty/quik/ ... Fatal?)

Arty

Smash Lord
Nice good stuff Hunger, Gorman better make it too!

And fatal, where exactly are you going to be? downtown? Let us know and we can work out some ride situations for you.

kd-

Smash Lord
FD has been one of the most commonly banned stages in the history of the game. Any match-up with chaingrabs will see it banned, not to mention pretty much any set with marth, falco, peach, ICs or ganon. Its commonly agreed on that if there were to be another stage banned, FD would be on the chopping block. Not that i'm looking to ban FD.
But that's a more expanded version of what I said, not sure what your point is..

But those aren't really that important. The fact is that the difference between "neutral" and "counterpick" is very slim. I have made many posts about it, but I believe FD skews the stage strike balance more than PS does. It is becoming a more popular decision; I was watching a european tournament with armada and others and they were striking with PS instead of FD.
I don't think the difference between 'neutral' and 'counterpick' is slim, it means what it's called. I think that FD skews the stage strike balance - and the ban/counterpick choices for that matter - just as much as Pokemon Stadium does, or at the least enough to be called a counter pick instead. It's just currently a semi-radical notion that FD should be a counter pick stage and not a neutral, and this was the first tournament I've seen to call it such, which is why I said it was cool.

ORLY

Smash Master
if there's P:M teams i'd like to do double bowser with trail or kirk

KING KOOPAS

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I ban FD vs every character, even Samus. tbh I'd rather play Falco on FD than PS1 a lot of the time, however.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
But that's a more expanded version of what I said, not sure what your point is..

I don't think the difference between 'neutral' and 'counterpick' is slim, it means what it's called. I think that FD skews the stage strike balance - and the ban/counterpick choices for that matter - just as much as Pokemon Stadium does, or at the least enough to be called a counter pick instead. It's just currently a semi-radical notion that FD should be a counter pick stage and not a neutral, and this was the first tournament I've seen to call it such, which is why I said it was cool.
The only reason there even are counterpicks is because stage striking requires an odd number of stages to be balanced.

If we assume battlefield is the middle stage in both blastzone size and stage size, the other 4 stages can be viewed as larger or smaller relative to battlefield.

Pokemon Stadium completes the pattern perfectly, while Final Destination breaks the mold. Also, I think the symmetry between Fountain and Stadium is quite nice.

john!

Smash Hero
The only reason there even are counterpicks is because stage striking requires an odd number of stages to be balanced.

If we assume battlefield is the middle stage in both blastzone size and stage size, the other 4 stages can be viewed as larger or smaller relative to battlefield.

Pokemon Stadium completes the pattern perfectly, while Final Destination breaks the mold. Also, I think the symmetry between Fountain and Stadium is quite nice.
you see that line in the middle of your graph?

that's FD

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
question... is turning buffer on usually banned in P:M tournaments? if so, why? and if so, can we hypothetically turn it on if both players are okay with it?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you see that line in the middle of your graph?

that's FD
:pinkiepie:

question... is turning buffer on usually banned in P:M tournaments? if so, why? and if so, can we hypothetically turn it on if both players are okay with it?
Paraphrased from Strong Bad: It makes the game "too easy". As an example, turn buffering on and do unlimited falco multishines.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
makes sense. so do you think most people would be OK with turning buffer on if I was playing a less technically demanding character like Ganondorf, and just used it out of personal preference due to playing so much Brawl?

I know a lot of Melee players are just gonna tell me to deal with it, but buffering makes the game so much more accessible and enjoyable to me. And I know for a fact that it's the same way with quite a few other Brawl players as well.

Top Bottom