• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

800x600 HDTV?

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I have a friend (@ D Daftatt ) that is able to play Melee with absolutely no lag in HD because of the perfect resolution/screen size setup of the TV. It's awesome, and I want to do this for myself.

Question is, how would I know for sure first that the TV will have no latency? I have also been looking at projectors that output in 800x600 and was wondering if that would work.

If you guys know any TV's that work for sure, let me know, and try to link them below! Any method of input is fine, component, S-Video, as long as there will be NO LAG!

Thanks!

Play on a CRT. If you need 0 lag and a better picture, you could use an s-video cable. It's slightly better. You won't notice the improvement without a direct paused comparison though. Also play on a Wii rather than a Gamecube to improve the image quality too (Wii s-video http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv286/EPsilon933/youtube/WiiS-Video.png vs Gamecube composite http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv286/EPsilon933/youtube/GameCubeComposite.png )

Some CRT monitors work. They never have their own speakers. You'll need this cable to play on a CRT. You'll also need to get the Wii to display in 480p so you can ever see the screen http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=wii_vga_cable-_-1PU-0005-00012-_-Product But still, it's 480p, the best image you can get

Wii and Gamecube can't ouput a signal better than 480p. It's not technically HD. But it does look better than 480i

All HDTVs lag. They have to spend a small amount of time to simply process the image. Upscaling and deinterlacing images add a lot of time needed to process the image. If you have to play on one or a projector, use VGA/compoment cables to give it a non-interlaced signal

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Okay, thank you. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure CRT TV is what Daftatt uses. But, up until now, I thought CRT TV's were just the old TV's, not something different.
EDIT: Oh, they are. Well now I'm a bit confused. So I should just find a CRT TV that also has S-Video? I already have S-Video cables for both systems.

Last edited:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What you are looking for is an LCD EDTV with a native 480p resolution. Those haven't been in production for at least a decade, though, since they quickly fell into obsolescence with the development of HD 720p and 1080p resolutions.

Okay, thank you. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure CRT TV is what Daftatt uses. But, up until now, I thought CRT TV's were just the old TV's, not something different.
EDIT: Oh, they are. Well now I'm a bit confused. So I should just find a CRT TV that also has S-Video? I already have S-Video cables for both systems.
Find a CRT TV with an s-video input. If it's worth the hassle and extra spenting, you could buy a CRT monitor + Wii VGA cables + speakers + headphonejack-to-RCA adapters. It'll probably cost like $40 extra and a mess of wires for the 480p quality

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Yeah, my TV is not HD, it's just 640x480 LCD, so no upscaling lag (the major component of lag in HDTVs). Next I use component cables as opposed to composite so it reduces the analog digital conversion lag and looks nicer, all in all I've measured the lag to be about 3-6 ms which is within the range that no smasher on earth will be affected by it. Some LCDs even with 480p resolution still have a noticeable analog-digital conversion lag, this is just model dependent and is determined by how fast the image processor in the TV is, mine happens to be very fast.

Since an LCD TV needs a digital signal to send the information on what luminosity the pixels on the screen should be, component is the way to go since all 3 colors are split in reference to luma (which pretty much just means that each of the 3 video lines have an individual color). HOWEVER, on a CRT the electron beam that creates the image on your screen is directly created from the analog signal (just the one yellow cable), so it's best to just use the normal composite video on CRTs, as making the TV actually reform the signal out of 3 component lines would add lag, not that most CRTs have component cable inputs to begin with, as it wouldn't really do anything. S-video is okay, but the color resolution, in effect what makes my TV look so good isn't going to improve much over composite.

If you get a 480P monitor you NEED to get it with component inputs or else your video will look terrible, and there will be noticeable lag. And you should control stick flick test on the character select menu to make sure there isn't noticeable lag, or else you'll end up like Shadic with his laggy LCD.

Last edited:
Next I use component cables as opposed to composite so it reduces the analog digital conversion lag and looks nicer
Component cable video signals are analog. It removes the deinterlacing part of the video processing. Or is not having to deinterlace part of the reduction of processing in conversion of analog to digital?

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Component cable video signals are analog. It removes the deinterlacing part of the video processing. Or is not having to deinterlace part of the reduction of processing in conversion of analog to digital?
Yeah, digital televisions need color luminosity information for each pixel so they can display an image. With a normal composite video line, all that data is on one line in an analog continuous waveform and has to be processed into discrete digital information for red blue and green colors so the TV can properly light it's pixels. That's the main part of the analog-digital conversion. Component cables already separate color information for red, green, and blue, or at least in reference so the Television doesn't have to process out the colors.

Top Bottom