• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

8 Player Smash: Should it return?

8playersmasharticle.jpg

For the first time in the series, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U allowed for up to 8 players in a single match. It was an awesome, heavily under rated feature and I personally believe it deserves a second shot. While the feature was incredibly hectic in free-for-alls or with more than two teams, I believe there's room for improvement and serious potential in 3v3 or 4v4.

One way I've thought about this is with an added option of a "tag" system, somewhat akin to Party Matches in Dragon Ball FighterZ. For an example, in a 4v4 match, only two players on each team would be active at a given time. The rest are invincible but can't do anything. The active players can tag their inactive teammates in, becoming inactive in the process. Imagine a transformation character, but with any combination of characters, and each "form" controlled by a separate player.

Even without any improvements, the mode is just plain fun in a less serious environment, and it makes Smash even better for big parties without needing too many copies of the game or complicated rotations. Of all the modes from previous Smash games, this is the one I'm hoping to see return the most.

Author's Note: Do you want this mode to return? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

I feel like if it did return, it should have online support. Sure it would likely be laggy as all hell, but I think if you have the right friends it wouldn't be so bad. Of course, the reason why I say it should have online support is because I think with that, there would be more 3v3 or 4v4 tournies available.

My only problem with 8-player Smash is the Ice Climbers dilemma. If the Ice Climbers don't return, then 8-player Smash is pretty much safe to return. However, if they do come back, we could end up with a performance issue dilemma if 8 sets of them are present; you not only have to take into account the 8 players (16 in the case of the Ice Climbers), but also the amount of Poke Ball Pokemon, and the kinds of Assist Trophies that can potentially pop up.

There's a rather good reason why Smash Wii U removed Ridley and Metal Face if 5+ players are fighting, as their presence could end up pushing the Wii U to its limits during an 8-player match.

Anyway, the Nintendo Switch may be the Wii U's successor, but I'm finding it rather doubtful that it'll be able to properly handle 8 sets of Ice Climbers, along with the presence of Poke Ball Pokemon and Assist Trophies, without seeing the game performance be hindered. 8-player Smash has to be fully compatible with everyone, period, so if even one fighter causes issues when 8 sets of them are present, then something has to go.

Last edited:
I personally hope that 8-Player Smash returns. It's great if you have a lot of friends, or are at a party.

Furthermore, it's not just strictly for '8-people'. 8-Player Smash is, by extension, 5, 6, and 7 player Smash. It's a way to play Smash with more than 4 people, which has been so helpful for me, personally.

Also, I've had plenty of fun with 8-Player Smash even with less than 5 people. There are some fun things you can do with the mode, probably my favorite of all of Smash 4's additions, personally.

I hope that if it returns we can play on every stage available and have the options to turn hazards on and off. I also did not like that some 8-player stages were extremely small.

I loved the concept of 8 Player Smash. My only issue was its over inclusion in Classic Mode. Beating Classic on 8 and 9.0 got incredibly tedious because of the constant 8 Player Smash battles. I absolutely despised it.

Of course, this is more of an issue with Classic Mode, but still. I would like to see it return but I want it out of all the other modes unless it's optional.

Let's see about Ice Climbers in 8-player Smash on Handheld mode though, not sure how much weaker the console is compared to console mode. Also make stages designed for 8-player smash. Extra stages optimizations would also include removing some walls and ceilings (If they return New Pork City), making some stages more flatter such as Norfair.

If Ice Climbers return, it probably won't. If Ice Climbers DON'T return, it probably will. Ice Climbers being two characters joined as a single fighter could be chaotic because that'd lead up to 16 players in total on an 8 player battlefield. (although Rosalina and Luma are about the same, and they were allowed on 8 player Smash, so maybe it could work.)

If Ice Climbers return, it probably won't. If Ice Climbers DON'T return, it probably will. Ice Climbers being two characters joined as a single fighter could be chaotic because that'd lead up to 16 players in total on an 8 player battlefield. (although Rosalina and Luma are about the same, and they were allowed on 8 player Smash, so maybe it could work.)
But Sakurai said they worked fine on the Wii U version. It was the 3DS limitations that caused it.

I feel 8-Player Smash is almost guaranteed to return. There's no reason they would put all that effort into a mode that they've wanted since Melee, then cut it despite huge popularity.

Ice Climbers aren't a problem. They'll either use optimized 8-Player models like other higher resource intensive characters or simply be disabled in 8-Player Smash like Miis were in online, or how certain stages were grayed out in 8-Player on Wii U.

There's no reason for a one or the other and I doubt Sakurai would get rid of an entire mode for one character, or cut a character entirely because of one mode.

I won't say Ice Climbers are guaranteed but if they aren't returning I doubt it would be because of 8-Player.

Last edited:
the 4v4 and 3v3 stuff were awesome and i love free for alls. If it goes online they should restrict to only the bigger stages in someway and make it a timed stock like how fg does it

Top Bottom