• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Well the big thing is is that this balance patch COULD potentially buff or severely nerf characters. I honestly think Cloud will have decent MU spread tho

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Nothing so far...

But if I had to guess, I'd say Sheik is bad...just like almost everyone else...
Well, if anything, Sheik can't afford to camp Cloud with needles because of limit break. So at least we have that. A chargeable KO punch that will bring opponents to us, without having to rely in spamming projectiles (which btw, we also do have). :D

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
This is out there but what if Cecil would have been the FF rep? Maybe the 3DS limitations made it so he couldnt, because he would switch between light and dark. Personally only 4 FF characters would have had a chance.
Warrior of Light
Cecil Harvey
Cloud Strife
Black Mage

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't see how that's a valid reason.

If anything, it makes it harder for Cloud to charge it.
How come? Unless it's interruptible and it goes away (like Samus/M2/Greninja's B neutral) which I don't think will be the case, I'm sure it's a lot more pressure for Sheik to know we're building up potential "KO punches", than Sheik's needles on Cloud.

Of course, that doesn't eliminate the possibility of being pummeled all the way to the North Crater by a string of Fairs. :(

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
But what if Shieks needles are nerfed? (that would be nice) either way, Cloud probably has more kill moves than Sheik so thats something I guess

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
How come? Unless it's interruptible and it goes away (like Samus/M2/Greninja's B neutral) which I don't think will be the case, I'm sure it's a lot more pressure for Sheik to know we're building up potential "KO punches", than Sheik's needles on Cloud.
What would be the point? Sheik could still approach by rolling while charging her needles.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
This is out there but what if Cecil would have been the FF rep? Maybe the 3DS limitations made it so he couldnt, because he would switch between light and dark. Personally only 4 FF characters would have had a chance.
Warrior of Light
Cecil Harvey
Cloud Strife
Black Mage
The light/dark mechanic would never make it in because that's Transformation. Sakurai doesn't want that anymore. Black Mage is now even less interesting because we have Robin now (even though Black Mage would be way cooler).

I do want Warrior of Light though, that'd be nice to see but I doubt we'll get any other FF character.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
The light/dark mechanic would never make it in because that's Transformation. Sakurai doesn't want that anymore. Black Mage is now even less interesting because we have Robin now (even though Black Mage would be way cooler).

I do want Warrior of Light though, that'd be nice to see but I doubt we'll get any other FF character.
Thats what Im saying. Honestly Cecil would have made a lot of sense and would have been a super interesting character, same WOL or Terra. Cloud is awesome but lets be realistic. Cecil, or Terra probably would have made it in over every other character aside from him. I think Cecil would have had a really good chance had transformations remained a thing.

solidren

Smash Rookie
NNID
RenStrider580
Thats what Im saying. Honestly Cecil would have made a lot of sense and would have been a super interesting character, same WOL or Terra. Cloud is awesome but lets be realistic. Cecil, or Terra probably would have made it in over every other character aside from him. I think Cecil would have had a really good chance had transformations remained a thing.
What if he switched between light/dark depending on what move he would do? Kinda like in dissidia. So it's not a real transformation.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Anyway,... :4diddy: might be a bit of an uphill battle. Seeing as he's a really in-your-face character. And any whiff from us, will result in getting punished hard. Cloud seems like a rather fast striker on the ground, and slower in the air (except Dair, which will be great for breaking juggles, and Uair which apparently elevates Cloud?).

Of course, :4pikachu:might also be annoying.

solidren

Smash Rookie
NNID
RenStrider580
Anyway,... :4diddy: might be a bit of an uphill battle. Seeing as he's a really in-your-face character. And any whiff from us, will result in getting punished hard. Cloud seems like a rather fast striker on the ground, and slower in the air (except Dair, which will be great for breaking juggles, and Uair which apparently elevates Cloud?).

Of course, :4pikachu:might also be annoying.
Thats what Im thinking. Characters that are faster than him will probably give cloud trouble I'd think. I have a theory on how cloud will play like...

solidren

Smash Rookie
NNID
RenStrider580
I'm thinking Cloud will play in a way where it's crucial for you to control the pace of the fight. Smash attacks are solely for punishing, and you try to just slowly rack up damage with normal attacks while charging limit break. If approached then use specials and maybe grabs. Once they are high enough in percent, use limit break specials to kill. Alternatively, if you are losing, play a keep away game with blade beam while charging limit break so you can turn the fight around or use limit break up special. Keep in mind that this is a "rough draft" of sorts. What do you guys think?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Sheik camping I don't think is a massive issue. Needles Max range isn't that incredible (they catch landings more than camp really) and nobody wants to run from Cloud for too long because yes, Limit Break DOES look that good. That being said it's Sheik, it won't be favorable because it's Sheik lol.

He has data identical-ish to Ike so I think he'll round himself out fine going by what we know right now. I can see him doing decently against chars like Pika and Mario and whatnot potentially, but we'll have to see.

Cloud seems to have really good smashes overall (outside of USmash which just looks okay but we'll see). FSmash looks a bit slow but powerful AND multihit (this is good). DSmash looks ridiculous, KO'd Mac and he wasn't even flashing red. It's like Mii Gunner DSmash but with a CRAZY GOOD angle.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sheik camping I don't think is a massive issue. Needles Max range isn't that incredible (they catch landings more than camp really) and nobody wants to run from Cloud for too long because yes, Limit Break DOES look that good. That being said it's Sheik, it won't be favorable because it's Sheik lol.

He has data identical-ish to Ike so I think he'll round himself out fine going by what we know right now. I can see him doing decently against chars like Pika and Mario and whatnot potentially, but we'll have to see.

Cloud seems to have really good smashes overall (outside of USmash which just looks okay but we'll see). FSmash looks a bit slow but powerful AND multihit (this is good). DSmash looks ridiculous, KO'd Mac and he wasn't even flashing red. It's like Mii Gunner DSmash but with a CRAZY GOOD angle.
I mentioned my thoughts before, basically he's something of an air fighter because his spacing game on the ground is awkward, instead the purpose of his ground game is mainly self-defence or forcing the opponent to go airborne.

He also has two quick meteors, with fair looking like it's easily the fastest forward-facing one in the game. Basically, once Cloud has the advantage, he can continuously punish landings until the opponent makes a correct guess to escape.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace

D-smash is extremely fast from the looks of it too. I think Up-smash will be very strong but it only seems to cover the front. Looks okay. His air attacks, mostly Up-air, look amazing though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
D-smash is extremely fast from the looks of it too. I think Up-smash will be very strong but it only seems to cover the front. Looks okay. His air attacks, mostly Up-air, look amazing though.
I know, we may not have an idea of it's strength but the hitbox seems to start VERY close to Cloud, giving him an option if the opponent penetrates his bubble in the air. And all while looking like he's playing Blitz, er I mean volleyball.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I am going to start making the list. I will tag those who are helping creating the thread and meta game.

RebelXII RebelXII let me know if you notice anything missing once i have made the list.

Last edited:

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
So, what are some early predictions on match ups for cloud?
Sheik will more then likely beat Cloud due to him having needles that can cancel Clouds limit breaks thus making Cloud have to start all over. Plus Sheik has better frame data and a better aerial game. Mario mains will go for the D-throw to U-tilt combo which will do heavy amounts of damage. So if Cloud is heavy, this could be a problem. Not to mention Clouds U-special is like Ike's, so Mario could do this

I think Cloud will be able to deal with Rosalina and the Luma cause he has a lot of range and power. But all these of course are just wild guess's.

I am going to start making the list. I will tag those who are helping creating the thread and meta game.

RebelXII RebelXII let me know if you notice anything missing once i have made the list.
I can make the meta game and or the techniques thread. Call for people who can find frame data, have capture devices for replay and gameplay analysis, those who can work with me on the meta game thread @Pacman9 Strong-Arm Strong-Arm and anyone else, and those who will work on the first Cloud guide with me and Strong-Arm Strong-Arm . Anyone who will want to help is welcome BlueX BlueX

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Sheik will more then likely beat Cloud due to him having needles that can cancel Clouds limit breaks thus making Cloud have to start all over. Plus Sheik has better frame data and a better aerial game. Mario mains will go for the D-throw to U-tilt combo which will do heavy amounts of damage. So if Cloud is heavy, this could be a problem. Not to mention Clouds U-special is like Ike's, so Mario could do this

I think Cloud will be able to deal with Rosalina and the Luma cause he has a lot of range and power. But all these of course are just wild guess's.

I can make the meta game and or the techniques thread. Call for people who can find frame data, have capture devices for replay and gameplay analysis, those who can work with me on the meta game thread @Pacman9 Strong-Arm Strong-Arm and anyone else, and those who will work on the first Cloud guide with me and Strong-Arm Strong-Arm . Anyone who will want to help is welcome BlueX BlueX
Though it seems like Cloud's Up-B can be cancelled to act more like Marth's.

Which reminds me... Cloud has no horizontal recovery it seems. He'll have to recover low a lot of times which could potentially be bad against edge guarding.

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
Though it seems like Cloud's Up-B can be cancelled to act more like Marth's.

Which reminds me... Cloud has no horizontal recovery it seems. He'll have to recover low a lot of times which could potentially be bad against edge guarding.
I stated earlier that we are gonna have to hope Cross slash will give that horizontal option we desperately need. That or the Limit breaks charge fast.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Warrior of Light
Cecil Harvey
Cloud Strife
Black Mage
I don't see how you did not include anyone from FFVI (unless you just forgot). That game probably has the highest number of viable picks for uniqueness and moveset reasons.
Though ironicly the two characters one could argue for the most as main characters fall under the same magic knight archetype that is already delivered by Robin.
Still, I doubt too many people would've been upset to see Locke, Edgar or Sabin.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Sooooo many variables.

@_@

Smooth Criminal
That about sums it up.

Still, speculation is fun regardless. I think the main things Cloud would have in his favor against fast, light characters is his strength and ability to return pressure for pressure. I mean, sorry again for bringing up Shulk, but he IS another blond swordsman with a large blade and adaptable tactics: Shulk vs. Sheik actually isn't that bad compared to some of Sheik's other "lol, gg" MUs. The fact that Shulk racks up damage so fast (especially in Buster) and kills so early does make Sheik have to play flawlessly. Granted, we still suffer quite a bit once she gets in, but the sheer range on our aerials and their KO potential off-stage also messes things up. I could see Cloud having similar advantages, as well as a pressure option Shulk doesn't have. Plus, Limit Break enhanced projectile looks deadly for Sheik, particularly if we can catch her landing with it.

I could see Link being troublesome for Cloud, mostly because his projectile game is largely superior with its variety, and because the frames otherwise look competitive. Tether grabs also cause trouble...

I have a feeling our game will actually favor spikes much more than most other character. It could easily turn into a game of "get them over the void, read their recovery and meteor them." But who knows, by the time he's out, he could have the 5th slowest spike for all we know. :/

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I don't see how you did not include anyone from FFVI (unless you just forgot). That game probably has the highest number of viable picks for uniqueness and moveset reasons.
Though ironicly the two characters one could argue for the most as main characters fall under the same magic knight archetype that is already delivered by Robin.
Still, I doubt too many people would've been upset to see Locke, Edgar or Sabin.
Opps, I meant to include Terra as the potential FF6 rep. Sorry bout that

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
hate to rain on ya'll and your parade, but

There are a lot of stickied threads that exist on the Cloud subforum for this express purpose. Frame data/mechanics, general Q&A, MU discussion, etc...it's already there.

What I would do is ensure Strong-Arm Strong-Arm 's existing thread acts as an index of sorts to these points of discussion, not as the primary dump for all this info. Keeps things neat and organized, and keeps it focused on very specific traits about the character.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
I don't know if you all have heard, but apparently there's a rumor that the direct and or Cloud will be released on December 3rd.
Brb praying

Last edited:

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
hate to rain on ya'll and your parade, but

There are a lot of stickied threads that exist on the Cloud subforum for this express purpose. Frame data/mechanics, general Q&A, MU discussion, etc...it's already there.

What I would do is ensure Strong-Arm Strong-Arm 's existing thread acts as an index of sorts to these points of discussion, not as the primary dump for all this info. Keeps things neat and organized, and keeps it focused on very specific traits about the character.

Smooth Criminal
I think it would make more sense if we assemble a team and get people into positions.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
And if that's your intent, great idea! More people onboard, the better!

I was just envisioning a structured index of sorts. Like, complete with a hyperlinked table of contents with collapse-tags that contain links to very specific articles in the subforum.

That's all.

Smooth Criminal

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I don't know if you all have heard, but apparently there's a rumor that the direct and or Cloud will be released on December 3rd.
Brb praying
Well, there was a false leak that was proved untrue, but it's still possible, and it makes sense to get it released while the hype is so real. Also good to get him out before the holiday season goes into full swing.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
And if that's your intent, great idea! More people onboard, the better!

I was just envisioning a structured index of sorts. Like, complete with a hyperlinked table of contents with collapse-tags that contain links to very specific articles in the subforum.

That's all.

Smooth Criminal
This also sounds like a good idea. A index thread would help people to get to important threads or guides quicker instead of having to search for it.

I might create one.

I will see on what i can do for now. I will tag Strong-Arm Strong-Arm again to let him know what is happening. :)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Cloud's recovery at present seems to hinge upon the opponent not being willing to go up against his meteor fair. Though Blade Beam could be used to harass onstage opponents while also reorienting himself if need be.

Cloud losing Limit Break charge on hit seems very contradictory to how it works in FFVII, plus there's the whole matter of him seeming to get charge from landing specials. Considering it seems to take a whole 6 seconds to charge limit from empty, and that Limit isn't necessarily something you want ALL the time like Giant Punch/Charge Shot, losing charge on hit seems a bit strict.

Top Bottom