• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I mean, I knew it was Blade Beam right from the get-go, even with the alteration. I guess I didn't think to question how the animation was changed, or why. Meh.

I blame it on getting old.

Smooth Criminal

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I mean, I knew it was Blade Beam right from the get-go, even with the alteration. I guess I didn't think to question how the animation was changed, or why. Meh.

I blame it on getting old.

Smooth Criminal
I sure as hell didn't 'cause I never played the game. :awesome:

Except it is a literal blade beam... and I recognized Cross Slash... Probably because of the kanji since it doesn't appear on any of Cloud's other moves in Dissidia.

They're wrong about side b, its cross slash and the move they think is side b is fair. Down B is too charge the limit break and then it turns into finishing touch.
Not to mention that they forgot Nair even existed and he said Cloud uses the blunt side of the Buster Sword for dash attack when he's pushing with the edge. Hey we're all human; we make mistakes. Still, I think the idea of Limit Breaks being a passive charge meter mechanic and Finishing Touch being a Down Special might actually work put really well. In other fighting games, building meter lets you use EX attacks like Ryu using an EX Hadouken is different than a light, medium, and heavy Hadouken. In a way, it rewards you for playing well and makes you work for stronger combo finishers. I'm also pretty sure this mechanic is in other games like hack 'n' slash games have super modes like DMC's Devil Trigger that passively buffs you, lets you use DT-only moves, or even alters a move's property like Stinger becoming a multi-hit drill-like move instead of a one-hit dash stab or bullet time in Max Payne and Trevor's rage in Grand Theft Auto V as they're all meter dependent.

I mean, what would you prefer? A Limit Break charge for Down Special or a Limit Break that happens after you build meter by attacking allowing Cloud to setup say, Dtilt to EX Climhazzard and also having Finishing Touch as a Down Special?

Edit: Actually, isn't that how you build meter or whatever it's called in Dissidia? I know you can build meter by attacking in Final Fantasy VII, but if that's the case, then it should be a passive effect for Cloud as it's a game mechanic Final Fantasy VII has and was used a Dissidia, a fighting game which like many other fighting games, lets you build meter.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Actually, isn't that how you build meter or whatever it's called in Dissidia? I know you can build meter by attacking in Final Fantasy VII, but if that's the case, then it should be a passive effect for Cloud as it's a game mechanic Final Fantasy VII has and was used a Dissidia, a fighting game which like many other fighting games, lets you build meter.
Actually, dealing damage, taking damage, and destroying the environment all generate EX force, which upon collection would fill your EX meter (in Dissidia.)
But I like the idea of being able to manually charge it, since it affects all of your specials, and seems to let you use Finishing Touch, which I want to be really powerful.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Eh, I'd rather have Finishing Touch as a Special I can use whenever and be able to empower my moves passively. To each their own, I guess.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Knowing Sakurai, the mechanic will call back to the original game, and the Limit Gauge will charge automatically based on taking damage, dealing damage, or both, and once full, will override the next Limit compatible move Cloud uses, bringing out the Limit version instead of the regular one.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Well, I'd be inclined to agree if the trailer didn't show him actually charging up.
But we've seen his three taunts, and it wasn't part of some cinematic.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
I sure as hell didn't 'cause I never played the game. :awesome:

Except it is a literal blade beam... and I recognized Cross Slash... Probably because of the kanji since it doesn't appear on any of Cloud's other moves in Dissidia.

Not to mention that they forgot Nair even existed and he said Cloud uses the blunt side of the Buster Sword for dash attack when he's pushing with the edge. Hey we're all human; we make mistakes. Still, I think the idea of Limit Breaks being a passive charge and Finishing Touch being a Down Special might actually work put really well. In other fighting games, building meter lets you use EX attacks like Ryu using an EX Hadouken is different than a light, medium, and heavy Hadouken. In a way, it rewards you for playing well and makes you work for stronger combo finishers. I'm also pretty sure this mechanic is in other games like hack 'n' slash games have super modes like DMC's Devil Trigger that passively buffs you, lets you use DT-only moves, or even alters a move's property like Stinger becoming a multi-hit drill-like move instead of a one-hit dash stab or bullet time in Max Payne and Trevor's rage in Grand Theft Auto V as they're all meter dependent.

I mean, what would you prefer? A Limit Break charge for Down Special or a Limit Break that happens after you build meter by attacking allowing Cloud to setup say, Dtilt to EX Climhazzard and also having Finishing Touch as a Down Special?

Edit: Actually, isn't that how you build meter or whatever it's called in Dissidia? I know you can build meter by attacking in Final Fantasy VII, but if that's the case, then it should be a passive effect for Cloud as it's a game mechanic Final Fantasy VII has and was used a Dissidia, a fighting game which like many other fighting games, lets you build meter.
Meter in fight games isn't a passive charge; it is dominantly active as you normally get more meter for attack and insta-blocking compared to getting hit. In other words, meter is built through engagement, and it is usually the person dominating the engagement who gets more. Meter very rarely recharges over time, with some exceptions, which is what a passive charge would be (not to be confused with reloading moves, etc.) The other thing is that in these games, and even action games like DMC, is that there is a specific input to use a move or activate a mechanic that utilizes meter. For example, in Street Fighter, the input for an EX hadouken is physically different from any other Hadoukens. Smash does not have that (unless you're Ryu). I mean, yeah we have a meter character without charging in Little Mac, but his meter only changes 1 move, as opposed to 4.

With a charge, you can at least plan out your moves and which specific power-up special you want to use and when, as opposed to "oh, my limit break filled up so the very next special will be power-up, even if I DON'T want to use the power-up version of that specific move."

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm gonna guess his logo will be the meteor from the FFVII logo, a Buster Sword, or if they wanted a general FF logo in case more FF characters get into Smash in the future, it'd be a crystal.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Seeing that the announcement was specifically for Final Fantasy VII, I'm betting on the Meteor logo.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hell, speaking of details, the part with Wario where he nabbed his bike? That could have also been a nod to both the bike minigame in FF7, and the fact that Cloud rode one in Advent Children. Just thought of that today when I was at work, hahaha.

Smooth Criminal
I figured that out the 2nd or 3rd time I watched the trailer lol.

I tend to keep on watching Newcomer trailers over and over again for the first 3-7 days they're released for some reason.

ThatOnePeachMain

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicNerdFighter
I figured that out the 2nd or 3rd time I watched the trailer lol.

I tend to keep on watching Newcomer trailers over and over again for the first 3-7 days they're released for some reason.
When I saw that the 3rd time I watched it, I wondered how I hadn't noticed it before. Then I remembered it was because I was pulling an Etika, freaking out at the announcement.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It's true that it was really focused on FF7, the meteor thing is probable.
At least, that's what is used here, although I was certain that it wasn't confirmed yet: http://smashbros-miiverse.com/characters

Oh, also, about the Limit Break meter, considering the trailer, I also think that it will be a charge as he is... Well, charging it.

I don't why, but I have the feeling that this charging possibility is here to give the turn based feeling. "Do you attack repeatedly or do you charge for a bigger blow later?"
Maybe someone mentioned that already. Didn't read the thread in fact.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just changed my avi to my favorite character from the Compilation of FF7 series in the spirit of Cloud making it in the game.

Also, as for what the series logo should be, I think it should represent FF as a whole and not just FF7 because other FF characters might make it in the game in future installments. Probably the crystal logo would suffice.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I think as swordplay became more and more focal to the Zelda series, they just made the blade longer to facilitate easier combat.
The discussion as it relates to Cloud is moot to me since I'll be using the Cloudy Wolf (Advent Children) look almost exclusively.
And you can bet I'll be using the victory pose to close out every single match XD
Oh my god, it's in??? I forgot all about it!
Saw this earlier and just wanted to share is all

The kid in me is still giddy over seeing it a reality.
I've been looking for a pic like this to use as my avi... I steal it.
Just changed my avi to my favorite character from the Compilation of FF7 series in the spirit of Cloud making it in the game.

Also, as for what the series logo should be, I think it should represent FF as a whole and not just FF7 because other FF characters might make it in the game in future installments. Probably the crystal logo would suffice.
Well if I remember correctly, it only did say Smash X Final Fantasy 7 specifically so I would guess a meteor at this point. If they do add more I can picture the crystal being the universal logo in the future. I can only really picture Cecil or Noctis making it in IF they even want to add more. Cecil cuz Square has a soft spot for him and Noctis cuz he's drawn in a lot of fan boy hype it seems.

Project Crysis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cryis45
3DS FC
1521-5275-7397
I think just to celebrate Cloud's release I'm gonna watch Advent Children for the 100th time and play through FF7 again.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I guess it's time to get off my arse and finally resume my FF7 run that I haven't went through since January of 2013.

I also watched Advent Children once but TBH it's not all that amazing. Watching it once was good enough for me.

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
User was warned for this post
sora woulda been the better choice because nintendo have this obsession to appealing to babies before gamers with money. plus sora has had a significant history with nintendo. plus hes ridiculous enough to fit in the smash universe.

but hey, nintendo needs that ff7 fanboy money. with iwata gone, the inherent love of video games might be taking a back seat over cash money deals to get the company out the red (again).

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
sora woulda been the better choice because nintendo have this obsession to appealing to babies before gamers with money. plus sora has had a significant history with nintendo. plus hes ridiculous enough to fit in the smash universe.

but hey, nintendo needs that ff7 fanboy money. with iwata gone, the inherent love of video games might be taking a back seat over cash money deals to get the company out the red (again).
Shots fired.gif

No, but seriously.
Reggie What's Wrong With You.gif

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
The idea that FF7, an RPG game that is to date one of the most relevant RPGs for the genre and like, everybody who had a PS1 and WHO DIDN'T, had an idea of the game, yeah. Definitely not for the love of the medium or anything.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I also watched Advent Children once but TBH it's not all that amazing. Watching it once was good enough for me.
For SHAME. I'm half tempted to bust out the Reggie GIFs, but I'll leave it to one per page.
Thus, your punishment:
Bowser Jr BONK.gif

That said, have you seen the extended Blu-Ray version?
Meter in fight games isn't a passive charge; it is dominantly active as you normally get more meter for attack and insta-blocking compared to getting hit. In other words, meter is built through engagement, and it is usually the person dominating the engagement who gets more. Meter very rarely recharges over time, with some exceptions, which is what a passive charge would be (not to be confused with reloading moves, etc.) The other thing is that in these games, and even action games like DMC, is that there is a specific input to use a move or activate a mechanic that utilizes meter. For example, in Street Fighter, the input for an EX hadouken is physically different from any other Hadoukens. Smash does not have that (unless you're Ryu). I mean, yeah we have a meter character without charging in Little Mac, but his meter only changes 1 move, as opposed to 4.

With a charge, you can at least plan out your moves and which specific power-up special you want to use and when, as opposed to "oh, my limit break filled up so the very next special will be power-up, even if I DON'T want to use the power-up version of that specific move."
So. Much. This.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
For SHAME. I'm half tempted to bust out the Reggie GIFs, but I'll leave it to one per page.
Thus, your punishment:
View attachment 83021
That said, have you seen the extended Blu-Ray version?
Yeah, I believe it was the Complete Edition I saw. It's not that I didn't like the movie or anything but it just felt sorta long and stuff. It really only picked up towards the ending parts IMO. All in all, it was decent and stuff but I never had an urge to watch the movie a 2nd time.

Most of the Compilation of FF7 is sort of like that for me. Crisis Core and FF7 itself were pretty much the only things I really liked about it.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Yeah, I believe it was the Complete Edition I saw. It's not that I didn't like the movie or anything but it just felt sorta long and stuff. It really only picked up towards the ending parts IMO. All in all, it was decent and stuff but I never had an urge to watch the movie a 2nd time.

Most of the Compilation of FF7 is sort of like that for me. Crisis Core and FF7 itself were pretty much the only things I really liked about it.
I must be a hardcore fan or something. I have three versions of the movie, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, and various versions of the original game. Maybe that's why I have no Tifa in my life?

Project Crysis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cryis45
3DS FC
1521-5275-7397
I must be a hardcore fan or something. I have three versions of the movie, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, and various versions of the original game. Maybe that's why I have no Tifa in my life?
Dirge of Cerberus was an amazing game. I wish I had a Tifa in my life :(

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Nah, that's cool. You're passionate about FF7 which is great. FF7 isn't my favorite in the series but I still enjoy it a lot.

FFX is where my true passion lies. Unlike other FF games that I played later on as a teenager, I grew up on 10 so there's a nostalgic element to my love for the game.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Nah, that's cool. You're passionate about FF7 which is great. FF7 isn't my favorite in the series but I still enjoy it a lot.

FFX is where my true passion lies. Unlike other FF games that I played later on as a teenager, I grew up on 10 so there's a nostalgic element to my love for the game.
Same with me and 7, and that's cool. Even then, if I had to spend a Final Fantasy realm to spend the rest of my life in, I'd much rather go to Ivalice from XII. That fusion of old-school design with futuristic tech, MAN! Love it!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Same with me and 7, and that's cool. Even then, if I had to spend a Final Fantasy realm to spend the rest of my life in, I'd much rather go to Ivalice from XII. That fusion of old-school design with futuristic tech, MAN! Love it!
Well if your talking about where I would want to live, then that's a whole different story lol. I don't think any FF would be a good place to live given all the wacky stuff that happens lol. I'd rather live in the FE or PKMN verse.

I think we all have a special attachment to the 1st FF game we play. X is obviously that attachment for as I mentioned due to it being one of the few games I always replay every year (along with OoT) not to mention it's an overall great game. Also, I can never stop crying at this scene.

1:10-4:10 along with 6:10-7:00. I cri evertim. If only there wasn't FFX-2, the emotional value of that scene would increase tremendously.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
FFIV would be that FF game for me, even if I never beat it proper. Got all the way to the moon in 2011 and just...stopped, for one reason or another.

I should get around to beating it.

As for FFVII, my brother has a second PS3. Maybe I can borrow that just for FFVII and try it out.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Today, I learned that I am really bad at wording. :p

That being said, remember that I never played FFVII, but apparently once your Limit Break is full, it overrides your Attack command. This is different in FFX where it was a separate command you could pick when your gauge was full and XII and XIII where you could use them whenever as long as your MP or ATB was full. While it's convenient to be able to use EX moves by choice like in Street Fighter, Smash doesn't have the luxury of many buttons to input things and having command inputs like Ryu would ruin Ryu's thing.

So, as sonicbrawler182 said, it would be fine if that's how it worked as that's how it worked in FFVII, but there's 2 things: what move is being modified to be Finishing Touch? Up Smash seems likely, but what does that mean for his other Smashes and even other normals? And two, we've seen him charge, but what if that's not a move and a forced animation for him activating Limit Break enhanced moves? Now, the charge animation itself is fine since that's what happens before any Limit Break. If time stops, then it's fine, but even then, it could cripple Cloud if it plays for each move. Could you imagine if Cloud was forced to do that animation and was using Climhazzard? Welp, easy timing for edgeguarding. The least problematic would be it activating and then Cloud chooses to do whatever which can either mean it's like WFT's Deep Breathing or it's just an animation Cloud's forced to enter and after that, free action. Or it could be a weird thing where you can charge it or Cloud can charge it through attacking and taking damage and when it's full, he just needs to activate the pre-Limit Break animation. That action could be bound to any button, but it would interfere with whatever you want. Say you wanted to use Blade Beam, but you're forced to enter the Limit Break animation first. Welp...

Really curious about how Cloud's Limit Break works since in my opinion, Little Mac and Ryu were the only characters who brought new mechanics to the game. This is not to say characters like Rosalina, Mega Man, or Shulk didn't bring anything. They brought new play styles not new mechanics unlike Little Mac, our first meter character, or Ryu, our first multiple input character and a traditional fighting game character. If Cloud's Limit Break is basically WFT's Deep Breathing with move alterations like Little Mac's meter, then that's fine, but I'd much prefer it if he brought FFVII's Limit Break meter mechanic.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I got FF7 around when it came out and it's still my favorite Final Fantasy to this day (although 9 is right there as well)... I am happy to see Cloud in this game. I think it's going to be pretty neat, but I hope that this is the end of 3rd party characters for the game.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm going to take a bet that Cloud is going to have a manual and automatic way to fill up his Limit gauge, the taking damage is constant and always passive, but a slow process. Using the Down-B just speeds up the process, but leaves Cloud more open to damage. That's what I can imagine for how they'll handle the Limit Gauge.

Hopefully sometime in the future I'll be downloading FFVII for the PC just to relive the classics. (And I wouldn't mind more games on my Steam collection...)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The teenager me was so hyped for Advent Children after so many delays. When it finally dropped, I wasn't disappointed. Only because I also read the novellas between VII and Advent Children to help patch storylines up. BUT! I will say that even with having all this canon knowledge, the first film felt kinda flat at times. Like transitions were harder to get into play.

That's when Advent Children Complete came around.

We got a better understanding behind why Cloud went into hiding and became closed off, have talks with others that helped show him bouncing back, and it added proper gravity to the final battle with how it was revised. Beyond that? It got really dark at times and gave me that sense of dread that surrounded the world of Final Fantasy VII when it wasn't being littered with comedy (I mean that in a good way. it had a funny charm at times and balanced it with a lot of psychological stuff that twisted ours and the characters' heads).

For a lack of better phrasing and all puns aside? The blu-ray version of the movie really did feel...well, complete.

Check out Advent Children Complete if you haven't. It's not perfect (nothing ever is), but it feels like a true sequel to Final Fantasy VII, in tone and content alike.

--

Also my only salt with Cloud vs. Link in Death Battle was how they didn't stick with one iteration of Link. The blood of the hero flows through each Link's veins, but don't combine everything into one Link that doesn't exist. And he has the experience of every past Link? Proof? Twilight Princess was good cause he got taught by the previous Link of Ocarina of Time...

If Cloud lost, I wouldn't care but they gotta be less fanon about Link's abilities and combining crap. You want a fair rematch fight? Do one of two things.

Cloud (VII) vs. Link (Ocarina of Time)

or

Cloud (ACC) vs. Link (Twilight Princess)

Cloud stopped using Materia two years after Meteor fell, but he seemed to only get stronger (Omnislash Version 6? Lesgo).

Ahah. I'm a little hype for Cloud. Pardon the tl;dr. I've been playing competitive Smash since 2006, never once thought Cloud would make it, have been a loyal Sonic main from Brawl to now (will still use him since he's one of my favorite fictional characters), but Cloud? You can count on me to keep pushing what can be done with him. Hope to get to know the rest of you guys better and we can bounce ideas off one another!

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Speaking of the Cloud VS Link thing, though I preferred Link, when I found out about them saying Z targeting gave Link the advantage despite Cloud having something similar in Dissidia I couldn't help but call BS
Yeah that's one of the death battles that absolutely needs to get another look at. Even if Link won again, I just want them to not go straw grasping.

Z-Targeting shouldn't even be considered as an ability. It's literally a camera mechanic to make it easier for us, the players, to fight and hit enemies. I think that Link from Twilight Princess would stand a good shot of beating Cloud, simply because the Hylian Shield and Master Sword combo are a great combination of offense and defense, not to mention the different techniques he has to move around an opponent for close-quarters combat. Projectiles won't do much to Cloud cause he can deflect bullets with ease (magic though? hard to block that stuff), but as far as swordfighting goes, they're both pretty good.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
The teenager me was so hyped for Advent Children after so many delays. When it finally dropped, I wasn't disappointed. Only because I also read the novellas between VII and Advent Children to help patch storylines up. BUT! I will say that even with having all this canon knowledge, the first film felt kinda flat at times. Like transitions were harder to get into play.

That's when Advent Children Complete came around.

We got a better understanding behind why Cloud went into hiding and became closed off, have talks with others that helped show him bouncing back, and it added proper gravity to the final battle with how it was revised. Beyond that? It got really dark at times and gave me that sense of dread that surrounded the world of Final Fantasy VII when it wasn't being littered with comedy (I mean that in a good way. it had a funny charm at times and balanced it with a lot of psychological stuff that twisted ours and the characters' heads).

For a lack of better phrasing and all puns aside? The blu-ray version of the movie really did feel...well, complete.

Check out Advent Children Complete if you haven't. It's not perfect (nothing ever is), but it feels like a true sequel to Final Fantasy VII, in tone and content alike.

--

Also my only salt with Cloud vs. Link in Death Battle was how they didn't stick with one iteration of Link. The blood of the hero flows through each Link's veins, but don't combine everything into one Link that doesn't exist. And he has the experience of every past Link? Proof? Twilight Princess was good cause he got taught by the previous Link of Ocarina of Time...

If Cloud lost, I wouldn't care but they gotta be less fanon about Link's abilities and combining crap. You want a fair rematch fight? Do one of two things.

Cloud (VII) vs. Link (Ocarina of Time)

or

Cloud (ACC) vs. Link (Twilight Princess)

Cloud stopped using Materia two years after Meteor fell, but he seemed to only get stronger (Omnislash Version 6? Lesgo).

Ahah. I'm a little hype for Cloud. Pardon the tl;dr. I've been playing competitive Smash since 2006, never once thought Cloud would make it, have been a loyal Sonic main from Brawl to now (will still use him since he's one of my favorite fictional characters), but Cloud? You can count on me to keep pushing what can be done with him. Hope to get to know the rest of you guys better and we can bounce ideas off one another!
I'm curious if you'll still bust out Sonic much tbh lol. I may not be quite the fan you are, but an Ike archtype with a projectile alone is enough to sell me (especially with Shulk and his frame data lol)

Top Bottom