• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

----------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Oh, snap. I will most definately look into those two.

Especially the ASDI part. Hmmm, I hope I didn't get that wrong. x_x;

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ooh, ooh, found a typo!!!

In your section on invulnerability frames you say "Yoshi is grouped with several other characters as having the highest amount of invulnerability frames during his dodge, but be careful, as everyone's dodge leaves plenty of invulnerability coming out of the sidestep."

I'm assuming you mean vulnerability? =D

(I'm not reading this to pull it apart, it's a good read, I'm just being quality management =P)

EDIT:

"The downside is that once the air dodge is complete, your character is rendered in a state similar to that of completing his or her (Up+B)--they can't perform any actions or than grabbing the ledge." - Think you meant 'other than'

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Sorry. :_:

I type much faster than my anti-dyslexia can keep up and my revision skills...leave something to be desired. >_>; Thanks for the corrections, though. ^_^

Pneuma

Smash Ace
That's one of the best edited, most informative videos I've ever seen and it hasn't even gotten to Yoshi yet.
Thank you. ^_^

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Um, dash cancelling.

In your explanation, it says that it involves cancelling your dash attack to gain extra range on a grab (which I call dash attack cancelling). It then goes on to say that mashing down on the joystick and pressing the c-stick will dash cancel a smash.

Now, imho, these are 2 different techniques. The first relies on the ability to cancel the dash attack into a grab, giving increased range. The second relies on the ability to crouch while in your running animation (NOT your initial dash animation) and then proceed with whatever you want from there.

*Wonders if I'm being nitpicky*

At any rate, both techniques have to do with cancelling and both involve cancelling something to do with dashing, so it's mostly the same thing. I would have seperated them myself though =P

ALSO!

No need to apologise Shiri. You did a great job with this, and all I'm doing is adding my thoughts. I'm looking forward to seeing this video too, it's downloading now ^_^

EDIT: Melee powershields do, in fact, do no shield damage. If the attack wasn't powershielded, the shield would take standard depletion rate AND the damage from the attack. No defying analysts here =P

EDIT2: Finished reading, and watched the video. You did that video extremely well, and the text was very informative and well written. I chuckled while viewing/reading both. Good job!!!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Thanks very much. ^_^

Yeah, I was wondering about separating the dash-type cancel attacks, but figured as you said near the end of your post that they both involved dashing and canceling, so I lumped them together, explained both and hoped that people would realize from there that they were slightly different. Thanks for the comments, though, I really appreciate the active feedback. ^_^

And yeah, I understand you on the powershield not supposed to do shield damage part. I still don't know why Rapid Powershielding works like it does, though. You can powershield punch combos, but eventually the shield will break. It's odd. And D1 and I have been working on this other melee powershield technique, too, and it's pretty weird. Hopefully we'll have answers for people soon. Thanks again. ^_^

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Thanks a lot.

After I finish encoding the other three parts, I'm gonna go back and release little mini-demonstrations of the more in-depth topics like DI and things like that. The DI section in the video was okay, but it can be so much more complicated than just that, so I want to show people that stuff, too.

Doraki

Smash Lord
wow, this thread is amazing.
however, shiri, when you block a move, the number of freeze frames in both part of the lag on the shield depends on the power of the attack in %. (yoshi doesn't have that second part so you don't care =p )

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Thanks. I had a feeling about that, but wasn't too sure. ^_^

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Just checked the video, I'm convinced Yohsi need his gangsta clothes for a costume in Brawl, along with his pirate outfit.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: People already know my feelings on this.

I don't care if Yoshi's broken or if he's the worst character in the game. When Brawl comes out, all I want are his black and white colors. That's all I want. Pirate Yoshi would be way too good, though.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Son, it's all about the pearl white timbz and the saddle with the hot gold trim. TOO GOOD!

D1

Banned via Administration
not to make things harder on ya Yan but could ya possibily include clips of Yoshi's hitboxes in ur explanation of moves in ur videos?

Might be too time consuming but ppl might 'preciate it. You could use Vgtlashdfaljsdhflasd's video w/ the hot Yoshi hitbox shtuff.

*got dips on a dark blue Yoshi that looks like Boshi OOOOOMG TOO GANGSTER* :colorful:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: That's actually exactly what I've done for part two, D1. ^_^

Hmm. I should probably get to bed. I think I just got done playing Smash for the past fourteen hours. ¬_¬;

Smashfests = too good.

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
Vids/guide is looking pretty hott so far bro. Keep it up man!

:yoshi: People already know my feelings on this.

I don't care if Yoshi's broken or if he's the worst character in the game. When Brawl comes out, all I want are his black and white colors. That's all I want. Pirate Yoshi would be way too good, though.
D&mn Straight maaaan! I dont care which colour comes back as long as black and white make an appearance!

Doubletails

Smash Cadet
Decent Guide

Congrats, Shiri, not much people really risk to making an advanced guide of techniques.

My character has always been the green fellow, even when I was very young and unaware of how big of a hit smash was (SSB64), I've been playing it for two years now, though not as In-depth as I would have desired.

I was looking forward to this guide, really, I was expecting a lot of this guide, when it came out, it was good, decent, I liked many aspects cleared out for me, like, the right times with supershieldings and maybe review my strenghts and see a way to pamper the weaknesses with a "Yoshi gift". I can't really hide the fact that I was dissappointed in its shortness and in the fact that some techniques are not really seen in depth for what they are. Example given, I was looking forward to see the perfect way to L-Cancel a dair. Just a pointer would have been fine, maybe just a hint like those you gave with the supershielding (section of your Project I applaud the most.)
I know, Bringer's guide, been there, done that. I really appreciate the fact that the joined forces of both guides become a powerful whole for the yoshi player, I know I'm whining and I know I couldn't have done it better, but I wanted that. And I couldn't have it as of the text part.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a "What a bad guide" kind of post. But I was looking forward to a real big extension of Bringer's guide, and even when I accept the fact that it was enlightening in many aspects, Yoshi's full-blown powers are still hidden somewhere off this guide. I know they are, and I can't confirm them, so I rant, cause I want to know him better.

Hopefully your videos will complement your awesome guide I just read, Keep up the great work.

Orange Yoshi in Brawl FTW :lick:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I'm still working on the videos, just so people know. I really can't come up with any more excuses as to why they're not out yet...but please know I'm still working.

As for the depth of the project, I tried to extend Bringer's guide without overshadowing or copying it in most, if not all, areas. I do plan on updating the guide in the near future with either new information as it comes out or some stuff that I haven't gotten around to do yet (such as the corrections Bringer and Doraki have posted in this thread a few pages back).

Again, I appreciate the comments. I'm not going to over-hype anything (the mistake I made when I first posted the project outline), but please know that the guide, as it is, is not fully complete and most likely won't be until we've unearthed every bit of Yoshi that there is to find.

Saur

Smash Apprentice
Man, haven't been on the boards in a while. I remember this guide in its infancy, haha.

Reading through, I've definitely learned a ton of new information. I especially like the dedicated shield section. Though the videos will no doubt be awesome, the text has its own feet (boots?) to stand on. It has a different style from Bringers guide, yet complements it. Two must-reads, I say. GJ Shiri [bows]

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Thanks for bumping this thread. Now I can bug Shiri about why the videos aren't out yet.

Hey Shiri, why aren't the videos out yet? I'm not ungrateful, it's just been a couple of months since you said everything would be out, and rendering couldn't possibly take THAT long...could it?

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, but video editting and finding time to render takes that long, especially if you have other stuff going on in your life.

That's kinda why my combo video never happened >_>.

EDIT: Omg...... My avatar is back!!! Woot!!

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I'm going to make this short.

I know I've had everyone waiting for part two patiently--probably way too long in fact--so here is my most recent render (and probably the last one for part two). I'll let the video speak for itself as far as quality is concerned. This is the reason why the others are taking so long. I'd like them to look at least as decent as part one did, but I do think it's a bit unfair to keep everyone tugging at this particular rope.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7055653228881860626&hl=en

I'll be back to update the first post in a bit. I've got a practical in the morning.

D

Deleted member

samus uptilt. falco shine. roy fsmash.

good, you're angry. I've done my job now.

<3

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Good job on the video, except whats with that Zelda thing at the end of the video?

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
Omg Its "oh Say Can Yoshi" I Love That Song!!! OC Remix ftw...

and how long do we have to wait for part 3???

D1

Banned via Administration
good stuff as always Yan u are the man w/ the in-depth AR ciips and the info of all his moves posted even the MAX DAMAGE!

*applause*

Oh yeah I'm back to using the Yo-ster again ^_^.

Just can't stay away from him despite his low-tier ness.

Doubletails

Smash Cadet
Great part II

This is the good stuff, Shiri.

It's getting better and I'm pretty sure it will be an awesome part three. For the time being, I'll say this is good and covers up pretty much part of the guide. A great complementary video. I still recommend the text, but I like how you explained every spot of the guide.

One thing though, you should time the text in the video a little more, some times, I'm not fast enough to read the text before it's already gone, so I pause it.. anyway, that's not a big drawback for the guide. Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom