• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

7.0 Zelda Matchup Chart

stixie

Smash Apprentice
This is my matchup chart for Zelda in 7.0. This is an OFFLINE tier list. I've been a Zelda main since the game came out and have over 8K battles with her. I'm also at 7M GSP (but that of course is online).

So these are also players with even skill levels. Anyone can win with any character if they are much better players.

Zelda Matchup Chart.jpg

Last edited:

Spiny Top

Smash Cadet
You think ROB is an impossible fight? I’ve always gone 50/50 with Zeldas and think it is a pretty fair matchup.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
You think ROB is an impossible fight? I’ve always gone 50/50 with Zeldas and think it is a pretty fair matchup.
Yeah ROB is terrible. His aerials just flat out beat all of Zelda's, his laser goes through phantom and is super fast (most times hitting Zelda right out of phantom charge), his down tilt beats literally all of Zelda's OOS moves period, and Zelda get endlessly juggled by all of ROBS aerials... I dunno I always have a HORRIBLE time with ROB.

Last edited:

Spiny Top

Smash Cadet
Yeah ROB is terrible. His aerials just flat out beat all of Zelda's, his laser goes through phantom and is super fast (most times hitting Zelda right out of phantom charge), his down tilt beats literally all of Zelda's OOS moves period, and Zelda get endlessly juggled by all of ROBS aerials... I dunno I always have a HORRIBLE time with ROB.
I can see that, and sympathize with it.

You right, any ROB is going to zap you with his laser while you charge the knight or send the dins fire. Avoid those moves and instead be looking to reflect with B. This reflects the gyro as well. After reflecting or Rob just missing, that's the nod to charge a knight or dins fire because it takes a few seconds for him to recharge the laser again. Even if you whiff, it is hard for ROb to punish you just shielding in response because he has the shortest grab range in the game. it's so pathetic, in particular when dashing, it will make you do the Zelda giggle.

If you can, pick up and keep the gyro as long as possible. All Rob can do is fire a whimpy laser every 5-6 seconds if you are holding it, should be easy to start walling him out. Also it is naturally intimidating seeing you hold the gyro and threatening to throw it whenever.

I agree that Rob's ariels do in general stuff out Zelda's. Try playing a grounded game and using airiels to punish whiffs or as occasional mix ups. Other than the dreaded D tilt, Zelda has better ground moves.

Lastly, the Up B is Zelda's key weapon in the matchup. Rob is big bodied (hurt box), relatively slow, zoner. He will be hanging around in the sweet spot for an Up B attack quite a lot, and is highly susceptible to getting clobbered by it. At higher percentage that's the stock right there, but if not you can follow up with a free dins fire or Knight while he is in hitstun. Throw this move out fairly liberally. Also, could you angle one into the ground to escape his juggles? Can't imagine Rob responding to that other than calling it out in the first place.

Anyways that's my 2cents as a Rob player speculating on the most frustrating way a Zelda could play against me.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
I can see that, and sympathize with it.

You right, any ROB is going to zap you with his laser while you charge the knight or send the dins fire. Avoid those moves and instead be looking to reflect with B. This reflects the gyro as well. After reflecting or Rob just missing, that's the nod to charge a knight or dins fire because it takes a few seconds for him to recharge the laser again. Even if you whiff, it is hard for ROb to punish you just shielding in response because he has the shortest grab range in the game. it's so pathetic, in particular when dashing, it will make you do the Zelda giggle.

If you can, pick up and keep the gyro as long as possible. All Rob can do is fire a whimpy laser every 5-6 seconds if you are holding it, should be easy to start walling him out. Also it is naturally intimidating seeing you hold the gyro and threatening to throw it whenever.

I agree that Rob's ariels do in general stuff out Zelda's. Try playing a grounded game and using airiels to punish whiffs or as occasional mix ups. Other than the dreaded D tilt, Zelda has better ground moves.

Lastly, the Up B is Zelda's key weapon in the matchup. Rob is big bodied (hurt box), relatively slow, zoner. He will be hanging around in the sweet spot for an Up B attack quite a lot, and is highly susceptible to getting clobbered by it. At higher percentage that's the stock right there, but if not you can follow up with a free dins fire or Knight while he is in hitstun. Throw this move out fairly liberally. Also, could you angle one into the ground to escape his juggles? Can't imagine Rob responding to that other than calling it out in the first place.

Anyways that's my 2cents as a Rob player speculating on the most frustrating way a Zelda could play against me.
Well I don't Up B pretty much ever unless I'm recovering or getting out of a juggle (I do do this quite a lot because most people don't expect it as they're jumping up to you - or my favorite is when they start charging an up smash or something and I teleport into them from above lol). The problem with Up B is it has MASSIVE endlag that get's hard punished if shielded so I'm VERY shy about using it. I'll use it out of shield if someone is trying to bear hug me but other than that it's quite dangerous and a bit of a gamble. Also, most times when I try to teleport down to get out of ROB juggling me his MASSIVE hitbox hits me right out of my teleport anyway.

I didn't know that about ROB's grab. Zelda has a HORRIBLE grab (honestly I think it's in the running for the worst in the entire game) but I always see ROB killing off their grabs so I didn't realize it had such small range.

And yeah Gyro is one of those things that doesn't really bother me. It's usually the laser that gets me.

It honestly sounds like if you play the degenerate wifi 1M GSP teleport spamming Zelda you do a lot better against ROB :laugh::laugh::laugh:

EDIT:

Ok, I went and checked out ultimate frame data and ROB's grab is one of the fastest in the game but it's range is pretty meh.

Last edited:

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
As a lucario & banjo co-main, I think the Zelda MU is even for both characters. For lucario, zelda is relatively easy to combo when we're at lower aura, and once we accumulate some decent aura starting at 70-80%, I find it's relatively easy to kill Zelda since she's light and we have very solid mobility to capitalize on the holes we find in her zoning with phantom (and her approach options are less than stellar if we get the stock lead). As long as we don't get careless throwing aura spheres for you to reflect back at us or mash on your shield and get sweetspot lightning kicked as a result, I don't see how this is a losing MU for lucario.

I admit upfront that I don't have extensive Zelda MU experience as Banjo, but I'll still explain what I've seen to be the case so far. He can definitely struggle to approach Zelda a bit more, since his all-around mobility is more limited than Lucario's, but I think it's doable for him to get in and do a number on Zelda with his strong ability to rack up damage quickly. Banjo is also considerably heavier than Lucario (106 compared to 92 units, respectively), which helps to compensate for his struggles approaching. We can mix things up with our 3 jumps (so we can wait out nayru's love if you decide to try using that as a get off me tool), use rear egg as a bait for you to use NL and give us a free wonderwing punish, and our 2-framing and ledge trapping abilities are also very strong. All this, plus Banjo's better neutral for playing keep away when/if he gets the lead, has me think this can't be anything worse than even.

I also secondary Shulk and am not sure how you think that match up is even given his range and ease of approaching with speed art and jump art (curious to hear your thoughts on this one though, as well as your reasoning for either Lucario and/or Banjo being winning for her). These are just my two cents on the Zelda MU with the characters I use.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
I know this is a long time later but I was referencing this page on another post and read your comment.

Um... funny enough I don't think ROB is impossible anymore. I've had a LOT more games against ROB being that I'm playing almost entirely online now (thanks covid). Maybe it was just matchup inexperience at the time. So yeah now I'd say the character is 50/50 vs Zelda.

I secondary Marth which is like playing the game on hard mode and honestly I WRECK most ROBs ONLINE (which is crazy) with Marth. Very strange.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
As a lucario & banjo co-main, I think the Zelda MU is even for both characters. For lucario, zelda is relatively easy to combo when we're at lower aura, and once we accumulate some decent aura starting at 70-80%, I find it's relatively easy to kill Zelda since she's light and we have very solid mobility to capitalize on the holes we find in her zoning with phantom (and her approach options are less than stellar if we get the stock lead). As long as we don't get careless throwing aura spheres for you to reflect back at us or mash on your shield and get sweetspot lightning kicked as a result, I don't see how this is a losing MU for lucario.

I admit upfront that I don't have extensive Zelda MU experience as Banjo, but I'll still explain what I've seen to be the case so far. He can definitely struggle to approach Zelda a bit more, since his all-around mobility is more limited than Lucario's, but I think it's doable for him to get in and do a number on Zelda with his strong ability to rack up damage quickly. Banjo is also considerably heavier than Lucario (106 compared to 92 units, respectively), which helps to compensate for his struggles approaching. We can mix things up with our 3 jumps (so we can wait out nayru's love if you decide to try using that as a get off me tool), use rear egg as a bait for you to use NL and give us a free wonderwing punish, and our 2-framing and ledge trapping abilities are also very strong. All this, plus Banjo's better neutral for playing keep away when/if he gets the lead, has me think this can't be anything worse than even.

I also secondary Shulk and am not sure how you think that match up is even given his range and ease of approaching with speed art and jump art (curious to hear your thoughts on this one though, as well as your reasoning for either Lucario and/or Banjo being winning for her). These are just my two cents on the Zelda MU with the characters I use.
I admit my views on some matchups have changed quite a bit as of recent.

Banjo ONLINE is a nightmare but this was strictly an offline tier list. Banjo is probably one of the best online characters in the game but drops significantly offline. Personally Banjo is 45/55 (zelda favor) I think. They can both camp each other pretty hard but on even stock (or zelda stock favor) footage I don't see Banjo being able to approach very easily. Same for Zelda of course but Zelda's moves all kill very early... so... she doesn't need to win neutral anywhere near as many times. But it's all subjective.

Now Lucario is definitely matchup inexperience on my part. I'll take your word for it on where that matchup should be. I do know he dies pretty dang early to getting kicked, ftilted on ledge, or up b'd (for doing dumb stuff on Zelda's shield). I haven't played many offline lucarios so... you could be right on that one.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I think that Link is actually a winning mu for him. He can smother her with projectiles and longer range. It feels like they have to approach me while i can safely camp them out. Her moves are usually punishable with an up b OOO. Her reflector can be really annoying though, and phantom is frustrating but thats about it.

stixie

Smash Apprentice
I think that Link is actually a winning mu for him. He can smother her with projectiles and longer range. It feels like they have to approach me while i can safely camp them out. Her moves are usually punishable with an up b OOO. Her reflector can be really annoying though, and phantom is frustrating but thats about it.
I have toon/adult link in the even category. It's a tight matchup for sure but reflector really helps with boomerang. If you're getting up b ooo as zelda v link you're not playing the matchup correctly LOL

Top Bottom