• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6 Simple Roy Questions

N-Boss

Smash Rookie
NNID
FedoraFriend
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Switch FC
SW-6925-3053-9606
1: How should I be utilizing each of Roy's throw directions?

2:If the opponent is recovering below stage, how should I edge guard them?

3: Besides a weakness towards projectiles, are there any other weaknesses I should be aware of?

4: What are his best Out of Shield options?

5: I know Nair is a decent cross up, does he have any others and how/when should they be utilized?

6: Why is everyone convinced Chrome is better?? Ya'll freackin nuts!?

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
I could be wrong on some of these so correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Down throw sets up chases/combos. At percentages where down sends the opponent too far, back throw will send at a seemingly fixed distance, it's a little laggy but puts you in positional advantage.

2. Varies from character to character. Counter is a good option if your opponent isn't sweetspotting their recoveries. Dair is an option against some recoveries. With the new wall teching mechanics your opponent cannot tech at high % should you bair them.

3.Roy's a fastfaller so he's potential combo food. His weight value is at the exact middle of the roster so he'll die before half of the cast. Roy's sourspot has its uses but more often than not it's a detriment and may even put the opponent im advantage.

4. Blazer UpB = great coverage, you can punish almost any aerial on shield and it has 7 frames of armor starting frame 4 and invcibility on frame 9 but it's a risk. His upsmash oos is as good as any other, will kill the earliest of all his options. In practical terms his fastest aerial oos is nair, nair 1 can set up into almost anything. At certain percents rising sourspot uair can combo into a jab which sets you up for the works.

6. Chrom excels at a distance where Roy does not. Roy's sourspot can be used with some moves like u-air for set-ups/confirms but Chrom is so damn dominant that he doesn't miss those at all. At least as far as the roy-chrom mu goes, Chrom has the upper hand.

Odd_0ne

Smash Cadet
NNID
MusicHero64
3DS FC
4124-5828-2172
1: How should I be utilizing each of Roy's throw directions?
Dthrow is what you use when you want to frame trap or bait air dodges at high percents. It has good uses at low percents since it combos into his aerials. Fthrow is for stage advantage. Bthrow is weird to me since its angle is odd but, you can probably catch an air dodge with it. Upthrow is a kill throw but in ult, it kills really late so it's not worth.

2: If the opponent is recovering below stage, how should I edge guard them?
You go for a bair, dair, fair(back towards the blast zone), counter(Character dependent) if you can catch them but ultimately if they're in that position you are better off ledge trapping them with jab, ftilt, etc

3: Besides a weakness towards projectiles, are there any other weaknesses I should be aware of?
Getting gimped which is hella easy

4: What are his best Out of Shield options?
Nair and flare blade is what I use personally but you can do uair or bair. Just a simple jump is good too.

5: I know Nair is a decent cross up, does he have any others and how/when should they be utilized?
If you jump in with and fast fall uair but hit them at the end of the hitbox(RAR Uair), then its safe shield pressure or a combo leading into a bair

6: Why is everyone convinced Chrome is better?? Ya'll freackin nuts!?
Roy has a better recovery but Chrom has no wet noodle hitboxes which makes him really dominant to play against since they can charge in or space you out as if they are marth.

That my opinion anyway.

Top Bottom