• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6 Reasons to Attend Super Smash Con

Super Smash Con will be the first convention dedicated to all things Smash Bros., and it's fast approaching! The event starts one month from now and registration end in two weeks. For those who have not signed up yet, here's six reasons to attend Super Smash Con.

1. Tournaments

Along with tournaments such as Apex 2015 and EVO 2015, Super Smash Con is shaping out to be 2015's next "super-major". Organized by top TOs Robin "Juggleguy" Harn and Michael "Nintendude" Brancato. Super Smash Con will be hosting singles and doubles events for Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, and Smash Wii U. Along with this, there is a $30,000+ prize pool across all games, which should encourage the world's best players for all games to compete. In addition to the Smash tournaments there will be many Quick Play Tournaments. These are tournaments where players can sign up on the spot to compete in a diverse array of classic games! For all the details regarding the Smash tournaments, go here.

PS: Project M will not have an official tournament at Super Smash Con, but it will still be playable at the indie games section.

The tournaments will be the highlight of the event for many.
Photo courtesy of Rob Paul Photography

2. Panels and Presentations

Super Smash Con will hold a plethora of panels and presentations that will cover a variety of topics. Some of presentations that will be held are "Hand Health in Competitive Gaming", "Introduction to Competitive Smash", and "A Brief History of Competitive Smash". Along with the presentations, some of the panels will include "Project M - Past, Present, and Future" and "Smash Bros. Commentaters". For a full list of all the panels/presentations, go here!

Panels/presentations are a great way to learn and discuss at conventions.

3. Contests

While the tournaments may be where most of the competition at Super Smash Con will be, there will also be Trivia Contests and a Costume Contest! In the trivia contest, competitors will test their video game knowledge against fellow gamers. In the costume contests, contestants can dress up as their favorite character and see how they stack up against other cosplayers from across the world! While there are not full details about the trivia contests, information for the costume contest can be found here.

Costume contests are a fun way for fans to get creative and dress as their favorite characters.
Photo by Evan Abell

4. Marketplace

A gaming convention would not be complete with its fair share of vendors. Super Smash Con will be no exception. The convention will be host to a game-themed market place that will sell video games, clothing, art, books, comics, massage chairs, food, Japanese mechandise, home decor, and more! Their will also be many video game photobooths that will be a great way of bring home Super Smash Con memories. Check out the full list of vendors here.

The Super Smash Con marketplace will have something for everyone. Don't miss out!
Note: That is not a picture of Super Smash Con's marketplace.

5. Performances

While video game music sounds great heard out of a speaker, nothing can beat hearing that music played live by a professional ensemble. That's why Super Smash Con will have multiple video game music performances played a wide variety of ensembles such as the The Washington Metropolitan Gamer Symphony Orchestra, Jomela (Hip-Hop/R&B trio), and The Kyle Athayde Dance Party (Dizzkidboogie's big band). In addition to music, stunt group "Urban Evolution" will be bringing Smash to life with their stunt performances. Full details for the performances can be found here!

Hearing live music is always a treat for anyone's ears.
The photo above is the big band "The Kyle Athayde Dance Party".

6. More Than Just Smash

While the convention is called Super Smash Con, the event will not just be celebrating Super Smash Bros., but it will be celebrating the video games that bring us together. Take a guided tour in the Hall of Games to learn about decades of gaming history, hop back in time to try out some out dozens arcade cabinets for free, or have some free play on many indie games including Project M and Rivals of Aether!

There's not a more old-school feeling than playing on a classic arcade cabinet.

To learn more about Super Smash Con, check out their official website. To get updates on the event, visit their Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram. To register for the event, go here!

Watch Super Smash Con's latest trailer, made by VGBC | Papapaint!

Pokemon64ism is very excited for Super Smash Con. You can follow him on Twitter @ pokemon64ism pokemon64ism .

Last edited:

Comments

Finally, i mean there is this mine-con thing, i thought it was weird not to be a smash-con.
im really looking forward to it
25462822.jpg

D
I'd attend, but it's probably in America, so...

i'm already set on going and have bought my full venue...

BUT i KNOW more people would sign up if it weren't for the steep venue fee.

if you guys would maybe next time make the t-shirt an option instead of mandatory and possibly knock 5$ after the no t-shirt option cost reduction i think 100s more people would be signed up by now.

also, where's the attendees list?

$88 for the weekend passes, $10 for each tourney entry, $600 roundtrip, merchandise, food, etc. i wish i could go... too much money though...

You know what would be smart from Nintendo? If they partnered with the convention and made every year a new bunch of N64, GC, Wii consoles and of their respective Smash games to sell new at those conventions alongside the Wii U and 3DS, of course....
Imagine if you could get a N64 or GameCube with Smash new, just manufactured, today at a convention like that!!

I asked Armada, Leffen, and Hungrybox the question I wrote in the dialogue box when I donated on a stream of theirs recently if they would be attending Super Smash Con. I got a nah from Armada, and a idk maybe from Leffen and Hungrybox.

That being said, I was putting them on the spot and they may all 3 go or none go.

I am coming from NJ, still trying to figure out the best way to get to virginia. Any NJians know the best way to travel there? Dont want to fly or drive. Train or bus is an option I want to try!

I live in MD so I was thinking I would go, but I have never actually gone to any tournaments ever, so I dont know if I should go to a super-major. Should I? Im still looking for other locals that arent Xanadu(which I am unable to go to) so will there be a Super Smash Con 2 next year?

* Double Meta Knight is banned in doubles.
* Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape tactic is banned.
* The ledge grab limit (LGL) is 35 for all characters. If there is no LGL violation, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations except when there is a sudden death.
* If a game goes to time with a LGL violation, the offending player loses the game. If both players violate the LGL in singles, then disregard. If one or more players on both teams violates the LGL in doubles, then disregard.
* If a game goes to time without a LGL violation, and both teams have an equal number of combined stocks, the team with a lower combined percent is the winner.
* If a 1 stock 3:00 minute tiebreaker match occurs, the new LGL is 15.
* Scrooging more than once per game is banned. This is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage. If a player is attacked by the other and takes damage, disregard.
Brawl Rules confuse me.

Is the convention and tournaments separate or what? $75 for the tournament venue fee and $93.25 for a three day pass.....Im confused, please help :( !

Is the convention and tournaments separate or what? $75 for the tournament venue fee and $93.25 for a three day pass.....Im confused, please help :( !
If you want to compete in the tournament, you must register for the entire weekend ($75 venue fee + $10 for each event you want to enter). The public passes are only during certain hours each day. If you do the weekend registration, you do not need any day passes.

Does that make sense?

Sure do, thanks for clearing that up lol. But what purpose do the passes have then? For casuals?
Day Passes are for people to enjoy the events occurring during the public hours. It's also useful for people who would like to spectate for the tournament during those hours.

Damn, that's going to top off Evo and Apex 2015. So hyped...
Whoever is going, enjoy yourselves out there.

If you want to compete in the tournament, you must register for the entire weekend ($75 venue fee + $10 for each event you want to enter). The public passes are only during certain hours each day. If you do the weekend registration, you do not need any day passes.

Does that make sense?
so, let me see if I understand this... by registerring for the entire weekend plus $10 for each tournament, you'll have paid the venue fee?

You know what would be smart from Nintendo? If they partnered with the convention and made every year a new bunch of N64, GC, Wii consoles and of their respective Smash games to sell new at those conventions alongside the Wii U and 3DS, of course....
Imagine if you could get a N64 or GameCube with Smash new, just manufactured, today at a convention like that!!
This idea or even just them making new copies of Melee and 64 would probably sell very well
64 is on the wii u virtual console so we're getting there...

Top Bottom