• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6/21/2008 GIGABITS - Bawling for a Brawling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus_ABe

Smash Ace
lol thank you nut thats how i feel.....it's just so flawed that its like laughable...

and finch lick my sac im not *****ing about anything sorry for making suggestions that might help every1

Finch

Smash Lord
Why would you pick a stage that the other person is good at with some other character? All you did was make them change chars. If they're still comfortable, the purpose of your counterpick hasn't been met
If that is the case then you just made a bad counterpick. Most people just use neutrals for a reason.

lol thank you nut thats how i feel.....it's just so flawed that its like laughable...

and finch lick my sac im not *****ing about anything sorry for making suggestions that might help every1
You know what's laughable? Brawl noobs coming in and saying the counterpick system that the smash community has use for years is flawed.

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
Game, I agree with you very much on this process. I figured, this should be the standard. For a while, in Melee, at least in California, this was the standard. You pick the stage last as to accommodate their character selection. Making sure you have done your best to put them at a disadvantage.

Finch, as I stated earlier as well, the point of a counter pick is to create an advantage for the loser. Just because I take a Pikachu to Luigi's Mansion, that does not mean I am getting a free win. I played Raist there and he still ***** me with his Pikachu. It was a more difficult win for him than the first one, but that is the point of a counter pick stage.

If the person has enough tangibles with the character they are using, or enough wit and smarts, they can still win. It is just that a counter pick is like playing an NBA playoff game at home. It is to give you an artificial advantage, or in some cases, a real advantage. But by no means, does it equal success. Just gives you a higher chance of success.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
You know what's laughable? Brawl noobs coming in and saying the counterpick system that the smash community has use for years is flawed.[/QUOTE]

Well technically everyone is a brawl noob because it just came out...if you were trying to say it right...its smash noobs, just saying....and you can be stubborn or an idiot but the method is flawed...okay look at it like this lets say you play snake and the other guy plays olimar you try to gimp him so you choose delfino plaza and suddenly he picks D3 and chain grabs you to death...now you feel really stupid about your counterpick, thats y its flawed, argue with that and your an idiot...no offense...lol

Finch

Smash Lord
You guys just don't understand the system. If you are snake and you take an olimar to delfino and switches to DDD then good for him-he plays two characters. Now you can switch. If switch to MK then you once again have the advantage and you CP worked. If you don't switch then it's your fault for picking delfino and taking the risk that he could switch to DDD. That's why you pick the stage first and change characters last.

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
Finch, then please, explain why the hell we have counter pick stages. At least with thee other process, the "counter pick" is actually the stage and not the character. I thought the point was counter pick stage. What you are saying makes sense to you, but what is being said to you is what should actually just make sense.

Otherwise, we are just counter picking characters and there is no need for counter pick stages. Do you understand that?

And I think everyone understands the system. Just not everyone agrees with the system.

Finch

Smash Lord
Where does it say that the word "counterpick" is only supposed to apply to stages? The counterpick is both the character and the stage. You pick a stage that any character you play at tournament level can do well on, and then pick your character according to what your opponent does. Most people stay the same character anyway because generally one's main is played at a lot higher level than their secondary, but if you take a pit to Luigi's mansion you should know that they can switch characters.

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
1) What are you talking about. If we are talking about "counter pick stage," then I assume we are talking about the stage being a counter pick. If you pick the stage first, then it is not a counter pick, now is it?

2) The way it used to work in California was like this:

Both come in with their main (mentioned at sign up).
Loser picks character first.
Winner picks character second.
Loser picks stage to COUNTER the winners character pick.

It stopped working because as the game progressed, people were picking up two and three mains so they were complaining that the format was limiting their chances in the first match. Now, why we cannot keep the second, third, and fourth parts is just beyond me. But otherwise, we may as well all play neutrals and just have it be a character counter pick fest using only steps two and three. Winner picks first and loser picks second. Right now, that may as well be what happens.

With the current method, the stage is not a "counter pick" to anything. It is just a pick. And to top it all off, does anyone know which neutral they will get in the first match? I play better with Pokemon Trainer on Battlefield than R.O.B. but I have to counter pick their character and hope I get the stage that better suits my character selection. Do you see what I mean. The stage is supposed to be picked last. At least, that is what makes most sense to me.

Finch

Smash Lord
I don't know what to tell you. As far as I can tell you just don't understand counterpicking. Go watch some melee tournament vids or something.

Samus_ABe

Smash Ace
it can be summed up like this:

with the current system you are not counterpicking the character, your counterpicking the actual person playing the game. you are guessing/knowing what characters the other person plays and picking a stage accordingly...i just think that this logic is flawed sorry to other who don't feel the same =(

AfroQT

Smash Master
How about you all shut up only scrubs play on counterpicks be like me and chopz and be a neutral monger.

FD/Bf/smashville 4 lyfe.

True pros play on neutrals, then still win on baby back ***** counterpick.

Finch

Smash Lord
it can be summed up like this:

with the current system you are not counterpicking the character, your counterpicking the actual person playing the game. you are guessing/knowing what characters the other person plays and picking a stage accordingly...i just think that this logic is flawed sorry to other who don't feel the same =(
This is a perfect explaination. How do you think this is flawed? You are playing a set to beat the player not the character they main or their lack of skill on a certain stage. What's wrong with that?

Also neutral stages are still counterpicks.

Samus_ABe

Smash Ace
finch- the system is fine by me i just think the other way would be slightly better...oh well

moonhealer- u should make a badass sig that says moonhealer on it, then have a snake with a golden fro on it

Life After Death

Smash Champion
I like it when poepel pick gay stages on me just gives me more statisfaction when I beat em in their own gay stage. Also I learn how to fight in that stage so its only helping me. so OWN!!!!!!!!

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
StripesOrBars, I just looked over your previous posts and I cannot disagree with you more. But to point you out, I simply request something a little more concrete as a reason why the stage should be banned. I already mentioned one can strike it. Is there really a reason for more action to be necessary? Unless there is something compelling, you are wasting your time arguing a stage, that makes sense as a counter pick to any logical human being, should be banned.

To your last point, does that mean there should be different counter pick stages for teams as opposed to singles? And I am not sure how your last point really matters anyway. Especially since I was just using another persons example and not trying to set any standard. The point is, you have no valid reason for the stage to be banned so I cannot believe anyone in their right mind would follow you on this one.

I am used to thee internet forums; and I understand that even though I am correct, you are not going to say I am. So I am going to say it for you:

You: "ghaudephæde010, you are correct."
Me: "Thank you."
First, who the hell are you?LOL.

Second, look at it like this.

You're Jigglypuff playing a Lucas on Luigi's Mansion. You(Jiggs) are at 999% and Lucas is at 0%. Lucas Upsmashed you, and guess what?

YOU DON"T DIE BECAUSE THE STAGE IS BROKEN.

THIS STAGE SHOULDN'T EVEN BE CONSIDERED.

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SO IDIOTIC??!?!

Third, Teams and Singles stages are completely differnt. You didn't play Melee competitively. Meaning you're a Brawl scrub.

You have no sould is what I'm trying to say.

In teams, certain tactics don't work like they do in Singles(like DDD chaingrabbing into a wall which ultimately leads to a 300% backthrow or upthrow death).

Don't come into this thread and think you know what you're talkin about you fvckin scrub.

Lastly, the only idiots who want ****** stages on are people who just started playing smash with Brawl.

Wait, lemme guess, you're gonna say something about my immaturity, right?

LOL, eat **** kid.
yo doodah if u still need a teammate we could team, tru?
Sounds delightful sir, since I can't get boozely to answer me on AIM.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
OMG.

I think my head just exploded after reading that counterpick argument.

Are you people actually arguing that counterpicking a stage is wasted when the other person can just switch characters, so we should change the system?

I mean...SERIOUSLY?!

You want to punish people for being good enough to change characters? Why don't you just get BETTER with more characters so when they pick their character to accomodate the stage, you can counterpick their character too? The system is set up to give you two advantages, but also to not completely break your opponent by not even allowing him to switch for the stage. I can't even believe there's an argument for this.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
OMG.

I think my head just exploded after reading that counterpick argument.

Are you people actually arguing that counterpicking a stage is wasted when the other person can just switch characters, so we should change the system?

I mean...SERIOUSLY?!

You want to punish people for being good enough to change characters? Why don't you just get BETTER with more characters so when they pick their character to accomodate the stage, you can counterpick their character too? The system is set up to give you two advantages, but also to not completely break your opponent by not even allowing him to switch for the stage. I can't even believe there's an argument for this.
I'm decent with multiple characters...but Brinstar ***** them all :ohwell:
I'll have to get my jiggs on for that brinstar ditto :)

Gindler

Smash Champion
First, who the hell are you?LOL.

Second, look at it like this.

You're Jigglypuff playing a Lucas on Luigi's Mansion. You(Jiggs) are at 999% and Lucas is at 0%. Lucas Upsmashed you, and guess what?

YOU DON"T DIE BECAUSE THE STAGE IS BROKEN.

THIS STAGE SHOULDN'T EVEN BE CONSIDERED.

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SO IDIOTIC??!?!

Third, Teams and Singles stages are completely differnt. You didn't play Melee competitively. Meaning you're a Brawl scrub.

You have no sould is what I'm trying to say.

In teams, certain tactics don't work like they do in Singles(like DDD chaingrabbing into a wall which ultimately leads to a 300% backthrow or upthrow death).

Don't come into this thread and think you know what you're talkin about you fvckin scrub.

Lastly, the only idiots who want ****** stages on are people who just started playing smash with Brawl.

Wait, lemme guess, you're gonna say something about my immaturity, right?

LOL, eat **** kid.

Sounds delightful sir, since I can't get boozely to answer me on AIM.
Hmmm, well I honestly think a blind chimp could figure that if he's at 0% with lucas he should destroy the mansion, I know you're just making a point but it isn't a very good one. and believe me I hate LM too since it's stupid and kirby's Uthrow can kill at pretty low percents when the whole mansion is there. So yeah bad level, and come to think of it I didn't know who that kid was either. hmmmmmm

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
Destroy the stage. . .

Yeah, ok, this way, you lose 2 stocks trying to break the stage and then, guess what?

The Mansion reforms.

The stage having walls is a good enough argument for ban.

Anyone who doesn't think so didn't play Melee.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Hmmm, I'd say more like 30 seconds than 2 stocks. But still it is infact a hassle, and you really don't get that much time with the mansion gone. The walls in the stage are annoying too, I hate bouncing off the cieling after an Usmash and fall right into a Fsmash it's borderline cheap.

And yes I didn't play melee competitively (in big tournies), but I knew what was going on and I wasn't horrible just not good, so yes I'm what you would refer to as a brawl scrub. I am however tired of wasting my stage bans at the beginning of every set on Luigi's mansion though so a ban would be just peachy.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Well I usually Dair or Bair the stage, neither are kill moves and they kill the stage the easiest.

But yes, Luigi's Mansion is such an awesome stage. I hope this LM bashing gets gigs to thinking it's ban worthy :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom