• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - NASB1 Edition! See ya next game

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
"Wah wah wah"

Chance: 5%

I don't have much to bring to the table. One thing I do want to say is I don't think the violence aspect is much of an issue. There is some slapstick in Peanuts and NASB is rated E10+. Though yeah, it is ultimately up to the Schulz estate and without personally knowing them we can't be sure how they feel about having their property in a fighting game. Not to mention there's a bunch of obstacles for Charlie Brown. Namely Snoopy who is the mascot of the series and has more moveset potential, licensing fees which may or may not be too much for the game's miniscule budget, low fan demand, and limited connection to Nickelodeon.

Want: 25%

I've watched some of the Peanuts specials in school, but otherwise I never cared for the franchise. It just wasn't funny or entertaining enough for me as a kid (If a show didn't have action, horror, or a lot of over the top slapsticky moments, I didn't want to see it, with some exceptions). But I'll give it a semi-ok score since I'm more conservative with my wants for NASB compared to MultiVersus and Peanuts would be a big deal.

Noms: Transformers rep x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Charlie Brown

Chance - 0% - I don't see it at all. One of the main things is that we're dealing with a shoestring budget here. We probably don't have the money to go for third parties. Even if we do get one, and even if it's for Peanuts, though, I think Snoopy (Woodstock optional) would get in first; Charlie is very much a pacifist who abhors violence and dislikes fighting. Snoopy's just a big a character as Charlie, and has more potential due to his imaginary fight scenarios. We probably got Helga over Arnold for the same reasons. Given the game's proven that they will chose a character they feel is more interesting rather than the "obvious" choice, I feel like Charlie Brown will get a pass.

Want - 40% - Don't get me wrong, I like Peanuts. It's just something about Charlie Brown fighting feels off to me, and makes me not want it.

Predictions

Sanjay and Craig - 7.54% - I have no clue how exactly their perceived, but people have been looking up at them.

Nominations

Eliza Thornberry X50
Nate Wright X50

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Charlie Brown

Chance - 0% - I don't see it at all. One of the main things is that we're dealing with a shoestring budget here. We probably don't have the money to go for third parties. Even if we do get one, and even if it's for Peanuts, though, I think Snoopy (Woodstock optional) would get in first; Charlie is very much a pacifist who abhors violence and dislikes fighting. Snoopy's just a big a character as Charlie, and has more potential due to his imaginary fight scenarios. We probably got Helga over Arnold for the same reasons. Given the game's proven that they will chose a character they feel is more interesting rather than the "obvious" choice, I feel like Charlie Brown will get a pass.

Want - 40% - Don't get me wrong, I like Peanuts. It's just something about Charlie Brown fighting feels off to me, and makes me not want it.

Predictions

Sanjay and Craig - 7.54% - I have no clue how exactly their perceived, but people have been looking up at them.

Nominations

Eliza Thornberry X50
Nate Wright X50
hey snoopy doesn't just do imaginary fighting

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Hugh Neutron satisfaction: 84.40%
He wasn't quite as universally loved as Jenny, but he's still pretty high up there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abstaining from Chorlie Brown.
S&C prediction: 14%
Noms: Otis x5
DAY OVER
Rate Sanjay and Craig. Predict Daggett Beaver, Norbert Beaver, and Daggett & Norbert as a duo. (That's 3 predictions!)

D

Deleted member

Chance - 5%
A more recent character compared to a lot of the roster, first airing in 2013, but probably not recent enough to be be a chosen as a shill pick. The show ended in 2016. It wasn't cancelled early like Harvey Beaks, it had a three season run, which is actually pretty good for a modern Nicktoon not named Spongebob or the Loud House, but its not a hot new thing anymore, but also isn't old enough to be nostalgic to the devs, nor does it really have the meme following of something like Fanboy and Chum Chum.

Want - Abstain
Never seen. After i stopped watching the network.

Dagg prediction: 40%
Norb prediction: 35%
Duo Beavers prediction: 45%

Noms to Alvin and the Chipmunks

Last edited by a moderator:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Sanjay and Craig
Chance: 12%
Want: Abstain

I don't know anything about this show, beyond the character designer also working on Bob's Burgers. I like Bob's Burgers.
Sanjay and Craig wasn't super popular to my knowledge but it had a full run. The two could probably function nicely as a duo, given most of what I've seen involves Sanjay whipping Craig around.
I stopped watching Nick around when this show came out so yeah, not much to say here.

Predictions
Dag: 40%
Norb: 25%
Duo: 25%
(Just a heads up, I got bored and wrote this one ahead of time. I give the concept of Duo Beavers a proper thrashing and it's gonna be looooooong.)

Noms
10 for Angelica
10 for Heffer
30 for... Chef Gordon Bleugh!
1660571542043.png

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Sanjay and Craig

Chance: 5% -
These two are in a bit of a tough spot. They're a 2010's show, which already puts them at a major disadvantage since the core audience has no nostalgia for them. Even despite this, the show doesn't really have much of a fanbase, and Season 1's gross-out turned a lot of people away from the show. It did show big improvement in Season 2, but by that point the damage had already been done. Even in the current NASB climte, nobody's asking for the duo, so I doubt we'll be seeing them anytime soon. Nick no longer promotes them either, which isn't good for them. However, Nick treated it well during its' original run, 3 Seasons and the entire run on the main channel is nothing to scoff at! Still, I don't think we'll be seeing these two any time soon.

Want: 10% - Not the worst, but not really my cup of tea. I do appriciate how much improvement the show got in its' Second Season, and a kid/snake duo would make for a fun fighter concept! But I have no attachment to the show, and there are loads of other Nick shows and characters I'd rather see get in.

Nominations:
(Rerate} Luna Loud xAll

Predictions:
Norbert - 23.94%
Dagget - 31.37%
Duo Beavers - 59.26%

The Beavers are a bit of a weird one! They're in demand, and while Dagget has the advantage in moveset potential. their demand isn't leaning towards a particular Beaver. They could do a duo moveset for them, I know it upsets their dynamic but the devs aren't as concerned about the to-show accuracy. So they'll probably make the decision that makes the most people happy.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
A boy and his snake

Chance: 5%

I originally nommed this because of how cursed this show is, not knowing that it's only the first season that went all out on the gross out humor. Apparently the show got 3 seasons and it got better after season 1 so there's probably people who do like this show. But if there is, their clamoring for the duo isn't loud at all and overall there isn't much that separates it from the bulk of 2010's shows.

Want: 0%

Holy ***. What the *$$. Ok, I get that the show gets better but still, that first season put a very, very sour taste in my mouth. THere's even an episode that is all about Sanjay and Craig throwing up and the episode has gags revolving around just that. No one wants to watch that!

Prediction
Norbert 34%
Daggett - 34%
Both - 13%

Noms: Transformers rep x5

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
They're also not as concerned about "completing groups", not to mention this game's had too many lag issues for a proper IC equivalent.
That was meant to be a jab at all the flak I received about my criticisms of Aang's moveset.

Plus, not being concerned about "completing groups" doesn't mean they have some kind of desperate aversion to ever doing it. This isn't meant to be "subvert for the sake of subversion" 5D chess.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
That was meant to be a jab at all the flak I received about my criticisms of Aang's moveset.

Plus, not being concerned about "completing groups" doesn't mean they have some kind of desperate aversion to ever doing it. This isn't meant to be "subvert for the sake of subversion" 5D chess.
I feel like the "not completing groups" thing was specifically directed at the Ninja Turtles. Around that time it wasn't clear yet that they wouldn't all be there but they probably weren't allowed to outright say it. I don't know how relevant that quote is for speculation outside the TMNT

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm not focused on wanting to subvert things, I'm focused on the game having a stable framerate. You know, the reason why the 3DS temporarily killed the Ice Climbers, or why Pyra/Mythra have to fight without Rex.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I feel like the "not completing groups" thing was specifically directed at the Ninja Turtles. Around that time it wasn't clear yet that they wouldn't all be there but they probably weren't allowed to outright say it. I don't know how relevant that quote is for speculation outside the TMNT
But.... you just used it as evidence that duo-character Beavers is less likely.

Either way, it's a good thing to keep in mind.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
But.... you just used it as evidence that duo-character Beavers is less likely.

Either way, it's a good thing to keep in mind.
No I agreed that the game wouldn't be able to handle an Ice Climbers style character and that's why duo Beavers is less likely.

I wasn't talking about the Beavers when talking about the "completing groups" thing.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Ceejay & Snakeman
Chance: 3%

Don't see much of a path for these two at the moment. Ironically I remember the first NASB fan account I saw the day the game was announced being a Sanjay & Craig campaign account (which went inactive two days later, funnily enough), but the fact of the matter is these two don't have any real impressive showings of fan demand. Their show was treated decently well by the network in its day, but it also hasn't aired in years (does Nick still rerun old episodes, actually?) and I don't think Nick references it too much these days. It's sort of in that FBCC zone where it got loads of flak when it was new for being gross and weird, and while it did allegedly recover from that as the show went on, it sealed its reputation in the eyes of many as yet another garbage cartoon in an era chock-full of them. Maybe in a few years, the ironic meme hype will come back around for Sanjay & Craig, but for now, they're just kinda left in the dust.

The only thing I know about this show is that there's an episode where Sanjay and Craig have a fart baby. Oh, and there's an episode where Snoop Dogg is in it as a malevolent god. So yeah, this could either be the best or worse thing ever based on those two facts. For now, I'll play it safe and abstain.

Dag Prediction: 42%
Norb Prediction: 36%
Beaver Duo Prediction: 20%
Most people seem to have abandoned the idea of the beavers being together as an Icies-esque duo due to stability concerns, but the results of the megapoll indicate that people do want them in the game a lot. Between the two, it seems like Daggett's the one who's more expected, though this is from an outsider's perspective since I've never seen The Angry Beavers.

Noms to Arnold

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Sanjay and Craig

Chance - 1.5% - Due to their early seasons having too much emphasis on gross-out humor, their early momentum got derailed. While their latter seasons improved enough that they can claim to have legitimate fans, overall they're just not popular enough to really stand out. I can see them getting in because a snake gives a good base for a move set, which is enough to not make me say never-ever, it's still super unlikely.

Want - 50% - They're after my time. I can stand them because I know they got better, but their are plenty of other characters I want first. Otherwise, I do think they have potnetial.

Predictions

Dagget - 35.67%
Norbert - 35.67%
Dag and Norb - 10.23%

I have no idea on how they compare indicidually, but together I don't think so.

Nominations

Eliza XAll

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
No I agreed that the game wouldn't be able to handle an Ice Climbers style character and that's why duo Beavers is less likely.

I wasn't talking about the Beavers when talking about the "completing groups" thing.
Oh, that makes MUCH more sense! My apologies for the misunderstanding! xD
:dr^_^:

Granted, they could to a Pyra/Mythra-style thing, but then they couldn't have any attacks where they fight each other/conflict like CatDog and Ren & Stimpy do.

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Charlie Brown
Chance: 1.75%
Want: 52.14%
Winner of predictions is Sid-cada Sid-cada , who predicted 1.56%. You get 10 extra noms!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abstain.
Predicting 30% for all 3 things.
Noms: Otis x5
DAY OVER
Rate Daggett, Norbert, and Daggett & Norbert as a duo. Predict Eliza Thornberry.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
The Angry Beavers

Alright guys. Time to put this to rest once and for all. I’m gonna compile all my Beaver argument points here in one spot.

First, I’m going to say that now that Rocko is accounted for, the odds of any sort of Angry Beavers representation has shot up by a heck of a lot. There’s still that chance it gets left out, but I’d put money on the Beavers over pretty much any series that hasn’t been represented yet now that most of the biggest and most obvious ones are out of the way, as well as being the last big 90’s cartoon left besides Rocket Power. It'd just feel wrong to not include an Angry Beaver.

But will we get both Beavers together, or one Beaver on his own? I know the odds of having both as separate characters right now are very slim when we still have characters like Timmy Turner and Jimmy Neutron to worry about, but hey, it could happen if DLC keeps going long enough, or if there’s a sequel.

Anyways, let’s get into it.

Duo Beavers
Chance: 20%
Want: 10%

I’m not gonna lowball it, but the more time goes on, the more I look at this game, the more I realize Duo Beavers isn’t very likely.

Let’s get the main reason why out of the way first:
The game probably won’t even be able to handle it.

Look, I love NASB but let’s be real, this game has a fair number of limitations and breaks in new and ridiculous ways every update. The Hugh update alone busted the absolute crap out of the console versions.
It can barely handle particle effects, animations and moves can get broken because of glitches or stuff breaking in between updates, the AI is wonky, the stages lag, and yet people want two Beavers at once in an Ice Climbers style situation.

Do you know why the Ice Climbers weren’t in Smash 4? Because the 3DS couldn’t handle two identically sized characters being controlled at once, one with its own AI if it separates. I know NASB is NOT a 3DS game, but given the number of limitations this game does have and how much lag certain things cause, I seriously doubt an Ice Climbers style set up for the Angry Beavers is even possible. The lag two Beavers at once would cause makes the idea not feel worth it.
Imagine trying to have four players as the Ice Climbers on Slime Time. Like actually try to picture that.

This could also apply to something like a Pyra/Mythra setup. While that’d be preferable and may work easier, it’d still probably lag the game a lot, given how long it takes most things to load. Items are one thing, but an entirely separate character being switched out on a whim, sometimes constantly? Nah. I can’t see it. It’d do better than an Ice Climbers style thing at least.
The other alternative is to smush both beavers together into one singular character like a pair of conjoined twins and that would be stupid. Please don’t do that.

Second reason: it’s not true to the characters, and limits moveset potential

The main draw of The Angry Beavers is the sibling rivalry between Norbert and Daggett, who even if they’re brothers who live together, are not an inseparable singular unit. They’re often competing, squabbling, trying to one up each other, and sometimes flat-out brawling. Unlike CatDog and Ren and Stimpy, Norb and Dag are shown to have lives outside of each other, with Norbert having a social life and Daggett often enacting harebrained schemes by himself.

While I don’t expect both Beavers as solo characters all at once right away, having Dag and Norb as separate characters leaves much more room for moveset material, as a lot of the potential attacks the beavers have that can be referenced are used on each other, and it also means the two can fight one another, which would be a great way to represent them as characters, and they can still work together through team matches, so it works out.
The two have done a lot of crazy, wacky things that could make for absolutely hilarious, bombastic movesets. The potential for insane references and attacks in just one of the brothers alone is actually staggering and would be fantastic for this game.

Plus, we already have two “duo who beat each other up to fight” characters. Do we really need a third? You guys already don’t like Hugh borrowing like, two move concepts from Garfield. Duo Beavers who attack by fighting each other is just another Ren and Stimpy/CatDog retread.

I’ve drawn up potential movesets for each Beaver if they were to both have their own slots, which you can see in the Angry Beavers support thread.

Third reason: Not every pair of characters in existence needs to be crammed into a duo fighter.

I see it all the time in speculation. The thing people tend to do is they see any duo or any team and then just automatically lump them all together in an Ice Climbers or Pokémon Trainer sort of situation without really considering if it'd make any sense.
Cartoons very often have two main characters driving everything, but that doesn’t mean EVERY duo in a cartoon are dividuals. While that sort of thing is common for multiplayer video game characters who need to play similar to each other, there is no such limitation in cartoon characters, who are often opposite personalities that need to clash for the sake of humor and to drive plots.

I’ve seen people complain that Finn and Jake aren’t a duo in Multiversus despite them both having awesome kits unique to each of them and it being fun to play as the two of them co-op in 2v2.
Why? What’s wrong with having them separated? Why would you want less characters?

Imagine if they decided SpongeBob and Patrick have to be a duo because they’re best friends. Imagine if they crammed all four Ninja Turtles into a singular unit, all at once, just standing there in a huddle, because they’re a team. Doesn’t that kind of feel like a missed opportunity?

Now I’m not against duo fighters altogether, of course not. It just has to make sense. It needs to fit the characters and the source material, and it needs to work mechanically and have greater potential for moves and attacks together than if they were separated. Ren and Stimpy make sense. Tom and Jerry make sense (and are frankly brilliantly designed). Pokémon Trainer makes sense. Pyra and Mythra make sense. CatDog is literally joined at the hip, there was no other way they could have done them. It also helps that a lot of these duos or switch out characters are compact due to either the aforementioned switching out or because of size differences between the two characters. Rosalina and Luma worked on the 3DS because Luma is a little guy compared to Rosalina. Whereas the Ice Climbers were two identical models.

With the Angry Beavers, I don’t see any reason they should be a duo fighter besides the fact that there are two of them.
I can’t imagine how a duo moveset would work without needing to turn the two of them into interchangeable clones of each other (or resorting to mostly just "they beat each other up" moves). Which again, would limit what references to the show and characters they could pull from and would be untrue to the characters if Norbert is acting like Daggett and vice versa, or if they just downplay their personalities in general to make them able to share attacks and animations, and with how much personality they put into the character animation in this game, that’d be a huge disservice to the Beavers.

If we can have two Ninja Turtles with people clamoring for two more, we can have two Angry Beavers. And if we only get one Beaver, I can see demand ramping up for the other.
Again, I’m aware how unrealistic hoping for both Beavers as separate slots for this game is, especially after the devs have said they’re “not concerned with completing groups” (though granted that seemed primarily directed at the TMNT). If we only get one Beaver and that’s it, then that really sucks, but I wouldn’t lose hope for something like a sequel, where they’ll need a big group of new characters to generate hype. Another Beaver would be a great way to do this.

But yeah, I acknowledge it’s not entirely impossible they’ll decide to make them a duo anyway, since that’s where all the “demand” is. It goes down to the devs and what they think would be best, really. Do they cram the Beavers together since that’s what people “want” (like they did with Hugh) or because they think that would legitimately work best, or do they do their own thing and decide there would be more possibilities if they were individuals, or just do it that way because that’s what they want? I can’t read their minds, so I don’t know how to answer that.
Though if I’m honest with you guys, I’m not sure the people who insist Norbert and Daggett absolutely must be a duo fighter have ever actually watched The Angry Beavers.

If it happens?

I’d prefer a Pyra/Mythra style switch out to Ice Climbers style or Ren and Stimpy style, if we HAVE to. Then they can at least still fight each other without the other one stapled to their back. If we get something like that, I’d feel less inclined to complain, but it does depend on what the Beavers actually play like in that state.
It’s still Angry Beavers rep, I’ll take it, but it’s not the ideal Angry Beavers rep. I’ll be disappointed, but still thrilled to see them. It’s been a long time since Daggett and Norbert have been in a video game, I guess I can’t afford to be picky.

So, I’ve laid out why I think they should be separated, but in the event we only get one, or start with one Beaver first then add another later, who should it be?

Daggett
Chance: 85%
Want: 100%

If we’re only getting one Beaver, it’s going to be Daggett. Dag is the erratic, dumber and more prone to violence of the two Beaver brothers. Many many episodes are focused on his exploits in trying to one up Norb, get revenge over petty grievances or demand respect from the other animals, and of course his escapades as MUSCULAR BEAVER, who would absolutely be a part of his moveset. He’s the most common victim of slapstick, and in my opinion, the funnier of the two. Daggett would be the perfect choice for a solo Beaver, or for the first Beaver we get if it’s possible to have both playable.

Daggett is also my favorite character in the show and is my most wanted character for this game. Make with that information what you will.

Norbert
Chance: 45%
Want: 100%

That said, Norb has a decent enough chance to get in instead if the devs decide they like him better, that he has the cooler options for moves/animations, or that he’s a less obvious pick than Daggett. Norb isn’t as active as Daggett, but is certainly as vindictive, and his flamboyant personality would make for a hysterical presence in the game. Plus, he too has an alter ego in BARON VON BAD (THEN GOOD THEN BAD AGAIN AND NOW SOMETHING THAT’S NEITHER) BEAVER, who I should point out is presented as MUSCULAR BEAVER’s enemy. Only thing holding him back is how much more sense Daggett makes as a pick.
If Daggett does get in first, I can absolutely see people clamoring for Norbert to follow him in a later DLC pack or potential sequel. People already want more Spongebob, more Avatar, more Jimmy Neutron, more Rocko’s Modern Life, etc. Not to mention the multiple Fairly OddParents characters people are all asking for.

I want Norb in too. I want both of them. I’m biased, I know. If I had to choose one and only one, yes, I’d pick Daggett, but Norbert would make such a damn funny character that both join my 100% Want club.

I love The Angry Beavers, man. I think it still holds up and it’s’ got a really fun feel and style to it that I’d love to see the mad ******** at Ludosity be able to run wild with.

Now let’s start splitting the Beavers up on those fan rosters, eh? Please?

5x noms for Angelica
5x noms for Heffer
5x noms for Chef Gordon Bleugh

Eliza prediction: 15%

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i don't recall them being particularly angry

chances: well it varies. duo character 0% personally i just don't see NSAB doing it. i mean there isn't really any reason to do it is there? anyway both of them individually i would rate 50%. honestly i can't remember which ones which so i couldn't tell you who would have an edge. still as far as i'm aware the show is a well renowned nick show, either that or we've just talked about them a lot. i believe there's fan demand that would help. so yeah i could happen.

want: 50% i guess i could take them. i did watch some of it but i don't remember much. just one where hand an absurdly smelly toe and the other one had to cure him and another one where they watch to much TV and go insane (by their standards). although if they make a moveset based on the latter i could get on board. plus i think their house would make a decent stage, assuming i'm not thinking of a giant beaver dam from another show.

noms to spike (rugrats)

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Duo Beavers

Chance: 20% -
I do still think it could happen. Whether they're a switchable character or Ice Climbers-style, I think there's a way both can be implemented. I know framerate problems and engine limitations are a concern with these two, but do we know this as a fact? Have the devs stated it at one point or are we just making assumptions? And even then, the beavers wouldn't be hyper high-fidelity models like Rex/Pyra would, so I doubt it'd have that big of an impact (and with the DLC budget the devs have been putting a lot more work into a smaller group of characters, which is why our DLC so far has been very high-quality, Jenny especially. So if they decided to try Duo Beavers they'd have more time to spend on them and getting them to work. They'd also be on screen together, so a lot of their bickering could be preserved through their moveset when on screen together. Still, I'm not sure exactly how they would tackle this or what the devs would ultimately decide on. They aren't as concerned about being 100% true to the characters (see Aang's moveset) and might make the decision that would make the most people happy. Which leads me into the general points going for the show as a whole.

Once Rocko got announced, demand for the Beavers shot up, as indicated by their top 5 placing on the recent poll! Likely due to being the new show for 90's fans to rally behind. But I haven't seen demand pointing towards a specific beaver, just the franchise as a whole. So demand in that regard won't sway the devs towards either of them, and they might go for the duo instead (either to avoid the TMNT problem or just to try and get both in. They're a duo, it'd be hard to have one without the other. They're even shown together in previous crossovers like Nicktoons racing). Either way it's all up in the air at this point! The devs are 90's fans, so we may see a verdict on them soon enough!

Dagget Beaver

Chance: 45% -
The only beaver we've previously rated, from what I remember he was the more scrappy/wild of the two beavers, and thus tends to lend himself better to a moveset! He has a hyper muscular alter-ego, which could easily be a chargeable power-up of sorts to buff all of Dagget's moves. He's also the much goofier of the two and prone to slapstick, so a game like this would be something he's want to get involved in (as oppose to the more laid-back, sophisticated Norbert). If we get a solo beaver it depends on who the devs favor more, but I can see them leaning more towards Dagget, knowing their general tastes in characters.

Norbert Beaver

Chance: 15% -
Still a possibility if the devs favor Norbert, he DOES have moveset potential of his own in the form of Baron von Bad! Though ultimately I can see him having to wait until after Dagget, in which his demand may go up in the name of completing the duo (ala Donatello/Raphael). But his personality seems more like he'd rather spectate and see Dagget get meteor smashed from the comfort of the beaver dam, sipping tea while watching the festivities on TV. Still, I wouldn't count him out!

Want for All Three: 35% - I was never the hugest 90's Nick fan (in fact Ren and Stimpy/CatDog/Rocko (to a lesser extent) still make me sick to my stomach). My experience with the beavers was overall brief (it really didn't air often, I always associated it with Sunday afternoons), and while it was never a favorite of mine I didn't have any issues with them either. So there are a lot of characters I'd rather see get in instead, but with the demand they have and the wacky potential of the two fighting I wouldn't mind seeing them either! Basically the last non-Doug 90's show (I consider Rocket Power an honorary 2000's show!) to add, so why not?

Nominations:
(Rerate} Luna Loud xHalf
(Rerate) El Tigre xHalf

Predictions:
Eliza Thornberry - 14.85% - Eliza does have recent relevance through her addition in Nicktoons Tennis, an I have seen people asking for her, so with Nigel already in I can see some good scores! But with other shows having much higher demand for more reps (Jimmy Neutron, Danny Phantom, Avatar, Spongebob, etc) she may get out-prioritized for this game.

Also, looks like people are showing a lack of confidence in Timmy getting in after seeing Thaddeus' reaction to his inclusion in Nick Extreme Tennis. What are your thoughts on this? You think a Timmy rerate is in order?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I do think Angry Beavers is probably the next most likely 90s pick. They're usually chosen in merch alongside a lot of the seires already represented here. Only reasons i could see them not getting in, is if DLC ends or if the team decides they don't want anymore 90s characters. And I kind of don't see them really making a distinction like that. However it all comes down to how exactly they implement the characters. Speaking of..

Duo
Chance - 30%
I don't necessarily think this as is impossible as people say. Yes. Duo characters do take more time and resources. And yes. The Beavers don't necessarily need to be a duo character. But the fact of the matter is i do think most people see them that way, they're of equal importance and are usually always seen together. If they wanted to make this work then I honestly think they'd go for it. The DLC characters have been extremely well polished, with a lot of worn put into them so far. And they did make Ren and Stimpy work. But it still does take more resources, it probably would be much cheaper and easier to animate just one character, and the Beavers do have enough to separate them. We've seen from another major platform fighter that obvious pair ups (Finn & Jake, Rick and Morty) don't always need to be a duo, and sometimes may be better off if they're not. Not sure if we'll get both though.

Dagget
Chance - 50%
If where where to get a singular beaver, I do think it would most likely be Dagget. He's got the most obvious moveset potential, with him being the fighter of the duo and having his Muscular Beaver transformation. He's prone to slapstick, which makes him a pretty good fit for this game. I could see them having a lot of fun making a moveset for him. He's probably the "main" beaver of the two, and while we know this team doesn't allways go with the main character, I do think it may work more in his favour.

Norbet
Chance - 15%
Norbet is the slightly less likely of the two in my opinion, but that doesn't make him impossible. The team could definitely get creative with him. His whole character is being more laid back and chilled, less likely to get in scrapes than Dagget. They could still definitely make this work in a moveset, and he does have his moments to pull from. I think Dagget is still more likely, though. But there's allways the chance the team choices to do both.

Want for all three - 50%
I think I may have watched this show forever ago. But i dont really rememeber much about it. I remember it being pretty funny. But not really Any specific details about the characters. They seem fun; and I know they'd make some people on here pretty happy. Sounds like they have a lot of moveset potential too. I'm always up for new series, and they do feel like they belong here. They're the last big 90's show left, if you don't count Rocket Power, which allways felt more like a 2000s show anyway. I'd be fine with them showing up in any form. Solo or Duo.

Eliza Predicton - 13%
I think some people might give her decent-ish chances due to her appearing in the Tennis game and the potential for an animal summoning moveset. But I think most will feel Nigel is enough for the Wild Thornberries.

noms to Angelica
noms to Heffer
noms to Power Rangers

Last edited by a moderator:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Daggett and Norbert

Chance

Together - 0.5%
Daggett - 65%
Norbert - 25%

There are three methods of making a duo character like this work, essentially.

First, Ice Climber style, with one leading and another following. I don't think the game is quite on that level of work, yet.

Second, Transformation style, with one tagging out with another with a move. Cat Dog essentially takes this slot, and this seems like a lot of work for a character that can work solo.

Lastly, there's Duck Hunt style, where two characters are always together treated as a single entity for purposes of hitboxes, move set, etc. This doesn't work as well when the two characters are roughly the same, playable size in contrast to Ren and Stimpy where Stimpy can ride on Ren.

Given the above, I just don't see the two as one happening.

For Dagget and Norbert individually, Dagget seems to have the edge, due to being prone to violent slapstick. Norbert could get in due to favoritism, but otherwise Daggett seems like the one they would go for.

Want - 55% for All

They're past my time. I don't have any strong feelings about them, but I know they would make people happy, so...

Nominations
Nate Wright (Big Nate) xAll

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Duo Beavers Chance: 30%
Just Daggett Chance: 45%
Just Norbert Chance: 20%

I do think it's possible for them to go for Duo Beavers since that's what the demand seems to be largely centered around at the moment (sorry Lime). The stability concerns are valid since we all saw what Slime Time was like at launch, but at the same time, if they were willing to release a stage in that state, I wouldn't be surprised if they released a character who lags the game in one or few very niche scenarios that most players aren't even gonna see - four players all playing Beavers on Slime Time, for instance. If they go for just one Beaver, I think Daggett is definitely more likely as the more hotheaded and slapstick-oriented of the two. Solo Norbert doesn't seem likely at all to me (unless we get both Beavers as separate characters in this game, which is doubtful) due to being more laid-back and less prone to getting in the mix than his brother. Could happen if there's a serious Norbert fan on the devteam, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I wouldn't exactly call any of them a lock since it's kind of been a while since we've seen the Beavers in a Nickelodeon game, let alone as playable, but at the very least I'd give Solo Daggett a respectable chance of happening at this stage.

I've never seen an episode of The Angry Beavers, so I don't have an opinion here. All for picks that satisfy a large amount of people, but this one would mostly go over my head.

Eliza Prediction: 8%
I feel most believe that Eliza was skipped over for a reason, and while she is the star of a well-remembered series, there isn't a whole lot of demand for the devs to go back for her.

Noms to Arnold

This doesn't work as well when the two characters are roughly the same, playable size in contrast to Ren and Stimpy where Stimpy can ride on Ren.
Man, poor Ren in that case 😅

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
(sorry Lime)
You guys really don't need to keep apologizing? I'm not gonna kill anyone for thinking Duo Beavers could happen, I know it's possible. I only go on the defense when someone comes at me specifically telling me it's the only way.

Granted, I've only really made my preferences and arguments known here. Maybe I'll copypaste my post on the subreddit later or something.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I missed a couple of days I had a lot to say, and now that I have time, it's on a day for a show I never watched! Alas, that's just luck. But I'll try my best.

Justin Beaver
Leave It to Beaver

The Angry Birds Beavers

The Angry Beavers was a popular Nicktoon that ran for 5 seasons in the 90s. I was surprised to learn this because you don't really hear about it nearly as much as the other 90s Nicktoons (barring Real Monsters, which seems like more of a cult classic), but, yeah! 5 seasons. It certainly made its mark and is remembered these days. But what are its odds to get a rep? It does seem that popular demand lies more with shows from the criminally overlooked 2000s, and the devs aim to please. But Rocko shows they are still willing to dip into that well. It's notable, though, that Angry Beavers is one of only two 90s Nicktoons unrepresented, the other one being Rocket Power. I feel like this puts the Beavers in an odd spot where they've been outprioritized by almost everyone, and might speak to a lack of interest or inspiration from the devs. Or maybe not! Rocko missed base game and he's one of the biggest shows of the era. But it does give me "bottom of the barrel" feels, fair or not. I also think Rocket Power has a much stronger shot because of how memetic that show is, and if they dip more into other decades then there isn't much of a shot there.

But the one metric that should never be ignored is demand, and the Beavers are strong there. On that big poll that I still have bookmarked they landed in 6th place as a duo, and in the 40s individually. Which raises a question: is their high placement as a duo evidence that that's how their fans want to see them? Or just the result of non-fans who would like to see them included, but don't know enough about the show to care about implementation and would rather not waste two slots? I can't answer that question but I think it's an important one, since the devs could look at those results and go "oh, they want them as a duo? Damn, well we'll have to make sure we do them that way or not at all". Which works as a segue to the next point!

I agree with the side that thinks there's absolutely no way they implement them together as an Ice Climbers type duo or a transformation character. God bless the devs, but NASB runs like complete crap on PS4 and I can't even imagine what the Switch SKU must be like. Its performance is barely held together by string and scotch tape as is, and I can't imagine them deliberately straining them by adding a character of the sort. Sakurai couldn't even manage to get Rex & Pyra onscreen at the same time and Ultimate is leagues ahead of NASB in terms of budget and optimization. This leaves only the option of a Duck Hunt/Ren & Stimpy style duo, and, while I don't know enough about the show to know if this would make sense, I think it would feel incredibly redundant at this point and that the devs would probably agree. I'll give this concept a 0% chance.

On the matter of how likely each individual Beaver is... No idea! Don't know about their dynamic, personalities or if any of them is more important or popular than the other. Zero clue, and I feel like this is something that could only be properly researched by watching the show. Which I probably will eventually! Just, uh, not now.

As for want, this is a tricky spot. I usually just give 100% to reps of unrepped shows just because I like it when they spread the love to as many shows as possible. I would have given it even to Middlemost Post (a show I had literally never heard of) and Sanjay and Craig (a show I never saw because of how gross it looked). Thing is, I can't give 100s to both Beavers because, uh, I don't want it to get two slots. I'm generous with stuff I haven't seen but not that generous. So I guess I'll split the difference and give 33.333% to each? Does that make sense? Idk whatever I'm doing it anyway. For what it's worth, all I know about this show is the story of its cancellation and the final episode they tried to make. ****ing badass, that's the stuff of legends, and I hope they at least reference "Shut up!" if one of the Beavers gets it.

So, just to be clear:
Norbert - abstain chance - 33.333% want
Dagget - abstain chance - 33.333% want
Duo - 0% chance - 33.333% want

Noms: Buhdeuce and SwaySway
Eliza prediction: 3% (I don't think anyone really misses her)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You guys really don't need to keep apologizing? I'm not gonna kill anyone for thinking Duo Beavers could happen, I know it's possible. I only go on the defense when someone comes at me specifically telling me it's the only way.

Granted, I've only really made my preferences and arguments known here. Maybe I'll copypaste my post on the subreddit later or something.
I was moreso apologizing for the fact that most people seem to want Duo Beavers, an outcome which you've been staunchly against since the beginning. I imagine it can't feel great to have people actively pulling for your most wanted to be represented in a way you specifically don't want. For me it'd be like if people specifically wanted Jimmy to be a background element on Hugh's stage, or for Carl to be in, but only attached to Sheen.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I was moreso apologizing for the fact that most people seem to want Duo Beavers, an outcome which you've been staunchly against since the beginning. I imagine it can't feel great to have people actively pulling for your most wanted to be represented in a way you specifically don't want. For me it'd be like if people specifically wanted Jimmy to be a background element on Hugh's stage, or for Carl to be in, but only attached to Sheen.
I appreciate that, thank you. It does get annoying seeing it so much. I know it's not done in bad faith, but still.

It's crazy how many people I'm coming across in NASB circles who have never seen the show, for that matter. I swear it wasn't this obscure when it was new and running.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's crazy how many people I'm coming across in NASB circles who have never seen the show, for that matter. I swear it wasn't this obscure when it was new and running.
Maybe with how acrimonious its cancellation was they simply didn't air it as much after it ended? As a 2000s kid, I remember seeing tons of reruns for Rugrats, Rocko, Hey Arnold, etc. but never Angry Beavers.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Maybe with how acrimonious its cancellation was they simply didn't air it as much after it ended? As a 2000s kid, I remember seeing tons of reruns for Rugrats, Rocko, Hey Arnold, etc. but never Angry Beavers.
In America, by the time TAB ended, Nick was preparing to push reruns of finished Nicktoons over to Nicktoons Network. This would include The Angry Beavers.

At the same time, I was around when TAB was new, but it...probably came on at unfortunate times for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom