• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - NASB1 Edition! See ya next game

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Chance- 8%
Biggest problem Mermaid Man has is competition with other Spongebob characters, most obviously the trio of Squidward, Krabs and Plankton, but also other supporting characters like Mrs Puff and Larry. Another potential issue is that Mermaid Man has been retried from the show due to the death of Ernest Borgnine, and while this may not be an issue due to this game's current lack of voice acting and the potential use of archive audio, I think it might mean that the devs could be hesitant to include him. I actually think there's a chance they go with one of his villains instead. He's more likely than Kelpy G, but that's not saying much.

Want - 15%
I'm a bit torn. On one hand a geriatric bumbling superhero sounds like a genuinely fun character to include in a game like this. On the other hand he's one of three major Spongebob characters to be retired, the other two being Spongebob's granma and, fittingly, Barnicle Boy, following an actors death, and I feel it would be good to respect that. There are just also a number of Spongebob characters I'd want more.

Noms to Azula.

Last edited by a moderator:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
And me makes ten! I think...

Chance: 15%

While Mermaid Man has a lot of competition with the likes of Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Plankton, I don't think his chances against them are as bad as everyone thinks, and he'd most certainly be considered before Mrs. Puff or Larry. He'd be a good oddball pick, and since he's a superhero, he has quite a lot of moveset potential.
The problem is since the character has been retired out of respect for Ernest Borgnine's death, that might make him off limits. Not to mention that two other VAs that have voiced Mermaid Man have also passed away, those being Adam West and Joe Alaskey.
(But then again, when has Nick ever given a **** about Stephen Hillenburg's wishes when there's money to be made, right?)
It's possible the retirement only applies to the show, whereas in NASB, no real new content is being made using Mermaid Man beyond him just showing up. There may not even be any need for him to be voiced. Even in Smash, a few characters with voices are totally silent (Isabelle doesn't do any of her signature chatter for instance). So they could probably get some leeway with Mermaid Man's likeness while excluding any voice clips.
It's kind of a weird gray area where there's no real right answer for what to do here.

Want: 40%
On one hand, Mermaid Man is a hilarious character, he'd be a more compelling pick for a Spongebob rep than a lot of other more obvious characters, and if they manage to get Crimson Chin in this too, we can finally see the two of them duke it out. I'd love to see Mermaid Man in the game.
On the other hand, it's hard to know if this would be going against any wishes or anything since with the character being retired, it's hard to know what's allowed or what would be considered disrespectful.

Clyde prediction: 5%

Noms
5x Gaz
3x Blue
2x Stick Stickly

I think that evenly distributes all my noms?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Listen up you villains, I want to eat my meatloaf.

Chance: 20%

Mermaid Man is one of the more notable characters in the show that haven't appeared in NASB, arguably right behind the big three (Squidward, Krabs, and Plankton). So I don't think competition is that stiff, though those three are easily more requested. But Mermaid Man does have the advantage of being a superhero so his moveset speaks for itself. The important question to ask is whether or not putting Mermaid Man in this game would be disrespectful to Ernest Borgnine. Voice acting has been teased a lot for NASB recently, though they'll probably just use archival lines, especially for cases like these. While Mermaid Man has been retired from the show, that doesn't necessarily mean he can't appear again in a speaking role somewhere else. If they put Mermaid Man in this game and they just borrowed some lines from the show, would that be disrespectful? idk, I feel that might be up to Borgnine's family to decide, in which case, we would have no way of knowing. And that's what ultimately makes this score relatively low.

Want: 60%

If you ask me, I wouldn't mind them putting in Mermaid Man as long as they don't bring in a new voice actor. I respect Nickelodeon for retiring the superhero duo, which must have been difficult considering how big they were for the show (I just wish they showed the same courtesy for Stephen Hillenburg in regards to spinoffs). Moving on, I do think Mermaid Man is a hilarious character and would be a delight to see in this game. Although some of the other main characters like the aforementioned ones would feel more natural.

Prediction: Clyde - 6%

Noms: Blue (Blue's Clues) x10

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Mermaid Man

Chance: 25% -
Mermaid Man is in an odd spot. On one hand, he's a very iconic Spongebob character who's also a superhero with unique powers, so his moveset is written for him! He also had an announcer call in the game's files, so while this was just "covering bases" it did show that he was considered a feasible choice. On the other hand, demand and competition continue to be an issue for him. Unless one of the devs REALLY wants Mermaid Man in the game I feel he'll get out-priotitized by the bigger and much more in demand Squidward, Krabs, and Plankton. Them still being in the running is diluting a lot of Mermaid Man's demand, so I only see demand for him growing once we get more of the core Spongebob cast. There's also the issue, as many have mentioned, of his VA passing away. Considering we're getting voice acting, that could be a huge obstacle. I know they could re-use old clips, but the character is officially retired in-show, and they might have to negotiate with Borginine's family to use his voice. So Mermaid Man is definitely a feasible choice, but competition and logistics really hurt him at this point in time.

Want: 60% - As of right now I do have bigger priorities. But as a Spongebob fan and someone who grew up with the show's golden age I've always liked Mermaid Man as a character, and I would be definitely be down for him once Squidward and Krabs are in! Dangan, you mentioned VA replacement being a concern, and while Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated had 'bootleg' VAs for krabs and Mermaid Man, those were old voice clips. The Cosmic Shake is gonna have all of the original VAs. and the devs are clearly passionate about Nickelodeon, so they don't seem like the kind of guys to go for a soundalike/bootleg, they'd be respectful of Ernest Borgnine and his family. So I don't think VA would be a problem! Mermaid Man would be a super fun addition, even if I wanna see Krabs and Squidward get in first!

Nominations:
Rusty Spokes x10

Predictions:
Clyde McBride - 14.75% - In a more fan demand-based environment, along with TLH not being popular in the NASB community and the sisters being more popular than him, I don't expect much confidence. Still, he's a very important character, so we'll see!

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Dangan, you mentioned VA replacement being a concern, and while Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated had 'bootleg' VAs for krabs and Mermaid Man, those were old voice clips. The Cosmic Shake is gonna have all of the original VAs. and the devs are clearly passionate about Nickelodeon, so they don't seem like the kind of guys to go for a soundalike/bootleg, they'd be respectful of Ernest Borgnine and his family. So I don't think VA would be a problem!
I'm not worried about that too much. I just wanted to make that point crystal clear since the topic of respecting a dead person's work is important and I didn't want to leave any room for interpretation. In other words, if I left my statement as "I would not mind them putting in Mermaid Man at all." and then they implement Mermaid Man with a new VO, that makes it seem like I'm fine with that situation too. On the internet I'm just so used to including the exception, that's all.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
WHEN BARNACLE BOY PASSES ME THE BOOF IT'S ****ING OVER FOR Y'ALL
Chance: 10%

In terms of SpongeBob's gallery of recurring side characters, Mermaid Man is certainly one of the more memorable ones, only really topped by the likes of Pearl and Mrs. Puff. Unlike those two, however, Mermaid Man is a geriatric superhero, giving a lot of room for a potential moveset that's simultaneously unique and hilarious. He even has an announcer call buried in the game's files, showing that the thought of adding Mermaid Man has at the very least crossed the devs' minds. However, there are two very big things standing in the bold oldster's way, the first of which being the obvious competition he faces from more demanded and prominent characters like Squidward, Plankton, and Mr. Krabs. But even if the devs do decide to add Mermaid Man before all three of these, there's the considerably more awkward matter of his voice actor. Ever since the passing of the late and great Ernest Borgnine (which apparently happened in 2012, dear god has it already been that long?), Mermaid Man has essentially been retired from the SpongeBob franchise save for some unvoiced cameos and appearances on toys and merchandise. Now, the character has been portrayed by other voice actors before in games like Battle for Bikini Bottom (and he sounds SUPER weird in that game and you can really tell it's not him), and the fact that Mermaid Man has an announcer call at all shows that the devs are potentially willing to add him in spite of this, but it's still a pretty big hurdle to clear considering the likely addition of VA in the near future. All in all, he's a character we could see, but the circumstances just don't line up for him currently.

Want: 40%

Gonna temper my desires here since it would genuinely be cool to see this guy in the game, but at the same time it'd be really awkward to hear him be voiced by someone other than Ernest Borgnine. Some voices are just irreplaceable, and I dunno if even archival voice clips would be able to do the character justice (which is to say nothing of whether it'd even be proper to do so out of respect for the actor). But yeah, wouldn't complain if they added him, I'm just not clamoring for him right now.

Clyde Prediction: 12.34%
This is just a number, but I think if TLH gets another character, most people are expecting it to be one of the Loud sisters and not this guy.

Noms, once again, to Fred the Fish

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Mermaid Man

Chance - 5% - Mermaid Man's biggest snag is his status as a character. Due to his voice actor's death, he has been retired out of respect of not replacing him with a sound alike. He could easily have skipped the line as a parody superhero who is a notable reoccurring character, but I think the retirement and lack of voice actor hold him back majorly.

Want - 40% - He's one of the many memorable SpongeBob characters I wouldn't mind in... if it weren't for his voice actors circumstances. It's certainly would be kinda bittersweet, as doing so kind of might feel like disrespecting the decisions made.

Predicitons

Clyde - 3.65%- The Loud House still has many sisters to go through. I don't currently think there is room for a non-sister.

Nominations

Ms. Bitters X5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
MM&BB

Chance: 1%
Mermaid Man is very popular and all but There's no chance he gets in over the likes of Plankton, Crabs and Squidward. Even after that it's tough competition. I doubt even SpongeBob would make it to 6 reps in a single game, let alone more. And I don't think the devs would be so eager to repeat themselves, they've already done the side character superhero. I also don't really see any demand for him.

Want: 0%
I would have given him a high score. He's a hilarious character and the episodes centered on him are always great. But reading this thread I found out the character was retired with his VA's death. If there's something Nick needs to start doing re:SpongeBob it's respecting the deceased. So yeah, no thanks.

Noms: Ginger
Clyde prediction: lower than the usual sister score. 5.6%

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Abstain.
Clyde prediction: 4%
Noms: Azula x5
DAY OVER
Rate Clybe McBride (from The Loud House). Predict Fred the Fish (from SpongeBob) and Ginger (from As Told By Ginger)

D

Deleted member

Chance - 15%
I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on the Loud House but I feel if we're gonna get a character from it as DLC I would assume it would be one of the sisters. Clyde does have a history of being chosen as the 2nd rep for crossovers but from what I understand everything he could do is pretty much covered already by Lincoln. The general opinion seems to be that fans would just prefer another sister, and something tells me Ludosity probably feel the same.

Want - Abstain

He seems fine but I just simply do not know anything about this show. It's after I stopped watching nick. I wouldn't be mad if we got another Loud House character but I also wouldn't care really.

Noms to Fanboy and Chum Chum (I am genuinely surprised they haven't been nommed yet)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Clyde

Chance: 4%
Clyde is Lincoln's best friend, sure. But the concept of TLH is "boy who has a lot of sisters", so I doubt the show will be represented by anyone other than a Loud sibling. Each of the sisters has her own gimmick/main interest to build a moveset out of. In contrast, from what I can tell Clyde is more of a normal person. He can cook, but idk if that's a big enough part of his character to base an entire moveset around.

Want: 15%
My sole exposure to The Loud House is the animated movie and he's hardly in it so I don't really care. But there are way cooler TLH characters, I'd rather get one of those.

Noms: The Flesh
Predictions: Fred (who?) gets 2.8%, Ginger gets 8.13%

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Chance 8%
Clydes Chances are decently high after all im sure loud house gets atleast 1 other rep although the sisters might be a problem!

Want 12%
The only LH character i would prefer over him would be Lisa because her voice is Hilarious then again NASB Doesnt have voices so that dumb!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Clyde McBride

Chance: 20% -
I think there's a legitimate case to make for Clyde. Sure, he does suffer the same problems most Loud House characters do, namely a lack of popularity with both the devs and the NASB fanbase. And Clyde has the disadvantage of.... not being a cute girl, so among inter-series competition he isn't the top popularity dog. He'd have to sell on his own as DLC, thus he likely would've been better as a base game pick. But popularity isn't everything. Clyde is the only non-Loud main character, and from the beginning he's played a major role in several episodes, being Lincoln's best friend. Thus, unlike what people think, there's actually a lot of material to center a moveset around, he wouldn't be a Lincoln clone at all. Clyde's main gimmick these days is his cooking skills, and there's plenty of wacky cooking antics to draw inspiration from. There's also ARGGH!, a ghost hunting show Lincoln and Clyde (Clyde ESPECIALLY) adore, so you could easily throw in some of the gadgets they use in ARGGH-themed episodes, along with some Luigi inspiration to round him out. There's even his DODGEBALL RAGE, which at one point in the episode he even fires like a machine gun. Imagine that as a chargeable move?! Even throw in an Up Special like Lincoln's, where he could transform into One-Eyed Jack, Ace Savvy's sidekick!

There's also the fact that he's been in every other crossover game The Loud House has appeared in, the formula usually being Lincoln/Clyde/a Sister. Two of these, of course, were Super Brawl World and Super Brawl Universe, which were both fighting games, so the "Clyde is not a fighter" argument is completely moot. He was even in Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2, developed by GameMill. I don't know if Nick pushed for him, but clearly he was important enough to include in base game (as an unlockable no less), so we could see Lincoln/Lucy/Clyde repeat itself.

Finally, there's the fact that Nick may push for him. He's featured heavily in most Loud House media, and as the scope of the show changes they've really been putting a lot of emphasis on Lincoln's friend group (even being used as the face of Season 5 advertising instead of the sisters). He's also always included in the limited merchandise the show gets, the only other ones getting this treatment being Lincoln himself, Lucy, and Luna. So even if he isn't the most popular, he's still seen as extremely important. I know Ludosity picks the characters, and that Clyde (and The Loud House as a whole) would benefit more from a Smash-style climate. But if we're gonna use the corporate push factor as an argument for Dora we need to use it for Clyde as well. If anything, Clyde woule be a keynote character in determining how involved Nick is with the selection process!

Overall, while Clyde suffers from several disadvantages, he has many key advantages that keep him as one of the top dogs of his series, and one of the most likely picks from an already represented show overall.

Want: 60% - When it comes to another Loud House rep I have a hard time deciding, I love a lot of the sisters (and the one I have some issues with, namely Lynn Jr. (the sports girl) is already deconfirmed via stage cameo), but I really like Clyde as well. He's a sweet kid with a lot of interesting ideas and funny antics that could make for a fun character! The only issue I have is thinking of a stage for him. There isn't a location specific to him (unlike Lucy) aside from his house. But you could easily pull a Patrick/Sandy and pair him with a stage that is from his series but isn't "his" per say. There's plenty of iconic locations in the show they could pull from, such as Royal Woods Elementary, Flip's Food and Fuel, Lynn;s Table, Gus' Games and Grub, even the Royal Woods Mall! I think there's a lot you could do with Clyde, and while my priorities are elsewhere right now I think he'd be a very worthwhile addition to the game once we get some of the big requests in!

Nominations:
Rusty Spokes x10
Motu (Motu Patlu) x10

Predictions:
Fred the Fish - 0.12% - Not getting in over Squid/Krabs/Plankton, and is a minor background character. Expecting slightly above Kelpy G. scores, since he's at least reoccurring.

Ginger Foutley - 5.83% - There's not much demand for Ginger, and the demand for another Klasky-Csupo show goes to Rocket Power or more Rugrats. Ginger's also from a very serious and down-to-earth slice of life show focusing on heavy topics, so I'm not expecting much inspiration to put her in a wacky fighting game.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Anime Nosebleed Trope

Chance: 15%

Clyde seems to inexplicably make a lot of appearances in crossovers and promotional stuff over the other Louds. That's already been covered better than I could, so Clyde's got a better shot at getting in than a lot of the sisters do.
But unless Nick pushes for him, I don't see it happening. He's really not all that interesting a character pick compared to the likes of Luna or Luann, and he's most certainly not demanded or popular with even the few NASB fans who are also TLH fans. Ludosity pioritizes coolness in secondary character picks, so with that in mind...

I could not think of a more boring choice for a third TLH rep. You have all these characters with crazy gimmicks you can work off of, Clyde, while he could conceivably get a moveset separate from Lincoln, would still just feel like covering the same ground as Lincoln. Clyde just isn't all that interesting to me from what small amount of TLH I've seen (and his nosebleed gag gets old fast) so I'd really rather have another sister.

Predictions
Fred: 0.5% (man we're really running out of characters to talk about, huh?)
Ginger: 5%

Noms
3x Blue
2x Stick Stickly

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Clyde Bruckman's Final Rep.....oh wait this is a completely different Clyde

Chance: 5%

This is just my gut feeling here. Sure, Clyde is Lincoln's best friend and is a recurring character so he is possible. But considering this show is all about the 11 million siblings who seem to be the most popular characters, I have my doubts. Not to mention from what I've seen he doesn't have much to make him stand out when it comes to moveset, compared to the sisters. I think he is simply out prioritized in a considerably large main cast.

I don't mean to keep giving these characters zeroes, it's just that we keep rating Loud House characters, lol. That's because this is a show I don't care about.

Noms: Blue )Blue's Clues) x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Clybe McBride

Chance - 0.25% - Outside of tradition of how the series is presented, there isn't much going for him. He simply lacks the ideas, interesting concepts, or gimmick that would make him an interesting character, especially when the Sisters hog all the spotlight.

Want - 40% - Don't care for the loud house, but I would at least appreciate the sisters over him.

Predictions

Fred the Fish - 0.45% - The "MY LEG!" guy? An... interesting choice.

Ginger - 3.72% - A bit too realistic for this game...

Nominations

Ms. Bitters X5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Clyde
Yeah, sure, Clyde has appeared in a decent amount of crossover games already. I don't see him showing up in this one any time soon, though. Fan demand seems to be a pretty important thing for this game, and TLH as a whole is lacking in that department. If anyone from the series get requested, it's usually one of the Loud sisters. Almost no one wants Clyde in the game. If the higher-ups at Nick were the ones picking characters for this game, I could see them saying Clyde should be in. But thankfully they aren't.
While I do enjoy The Loud House, I never really cared for Clyde that much. He isn't really that interesting and I'm not sure why he gets prioritized in crossover games so much. I'm kinda glad that this game seems to be an exception.

Fred prediction: 1%
Ginger prediction: 4%
Noms: Jon Arbuckle x5, Azula x5
DAY OVER
Rate Fred the Fish from SpongeBob and Ginger from As Told by Ginger. Predict Rusty Spokes from The Loud House and Jon Arbuckle from Garfield,

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Aw, I expected you to have Clyde's back! D: Still, opinion respected!

Fred the Fish

Chance: 0.8% -
Has a higher chance than Keply G., that's for sure! He's at least a reoccuring gag character, is just as memorable, and is probably one of the most common background characters on the show, especially during the golden years. Still, there's no way he's getting in over the show's core cast, and there's little to no fan demand for him. Plus, the game is in need of heavy hitters for DLC right now, and as funny as "MY LEG!" is, he's not going to be marketable to a wider audience. So I can't see him at all unless there's a sudden surge of fan demand for him.

Want: 10% - Don't get me wrong, Fred the Fish is great, and that gag is a classic! Though with all of the core cast members and other big Nick lynchpins still needing to get in, I really don't think his inclusion would be a good thing right now. Furthermore, much of his moveset would be based around hurting his leg, while what makes the joke work so well to begin with is that it happens off screen. They actually did an episode in a recent season titled "My Leg!" where they show Fred's leg getting injured in all sorts of ways on-screen, but it doesn't feel like a very pleasant concept for a fighter.

Ginger Foutley

Chance: 5% -
As Told by Ginger, while very well received, was never the most popular Nicktoon, and is often overshadowed by its' siblings within Klasky Csupo. Unfortunately, this translates into her fan demand status as well. Quite frankly, it's nonexistant. I've never even seen her on any polls, and if she is, she likely doesn't do very well. When it comes to Klasky Csupo people want more Rugrats, and if not that then either Rocket Power or more Thornberrys. Ginger tends to be a complete afterthought. Though for good reason. She's a very down-to-earth character in a realistic/down-to-earth show that focuses on serious and heavy topics. Thus she doesn't come to mind when thinking of a wacky, cartoony, platformer fighting game. While the show does have some funnier moments, those are usually reserved for the antics of her little brother Carl and his best friend Hoodsie; Ginger herself rarely gets in on it. Granted, Avatar is a serious show as well, but characters like Aang and Toph have no shortage of goofy moments as well! With all of that in mind, unless one of the devs really likes her I don't see her being part of the DLC lineup.

Want: 10% - Ginger was a good-hearted character and never did anything to bother me, so I will give her that! She was a very sweet girl despite her flaws! Though the show was mainly geared for teenagers, and at the time it was running I was still a kid, so I didn't go through any of the issues Ginger dealt with and thus didn't find her very relatable. I did get some enjoyment out of the show, but it was primarily from the Carl and Hoodsie antics mentioned earlier rather than what Ginger and her friends were doing. I feel like the Carl/Hoodsie duo would make for a more creative and interesting moveset, so if Ginger was to get a rep I'd prefer them instead. Normally I don't like the idea of Springmanning characters all the time, that mindset gets very irritating. But in this case I just can't think of anything for Ginger, unless they took her journal-writing trait and made her fight with a huge pen or something, but that would compromise her character. I just think that Ginger clashes too much with the tone of the game, and doesn't bring anything to the table that would make up for it.

Nominations:
Motu (Motu Patlu) x10

Predictions:
Rusty Spokes - 1.37% - Suffers from the same problems Clyde does, but with the added caveat of not getting crossover/merchandising priority. So I'm not expecting high scores. Which is a shame, that face was MADE for HD!

Jon Arbuckle - 14.87% - We just got Garfield himself and there isn't a huge amount of fan demand for Jon, so I'm not expecting confident scores. Though still giving him something decent, the Garfield franchise's meme potential alone does boost him, and in general he's a crowdpleaser.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Freddi Fish and the Case of the Constantly Broken Leg
Chance: 0%.
...He's a background character. His role is even more insignificant than Piranha Plant's is in Mario. There's plenty of SpongeBob rep ideas involving actual characters, we don't need to scrape the absolute bottom of the barrel.

Want: 0%.
I'd basically be repeating myself if I explained why I don't want him.

Why Klasky-Csupo Character Designs Don't Work with Everything
Chance: 1%.
If there's anything you remember ATBG for, it's that its character designs are Klasky-Csupo's intentionally ugly characters at their absolute worst. Not because they're uglier than ever, but because they're too inappropriate for something more serious, dramatic, grounded in reality etc. than their previous shows have been. And there's a big problem for fans wanting her or Ludosity wanting to make her playable: The show's tone screams "wacky fighting game character" as much as it screams "let's keep making our weird, deliberately ugly designs", IE not at all. The only point in her favor is that Paramount+ seems to push users towards watching ATBG if they're interested in Nicktoons, but I think if they want to rep ATBG they'd have to pull a Reptar/Nigel/Oblina/Helga and bring in Carl with his love of gross things. And have the announcer specify that he's Carl Foutley so as to not alienate anyone who wants an asthmatic llama-lover.

Want: 0%.
I was barely a fan of the show. The only things that vaguely interested elementary school-me were Carl and Hoodsey's shenanigans, and because of said shenanigans I'd think they'd be better fits anyway.

Noms: Henry and June X5

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
breathe in
MY LEG

I actually think he's marginally more likely than Kelpy G is! Whereas Kelpy G only has a scant few appearances to his name and none of them particularly notable, Fred's at least recurring and probably the most recognizable SpongeBob extra, be it due to the song he sings in the Jellyfish Hunter episode, his iconic "MY LEG!" joke, or just being one of the more commonly used background characters on the show. That said, he's not happening. Even if he does have potential meme factor propping him up, he is still just a background character in a show with more main and secondary characters than you can count on all 13 of your fingers. He's just too crowded out at the moment to be considered as anything other than a "**** it" pick.

Want: 20%

...I do still kinda want it, though. Don't get me wrong, putting Fred the Fish in this game when characters like Squidward and Mr. Krabs haven't even been added yet would be an OBJECTIVELY horrible decision... but wouldn't it be at least a little funny? If anything, the weird left-field picks like Nigel and Powdered Toast Man are what I respect NASB for the most, and Fred would embody that spirit more than probably anyone else. That said, the novelty would wear off pretty quickly and leave a potentially unpleasant aftertaste (y'know, like a certain potted plant), so I feel just about anyone else from the series would be better in the long run.

Abstain on Ginger because I know literally nothing about her or her show. (Judging by these ratings, though, it sounds like she's not getting in.)

Rusty Spokes Prediction: 0.87%
TLH characters are notoriously crowded out as is, and unlike Clyde and the sisters I don't even know who this guy is. That tells me he has an absolutely negligible chance of even being considered.

Jon Prediction: 11.5%
If we get a second Garfield rep, it's either gonna be him or Odie, and I think in that hypothetical scenario most are expecting it to be Odie. (Mainly because, well, what would Jon do?)

Noms to...
...uhh...
...Sheen?

LimeTH

Smash Lord
REV UP THOSE FRYERS!

Chance: 0.5%

Fred's at least more likely than Kelpy G.
They actually did an episode in a recent season titled "My Leg!" where they show Fred's leg getting injured in all sorts of ways on-screen
Absolute masterclass in how to drive a running gag into the ground until it's not funny anymore.

The CHOCOLAAAATE guy would be funnier.

Someone once told me the grass is much greener

Chance: 7%

I don't think Ginger is totally out of the question, but she's not particularly likely either. Moreso that Kappa Mikey or Yakkity Yak or a 2010's character, but less likely than most of her other fellow 2000's alumni. Her show is a lot more mature and down to Earth, but stuff like that has never really mattered much in crazy video game crossovers.

Want: 10%
I wouldn't complain.

Noms
5x Gaz.
Kinda wanna try and get her a double day with Miss Bitters.

Predictions
Jon: 2%
Rusty Spokes: 0%

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"MY LEG!"

Chance - 4%
A pretty minor, if memorable background character with one of the most iconic gags from the whole show. But we've still yet to get the most obvious Spongebob reps, Squidward, Krabs and Plankton. And even then there are a lot of side characters who would probably be chosen before him. Nick clearly are aware of the memes around him. A little while back he got his own episode. If this game gets a ton of DLC then maybe there'd on a chance they'd add him as a gag, but right be I think they can only really afford to focus on the essentials.

Want- 15%
I'd definitely want other characters first. But I can't deny that this would be pretty funny. You could have moves referencing the other background fish, and of course you'd have to have a MY LEG move somehow. It would be so silly that if it somehow did get in I wouldn't be mad at all.

Abstain on Ginger. Don't know much about the show.

Noms to Azula.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Fred the Fish

Chance - 0.5% - Ever since the "My Leg!" episode, he actually became a reoccurring character. Nothing as major or important as some, but probably on the same level as, say, Larry the Lobster. That said, SpongeBob still has what could be considered core members missing, and he feels unlikely to get when when roster space is this tight.

Want - 40% - Thanks to formerly being just an extra with no name, several other famous SpongeBob moments can be attributed to him. He's one of the unlucky fish who flag-twirled himself into a blimp in "Band Geeks," was the one who said "Rev up those fryers," in "Arrgh!", and went "DEUUEAUGH" in "Something Smells." Needless to say, he probably has a fountain of potential, but honestly I think they should wait until we start needing to stretch out the roster.

Ginger

Chance - 1% - While Ginger is the obvious representative, sadly she just isn't likely. In addition to not being that popular in the first place, the series she comes from doesn't jell well with the rest of the series. It's far more grounded than even Hey Arnold, and overall takes itself a bit too seriously to not fit in with the rest of the cast. I just don't see it.

Want - 50% - I have no strong feelings one way or another. I don't care.

Predictions

Jon - 1.43% - Not while Odie still exists.

Rusty Spokes - 0.08% - Wow, this really is going down the totem pole.

Nominations

Ms. Bitters X5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Fred but not the one with the annoying voice

Chance: 0%
This is literally just an extra that got his name and day in the limelight because SpongeBob is a creatively bankrupt zombie of a show. There's nothing here. No personality, no skillset, no story. Just a forced gag. There exists no demand for this. The devs aren't trolls that would add something like this just for the memes. There are at least 20 SpongeBob characters that would make it into NASB over this guy. And lest we forget, this is paid DLC. Who would buy this guy for the price of a Shredder?

...Why?

Thus Sprach Ginger

Chance: abstain
I never watched the show nor was I alive during the time it was airing, so I have no clue.

"But GoodGrief, weren't you the guy that nominated Ginger?"

Yes indeed I was

"What are you, like, some kind of moron?"

First off, that's rude, and second, yes I am. But also I figured I might as well nominate characters from shows I don't know because there ought to be some conversation.

"...fine, whatever. Do your thing I guess"

Thank you!

Want: 100%
From what I gather the show was excellent and kinda groundbreaking in how it was character development and continuity-heavy despite being a slice of life/sitcom cartoon. So sure! I love getting to know new stuff through crossovers.

Noms: The Flesh
Jon prediction: 12%
Rusty Spokes: idk who this is but people are going low so 0%

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
ahem....My LeG!

There is a teeny tiny chance of him being possible if the devs wanted a joke character. Otherwise, no. Even with his iconic meme factor and having an entire episode dedicated to him, he is still a minor character in the grand scheme of things. I can see them relegating a slot for him in the sequels, but right now the devs need some hard-hitting characters, which they most certainly know. While Fred is from Spongebob and again, has his memes, I'm not sure if that makes him a safe enough bet versus the main cast who also have memes as well.

Want: 30%

I mean at least he's one of the most notable background characters? I'm not sure how I would feel about him over time but I know I would laugh my behind off if he was added. We should get some of the main cast first, but otherwise I wouldn't be that mad if he was added.

Ginger Ale

Chance: 10%

I had to look this one up and I think I actually recognize it. Neat. Anyway, I actually think she has a semi-decent chance. While her show is stuck between that awkward time period where she's not necessarily nostalgic for 90s kids, nor do many 2000s kids seem to remember her, there is still merit here. The show was nominated for 3 awards and it stands out for being one of the rare cartoons at the time that had ongoing continuity where characters actually went through different grades throughout the show and they changed their clothes every episode. So for what it's worth, As Told by Ginger is memorable in some ways.

As for the show being mature compared to the rest of the roster, I don't see how there's an issue here. This is a game where Shredder can fight CatDog, any "serious" character would already be toned down just from the goofy nature of the game. Still, does this mean Ginger is likely? I don't think so. I don't really hear any demand for her and I imagine they would really have to delve into the series to find moveset potential.

Want: 50%

I remember trying to watch this show a little bit when I was like 6, but I wasn't a fan of the more down to earth tone of the show when I was so used to slapstick. And I'm not a fan of that art style. Still, I actually think this show is kind of cool. I mean how many cartoons do you hear of where the characters actually age up and go through different stages of school? So while I wouldn't be hyped for this at all, I do think it's a notable enough piece of Nick history that I wouldn't mind seeing it get some representation.

Predictions:
Jon - 9%
Rusty Spokes - 3% (If this is the Loud House character we are talking about, I'm not fancying his chances when he is just a supporting character in an overly bloated cast)

Noms: Blue (Blue's Clues) x15

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Calculation time
Clyde McBride
Chance: 8.53%
Want: 18.14%
Winner of predictions is DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 , who predicted 6%. You get 5 extra noms.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now ratings.

Wait a minute, fish don't have legs!
Yeah, no. He's just a recurring background character who is mainly known for his funny leg injuries. There's no reason they would add him over the highly requested Squidward, Krabs, and Plankton.
Want: 0.1%
No thanks. We need Squidward first.

Ginger

Chance: 6%
Well, uh, she's certainly the main character of a Nick show. Not one that's super well remembered or talked about ever, but a Nick show nonetheless. Her chances aren't entirely nonexistent, but she definitely isn't getting added any time soon.
Want: Abstain
I'm not sure if I've ever even watched her show before, and if I did, then clearly I don't remember it.

Jon preddiction: 25%
Rusty prediction: 0.15%
Noms: Snap x10

DAY OVER
Rate Jon Arbuckle from Garfield and Rusty Spokes from The Loud House. Predict Azula from Avatar.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
HELLO MR SPRINGTIME!

chances: 50% probably a little bias on this one but i can see it. jon is undoubtedly the second main character of the franchise just slightly ahead of odie. so if they were to go for a second garfield character he is certainly joint front runner. far from being an unknown character jon is known among comic strip and cartoon fans alike. fun fact, jon was originally the main character of the strip until the creator was told that his cat seemed to get all the best lines, which he does, so they shifted focus. ill admit i may be overestimating the chances of another garfield character but hey if nick went to the trouble of buying paws they might as well get plenty of use.

want: 100% i dont know if ive made it clear that i love garfield. grafield's long suffering owner would be great to see, him beating up shredder? best thing since jigglypuff beating up ganondorf. i feel he should have a moveset based around the fact that he is very accident prone, give him moves where his foes get caught up in the calamity. all in all an amazing inclusion. plus he comes with a great costume

abstain on the other. see the other loud house characters for why. noms to sabrina spellmen

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Now where could my pipe be?
Chance: 5%

Jon is certainly a Garfield character. That's about the most he has going for him IMO. Granted, he is the most recurring character next to the orange cat himself, but even then, it's not Jon you see on all the posters, backpacks, novelty phones, clocks, plushes, pillows, and youth bowling alley signs; it's Garfield along with maybe Odie if they need a second character. Simply put, Jon isn't pushed as hard as other characters (even ones that are less recurring), probably because Jon's intentionally designed as a pathetically average dude with no redeeming qualities. That doesn't exactly scream "marketable," especially when you're talking about a franchise that practically exists solely to sell merchandise to kids these days. It doesn't bode well in terms of moveset variety, either; I'm sure you could design a moveset for Jon based on various gags and bits from the Garfield strips, but imagine what they could do with Odie, a character with a more unique physique and more overtly cartoonish antics, instead. Unless Garfield somehow gets three characters in this game, I don't think Jon's gonna stand out to the developers enough for them to add him.

Want: 5%

Nah. Jon's not exactly an offensive character, but frankly there's a reason he got phased out as the main character in favor of his lazy pet cat. Ironically, fan projects like Realfield and lasagnacat have done more to endear Jon to me than any of the official Garfield media, but the fact is he's still just a guy. No matter what he does, Jon always fails, and with a few exceptions, his pet cat always has one over on him. Jon functions best as a butt monkey, the eternal object of everyone's scorn and mockery. Letting Jon beat up Garfield (or anyone, really) would kind of ruin the joke in my opinion, and that's to say nothing of how frankly boring he is. Like, I legitimately can't think of anything unique about him that you can ascribe to a moveset. He's a cartoonist? I guess? Then again, how often does Jon actually draw cartoons these days?

Abstain on Rusty Spokes, because oh my GOD whose child is this he looks disgusting.

Azula Prediction: 28%
I'm expecting around Sokka-level ratings for this one. She's a popular and important Avatar character, but one that is pretty clearly beaten out by Zuko on all fronts. She could happen, but is up against some fierce competition.

Noms to She-
...nah, **** that. We're doing Bubble Bass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom