• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - NASB1 Edition! See ya next game

Status
Not open for further replies.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so basically what was his idea alt like garfields caped avanger? abstain noms to jon arbuckle

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honorary Hot Topic Mascot
Chance: 5%

GIR is an incredibly popular character. That much is impossible to ignore in any discussion of the character. However, his chances are pretty much shot down for NASB in specific due to already being a part of Zim's kit. Now, this hasn't stopped anyone from being playable before, and as some have been quick to point out, GIR has another more iconic appearance they could use to differentiate between Zim's-Neutral-Special GIR and Actually-Playable GIR, but to me, it indicates a lack of future plans for the character at least as far as this game goes. While it is technically possible that the devs held off on using Dog GIR for Zim's human disguise alt so they could add it in later as a playable character, I honestly think it's more likely that Duty Mode GIR was just easier for the devteam to add. They are surprisingly strapped for time and resources, as they themselves have admitted countless times, so it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. If Zim gets another character, I'd expect Dib, Professor Membrane, or maybe even Gaz before the devs decide to double back on everyone's favorite Hot Topic t-shirt design.

Want: 10%

Yeah... I dunno about this one. While I certainly wouldn't complain about GIR being added as his own character, honestly I think he fits perfectly well as a controllable projectile commanded by Zim. It's pretty in-character for him, especially how he runs forward arms flailing and just explodes on the nearest bystander. That's such a GIR thing to do. GIR is honestly one of the most fun tools to use in the entire game, and I'd hate it if Zim had to lose it in a future game so he could be playable. If he at least keeps GIR the move, fine I guess, but as far as Zim reps go, my heart belongs to...

Professor Membrane Prediction: 14.10%
This dude had a KICKASS showing in the Invader Zim movie, showing him off as a viable combatant even more than Dib. Still, outside of the movie, he is kind of just a background character who has some funny lines, so we'll see where that all lands him.

Otto Rocket Prediction: 16.8%
This is just a number, I have no idea how people perceive Rocket Power's chances.

Now that the good doctor's officially on the docket, I guess I can nominate someone else now.
Nominating Fred the Fish

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
GIR! WHAT ARE YOU DOING FIGHTING BY YOURSELF? YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HELPING MEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Chance: 15%.

Yes, GIR is already Zim's neutral special...
...but disguised Zim doesn't summon disguised GIR...
...but that could be because GIR is completely covered in his disguise while Zim just has a toupee and contacts, thus requiring more modeling work...

...but let's face it, even if they just had GIR be in Duty Mode to skip out on more modeling, we're still talking about a highly marketable character here. He's not associated with scene girls and Hot Topic and other 2000s stereotypes for nothing, and Ludosity themselves know GIR's marketable, as on the very title screen of the game, they have GIR be on the opposite side of Zim.

...BUT how controllable GIR is within Zim's own kit could be their way of cashing in on that marketability too.

Want: 45%.
Same deal as Dib, I can deal with Zim just having Zim. GIR wouldn't even have the same "opening the floodgates" appeal as Isaac in Smash would to me, seeing as how there's no ATs in the game nor any other instances of a fighter being assisted by another character.

Noms: Purple and Brown X5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Best boy

Looking at all the other ratings, both sides do bring up really good points. But ultimately I'm not convinced. Sure, just because a character is in someone else's moveset doesn't disqualify them outright. But it really makes you question what the devs are thinking. From my perspective, I get the vibe that the devs saw him as a good fit for to be in one of Zim's moves and that's about it. As for them not referencing the disguise in any shape or form, that is odd indeed, but like someone else mentioned it gives me "Porky doesn't have a spirit so they must be saving him for later" vibes. Sometimes weird situations like that pop up and while it could lead to something, odds are it probably means nothing. I'll still leave the door open slightly since GIR is super popular and them not having the disguise at all is questionable, though it's possible it could be added as a skin down the road.

Want: 70%

Overall I'm fine with Zim being the sole rep of his series. But if GIR did get in I'd probably end up loving him. He is such a lovable goofball and the disguise is the cutest thing ever.

Noms: Kappa Mikey x10

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Dog Disguise GIR

Chance: 1% -
Yeah, I'm really not seeing this one. GIR is already a part of ZIM's moveset, and it feels comparable to, like people have mentioned, the Porky situation in Smash. Though GIR has even less since he's already in the game in some form. Yes, he DOES have an individual announcer call, but so do Ren and Stimpy, and I doubt we're ever getting either of them standalone. He's also super controllable within the moveset and likely had the most effort put into him out of any in-moveset character appearance. One could ask why Duty Mode GIR was chosen instead of Dog Disguise for Zim's human alt, but it likely comes down to the game's budget and resources. Changing GIR's eye color for a complex-animated model was way more feasible than what the Dog Disguise would require.

Looking into the way alts are implemented, the alt meshes that required model changes (Zim's toupee, Lucy's glasses, Spongebob's hat, etc) are all separate models that get attached to the characters directly, and said models are attached in ways where they don't have to be animated. Dog Disguise GIR would require an ALL ENCOMPASSING model that animates alongside the GIR model and would have to animate WELL. Either that or they would have to make a custom Dog Disguise model and rig and animate that separately. So it more than likely was due to a lack of resources and priorities being elsewhere, rather than any real need to leave the door open.

There's also the matter of fan demand. GIR's a popular character among Zim fans, but almost nobody's asking for GIR in a dog costume as a playable character. All of the fan demand is centered around Dib or his father, and this is a game where fan demand means more than ever, so even in that regard I don't see GIR slipping in. And most of the DLC is likely to be unrepresented franchises (and even in terms of represented franchises there's way bigger characters that could take those slots, and likely will).

He just has way too much going against him for me to see him as having much of a chance, and I don't believe the arguments for him have enough of a foundation to get me to raise my score. Still, adding 1% since he's first party.

Want: 0% - It's no secret that I don't like Invader Zim. GIR was one of the things I actually did like about the show, but I'm fine with him being part of ZIM's moveset instead. If anything, I think he should've played a bigger role, since he has plenty of useful functions that Zim could make use of. But as a separate character, especially during a DLC period, I'm not interested at all. Zim isn't begging for another rep (though it does deserve a better stage), and I have loads of much higher priorities for the DLC. If we ever got standalone GIR I'd want him in his normal look anyway, I was never a huge fan of the dog suit.

Also LimeTH LimeTH , you forgot about the Tuna! No more rocket fuel for you!

Nominations:
Yakkity Yak x10

Predictions:
Professor Membrane - 14.57% - One of the more popular choices for a second Zim rep, while I see more people leaning towards new series for DLC I do see him at least getting some decent scores.

Otto Rocket - 25.68% - Otto's in a weird spot, benefitting from the devs' 90's bias but at the same time not being particularly popular with the 90's or 2000's crowds. Still, Rocket Power had a big presence in the early 2000's, so this is going to be interesting!

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
GIR

Chance - 0.5% - Never say never, but right now GIR has become Toad. While their could be a move for him down the line, overall I think if they wanted to make a move set for GIR they wouldn't have made him part of Zim's move set.

Want - 50% - I recognize how popular he his, but I just don't care. There are other Zim characters I would rather get in right now anyways, and I never cared for ZIM in the first place.

Predictions

Prof. Membrane - 6.34% - Could be good due to Florpus, but otherwise not seen as likely.

Otto Rocket - 11.65% - I dunno.

Nominations

DreamWorks Character X5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Sorry for the delay, here's the calculations for Chin.
The Crimson Chin
Chance: 12.81%
Want: 65.63%
Winner of predictions is DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire , who predicted 12.73%. You get 100 extra noms! Don't spend them all in one place.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for today's rating, I'm gonna abstain.
Otto prediction: 16%
Membrane prediction: 11%
Noms: Yakkity Yak x5
DAY OVER
Rate Otto Rocket and Professor Membrane. Predict Kappa Mikey and Yakkity Yak.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
TOAST!
Chance: 10%

Professor Membrane feels like the only other Nicktoon dad would could actually stand a shot getting in besides Hugh. (Yeah let's be real Timmy's Dad ain't happening). The Membrane of Science is an absolutely insane badass and apparently had a stellar showing of combat ability in the ZIM movie (I don't have Netflix, sue me). He's a hilarious character and would be a fantastic wildcard pick.
That being said, I can't really see him getting in before Dib, Gaz, or even Dog GIR. He's not quite prominent enough a character for it (I think he has less screentime than Miss Bitters), and the other three out of four main characters feel like they'd outrank him in terms of getting in. And like I said, another ZIM character doesn't feel terribly likely for whatever reason.

Want: 95%
Yeah I don't know how many more ways to say "I want another Invader ZIM character". That said I think I'd want Dib, Gaz and Dog GIR first but if he gets in over any of them it's still another ZIM character and a damn good pick at that.

WOOGITY WOOGITY WOOGITY.
Chance: 35%

I keep forgetting Rocket Power is technically a 90's cartoon. It came out in the latter half of 1999, but the crux of it's run was in the early 2000's and boy oh boy does it feel like a 2000's show. Only 14 half hours out of 71 came out in '99, it's easy to forget it's actually 90's.
Though with it technically being 90's just barely, that makes it one of the last remaining 90's shows to get a character in the show, alongside Rocko's Modern Life and The Angry Beavers. This means it has more chance than half of 2000's shows and all of 2010's shows, but probably less chance than the other half of 2000's and the two fellow remaining 90's shows.
I guess if anyone, Otto is kind of the main character? It'd be either him or Reggie.

Want: 15%
I hate Otto Rocket so much that I'd be alright with him getting in just so I can finally give him the ass beating he deserves.

3x noms for Gaz
2x noms for Stick Stickly

Prediction:
Kappa Mikey and Yakkity Yak both get a 0%

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Professor Membrane

Chance: 10% - Not quite sure what to say on the Toast Professor. He, along with his son, is the fan demand frontrunner for a second ZIM rep. Florpus gives him some recency and he has plenty of moveset potential, but right now the DLC likely isn't going to prioritize new characters for already repped series. And even in that category, he's got stiff competition from characters like Zuko and Squidward. Not much to say on him, he isn't as important to the show as Dib, who has equal fan demand, so if Zim does get another rep I can see Dib edging out.

Want: 10% - Extreme dislike for Invader Zim aside, he does seem pretty funny, so I'll give him a little extra. But even that aside, there's characters and franchises that I'd MUCH rather see. Not much else to say, really.

Otto Rocket

Chance: 40% - Otto's in a very interesting spot. He's TECHNICALLY a 90's character due to Rocket Power's late 1999 air date, and that incurs devs bias. Furthermore, we have the other three Klasky Csupo shows in Rugrats, Thornberry's and Real Monsters, so Rocket Power's naturally next in line (I know Ginger exists but she feels like a much different category than the rest due to her tenure on TEENick). On the other side of the coin, his show, while known, isn't particularly popular, so fan demand isn't helping him against the big speculation contenders. Though one thing that helps Otto in particular is that he's indisputably the one in the spotlight, there's no demand for someone like Reggie or Squid instead. Though in a game where fan demand is more important than ever, that's really going to hold him back. You never see him discussed much at all in fact, it really is interesting.

Want: 80% - Other priorities aside, I genuinely liked Rocket Power back in the day despite the lack of care for skateboard culture. The characters were goofy and the warm, sunny vibe was always a good time! It even got a lot of TV moves which I really remember fondly. Even with the super late 90's airdate I consider it an honorary 2000's show, it had its' heyday during the 2000's and that era is begging for more attention! A character that's constantly rollerblading and does stunts for all of his moves actually sounds like a super interesting and fun idea to play with, and the loads of different sports Otto plays lends itself well to varied material for said moveset. And while Otto wasn't my absolute favorite (Twister, Ray Rocket, and Tito were my favorites), he's known for hogging the spotlight sometimes, so him taking the spot feels super fitting for him. And let's talk about that STAGE! I'm an absolute sucker for tropical stuff, so a stage on Mad Town overlooking the ocean and pier with palm trees and warm sun sounds like a great time! Along with a stage cameo from Tito chasing down a Kiwi trying to get his vegemite back! Bring on Otto, I think it'd be a fun time!

Nominations:
Rusty Spokes x50
Clyde McBride x40
Mr. X x20

Predictions:
Kappa Mikey - 4.64% - He isn't owned by Nick directly so that's gonna hurt his scores a ton, but I'm willing to give him a little bit due to his modest fan demand.

Yakkity Yak - 0.16% - Not owned by Viacom and no fan demand whatsoever doesn't inspire good scores.

You get 100 extra noms! Don't spend them all in one place.
I couldn't help it, I had to nominate our favorite orange-haired ladies man! Because he would so do this himself! XD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Chance - 40%
Rocket Power is from that weird spot where its right in the middle of the 90s and the 2000s. While it's hardly as obscure as some of the other shows we've rated, it's not one that everyone talks about, I don't hear it mentioned that often. One thing this show does have going for it is that I think we're on the crux of a late 90s skateboard culture revival, I've been seeing a lot of nostalgia for that era as of late. I feel if a dev pushes for Rocket Power content there's a chance, but it could just as easily be left out.

Want- 35%
I didn't really watch a lot of Rocket Power growing up but it seems like a fun show. I wouldn't mind a character getting in. I think a character who uses a skateboard to fight could have a very fun and unique moveset. The Tony Hawk in Smash Bros moveset I always wanted. I have a slight preference towards characters like Reggie or Tito, but I'd be fine with Otto.

Science
Chances- 10%
A second Invader Zim character is a pretty iffy prospect as it stands already. Add onto that the competition with other characters, including his own son, and i feel the chances of the professor getting in aren't looking particularly great. He's memorable and got a good showing in the Netflix film, so I didn't give him too low a rating, but I don't think his chances are that high.

Want - 50%
Yeah. He's great. Every scene he's in is a joy. I would kind of prefer Dib if we where to get a second Zim rep. But I wouldn't say no to his dad.

Noms to Fred the Fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
before i abstain i would like to make the obvious rocket based joke

Prepare for trouble! And make that double!

abstain. noms to jon arbuckle

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Otto Rocket

Chance: 23%
Rocket Power is the 90s condensed into one show. With all its extreme, radical, tubular skater and surfer lingo and attitude it's often derided as a show that immediately dated itself. However mocked as it may be, it's remembered, and provides a source of ironic enjoyment to subsequent generations. Therefore I think it's in a good spot with the devs; a rep would be comedic by nature and have a certain surprise factor. There's also moveset potential: a skateboarding moveset sounds quite fun.

In this scenario I think they'd go with Otto or another one of the kids just because going with the adults would look weird for this kind of playstyle. Not impossible but I'd be surprised.

Want: 100%
Sure why not

Abstain on the other guy

Noms: Ginger
Kappa Mikey predictions: a criminally low 2.45%
Yak: 5.6%

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

I expressed pessimism in the prospect of another Zim rep back in my Dib writeup, but if we are to get one, I think Professor Membrane's in a not-too-distant second place behind his son. Before Florpus, his score probably would've been close to 0, but the thing is his showing in that movie was genuinely the most memorable thing about it and gave him so many neat tools that could work well in a fighting game. (For those who haven't seen it, he fires kamehamehas and hadoukens out of his hands with plasma gauntlets. Tell me that's not ****ing AWESOME.) Now normally, this might not mean much, but considering these devs have been prone to picking characters on the basis of simply being the cooler option - Helga over Arnold, Nigel over Eliza, Reptar over any of the babies, etc. - I think this gives Professor Membrane a potential edge here. Granted, Florpus is about all he has going for him, and if the devs weren't grabbed by his appearance in that, he's probably not getting in, which combined with the generally low probability of Zim getting another rep in the first place makes the good doctor's chances pretty low.

Want: 90%

While not my most wanted, Professor Membrane is such a cool character that I can't NOT want him in, quite frankly. Imagine that clip I posted above as an Fstrong or a Strong Dash Attack or something. It's just too good. Zim's also one of my favorite Nicktoons (I know, how original), so of course I'd like to see another Zim rep at some point.

Abstain on Want and Chance for Otto

Yakkity Yak Prediction: 4.5%
I honestly thought this dude was a Ren & Stimpy character before I looked him up.

Kappa Mikey Prediction: 1.45%
Yeah.

Noms to Fred the Fish

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
No Shoobies Allowed
Chance: 30%.

Like Daggett, he has points in his favor in the form of Ludosity and Nick wanting 90s nostalgia. Unlike The Angry Beavers however, Rocket Power is usually now seen in a more negative spotlight, being seen as trying too hard to be HIP and RADICAL with the kids and not getting the same level of 90s nostalgia pandering as many other 90s Nicktoons as a result. But since it tried so hard to be AWESOME and EPIC for late 90s kids into extreme sports, that in return means obvious moveset potential, showcasing a lot more extreme sporting than just Michelangelo's light dash attack. Unfortunately it takes more than moveset potential for a character to be DLC worthy, and Ludosity or Nick might not want people to pay for a Nicktoon that as a result of its modern reputation doesn't get the biggest slice of the 90's nostalgia pie. But at least its slice is bigger than KaBlam's, so...

Want: 80%.
Maybe because I haven't rewatched it, or maybe because I still play extreme sports...video games to this day, my memories of Rocket Power have not been tainted by thinking it was trying too hard to pander to the fellow kids. And I still watched it plenty as a child. It was on a lot when it was still getting episodes, as someone who religiously watched Nick as a kid I couldn't not watch it.

Noms: The Flesh X5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The 90s in a nutshell.

Chance: 20%

It's hard to say. While Rocket Power did come out at the tail-end of the 90s, it could still be nostalgic for the devs. But on the other hand, would it be appealing to 2000s kids? I remember seeing reruns of it around 2005 but I'm not sure if most people from my generation would remember it all that well. So the show is stuck in an awkward position where it could potential appeal to different generations, or it might not appeal to either generation enough. Because while it has all the 90s tropes in the world, its over the top nature could offer some ironic humor points from the younger generations.

Want: 35%

I remember watching a few episodes and I didn't care for it. But the moveset could win me over so I'll give it some brownie points.

daddy-o membrane

As I've discussed before, Invader Zim could potentially get a second rep if the DLC goes on long enough. From what I've heard Professor Membrane did get a big role in the recent film so he has that, but admittedly I think he's unlikely. Dib is more prominent and GIR is very popular so the professor is outprioritized. That's all I really have to say about him, he doesn't have much that gives him an advantage over those two.

Want: Abstain

I did watch a good amount of Invader Zim. But despite that I completely forgot who this was. I honestly don't remember him at all, so I'm not sure what his moveset potential or personality is like, though he seems promising judging from what the other ratings have said.

Predictions:
Yak - 2%
Kappa Mikey - 5%

Noms: umm I'm running out of stuff to nominate so Dora the Explorer x10

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Prof. Membrane

Chance - 7.5% - His closest completion is his son for title of next in line. While the movie did give him a big boost, sadly overall he just can't quite make it over his son in my eyes. I don't know how likely another Zim character is, and in my eyes it isn't.

Want - 50% - Eh, it's mostly going to come down to implementation to me. I don't care much either way.

Otto

Chance - 6% - Most of Rocket Power is seen as only good ironically, dating itself with overreliance on slang and X-TREME! sports. While you could make a good move set out of that, overall the series isn't looked at too fondly. He's probably getting the choice for a Rocket Power character, though that is super unlikely.

Want - 40% - There are many other series that I would want to get represented first. I don't' care otherwise.

Predictions

Yakkty Yak - 0.23% - This isn't even a proper Nicktoon.

Kappa Mikey - 3.43%- This one at least has some popularity to it's name.

Nominations

DreamWorks Character X5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Calculations are finally here.
(Dog disguise) GIR
Chance: 5.94%
Want: 44.29%
Winner of predictions is DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 , who predicted 5%. You get 10 extra noms.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once again abstaining from today's characters because it's taking me too long.
Yak prediction: 0.49%
Mikey prediction: 6%
Noms: Miko x10
DAY OVER
Rate Yakkity Yak and Kappa Mikey. Predict Concept: DreamWorks character.

D

Deleted member

"Don't you see that man is Kappa Mikey?'
Chance - 0.1
Yeah I don't think there's a big chance. Kappa Mikey did run for two seasons, which is more than some characters we've discussed, it even got a (albeit never aired in the US) spin off, Dancing Suchi, but it's not exactly as well remembered as other cartoons from the era. There's also a bigger issue that basicly kills his chances, and that is the show not being actually owned by Nickelodeon. His show was created by Animation Collective, who unlike a lot of Cartoon creators from around this time got to keep the rights to the show. It wasn't even intended to be a Nicktoon at first, it was first aired on the N, the teen block of Noggin, a now defunct channel that was a co production between Nick and Sesame Workshop, but it got moved to Nickelodeon. Animation Collective where bought out by HandMade films (yep, George Harrison's HandMade Films) in 2009 before being bought back in 2017 and then sold to CAKE in 2018 (though the studio itself closed in 2014). What a saga. I can't see Nick wanting to deal with this rights mess, especially when they have far more popular characters to add.

Want- 40%
I wasn't aware of this show until farily recently. But I actualy think it's pretty fun for what it is! The animation is definitely not for everyone, but for what it is I actually had fun with the episodes I watched. It's hardly the greatest show in the world. But I'd like to see him here. On the surface level he's a pretty basic superhero character, but the show within a show nature of his seires could be adapted well.

Gonna abstain on Yakkty Yak. This is the first character and show I've literally never heard of.

Noms to Stu Pickles

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Kappa Mikey
Chance: 3%

I'm kind of surprised so many people remember Kappa Mikey. It was both Nicktoons Network exclusive, and also not particularly good. It was about as shallow as an anime parody can get, and believe me, anime parodies are always as deep as a knocked over glass of water, so that's saying a lot.
Despite this, Kappa Mikey seems to have a fair amount of fan demand, probably because of memes and a so-bad-it's-good reputation, and I think I heard somewhere the creator wouldn't mind him getting in, but don't quote me on that.
There are two problems, Nick supposedly doesn't own the rights to Kappa Mikey anymore, and because the show was just Nicktoons fodder, they probably don't give enough of a **** to pay the licensing fees to get him in, even if the Ludosity devs pester them for it. Especially with the weird spot said rights are in.
The fact that Kappa Mikey has any fan demand at all, let alone a surprising amount, does probably bode well in his favor to some degree, but I just can't see it happening.

Yakkity Yak
Chance: 0%

I'm very surprised anyone remembers Yakkity Yak.
Nick doesn't own and didn't even make Yakitty Yak. It was a Canadian import cartoon that lasted maybe a year. I don't even remember if that even aired on the main channel or not. I also don't remember it being any good either.
Kappa Mikey at least has memes and notoriety on his side. Yakkity Yak has basically nothing. He isn't Nick's character, they care even less about the show, and he's ridiculously obscure even by fighting game crossover standards. If they're gonna shell out money for a character that isn't theirs, they'd most likely go for Doug.
Hell, he's probably gonna get a lower overall score than Doug. I'd give the guy a negative score if I could.

Want: abstain

Honestly, just because something aired on Nickelodeon, it doesn't mean it has any actual chance of making it into a crossover game.
The most obscure we should hope for is something that's owned wholly by Nick and their in-house studio.
All the involved channels are going to be more receptive to either Nick owned characters, or if any "third party characters" are going to happen, it'd have to be with a character Nick is interested in promoting, or from a company that's willing to play ball. This doesn't cover the lack of budget, because they're most likely going to expect licensing money to come out of Ludosity's pocket the same way they expected voice acting to.
So don't go expecting Goku either.

Noms
Gaz: 5x
Stick Stickly: 5x

DreamWorks character prediction: 15%

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
What in the yakkity yak is this show's name?

Chance: 1%

I guess it's possible? I mean it lasted for two seasons which is something of note in a post-Spongebob environment. And it was nominated for best musical score. And...that's it lol. There isn't really anything that makes this show stand out and the fact that the devs would have to give money to another company to get Yak in the game makes you question if the devs would see this as worth it. If you ask me, the answer is no.

Want: Abstain

Never heard of this show until now. I live in the U.S and apparently it aired on some of Nickelodeon's channels from 2003 to 2007. So idk maybe I saw some glimpses of Yakkity Yak here and there but if I did it's not clicking. Maybe I'll give it a try someday but for now it's not a priority.

Ahem....anime

Kappa Mikey is a very interesting cartoon. It's centered around an American actor named Mikey who travels to Japan to star in a TV series that includes a whole range of wacky characters. The gimmick of this show is that Mikey is styled after western cartoons while his costars are drawn in an anime art style and are caricatures of common anime tropes. You have the cute mascot Guano, Lily who plays the damsel in distress but is actually a tsundere, and Mitsuki, the gentle girl whose crush on the main character goes unnoticed. Oh yeah, and there's also the eccentric businessman Ozu who has a servant literally named Yes Man. As well as Gonard who plays as the over-the-top villain but in reality Gonard is kinda dim-witted.

Throughout the show there are a ton of pop culture references. There is one episode that is focused around a video game that is identical to the original Donkey Kong arcade game and Chun-Li straight up makes a guest appearance. However, Kappa Mikey does drop the ball occasionally. There is one episode where the group meets pirates which would have been the perfect time to spoof One Piece, and yet they didn't. Whether that was due to information about anime not being as abundant as today, or some other factor, it is an indication that maybe the show was a little too ahead of its time.

Now in terms of Mikey's chances, they aren't looking bright. The show does stand out for being an anime parody and there are some really cool things they can do for the moveset that references anime. It even got a spinoff series! Still, the show has at most a cult following and apparently it isn't directly owned by Nick so it's another case where the devs would have to fork over money and they may want to put that money to better use elsewhere.

Want: 60%

I used to watch some episodes here and there. It wasn't fantastic but Kappa Mikey had a charm to it. The characters are enjoyable enough and sometimes the comedy did hit. Plus as a person who is slowly getting into anime, I appreciate all the references, even if it doesn't always reach its full potential.

Predion: Dreamworks character - 11%

Noms: Dora the Explorer xMax (Using all of my extra noms)

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Yakkity Yak

Chance - 0% - Not remembered in the slightest. Not owned by Nickelodeon. Both alone would be a major problem for a character. Add them together? Yeah, I can't see in what universe this gets through.

Want - 35% - I remember watching the show. I remember some of the character designs. …That's all I remember. Shows how memorable it was, I guess. There are better character to spend time on.

Kappa Mikey

Chance - 1% - At least compared to Yakkity, Mikey is at least remembered and has a somewhat "so bad it's good" ironic fanbase. He has had some notable demand and at least being remembered makes him at least possible, but not being owned puts his show in a very tight, awkward spot.

Want - 50% - The show had promise, but as I wasn't an anime fan when I watched it most of the jokes flew over my head. It's okay, I guess, and I don't have many particular feelings about it.

Predictions

DreamWorks character - 6.45% - Should be an interesting day...

Nominations

Mermaid Man X5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The most accurate depiction of anime

Chance: 8%
I don't believe being owned by another studio is a death sentence. Sure, it hurts, but it appears that Nick is slowly starting to loosen up their wallets (we're getting voice acting, at least). It does help that Mikey has both ironic and unironic support (and people likely don't know Nick doesn't own him, so they won't be deterred by that fact). Ludosity is sure to enjoy him as well given the inherent meme factor of the show (which frankly seems more relevant today). Moveset is no issue, stage would have plenty of fun options. Basically all it takes is to convince Nick to shell out the cash because everyone else is on board. Tall order? Sure, but not impossible.

Yo this show was fire. Get my boy Mikey in stat, don't care who has to go to make room (looking at you Shredder)

Yak it up

See this one, he has it rough. He's owned by someone else too. But more importantly, who is he? Does anyone know? Doesn't look like it. And if nobody remembers him nobody can ask for him. And if nobody asks then Nick sure as **** won't be paying anyone money they could be spending on another SpongeBob spinoff por Paramount+.

Want: abstain
I remember that as a kid I didn't want to watch his show because I didn't like his smug face.

Look at that asshole

But yeah anyway I don't know the guy but since nobody on Earth appears to remember him it'd actually be kinda funny if he made it in

Noms: Ginger
Dreamworks: 3% this should be interesting

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
TAKE OUT THE PAPERS AND THE TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!

Yakkity Yak

Chance: 0.2% -
Pretty much everything is going against Yakkity Yak at the moment. He has no fan demand, hasn't aired on the main channel since the mid 2000's, isn't on Paramount+, and most of all....isn't even owned by Nickelodeon Some random Canadian company owns it now (it was an Australian-Canadian import anyway), so Nick likely wouldn't want to put in the money towards a character that nobody's asking for. Sure, I don't think Yakkity Yak would be that expensive, but Ludosity would opt for someone more demanded, while Nick would opt for someone more profitable. And when it comes to DLC those two go hand in hand. Promotionally, though, Yakkity Yak was already an interesting case. He got terrible timeslots, usually while kids were at school or on Sunday afternoons. Yet Nick DID play plenty of ads for the show praising it as something bigger than it was. The most notable thing about the show, which was in said ads, was the cover of "Yakety Yak" by The Coasters, which went on to even win an award (which is actually more than you can say for a lot of other Nicktoons, like TUFF Puppy). Still, the pieces just aren't there for that Yak to take the stage. His only real benefit is that he's the undisputed frontrunner of his series (I really don't see Keo or Lemony being picked over him).

Want: 100% - If I'm gonna be honest, this show was super flaccid (though inoffensive), it did little with its' premise (a young Yak who wants to become a standup comedian) in favor of stock kids' show plots, and episodes just....happened. Plus I technically have bigger priorities in terms of characters. So why give this such a high score? Simple: He's played a disturbingly big role in some of the inside jokes between some friends and I (which is a reason why several people want Otis, for example), to the point of us getting VERY good at imitating his voice. We even made a Civilization V mod of him as a joke, complete with terrible abilities! So it'd be super ridiculously funny if he got in, that kind of thing is once in a lifetime!

Kappa Mikey

Chance: 5% -
Mikey's definitely in a decent spot, but has a couple of pitfalls that seriously hurt his chances. To start with the good stuff, Kappa Mikey's been receiving some renewed interest in recent years, and has his fair share of fan demand. He doesn't poll, say, Squidward levels, but he generally does well for himself. Plus there's plenty of silly gadgets and other items you could slap onto Mikey for a fun moveset so the devs are not short on material! Nick also HEAVILY promoted it back in the day, and even if it got a very limited timeslot on the main channel, it was still clearly adored. Even newspaper articles at the time were treating it like a big deal! The problem is that the show has a cult following at best, there are bigger Nicktoons with way more fan demand, and there's the fact that the show isn't directly owned by Nick. Nick wasn't very involved in its' production (hell it was originally gonna be pitched to MTV instead) and they don't retain much if anything of the rights to the show. Nick's likely gonna want to look inward for DLC choices, and if they want to grab a character from another company I see Doug or a Dreamworks character taking that slot. Still, if he gains more fan demand I can see him being a high contender for this game's equivalent of third party reps.

Want: 90% - Only taking off 10% due to having bigger priorities at the moment. Kappa Mikey was such a fun show! I loved it as a kid though sadly I didn't get to see it much since we didn't have Nicktoons Network during its' run on the channel (it was 2005, NN was still super new) so my experience with it was more limited. But I was always left wishing that the show had more airtime on the main channel! Even if it missed a lot of opportunities, the parodies and references (it even referenced Chobits of all things in a background cameo, which I really appreciated!) were always a treat and never felt overbearing either (it felt way more fun to watch than Lucky Star ever did)! The characters were all lovable and goofy, and the whole thing had a very warm feeling to it! Plus imagine the stage! It'd be cool to have a Luigi's Mansion-esque destructible stage on an actual LilyMu set with Guano yelling "CUUUUUUUUTT!" when it all falls apart, just like the actual show! Really, having Mikey in the game would be a joy, and would bring both 2000's representation and more colorful energy to the game! Give this kid an invitation!

Nominations:
Clyde McBride x10
Rusty Spokes x5

Predictions:
Dreamworks Character - 7.39% - This is gonna be an interesting one! Not expecting high scores since Nick's contract with Dreamworks has long since ended, but several Dreamworks characters have the meme power and fan demand to sway Ludosity! This could be a rare case where Nick might see it as worth it to shell out the money!

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Guy who is named after a 50's rock song
Chance: 0.5%
Yakkity Yak isn't actually owned by Nick, it just aired on the channel at one point, and as far as "third-party" characters go, barely anyone remembers him. So yeah, I don't think we're seeing him in this game any time soon.
Want: 65%
I remember liking Yakkity Yak as a kid. I think it would be kinda cool to see him in this game.

That guy with the cool theme song
Chance: 4%
Kappa Mikey is actually one of the more popuular "third-party" picks, so that helps him a bit. He was even in the top 10 of one of the really early fan polls. However, it's still very unlikely that we're gonna see any "third-party" characters in the near future, so he still isn't very likely.
Want: 75%
Kappa Mikey is a pretty cool guy. It would defintely be awesome to have him be playable in this game.

Dreamworks prediction: 10%
Noms: Miko x10
DAY OVER
Today is supposed to be the Dreamworks day, but since today is the funny joke day we're doing something else.
That's right, today we're rating Goku from the Dragon Ball series, one of his shows aired on Nick like 10 years ago, so he is definitely a Nick character.
Oh, and you can still predict the Dreamworks chance score if you didn't already.
Also, everyone gets 10 extra noms today because why not.
Also also, I am actually calculating this so don't go throwing out 100% chance scores without a good reason.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Erdrick minus sword
Chance: 100% haha i'm so funny wacky memes 0%.
Goku may not have to fear this being a celebration of gaming, but he still would be a much bigger licensing nightmare than some people wanna make Timmy Turner out to be. And if Sakurai doesn't want to go through that licensing trouble for Smash, why would a smaller company working with a much smaller budget? Furthermore, while DBZ Kai has aired on Nicktoons...that's not the main Nick channel, which combined with DBZ being more associated with Cartoon Network if we're talking kids' channels (hell DBZ Kai has probably spent more time on Adult Swim than Nicktoons) reduces his chances of being seriously or ironically demanded, while those who do want something that's aired on Nicktoons but not Nick lean towards Making Fiends.

Want: 10%.
Well I can't go "ew he's not a video game character" when no one in this game is. But I don't associate him with Nick at all.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Goku: 0.1%
On one hand, he'd be more worth going through hoops for than Doug or Kappa Mikey, but on the other he'd be expensive as hell and is split by a language barrier. If NASB had a budget and/or history on the level of Injustice or MvC, I would actually consider Goku at least a 5%, but it doesn't. However, there is that slight chance Paramount is willing to splurge on the game a little more... doubt it though

Want: 30%
I'm not opposed to the idea, but when it comes to guests I'd want someone... cartoonier, y'know? Goku in NASB feels like a loophole for Smash, not a natural inclusion like Garfield or the Turtles would've been if they weren't acquired - even from anime alone I think there's better choices like say, Doraemon or Anpanman. You can play as a macho warrior who shoots lasers in any fighting game, including Goku's own fighting games, I'd much prefer characters you can't get in any other major fighting game.

I'll wait to see if I win Yak predictions before subs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

WHATNINETHOUSAND.png

" Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his chances?”

dbz-its-over.gif

... not really
Chance - 0%
I really don't see this happening. Nick haven't done the best job supporting this game. I can't see them making the effort to work with huge Japanese companies like Toei and Shueisha to get Goku in here when they have so many other characters they could use. I don't honestly think the Nickelodeon connection with Dragon Ball is really that strong enough for this to be worth doing. Goku is iconic, there's no doubt. Probably more iconic than a lot of the characters they could add. But the name on the box is Nicktoons. And Goku isn't a Nicktoon. And there's another thing I think hurts the chances of this, and that is that this year will see the release of a new platform fighter, one who's home company are seemingly more open to throwing money at and also who own a channel that DBZ is more strongly associated with, one who has seemingly no issues with guest characters, and one who's cast of superheroes Goku is a natural fit with. While still not super likely, I feel Goku is more likely for Multiversus than NASB.

Want - 20%
I like Dragon Ball. Goku being in any of these games would obviously be an extremely hype moment, but I just don't think his game is the one. There are so many actual Nickelodeon characters they still could add before this that I'd kinda be a little let down if he got in before them, though I'd still appreciate how huge a get this would be for the devs and how many eyes it would bring onto the game. Goku vs Spongebob would obviously be a huge moment. But I honestly think the novelty would pass farily quickly. I would also kind of would prefer him to be in Multiversus. I just think he's a better fit in there.

Noms to Stu, Azula and a Star Trek Rep.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
This guy again?

Yeah, there's no way in hell. NASB doesn't have the budget or the pedigree to afford Goku. Plus DB's history with Nick is so shallow, it may as well not even exist. Goku would fit better in Multiversus if anything, being so closely associated with CN, airing on it even to this day,
I genuinely can't believe anyone thought Goku could actually get in this.

Want: 0%
I once got called the r-slur for wanting Isabelle in Smash over Goku.
Not sure I want the Goku people to have the satisfaction.

If they made an anime crossover platform fighter, sure, stick him in there, but otherwise, please please please stop trying to shove Goku into every hole you can find.

Noms, put half of em on Gaz, half of em on Stick Stickly.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Cha-la! Head-chala!

DBZ is one of the most iconic anime of all time and it has aired on Nick so by all means it's eligible. The big issue is that getting the rights to Shonen stuff is very difficult and expensive and NASB has the budget of a tuna sandwich. So unless if Nick/Paramount has a big change of heart and suddenly gives the game a huge amount of resources, getting Goku would be a giant uphill battle.

Am I actively clamoring for Goku to join the brawl? No. Would it be weird for him to join with the name of the game being Nicktoon? Yes. But I don't care. I'm perfectly fine with Goku being a one-off thing because I've been a Dragon Ball fan for so long now, and Goku would be very fun to play as. This is one of those odd timelines that I'm sooo down for.

Noms: Dora The Explorer x15

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sparking!

Sorry, but I'm exactly the type of fun hating individual that goes to internet forums to quantify my excitement for fictional characters appearing in crossovers as a percentage. Goku has no chance. Nick isn't willing to spend anywhere near the amount of money it would take to get the rights to Goku. And NASB needs to build a reputation that's a lot stronger than what it has now for it to even be considered, let alone trusted, by the many rights holders involved. All that, plus the fact that DBZ is more associated with Cartoon Network anyways, and its own crossover game MultiVersus seems to actually have the budget and reach to try and get the saiyan.

Want: 0%
He's not a Nicktoon nor related to Nickelodeon on more than a technicality. The amount of money required to get him would be better spent on giving NASB polish and content and the basic requirements for a game of its caliber that it, so far, lacks.

Noms: Ginger x15

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Goku

Chance - 0% - Goku costs serious bank, and NASB as established has a shoestring budget. Given how little clout this game has, it's super unlikely that they'd even let them touch DBZ, no manner how many people clamor for it.

Want - 0% - I never saw DBZ, and frankly don't even want to. I'd rather focus on characters who feel like they belong in Nicktoons, thanks.

Nominations (total today, 115!)

Mermaid Man X 75
Ms. Bitters X 40

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Man, of course I got Lincoln.
Anyway, calculations.
Kappa Mikey
Chance: 3.52%
Want: 69.17%
Winner of predictions is Sid-cada Sid-cada , who predicted 3.43%. You get 100 extra noms!
Mikey has now taken Squidward's spot for 10th most wanted character! (No, really.)
Yakkity Yak
Chance: 0.45%
Want: 66.67%
Winner of predictions is DaUsername DaUsername , who predicted 0.49%. You also get 100 extra noms!
Yakkity Yak is now our least likely character, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom