• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - NASB1 Edition! See ya next game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Pinwheel, Pinwheel, spinning around...: 2%
Very optimistic given the circumstances, but I will explain myself

the Silver Ball era has a triple punch of cases against it - it was in the early 80s, the half of the decade that nostalgia for is rapidly declining; it wasn't even popular at the time and if anything known more as pub quiz trivia for Nick fans of the internet age than a piece of nostalgia; and nearly all its content was either acquirred, live action, or both. Not looking good for this uncharacteristically on-beat era of an offbeat network...

HOWEVER, there is a tiny bit of light in the tunnel for this era, but very specific and almost like a subchance of an already unlikely chance: if they want to expand the lists for either sports mode balls or items, the Silver Ball itself would be an extremely easy pick. Easy to model and texture, recognisable to die-hard Nick fans as an easter egg, and not hard to imagine in either context. That being said, the chance of even having extra balls or items is unlikely as is I feel, let alone the Silver Ball being part of it.

5 noms towards the Breadwinners

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A baby's gotta do what a baby's gotta do...which is most likely not joining a platform fighter.
Chance: 5%.
The idea that they put in Reptar without any babies so they wouldn't have to worry about babies getting punched is extremely overstated. Tommy already has fighting game experience in Super Brawl Universe, a lot of NASB's fighters have wacky attack animations which should make that less of a problem, and Reptar's popular enough to warrant being the first Rugrats rep anyway.

...but since there's a conspiracy that Reptar's inclusion is solely about not having Tommy punched, and fans are hyperfocused on getting new shows in with exceptions being Jimmy Neutron/Squidward/Zuko, Tommy and all the other babies are severely lacking in demand. Really I'd think he'd only get in just to prove that there was more to adding Reptar than not getting his face punched in.

...and there'll still probably be a conspiracy because NASB's fanbase is mostly Smash fans who are more familiar with Smash's extremely safe character options as opposed to every other crossover fighter being more willing to have more weird choices or skip over protagonists.

Want: 50%.
Honestly this is mostly to prove that Reptar wasn't just the moral substitute to beating up babies, even with the amount of time I spent watching Rugrats.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Tommy Pickles
Chance: 75%

Here he is. The original mascot of Nickelodeon. Under normal circumstances he would be a shoo-in. Rugrats is a massive franchise with nine seasons, three movies, about a dozen video games, a recent revival, a comic book series, and a ton of merchandise. The problem most people have with Tommy getting in is his age. Tommy is only one year old, and a lot of fans don't want to punch a baby, even though Nick already released a game where you could (Super Brawl Universe). They could get past that by using his pre-teen AGU self instead, but his AGU self is less iconic and has less moveset potential than his original 1 year old form. I can see them adding Tommy as a more casual-appeal character to balance out all the hardcore-appeal picks.

Want: 90%

It's weird not having Tommy here. He's the OG face of Nicktoons and he has a lot of moveset potential. He, like Lincoln, would use various toys in his moveset, but his younger age will help differentiate him from Lincoln. Plus, who doesn't want to see the TMNT and the Avatar lose to a literal baby?

Pass on Silver Ball Representation and Bloom

Want: Lana Loud x5

D

Deleted member

Thomas Pickles
Chance- 50%
Rugrats is an iconic piller of Nickelodeon. Tommy is the main character and if we get a baby if it would probably be him. But Tommy and the other babies where passed up in favor of Reptar in the base game. The idea that Nickelodeon / Viacom didn't want the babies to be able to be beaten up is often brought up as a point against their inclusion, but Tommy was in the Super Brawl Universe mobile fighting game, so unless their mind has changed since 2018, I don't think that theory holds much water. Its possible that Ludosity hold this opinion, or that they just don't see much moveset potential in a baby, but since we've, to my knowledge, never had any public acknowledgement of this, it's hard to judge based on this. Tommy also does have some slight competition for a Rugrats rep in the form of Angelica. I should also bring up the idea I often see brought up that Tommy could be the All Grown Up version, but I'm not sure I see this. It feels like a needless work around and AGU doesn't really have the same nostalgia as the classic show.

Want - 70%
I actually think they could come up with a pretty fun and creative moveset for Tommy. The bottle, the ball, his dad's inventions. There is definitely potential there. Rugrats is iconic enouth to get a second rep, and Tommy would represent a complety different part of the series than Reptar. I'd be cool with Angelica too, but I genuinely think Tommy would be a fun addition. I also don't think the baby thing is that big a deal and seems like a Smash speculation style fan rule. The violence in this game isn't brutal. The whole thing has a pretty fun and party like vibe, with even the more serious characters like the Avatar reps or Shredder being toned down.

Chance- 5%
Winx Club is an odd situation. It's a fairly popular series, and is classed as a Nicktoon, but it has almost never, to my knowledge, been present in Nickelodeon crossovers or celebration events. The only time, from what I can see, was in one of the Super Brawl games, but that same game had Poh and a Power Ranger. This is possibly an ownership thing. Winx Club was a popular Italian cartoon that ran on Nickelodeon. After it's fourth seaosn, Viacom purchased a stake in the animation studio. Nickelodeon then co produced the show from the 5th season onwards, adding their own writers and filling the voice cast with current to the time Nickelodeon talent like Ariana Grande, Keke Palmer and Elizabeth Gilles. The series is pretty long running, having ran pretty consistently since 2004, it has a couple movies, spin offs and a live action netflix adaption. The partnership definitely seems to be there, but Winx's absence in any of the recent Nickelodeon crossovers makes me doubt it'll get in.

Want - Abstain
I didn't watch this show growing up because it was a "girls show." I have nothing against it but I don't have any real attachment. There's proablly a pretty cool moveset in there but it'd not s character I'm begging for.

Abstain from Silver Ball.

Noms to Concept: Power Rangers rep

Last edited by a moderator:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Let’s get the ones I have less to say about out of the way first.

Silver Ball Representation
Chance: 1%
Want: Abstain

This is the first Nickelodeon specific ranking in this thread to ever be before my time. Thanks for making me feel young for once!
I don’t know anything about what Silver Ball Era Nickelodeon was like beyond getting slimed for saying “I Don’t Know” and… the Silver Ball.
Maybe they could have the Silver Ball as a Sports mode ball if they ever add anything to that in an update but otherwise, I don’t think they even actually owned any of the stuff they broadcasted in those days.

Bloom (Winx Club)
Chance: 30%
Want: 25%

I didn’t watch this one as a kid, and it became a Nick thing looooooong after the fact, but honestly, I’m still gonna rate Bloom fairly high because why not, right? TMNT is here, Garfield is here, there’s a possibility they could throw in Alvin and the Chipmunks and the ****ing Smurfs at some point, Winx Club is another acquisition along those lines, so I don’t see why it should be left out. I know it’s not as big an IP as any of the things I just listed, but neither is AAAHH Real Monsters, so whatever. Bloom has her fans demanding her, so anything is possible.
Bloom would also add another “action character” to the roster, and let’s be frank, Nick really does not have a surplus of those at all. I’m up for Bloom.

Okay. Now we get into the really meaty one. I’m shocked a character this iconic and this divisive didn’t get his own day.

Tommy Pickles

Well, we all knew this had to happen eventually. The Rugrats Debate has made it to the RTC thread.

Hoo boy, here we go…

Chance: 50%

Tommy Pickles is possibly the only Nickelodeon original character (not counting any from Nick Jr) who was ever at any point as iconic as the cast of Spongebob is now, with the only runners up being other Rugrats characters.
Rugrats at its peak was by all accounts a cultural phenomenon. Tommy, Chuckie, Angelica, and the present and accounted for Reptar, were Nick’s biggest stars for years before the Sponge showed up to climb to even greater heights. You can say Fairly Oddparents is Nick’s second biggest show after Spongebob, but it never got the level of sheer real-world fame that Rugrats did. It was, with absolutely zero exaggeration, everywhere, and it was everywhere for a long ass time. I think people often forget how much of a juggernaut Rugrats really was back when it was the top-**** dog of Nick.
Rugrats as an ongoing franchise, movies and spinoffs/sequels included, lasted a whopping 17 years before finally ending and lying dormant until the 2021 reboot brought it roaring back. It has over 20 awards to its name, a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (something not even Spongebob has!), mountains of merchandise that it’s fellow Nicktoons at the time could only dream of having, and of course, absolute scads of video game appearances, both Rugrats specific and Nickelodeon crossovers. Needless to say, in the world of Nickelodeon, Thomas Malcom Pickles is a big damn deal, and that is something you simply just cannot ignore when talking about his chances of getting into NASB.

The problem? Well. Tommy is a baby.

While I personally don’t think it’s going to be much of an issue, there are a lot of people who think it’d be morally reprehensible to put a baby character in such a violent game. These same people probably throw blue shells at Baby Mario no problem.
Tommy has many appearances in Nicktoons crossover games, where despite being only a year old, could stick up for himself and get banged around by the other characters just fine. A few appearances had him ten years older, but for the most part, the most “violent” games, be they kart racing, mini game collections or even other fighting games, Tommy’s been a baby, because that’s how we know him best.

Also, even if you are fighting a baby, the nature of this game means Tommy can not only fight back in turn, but can even defeat foes such as Shredder, Aang, Danny Phantom, Jenny and Invader ZIM.
Again, no one has a problem with the Mario Babies getting blown up and run over, why suddenly clutch your pearls for a character who has made at least 15 video game appearances, some of which involve him getting blown up and run over? Hell, Pichu is a baby! No one complains about beating up Pichu!
Would fighting Baby Tommy look really off? Maybe at first, yeah, but you’d probably get used to it pretty quickly, especially if Tommy winds up being particularly powerful. He’s been in Nick Brawl games before this one after all.

That said, this is just me talking. The devs may have different standards. A joke was made about Lily Loud not being able to join in on the action because she’s a baby, so perhaps the same mindset could be used to explain Tommy’s absence.
Speaking of Louds, Lucy Loud apparently needed a lot of convincing to be allowed as a playable character for reasons yet unknown. Lucy being the youngest character on the roster thus far (if you don’t count Jenny canonically being built five years prior to the start of her show at least) has everyone theorizing it could be because she’s only 9 years old. Tommy is a mere 1 year old.
I don’t know if they’ve said anything else on the matter, usually they’re pretty open to tell us if Nick doesn’t want something. If Nick vetoed Tommy because he’s a baby, they probably would have told us by now.

Now, everyone seems to think Reptar is meant to be a compromise since the actual babies and kids can’t be playable, but if you ask me, I think they picked Reptar because Reptar is a badass fire breathing dinosaur, one of the show’s breakout stars and one of Nick’s tentpole nostalgia bait characters. It’s possible Reptar won out because of the baby problem, but you can’t tell me his cool factor and Nick’s favoritism of him didn’t play a role in there somewhere.

Two other things to note are one: Tommy’s complete absence whatsoever from the game. Not even a stage cameo. All he gets is a mention in the Tommy Ball, which, two: the Tommy Ball makes three appearances in the game. As an item, as a ball in Sports mode, and as a background object in the Rugrats stage. This is a bit of a stretch, but the ball being so present in the game sort of robs Tommy of one of his potential moves. For all we know that was purposeful. But Tommy’s being nowhere to be seen could be purposeful too as a means of leaving him open.

Do I think we’re getting Tommy in this game or any potential Ludosity developed NASB sequels? Look, Rugrats is a huge part of Nickelodeon’s history if not the biggest, being the one that started it all. They can’t just have ONE Rugrats character and ONE Rugrats stage. There’d HAVE to be more. But would it be Tommy? Debatable. If the age of the characters is such a big deal, a compromise can be made in using Angelica instead, who is the show’s other breakout star and was considered a lot more popular a character than Tommy during the show’s run. Angelica is 3 years old, yeah, but she’s got enough of a mean streak for someone three times her age and was often written with smarts and a wit beyond her age like most cartoon kids anyway. Angelica is also in every game Tommy has been in, including the other crossovers and fighting games.

There’s also the All Grown Up version of the characters, who I’ve seen mentioned several times, but man, AGU Tommy was such a sissy that I’d still give that one to Angelica instead. How did this kid peak as a baby?!
If age is not a problem, then there’s still that competition against Angelica for the spot, who I actually think would generally make a much better character choice, but Tommy may just show up anyway because he’s still Tommy Goddamn Pickles.

Want: 95%

I have a veritable truckload of nostalgia for Rugrats. Rugrats was my first real fandom growing up. I remember seeing the touring live show with those lumpy-ass costumes. I remember the rush of waiting for the movie to come out, which Nick promoted like it was the second coming of Jesus, and how finally seeing the movie felt like a genuine event. Most of all, I remember Tommy was my favorite character.

I think Tommy would be a hilarious character to have in NASB, not because I want to beat up a baby, but I want to beat up others with a baby! Also, like I said, Tommy is about as much of a “Nickelodeon All Star” as you can get, and there’s no disputing that.
Thing is, I still feel like Angelica would overall be a stronger choice for a Rugrats character. Even more iconic and popular, a more recognizable character design, and a more dynamic personality that would make for a more dynamic moveset, being a manipulative little sociopathic troublemaker. Who hasn’t wanted to punch those teeth in as a kid?
If it came down to it though, yeah, I’d welcome Tommy in with open arms (and closed fists). I’ve said I love my off-the-wall picks, but NASB really could use a huge slam dunk heavy hitter of a famous character like Tommy Pickles in it.

I’m honestly kind of surprised there isn’t that much demand for more Rugrats characters. Guys, come on, it’s Rugrats!
I’d put in a nom for Angelica if I wasn’t working on getting that Angry Beavers triple day.

Which, by the way, all noms towards Norbert, Daggett and both.

Patchy the Pirate Prediction:
15%

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Bloom

Winx Club is a fantasy series created by Italian animator Iginio Straffi and his studio Rainbow. The story follows Bloom, a warrior fairy who enrolls in an academy that trains fairies to fight witches. Initially planned to last for three seasons, its incredible popularity led it to last for four. For these four seasons, the show was produced independently at Rainbow, with Paramount distributing the show outside its country of origin. Once it proved to be a hit, not just in Italy but most of Europe, Nick noticed. They bought shares in Rainbow, making them co-owners of the IP, and produced a revival that lasted for three more seasons (with an eighth one coming after a hiatus, albeit retooled for younger audiences).

Winx is notable for a couple of things. It's the rare show to become a Nicktoon despite not starting out as one - which has never happened again as far as I'm aware. Nick has been known to work with pre-existing IPs before, be it TMNT, their DreamWorks co-creations, or more recently the likes of Garfield and Star Trek. The fact that Winx Club can share a sentence with those franchises is impressive and a testament to Nick's trust in it. Also of note, Nick outright wanted to buy out Rainbow, but didn't so that Straffi could stay on board and retain control of the show. How often does that happen? This is Nick, now infamous for disrespecting the wishes of the creators of even their biggest shows, yet they wanted to keep this guy on so much they were OK with co-owning Winx (for his part, Straffi has had nothing but praise for Nick as creative and business collaborators). It was also notable for being a rare female-centric action show with an overarching narrative. Back when the show debuted in 2004 this was unheard of, and was still pretty rare in 2011 when Nick picked it up (a year before Korra debuted). So it has a nice couple feathers in its cap.

Being an international co-production, Winx's popularity likely varied between regions, but from what I could find the first four seasons were very popular everywhere save for English speaking countries. After Nick got involved, there was an attempt to give the show more international appeal (even casting popular actors from their own sitcoms to do the dubs), and it appears to have worked because it became more popular than ever. It has a cult fandom, the characters have become cosplay icons, and it has been noted to appeal to both female and male viewers. Notably I remember a lot of people online complaining about the Netflix live-action remake (for the opposite reason than you'd expect), a sign of an active fandom if there ever was one.

Aside from the original, eight season show, Winx had three movies, two spin-off shows that ran for three seasons between them, a comic book series that has been going nonstop since 2011(!), and as mentioned before, a live-action remake that got mostly negative reviews and was blasted by fans for being a Riverdale-esque grittier-and-sexier reboot and for recasting an Asian character as white and eliminating a Latina in favor of her white cousin. Of course Netflix gonna Netflix so it was renewed for a second season, which will come out this year.

The main takeaway I want to convey here is that this is an internationally successful franchise with many installments that is still ongoing, that has a huge, diverse and dedicated fandom and in which both Nick and its creator are highly involved and invested in. It really has everything you'd want... Except for demand. Honestly though I think this is more that people assume Nick doesn't own Winx and it's just a licensed show, than simple unpopularity (it's nowhere to be seen on that giant poll with over 200 entries, in which every other Nicktoon is represented). It doesn't have a "Nick" feel to it, owing more to shoujo anime if anything. The devs are based in Europe so it's almost guaranteed that they know of Winx but as it's not from their time and not demand-driven they might just skip it.

Which is why I wanted to bring it up, figured if I let people who watched this know it's eligible, and people who didn't watch it know they could be getting witches and fairies and their laser-wielding boyfriends as fighters, interest would develop on its own.

As for who the rep would be... I nominated Bloom because she's the lead character, but it's an ensemble show so it's possible another character or even a villain could be selected as the rep. I wouldn't know; I've never seen Winx.

Chance: 45%
Want: 100%
I remember as a kid being extremely annoyed by the advertising this show got. I can still hear the opening theme in my head after more than a decade. But damn, was it everywhere. And I never really forgot about it. Fast forward to NASB speculation, and while looking through the list of Nicktoons to see what to nominate I see this show, and it's like meeting an old enemy I can't remember why I hated. So I start reading about it and it has a super interesting story! Like the development, the creative process that went on behind the scenes, is really cool - international animation is a topic I love to learn about because it feels like there are more unorthodox routes to the gold at the end of the rainbow of TV animation, even beyond the emerging new media of streaming and YouTube. A creator-driven show, aimed at girls as well as boys, from an independent studio, finding success so great that a big international company asks to get involved while still respecting the original creator's input! It's a success story that you don't hear much about and it was super enlightening to learn about it.

I haven't seen a single piece of Winx media. And at over 200 episodes, I'm not likely to start anytime soon (even if it looks like something I'd enjoy). Plus, let's be real, I give 100% want to every rep from a new show. But I guess this is a stronger 100%? Like just, 101%? Idk I guess I developed an appreciation for the show knowing all that went into it and how groundbreaking it was in several aspects (character development for me, a kid who went "ugh, girls" at the mere mention of Winx and who had to be tricked into thinking Flynn Rider was the main character in Tangled to watch it). Plus the moveset would probably be cool and there's a fanbase out there who would probably appreciate it.

--

Tommy Pickles

Chance: 2%
Look, if Tommy isn't here already it's for a reason. He's the main character of Rugrats and extremely iconic and recognizable. He was also in the GameMill-published Nickelodeon Kart games so they had his model for easy use. And bear in mind Rugrats had a CGI reboot mere months before NASB released, peak synergy. Yet all Rugrats got was Reptar. It has long been theorized that the Rugrats being babies kept them out, for either PR reasons or rating reasons. The ESRB could theoretically be gamed adding a baby for DLC which wouldn't affect the rating for the main game, if that is the concern. Another possibility is that the devs simply didn't see moveset potential in a fighting toddler, which I could see.

Whatever the reasoning for his exclusion might have been, I don't see it being fixed so soon. The devs may change their minds on the moveset front, but so soon? From Smash experience that will take at least a game, heh. Plus I don't think anyone's crying out for Tommy. In that popularity poll I'll keep bringing up, Tommy ranked 77th, compared to antagonist and bratty breakout character Angelica at 66 and his father Stu at 67 (because this fandom has daddy issues). It might be perceived impossibility more than lack of interest, but it's not going to make the devs budge.

I guess one loophole would be to use his All Grown Up incarnation (which polled at #171, by the way!) It's not the most iconic, got mixed reception (including from one of Rugrats' creators, who said it made no sense) and was always kind of a cringe concept. But on the other hand it ran for 5 ****ing seasons??? So idk, someone watched it. Still, what that would mean moveset-wise is a 10-year old with a camcorder, hardly exciting.

Regardless, if the devs could get past the potential issues of age, moveset, and lack of demand, they strike me as the type that would add Angelica instead. Sure, it'd be a repeat of Helga, but also it's hard to argue that it wouldn't be a good call.

Want: 50%
Growing up I didn't like Rugrats because I thought babies were gross and that the artstyle was gross (I still feel that way about the artstyle, sorry). Still, there's no denying that Rugrats was a juggernaut and the babies were icons, and it feels wrong to have the franchise represented without them. Plus I still don't know who the **** is Reptar, ****ing bargain bin Godzilla ripoff. Problem with this is that Tommy was my least favorite character by a mile because his voice and design were by far the grossest. If we were talking about Angelica the score would be higher (like twice as high) but any other baby would be preferred to Tommy.

Just please, whatever they do, don't add All Grown Up Tommy. Why the **** does he have purple Sheen hair? All Grown Up man, what were they thinking.

--

Silver Ball era

Abstain. I don't know what this era entails and I don't know how to research it, so I'm just doing to wait for someone to explain it. Looking forward to learning about it!

Noms: Robot and Monster (using all my extra noms)
Prediction: 12%

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
carpet rodent

chances: 50% i really don't see why not. what are the arguments against? he's a baby? well yes it would be a bit off having a baby in a fighting game. like having a baby pokemon like say pichu in a fighting game. oh hang on. i don't reaally see the baby thing being a problem, i mean they let him in the racing games don't they? now the other one is the fact they went with reptar first. ok that what I'm less sure on, does he have the memes? anyway he's the star of one of nick's most well known shows. an ideal candidate for a game with nickelodean all stars in the title.

want: 50% i watched this as a kid. saw the first two films in the cinema. don't have as much nostalgia for it as i do other show but i could defiantly get behind another character from it. be it baby tommy or kid tommy i think there's potential for something fun. so yeah maybe not the most exciting of characters but still a welcome inclusion.

abstain on the other two as i could not tell you what they are

noms to orson

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Silver Ball Representation

Chance: 0.1% -
I'm pretty confident in saying that we won't be getting anything from this, aside from maybe the ball itself as a stage potentially. All of the content was acquired media, there is no fan demand for it, and it is squarely outside of the nostalgia range for both fans AND devs. There's pretty much nothing to represent, nor is there anything to gain from it.

Want: 5% - I wouldn't mind the ball as a goofy spinning stage, but that's it really. Can't say I would want them to prioritize Danger Mouse over Timmy Turner.

Bloom

Chance: 20% -
Winx Club is a surprisingly big franchise, especially in Europe. Italy in particular has a love for the magical girl genre which resulted in this show's creation in fact. And the devs are European, so there's no doubt some exposure to it! Nick also has stakes in the animation studio that created the franchise and co-produced the 4th and 5th seasons, even filling in some of their own talent onto the cast! Clearly Nick has investment in the franchise and wants a slice of the pie! and we've seen that same thing happen with franchises like Garfield which have made it into the game! Combine that with a strong and dedicated fanbase, creators that would no doubt approve, AND Bloom's appearance in one of the Super Brawl games and you have some very good precedent to stand on! So why the low score?

Fan Demand, and in a heavily Fan Demand-based character selection process. Despite the international success of the show and Nick's marketing push, the Magical Girl genre was never very popular in North America. And this is where a sizable chunk of the fanbase is from, along with most of the shows represented in the game. 4kids cancelled Magical DoReMi's dub due to low toy sales and low ratings, while Pretty Cure has only ever gotten one series localized. This has resulted in a general lack of fan demand in the core demand region for the game, and thus the series hasn't really been on people's radars. Combine that with the fact that so many big Nick mainstays have yet to get in and there just isn't much priority for Winx Club right now. I can see it changing in the future, but for right now I'm not too confident.

Want: 50% - I saw a bit of the show with a friend of mine and really didn't have any issues with it. The characters are likable, it's well-drawn, and has a great balance between girls and boys that I really appreciate! It doesn't really have the pitfalls that bother me about other shows in the genre, and of course it lends itself very well to moveset potential! So I have a lot of respect for the show! But at the same time, we still don't have characters like Jimmy Neutron, Timmy Turner, and so many other Nick superstars that have yet to make an appearance, so Winx Club really doesn't feel like a priority right now. Definitely will be higher when the franchise enters its' "Brawl Phase", though! So while I wouldn't at all be upset about Bloom, I think she should wait a little longer. There's definitely a place for her!

Tommy Pickles

Chance: 20% -
The real elephant in the room, a character that's extremely back and forth, being perceived as either a lock or impossible. There's so many factors going for and against Tommy that I don't even know where to begin!

I guess we'll start with historical significance. Rugrats was Nickelodeon's powerhouse in the 90's and Tommy was considered the mascot before Spongebob arrived on the scene. It was an absolute ratings hit, and started a long and fruitful relationship with Klasky-Csupo that resulted in several other Nicktoons (Rocket Power, The Wild Thornberrys, Aah! Real Monsters, and As Told by Ginger) along with a booming franchise for the Rugrats themselves that would last well into the 2000's. It got several movies, specials, tons of merchandise, and even a couple of spinoffs (one being the divisive but successful All Grown Up with 5 seasons and some TV movies, and the very much maligned Preeschool Dayz, which ended after 4 episodes). After a period of dormancy when Nick broke off their deal with the studio, we got a Rugrats reboot that is currently ongoing. And even then, they continue to appear in Nick's 90's nostalgia merch and get guaranteed slots in Nicktoons crossovers (including a whopping FOUR slots in Kart Racers 2, all of which are all but guaranteed to return in the upcoming third game). So many people grew up on Rugrats, and they have become a cultural zeitgeist as a result. It appeals to nostalgia, the target audience AND devs grew up with it, Nickelodeon loves it, and it has recent relevance. It is also the second longest running Nicktoon (in terms of episode count), behind only the yellow sponge himself (though by the end of next year it'll be surpassed by The Loud House when it airs its' seventh season. Though Rugrats still wins out if you include the Reboot and all 50 something episodes of All Grown Up). Finally, there's the announcemer calls for Tommy/Chuckie/Angelica in the game's files, and while they were covering bases it's clear that they were considered possibilities for the roster worth preparing for. Tommy has basically everything you could ask for, so why the low score?

Several reasons. Firstly, the baby debate. It's widely speculated that there's a reluctance to include a baby because they want to avoid controversy or ratings issues due to the possibility of beating up a baby (even though he WAS in one of the Super Brawl games). This is considered backed up by the fact that Lucy Loud was a tough sell to Nickelodeon, speculated to be due to her age. I commonly see All Grown Up Tommy proposed as a compromise to get him in the game. It's still Tommy after all! But there's way less nostalgia for this incarnation of Tommy, and his archetype (a filmmaker) isn't seen to be as interesting (though they could easily mix baby and All Grown Up moves into his kit, he's still kid-like after all). Either way it's an absolute mess that we still don't have a verdict on.

There's also the factor of Reptar already being in, and priorities shifting towards getting new franchises in over new reps for franchises already in the game. Reptar's super cool, though! The situation kinda reminds me of how the Deadly Six (villains from Sonic the Hedgehog) are commonly represented in other media when they only pick one. Zavok's the most obvious choice, the big leader and most focused-on member of the group. However, sometimes they'd be represented by Zazz instead, the crazy marketable mascot character. Tommy feels like the Zavok while Reptar feels like the Zazz. It doesn't feel TOO weird to just have Reptar since he's just as big a face as Tommy is, and I think that's factoring into the big point that's currently working against Tommy:

Fan demand. Fan demand is everything in the current climate of the game. While Tommy himself, Angelica, and Stu got into the top 100, there hasn't bee much of a push to get another Rugrats character into the game, despite so many growing up with it. Maybe the art style is a turn off for people (and Tommy doesn't have the meme power Nigel has to make up for it). Maybe the gross-out isn't seen as appealing (even if Rugrats really wasn't that bad with it), and Reptar is seen more favorably because he's seperated from said gross-out. Either way it's baffling that there's so little push, but either way that's what's really keeping Tommy from being a shoe-in.

I still think Tommy COULD happen, especially if the devs change their minds or a surge in fan demand happens, but as it currently stands I'm not holding my breath!

Want: 50% - I'm honestly torn on Tommy! On one hand, I have way bigger priorities, especially since Rugrats isn't missing entirely and has plenty of representation in other ways outside of Reptar. I have loads of characters I wanna see in the game but there aren't any Rugrats reps among them. On the other hand, though, I still grew up with Rugrats and All Grown Up, and have seen pretty much every episode of both. Alongside that Tommy is way too iconic not to be in the game, so I would have no complaints if he got a DLC slot. Hell, I'm one of the few people who liked All Grown Up (even if it wasn't as good as the original show) and wouldn't mind seeing AGU Tommy in the game as a compromise to get him a roster slot (though with plenty of moves based on the original show!). Even if it as divisive, it still has significance as the face of Rugrats for awhile during the 2000's, since it got 5 seasons while the parent show was jumping the shark at the time. There's also the fact that he's the main character and the face of the franchise, we can't Hugh Neutron every franchise! Angelica is cool too, but I didn't like her as a kid since she reminded me of how my older sister used to treat me, so while she's iconic as well she's got a lot of personal baggage.

Another Rugrats stage would be a good idea, too! (Teeter Totter Gulch is fun and all and very unique, but it's from only one episode and got in because of a meme. Yes, it was a memorable episode, but it was still one episode. It'd be like if Spongebob could only have one stage and they chose the Kelp Forest or the Salty Spitoon). A playpen-stage inspired by the Living Room from Smash would be a fun idea and represents an iconic location! It could even be two-sided! One perspective faces inward and shows the TV on with Spike playing in the background and Grandpa Loud asleep on his chair in an iconic scene! The other perspective would show the giant glass doors behind the playpen, looking out onto the lawn where the adults are having one of their BBQs! It would make for a very fun and lively stage that would fit nicely into the game! Alternatively, if you wanna go with an All Grown Up stage, have a travelling stage based on RV Having Fun Yet, where characters can fight inside and outside the hilarious Itex American Cruise Deluxe (I Am Crud) RV and pass by locales that the characters have visited throughout the series (such as the Ostrich Ranch from Dude, Where's My Horse?.). Betty would be driving and periodically take sips of her "Betty's Blast" coffee blend and the stage would speed up for a bit, with a heavy wind effect on top fo the RV that would prompt players to get inside (and fight inside, much like the capsule from Norfair). There's a lot of fun ideas for new Rugrats content!

So while my priorities lay on other characters and franchises, especially getting more reps for existing ones, Tommy was a part of my childhood as well and is too iconic to leave out!

Nominations:
Robbie Rotten xHalf
(Rerate) Luna Loud xHalf

Predictions:
Patchy the Pirate - 4.94% - Has most of the issues most live-action characters face despite how iconic he is, alongside competition from much more demanded Spongebob characters like Squidward and Mr. Krabs, so not expecting high ratings here.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you...a literal sphere

Chance: 1%

So I'm kind of confused on exactly what would technically be representation for this era. But let's just say that even if we were to take any show from the early 80s Nick into account, that doesn't help much. Apparently Nick doesn't' own those shows? If so then that's a death sentence considering there is no demand for that kind of stuff. The devs are 90s kids and the vast majority of the player base are 90s and 2000s kids. I don't think I've ever seen anyone ask for anything from the 80's Nick.

The only saving grace for this concept, as others have brought up, is the possibility of the silver ball itself becoming an item. It would be an easy easter egg to include, though have the devs mentioned that they might add more items in the future? It's possible, but I'm not sure if that's a priority for them.

Want: 1%

A pity one percent because I find the concept of the silver ball becoming an item a neat historical choice. Otherwise, the 80's are way before my time and while I've seen a good amount of media from that era, none of it comes from the 80's Nick shows. I simply don't care.

Tommy Picklezz (Bubble Bass flashbacks)

Chance: 15%

Rugrats is very important to Nick's history and I think it does warrant multiple reps. In terms of Nick being bothered by Tommy being beaten up, he was in Super Brawl Universe so that is a non-issue, unless if the devs think otherwise. However there is no evidence that points toward that. But is Tommy likely? Not really. While the circumstacnes around his absence on the roster is too unknown for me to disregard him, he doesn't have a whole lot going for him specifically. Angelica in particular makes more sense I feel. She is more requested than Tommy and her devious nature lends itself to a moveset, equally or more so than Tommy.

Want: 1%

To be honest I never cared about Rugrats, even as a little kid. There is something about it that didn't jive with me and I couldn't get into it. I think Reptar was the best choice and I'm fine with him being the sole rep for the series.

Bloom from the wink winxy club

Abstain. After doing two ratings I don't have the energy to do research.

Noms: Transformers rep xMax

I just found out that this exists now:

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Remember da 80's?
Chance: 0%

Yeah, I'm gonna go there. The "Silver Ball" era is not something I expect to be represented in NASB, or even any future NASB games. It's not something people are nostalgic for (including the devs, since it would've been well before their time), it's not something people are asking for, most of its shows were acquired content and likely couldn't be represented in the game anyway, and it's not even referenced by Nick with any sort of frequency. (Has the Silver Ball been referenced at all since being phased out as the network's logo? I'm genuinely curious.) About the only thing they feasibly could add from this era would be the Silver Ball itself as an item or something, but when even the iconic Nickelodeon slime is barely represented in the game, I'm not expecting them to add the logo from an era most people wouldn't even recognize. While technically possible, I don't see this happening at all.

Want: Abstain

I didn't even know this period of Nickelodeon history existed until someone started nomming it here. As long as it doesn't take up a character slot, I don't care.

Is This What The Kids Are Calling "Da Baby"
Chance: 10%

I'm in the same boat as GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 here, i.e. if Tommy isn't in the game yet, it's probably for a reason. I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists who thinks there was some moral objection to having a baby in a fighting game because frankly that just sounds stupid to me, but I do think Tommy was probably skipped over simply because it's kinda hard to come up with a cool moveset for an actual rugrat. All this talk about the series' stature and "icon status" is kinda silly to me when these devs seem to be adding characters largely based on how cool they are. If you give most people the choice between a literal baby and a fire-breathing kaiju to be in a fighting game, most people are gonna choose the latter simply because it's the cooler option (that and Reptar's already a popular and heavily marketed character in the first place). The devs aren't gonna add Tommy out of some sense of obligation, they're gonna add him if they can come up with a cool moveset for him, simple as. That said, the fact that they went for Reptar over any of the Rugrats babies indicates that they aren't really interested in adding Tommy right now.

Want: 0%

I'm not in the boat that thinks Rugrats "needs" another rep simply because "it's big," and frankly I think Reptar on his own is fine and is way cooler than any of the babies would be. I wouldn't be mad at Tommy, but we REALLY don't need him just for the sake of adding "muh icons" IMO. Screw icons, forgoing traditional character hierarchy is practically what this game's about! If a side character (or in-universe mascot character, in the case of Reptar) would be more fun than the main character, add them instead! This isn't like Nick Kart Racers where you can just add anyone and it doesn't matter because they all play the same. This is a fighting game, and if the main character of a series wouldn't make a good fighter, no harm in skipping over them to the next most viable candidate. This "gotta add the main character first" mentality is actually something I really don't like about Smash and other crossover products (coughmultiversuscough) as I feel it severely kneecaps those games' potential to do cool and unexpected things with their roster choices. It's why I actually respect NASB's decision to do stuff like add Nigel instead of Eliza, or Hugh before Jimmy, or reveal Powdered Toast Man before Ren & Stimpy. These picks don't come out of nowhere, they make some degree of sense in the context of their inclusions, but they also display a willingness on the devs' part to avoid just going down the checklist of the network's most iconic characters and instead add who they want to see. I respect that a ton, and it's because of that that I don't think we need Tommy and actually think he'd probably be really boring in practice. Maybe the devs could prove me wrong someday, but that's where I am now.

Abstain on Bloom because I frankly have nothing to say about her.

Patchy Prediction: 3%
This thread is already pretty pessimistic on the prospect of live-action characters in general (myself included), and Patchy arguably has it worse than most due to being part of a series with way more popular and requested characters people are expecting first. Because of that, I'm expecting VERY low scores across the board.

We somehow haven't discussed Arnold yet and I think we could get some good discussion out of him, so I'll put my noms toward him.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Hugh before Jimmy
Okay, how would Hugh have more cool moveset potential than Jimmy Neutron? And Eliza could easily be an animal summoner, there's plenty of things you could do with her! I love Nigel Thornberry and thought he was a great choice, and I probably would've chosen him myself (Nigel and Eliza are dual protagonists of sorts anyway!)! But it's no secret that he and Hugh won out because of memes rather than moveset potential.

A lot of the base game "main character snubs" made sense, but now it feels like people are asking for it because it's "in vogue".

Yes, you shouldn't just go down a checklist, but you shouldn't just pick names out of a hat either. Especially when a lot of those "boring, predictable main character picks" are some of the most demanded characters for the game and have loads of mvoeset potential themselves.

Hugh Neutron is hilarious, but I hate the "give no ****s" culture that his inclusion has generated.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Okay, how would Hugh have more cool moveset potential than Jimmy Neutron? And Eliza could easily be an animal summoner, there's plenty of things you could do with her! I love Nigel Thornberry and thought he was a great choice, and I probably would've chosen him myself (Nigel and Eliza are dual protagonists of sorts anyway!)! But it's no secret that he and Hugh won out because of memes rather than moveset potential.

A lot of the base game "main character snubs" made sense, but now it feels like people are asking for it because it's "in vogue".

Yes, you shouldn't just go down a checklist, but you shouldn't just pick names out of a hat either. Especially when a lot of those "boring, predictable main character picks" are some of the most demanded characters for the game and have loads of mvoeset potential themselves.

Hugh Neutron is hilarious, but I hate the "give no ****s" culture that his inclusion has generated.
I did not say Hugh has better moveset potential than Jimmy, that was a separate thought. I respect their decision to add Hugh before Jimmy because it displays a willingness on the devs' part to add who they want to see and not just who the fans, the network, or even traditional character hierarchy would dictate should be in (and in what order, for that matter). They aren't just drawing names out of a hat, even Hugh had a reason he was put in before Jimmy whether you agree with it or not. (And no, memes were not the only thing Nigel had going for him, he was genuinely the most memorable part of his series and the memes are indicative of that.) Likewise, Reptar was [presumably] picked over Tommy, Angelica, or anyone else from Rugrats for having better moveset potential and generally being the cooler character. That, in my opinion, is a whole lot better than if they added Tommy first just because he's the main character and the "original mascot of Nick".

D

Deleted member

Honestly I want Tommy less for any sort of icon factor and more because beating up the TMNT or the Avatar as a baby would be funny

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I totally agree that all main character and marketability heirarchy should be disregarded and "because they'd be fun to play" should be the main deciding factor of fighter inclusion, but I disagree on the idea of Tommy not having anything going for him except protagonist status - I personally want Tommy just because beating the snot out of Shredder as a literal infant would be funny, and it also helps that there is good moveset potential for him

Also, I dunno where the idea that Lucy's age was the problem she faced came from - I could imagine it being Nick trying to aim for adult fans; favouring other sisters; a lack of confidence in her fighting potential; Lucy's merch not selling as much as other Loud House characters; so on. We also don't know if Bamtang had to fight for Lucy in NKR2 themselves.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I totally agree that all main character and marketability heirarchy should be disregarded and "because they'd be fun to play" should be the main deciding factor of fighter inclusion, but I disagree on the idea of Tommy not having anything going for him except protagonist status - I personally want Tommy just because beating the snot out of Shredder as a literal infant would be funny, and it also helps that there is good moveset potential for him

Also, I dunno where the idea that Lucy's age was the problem she faced came from - I could imagine it being Nick trying to aim for adult fans; favouring other sisters; a lack of confidence in her fighting potential; Lucy's merch not selling as much as other Loud House characters; so on. We also don't know if Bamtang had to fight for Lucy in NKR2 themselves.
Yeah. Tommy does have a lot of moveset potential. Anyone who says that he doesn't have probably never watched Rugrats.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I did not say Hugh has better moveset potential than Jimmy, that was a separate thought. I respect their decision to add Hugh before Jimmy because it displays a willingness on the devs' part to add who they want to see and not just who the fans, the network, or even traditional character hierarchy would dictate should be in (and in what order, for that matter). They aren't just drawing names out of a hat, even Hugh had a reason he was put in before Jimmy whether you agree with it or not. (And no, memes were not the only thing Nigel had going for him, he was genuinely the most memorable part of his series and the memes are indicative of that.) Likewise, Reptar was [presumably] picked over Tommy, Angelica, or anyone else from Rugrats for having better moveset potential and generally being the cooler character. That, in my opinion, is a whole lot better than if they added Tommy first just because he's the main character and the "original mascot of Nick".
You can still do cool and fun roster choices without turning the game into a complete ****post. You gotta have SOME consciousness for the game's image. NASB is gonna remain a target of mockery if we end up with something like Ty Lee before Zuko, or Fred the Fish before Squidward. "They're cool and fun to play" shouldn't be the sole deciding factor either. You have to have some kind of balance. Yes, these games shouldn't be just restricted to main characters, but a lot of the hierarchies Smash put forth exist for a reason.

Let me ask you this. Say this was the Smash 64 Roster:

Peach
Bowser
Jigglypuff
Starmie
Slippy
Samurai Goroh
Funky Kong
Birdo
Kraid
Jeff
Chef Kawasaki
Impa

Would Smash have become as big as it has? More than likely not. Sure, all of these characters are cool and fun to play! and several of them exist in Smash already in some form! But it would've ended up like Captain Rainbow, a mostly forgotten novelty. I don't want the same thing to happen to All Star Brawl. I already see loads of mockery towards the game from outside communities, and I don't see Multiversus given the same ****.

Meanwhile, let's take the Nintendo Skylanders crossover as an example. This one feels more like a Helga type of inclusion where the choices make more sense than including the main character would've due to the context of the game. Skylanders focuses on animalistic designs, so DK and Bowser fit right in, while Mario or Link would've felt very out of place!

Hugh had a reason he was put in before Jimmy whether you agree with it or not
Memes. I guarantee you that if Hugh didn't become a big speculation meme they wouldn't have even considered him, no matter HOW much moveset potential he has. And by no means is Jimmy not "cool and fun to play" either.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You can still do cool and fun roster choices without turning the game into a complete ****post.
And that's what NASB and every other fighter more willing than Smash to choose oddball picks does. Just because this game has Hugh before Jimmy and Reptar without any Rugrats doesn't mean this roster lacks SpongeBob, Aang, Zim etc.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
And that's what NASB and every other fighter more willing than Smash to choose oddball picks does. Just because this game has Hugh before Jimmy and Reptar without any Rugrats doesn't mean this roster lacks SpongeBob, Aang, Zim etc.
I know that, I just don't want the devs to skip over characters just because they seem "too predictable". Hell, I'm counting my lucky stars that Lincoln got into the base game, god knows they wouldn't have added him otherwise. And this doesn't just apply to characters I care about. I didn't enjoy Rocko's Modern Life as a kid but still gave him a 70% want score because of his significance.

Imagine the outcry if they had decided to skip over Jenny and added, say, Sheldon in a mech instead.

Back on the point of Tommy, I completely agree that Tommy has loads of moveset potential that could easily be made into a worthwhile fighter! Plus we have the Fenton Thermos and Gnome a items despite their presence in Danny and Zim's movesets, so I don't think Tommy's Ball being an item will be an issue.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
NASB is gonna remain a target of mockery if we end up with something like Ty Lee before Zuko, or Fred the Fish before Squidward.
I don't get why fans are so concious of NASB's image - yeah, our game is a laughing stock, just get used to it and play the game, let the devs handle the image issue - and should they fail, so be it, we've still got a game and the family audience alone can fund the DLC.

Peach
Bowser
Jigglypuff
Starmie
Slippy
Samurai Goroh
Funky Kong
Birdo
Kraid
Jeff
Chef Kawasaki
Impa

Would Smash have become as big as it has? More than likely not
That would've probably been for the better if Smash stayed a niche curio.

Also Pikachu and Ness are 100% characters that should've been passed on for side characters IMO.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't get why fans are so concious of NASB's image
Because of the way the internet works. If forums were still a thing (yes I know about the irony of this), NASB could "find its niche" as you say, as there'd be plenty of places you could go to talk about it without someone barging in with Steamcharts numbers. But instead everyone's forced to stick with a few sites, where only the biggest games can get attention.

But at the same time I think Drifloon's underestimating how much weird picks actually help this game get attention. It was both Jenny and Hugh in one trailer that helped the DLC trailer accumulate 900k views, so we clearly need both Jennies and Hughs, not just one or the other.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
But at the same time I think Drifloon's underestimating how much weird picks actually help this game get attention. It was both Jenny and Hugh in one trailer that helped the DLC trailer accumulate 900k views, so we clearly need both Jennies and Hughs, not just one or the other.
This right here. Fighting games do need a balance of these in order to keep their rosters interesting and consistent.

In terms of "main characters getting in first", personally I think that's fine as long as the main character is interesting. It doesn't hurt if the protagonist is both the main character and has a cool moveset, though if they are kind of bland in comparison compared to the side characters, then yeah the devs should go for one of the side characters that offers something more cool. It's a case by case thing.

To bring this back to Rugrats, yeah the devs almost certainly added Reptar because he's much cooler than babies. That's one of the reasons why I gave Tommy a low score. Sure, his iconic status does help to a degree (Which is why me and others brought it up), but it's not the only factor. For moveset, I think the devs could pull off an interesting baby moveset considering how creative they are, though it's not like that was going to make Tommy stand up to a fire breathing dinosaur and there's other factors too like fan demand and competition which Tommy suffers in those departments.

I just wanted to clear the air a bit. If anyone wants to have a discussion we can do so in PMs since I have some strong feelings on some of the stuff above, though that would be veering way off-topic.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm perfectly fine with having both! I'm just sick of the mentality that the Hughs are considered the superior choice every time. I'm sick of the fact that only the opinions of people like Wario Wario Wario and ZeDiglett are considered valid in this fanbase.

How is Jimmy an uninteresting choice? How is Squidward an uninteresting choice? How is Tommy an Uninteresting choice? How is TIMMY so uninteresting of a choice that people are clamoring for Jorgen and the Crimson Chin? See the problem here? Memes and shock value are being prioritized now, not "cool moveset potential" as people so claim. And even then, Timmy polls higher than the Chin, Jimmy polled higher than Hugh, etc.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Also Pikachu and Ness are 100% characters that should've been passed on for side characters IMO.
This is off topic, but there's no way adding Pikachu to the roster during the peak of Pokemania didn't contribute to Smash being such a success.

Like yes, it also had Mario and Link, but Pikachu was the hot commodity at the time. It certainly got me interested in playing it back then.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This is off topic, but there's no way adding Pikachu to the roster during the peak of Pokemania didn't contribute to Smash being such a success.

Like yes, it also had Mario and Link, but Pikachu was the hot commodity at the time. It certainly got me interested in playing it back then.
If anything, Pikachu was already an example of a popular side character being chosen over the main protagonist, if you consider Pikachu being Ash's main Pokemon rather than the anime's protagonist, or how rare it was in R/B.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

I'm only talking personal opinion - objectively, yes, Pikachu was a good choice.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If anything, Pikachu was already an example of a popular side character being chosen over the main protagonist, if you consider Pikachu being Ash's main Pokemon rather than the anime's protagonist, or how rare it was in R/B.
Pikachu was the mascot, and Ash (as awesome as our Alolan champion is) is not in the games.

Pikachu's way above the level of Hugh Neutron.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Silver Ball era Representation

Chance - 0% - Nick really doesn't reference it this much these days, mostly because there's nothing too represent. At this point it's supper unlikely. The only thing, really, is the ball itself, and I think they would have added it already.

Want - 1% - Nothing really to say other than an item would have been best.

Tommy Pickles

Chance - 7.5% - It's hard to say why Tommy was passed in the base game. It could be that dev time was simply not there. It could be that they thought that Reptar would be enough to satisfy most Rugrats fans. Maybe somebody (doesn't have to be a regulatory body, just a personal preference from the devs) found making a baby in danger too much.

What is certain is what's here and now, and Tommy isn't too popular; No poll that I found has any Rugrats in the top 20. Everyone is focusing mostly on new franchises or a small handful of really popular shows like Avatar or SpongeBob. I can see Tommy get higher once more big names get crossed off, but I don't think the game will last quite that long. It's possible, but it's a long shot.

Want - 50% - I never watched Rugrats, so I have no horse in the race. I don't have any really strong opinions, but I at least acknowledge that he would make people happy.

Bloom

Chance - 5% - The number of people who have abstained should prove - Winx and NASB have precious little overlap. The show is relatively big, and from what I can tell still going strong (although latter seasons and continuity reboots skewing for a younger audience has lead to it alienating older fans). Overall, it comes down to if they can feel like they can do something with her interesting enough to overcome the lack of interest from the main audience. Considering that she's a fire user when Zuko exists, I kinda doubt that.

Want - 55% - I never watched the show, but a magical girl is at least interesting. She'd fit right in, though her possible redundancy with Zuko makes her less interesting to me.

Predictions

Patchy the Pirate - 2.34% - Live action characters don't do well...

Nominations

Parker J. Cloud X5

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You can still do cool and fun roster choices without turning the game into a complete ****post. You gotta have SOME consciousness for the game's image. NASB is gonna remain a target of mockery if we end up with something like Ty Lee before Zuko, or Fred the Fish before Squidward. "They're cool and fun to play" shouldn't be the sole deciding factor either. You have to have some kind of balance. Yes, these games shouldn't be just restricted to main characters, but a lot of the hierarchies Smash put forth exist for a reason.

Peach
Bowser
Jigglypuff
Starmie
Slippy
Samurai Goroh
Funky Kong
Birdo
Kraid
Jeff
Chef Kawasaki
Impa

Would Smash have become as big as it has? More than likely not. Sure, all of these characters are cool and fun to play! and several of them exist in Smash already in some form! But it would've ended up like Captain Rainbow, a mostly forgotten novelty. I don't want the same thing to happen to All Star Brawl. I already see loads of mockery towards the game from outside communities, and I don't see Multiversus given the same ****.

Meanwhile, let's take the Nintendo Skylanders crossover as an example. This one feels more like a Helga type of inclusion where the choices make more sense than including the main character would've due to the context of the game. Skylanders focuses on animalistic designs, so DK and Bowser fit right in, while Mario or Link would've felt very out of place!
I agree! A roster that's just weird picks would be boring for the same reason a roster that's just iconic main characters is boring; it's the same thing every time and ultimately restricts the creators' decision making. That's precisely why I love that NASB's willing to have a healthy balance of both and doesn't hold itself to adding one or the other. It didn't have Tommy before Reptar or Eliza before Nigel because "well I guess we have to" even when other Nick games fell into similar traps. Simply put, they should add Tommy if they want Tommy, not because he's "obligatory" or whatever. Say what you will about having Hugh before Jimmy, but we're probably getting Jimmy anyway (if only because the network frankly wouldn't let them get away with having Hugh in the game without his son) and whether you like it or not, Hugh actually getting in did draw a lot of eyes to this game when it specifically needed it most.
Memes. I guarantee you that if Hugh didn't become a big speculation meme they wouldn't have even considered him, no matter HOW much moveset potential he has. And by no means is Jimmy not "cool and fun to play" either.
Yes, that is the reason. Whether you agree with it or not, that is still A Reason. Also you're literally talking to someone who's had Jimmy as his most wanted since day 1, I dunno where you're getting this idea that I think Jimmy wouldn't be cool or shouldn't be in the game from.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I agree! A roster that's just weird picks would be boring for the same reason a roster that's just iconic main characters is boring; it's the same thing every time and ultimately restricts the creators' decision making. That's precisely why I love that NASB's willing to have a healthy balance of both and doesn't hold itself to adding one or the other. It didn't have Tommy before Reptar or Eliza before Nigel because "well I guess we have to" even when other Nick games fell into similar traps. Say what you will about having Hugh before Jimmy, but we're probably getting Jimmy anyway (mainly because the network frankly wouldn't let them get away with having Hugh in the game without his son) and whether you like it or not, Hugh actually getting in did draw a lot of eyes to this game when it specifically needed it most.

Yes, that is the reason. Whether you agree with it or not, that is still A Reason. Also you're literally talking to someone who's had Jimmy as his most wanted since day 1, I dunno where you're getting this idea that I think Jimmy wouldn't be cool or shouldn't be in the game from.
I didn't mean to be rude, it's more that "Hugh before Jimmy" is often lumped in with examples of "cool character before protagonist" examples among NASB fans so I was just jumping to conclusions. We do need a healthy balance of characters, and the examples of "side character first" we had in the base game made sense (Reptar's the marketable mascot, Nigel's essentially a second protagonist (Wild Thornberrys episodes jumped between Nigel and Eliza), Helga's a second protagonist essentially and makes more sense than the pacifistic Arnold (who usually wins by NOT fighting), and Oblina's part of an equal trio), and none of them felt egregious! It's mainly Hugh before Jimmy and the attitude behind it (even Mark DeCarlo, jokingly or not, talks about wanting Hugh prioritized in other crossovers as well) that's starting to get to me.

Either way I'm glad we've come to an understanding! NASB's been a wonderful experience so far and I hope it stays that way!
and hopefully we will get Jimmy in the next batch of characters!

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Raphael
Chance: 13.89%
Want: 35%
Winner of predictions is DaUsername DaUsername , who predicted 15%. 10 extra noms.
Donatello
Chance: see above
Want: see above
Winner of predictions is see above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abstaining from Bloom and the concept of Nick deciding to stop cashing in on 90s nostalgia and instead cash in on 80s nostalgia.
Tommy, however.
Chance: Abstain
Want: 5%
Honestly, I don't really care for Rugrats. Yeah, Reptar is cool, but I don't really care for babies. I guess if he was in it would be kinda funny to see him beat the crap out of other characters (or vice versa), but that's about it.

Patchy prediction: 5%
Noms: Concept: more alt costumes x15
DAY OVER
Rate Patchy the Pirate, predict Orson from U.S. Acres/Orson's Farm/Garfield & Friends.

D

Deleted member

Chance- 5%
Patchy is a pretty memorable part of the show, and is pretty recurring, usually appearing at least one a season. He apparently has the most lines and apperneces of any supporting character. This proablly makes him more relevant than the likes of Bubble Bass or Fred. Patchy episodes are always treated like a big deal. But I still don't see him getting in over the likes of Squidward, Mr Krabs and Plankton. The big issue he has is that he's a live action character, and we currently don't have any of those and seem fairly unlikely to get any. However, Patchy did very recently get an animated apperance, so they would potentially have something to be him off of. There's also the fact that he simply faces a lot of competition. Mainly from the aforementioned trio, but also other side characters. There may also be an element of Nick not wanting Patchy to be able to beat up Spongebob, considering a huge part of his character is his adoration for the yellow fella, but they could just as easily spin it as Patchy getting to fight alongside his idol. They would likely have to take a lot of liberates with his moveset, but it's not impossible, just give him a bunch of typical pirate stuff. Plus it's not like Tom Kenny isn't avaliable to do voice lines. Considering his role as a narrator, it may also make more sense to include Patchy as a bonus announcer, but I heavily dobut we'll get any of those.

Want - 20%
Patchy is a really funny character. His episodes are usually pretty good and you can really tell that Tom Kenny loves playing this character. I do think he'd work fine as an announcer or something. But you could probably make a fun pirate themed moveset. I think it would he fun if they found a way to replicate the low budget live action style of his oringal appearances. Pirate characters in fighting games are allways cool. it would be neat to see him get to fight alongside Spongbob and the gang. I'd definitely want other characters before him. He's hardly my first pick for a Spongbob rep. And honestly I kind of want the DLC to focus on new franchises anyway. Maybe not in this game, but as an oddball pick in a potential sequal? I'd actually be kind of down!

Orosn prection - 0%

Noms to Katara

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Chance: 5%

Patchy may be well-loved, but unfortunately that popularity hasn't translated over to NASB. He's in a very awkward spot since as far as SpongeBob characters, basically the entire fanbase agrees that any or all of Squidward, Plankton, and Mr. Krabs should be in before they go adding wacky side characters like Patchy. There's also the fact that he's originally a live action character, which might not be as big an issue for Patchy as it is for others since Tom Kenny's already in on the project, but it's still something to consider. (And yes, he does technically have an animated version that appeared in one episode, but it's frankly hideous and I don't think anyone wants THAT incarnation of Patchy in the game.) All in all, it's a tough sell at the moment even if the character has his fans. Maybe we could see him in a later game, but for now, probably not.

Want: 90%

Patchy's great. The episodes that feature him were always some of my favorites, and there's something about the concept of a full-grown manchild who dresses like a pirate and obsesses over his favorite cartoon character that's still so hilarious all these years later. (The image above has also become something of an in-joke among me and my friends, so I kind of have to want him on account of that.) Even if we can't get him as a fighter, I'd love to see Patchy and Potty get in as an announcer duo someday, or hell, even get Patchy to start writing the patch notes - call 'em "Patchy Notes." (Thank you, I'm here all week.) Still, if the suits won't even let the devs write unique dialogue for the characters who are in the game, it'll probably never happen. Would love to see it, though.

Orson Prediction: 0.3%
Who? Oh, the pig from Garfield & Friends? Eh... nah.

Noms to Arnold

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom