• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

$500 cash prize tournament and lockin, Philadelphia

chip@thecyberhub.com

Smash Rookie
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
CyberHub Gaming Center
Sherwood Taylor
8726 New Falls Rd
Levittown PA 19054
215-946-2788
sherwoodtaylor@comcast.net
www.thecyberhub.com

Super Smash Brothers Melee Lockin/Cash Tournament Event

Levittown, PA: March 24/25th

CyberHub will be hosting two days of Super Smash Brothers for Gamecube gameplay. The events will begin with a lock-in, an event in which participants stay at the game center from 11pm on March 24th until the morning. This time will mostly be set up for practicing and getting to know the competitors. Players will have the ability to play all night with others on any of our 8 gamecube stations or for a change of pace they can take on others across our huge LAN of high-end gaming PCs. After the lockin, a $500 dollar cash prize tournament will begin amongst the participants. Anticipated turnout for this event is around 75 players with over 100 spectators from the northeast coast. Super Smash Brothers is a game with a very large following and this event is sure to be big as well. With competitive gaming climbing fast as a world wide sport and this being one of the biggest tournaments on the east coast we are sure to attract many players from all over the North East.
Entrance for the lockin is $35: food, pizza and drinks are provided (you provide pillows)
Entrance for the tournament is $15

For advance registration visit www.thecyberhub.com or come in and speak with our friendly staff.

For additional information or a sample copy, Contact:
Sherwood Taylor
8726 New Falls Rd
Levittown PA 19054
215-946-2788
sherwoodtaylor@comcast.net

CyberHub is the Lower Bucks County’s first game center, providing competitive gaming, internet use and pc repair.
# # #________________________________________

Troyy1

Smash Rookie
CyberHub Gaming Center is Hosting a huge SSBM Tournament on March 25th starting at 12noon. The entry free will be $15 for this double elimination tournament.

There will be over $500 in cash and prizes guarenteed!

To make it more interesting we will be hosting a SSBM Lock-in the night before.. Come in 11pm on Friday 24th and stay the night! There will be food and drinks provided as well as fun tournaments and raffles throughout the night. The lockin is $50 and includes entrance into the Super Smash Bros tournament.

CyberHub is located in 8726 New Falls Road. Levittown, PA 19054. (215) 946-2788.
Mintues from Philadelphia and New Jersey.

For more information visit http://www.thecyberhub.com

Troyy1

Smash Rookie
Super Smash Brothers Melee Tournament.
$500 + Guaranteed Cash and prizes! Only $15 to participate.
CyberHub 8726 New Falls Road, Levittown, PA 19054

Pre-registration for this event is required. You can sign-up for the event at
http://www.igames.org/CenterEventReg.asp?EventID=5706
Payment can be made by online through Paypal or you can make a payement in the store.

The cost to attend this event is only $15.

The SSBM tournament will begin at 11am on Saturday, March 25th

For more information about the tournament please call 215-946-2788 or visit http://www.thecyberhub.com

Below are the general rules and regulations for this tournament.

Super Smash Brothers Melee

General Rules and Regulations

1. During scheduled warm-up periods the winner stays and the loser must get up.
2. If a player or team doesn't show up on time for their match, they will be given a 5 minute grace period before it will go down as a forfeit.
3. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.
4. All decisions made by tournament officials are final.
5. Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at the staff's discretion.
6. Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing. Breaking of this rule will result in ejection of the spectator and forfeit of the game.
7. Any intentional forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate the rankings/brackets will result in ejection and possible suspension from future tournaments.
8. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.

Controllers

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller.
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Tournament Format

1. The event will be run as double elimination brackets.

Tournament Rules

1. The Singles Brackets will be Double Elimination.
2. The Losers Bracket will have mixed placement to avoid players being eliminated by the same opponent that beat them in the Winner’s Bracket.
3. All matches are Best of 5.
4. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
5. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
6. Items will be turned off.

Stages & Character Select

1. The first round stage is selected by random, but if both players (teams) can agree on a stage then the first match can be played on any stage they agree upon except one from the banned list below.
2. Random Select Stages - Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Rainbow Cruise, Kirby 64, & Pokemon Stadium.
3. Stages Banned - Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Termina Bay and Yoshi's Island 64.
4. Stages not listed on the random select list, that are not banned, are open for counter picks by the losing player.
5. No stage can be used twice in a single match, whether by random select or by picking.
6. Knock-out - after initial characters have been selected and only before the first match is played, each person may knock off one stage from the available tournament stages. That stage will be turned off for the entire set.
7. Advanced Slob Picks - the loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then the winner may change characters, and then the loser may change characters.
8. Double-Blind Pick - at the beginning of a match, any player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players tell a judge their character secretly and are required to use that character for the first game.

Other Rules & Special Issues

1. Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.
2. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
3. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as droping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop the tactic and lose a stock.

Match Format

1. Each player chooses a seat and controller port. If both players want the same controller port, a coin flip will determine the winner of the port. The loser may then choose whichever seat he wants.
2. Players then choose their character and have 30 seconds to do so. If any player does not select their character at the end of 30 seconds or if any player calls for it, a double blind pick will be used. Once a player has placed their coin on a character’s image to select it, they may not change characters
3. Once characters have been selected the highest player in the highest controller port position may press start to go to the level select screen. Once on the level select screen, each player may choose their stages to knock-out (see Stages & Character Select rule #6) and then either agree on a stage together or select a stage at random. Any arguing over stages will be interrupted by the judges and random stage select will be used.
4. Players play their first match.
5. Once they have returned to the character select screen, the losing player from the previous match must announce their choice for the next level or elect to have the next level selected at random. Once the stage selection has been announced, the winning player may choose to change their character. Once the winning player has chosen his character for the next match, the losing player may then choose to change characters. After the stage and characters have been set, the players play their second match.
6. If the winning player wins again, he wins the set and must report the score to a judge. If the losing player from the previous match wins, repeat #5 (above) and play the third match. Winner of the third match must report the score to a judge.

Joker

Smash Ace
I knew about this tournie B4 this thread, and intended on going anyways, so i'll try to get the word out a little more :embarrass

This tournie has TJD written all over it :embarrass

hova

Smash Champion
did u say 75 people ---> 8 gamecube stations??

is that right? haha, u gonna have people bring xtra setups?

DarkBlade

Smash Apprentice
I didnt know it was 500 gaurentied. I wouldnet of told them to post up on SWF and just face the locals^^ But im cooler than that.
Joker, how did you know about this Before the 1st palmer inn.. you got inside info up the wazo..
Anyway since i live here Ill be bringing a few setups. There good on tvs but just need setups. That and setup some doubles and low tier tournys. I can already see the victor of those, Jig/sammy setup from magus/joker^^

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
LOL I don't know about the success of 8 cubes 75 smashers and 50 bucks worth of fees. Turn that 75 into a 5-7 and it'll be more accurate >.>

^ That's a lie, but it's based in fact ^

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
me and my friend evan will be there and most definately wont be square. i dunno if we're doin the lockin or not. we'll register later.

Alpo

Smash Apprentice
Whoa. When did this place open up? I'm from Fairless Hills (though currently at West Chester for college) and I've never heard of it.

I won't be attending. School/work issues. Plus Naruto GNT4 is sucking up all of my Smash time. I suck too much for tournies :p

Will you be running any tournaments in the summer? Maybe I'll practice up and attend one of them.

Joker

Smash Ace
:laugh:
Go ahead, and make it easier for me to take this , i dont mind.

Besides, while BACH may have a point, about MLG, since when was MLG that big of a deal :ohwell:

Championships is one thing, but "opening" is kinda, who cares?!?!?!

Well to lames like me anyway :p

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
Holy sh*t Joker. dont u ever read PMs? I needed to ask you about this and see fi you wanted to do some training with em and evan since we're going too. Cape said he'd train us too, but we dunne when we could do that.

Cape, if you get housing with some one here then that would make it easy as crap to get together and play. is magus going to this too?

g-regulate

Smash Hero
Could the person in charge of this whole operation be a little less vague about the prize money? All i keep seeing is 500$+ Guaranteed cash prizes!

More info please?!?

DarkBlade

Smash Apprentice
G- just scroll down abit on the first page.. or click here. http://www.thecyberhub.com/view_event.php?event_id=125

Cape and every1. The lockin is pricy for a 1 nighter. If magus isnt putting up housing I will. Im a 5 minute drive from the hub anyway. Hover this all depends on if any1 else wants to put up housing and if people are even doing the lockin.
The reson why the lockin is pricy is cause its there regular lockin price, and there holding the lockin for nonsmashers 2 who are use to the 35$ night. however smashers are paying 15 for tourny + money matches + whatever if we want to get doubles and/or low tier setup and make our own pool.
However, some people would rather get that 500 slit up into 60% 1st, 30% 2nd and 10% 3rd but im not saying anything to them unless you guys would rather have that, (Or if M2K comes >.> ..) I know some are looking at 2nd/3rd alot and would hate to just get prizes. Ill also make sure they dont gimp you guys and give you free hours for getting a good place :laugh:

On that note, How many Would really be interested in Low tier tournys? we can set up our own doubles and make a pot seeing the 500 for singles is already stated and firm.
Also, Id like to know how many like the DSR(Daves Stupid Rule) And bannin stage both in one. It seems to limit characters getting fuked twice in multi ways but kinda is dum if 2 people would like to play the same stage twice.. that and finals and all... :ohwell:

The MLG tourny just means that we dont have to worry about DA cause they Should go to theirs for representing there own state MLG. It just means free $ to the tri state area without worry. <.< >.>

Magus420

Smash Master
Ya cape, I should be able to house you guys if you come down. If anyone else wants housing let me know.

I say split the $500 for singles. 2nd not getting any of it is pretty lame IMO. 60/30/10 or 65/25/10 sounds good to me.

Low tier and teams sound good. Preferably low tier, even though I'd probably have a better chance at teams. Better yet, how about low tier teams? :bigthumbu

I say yes on stage banning and DSR, but I say it should be DSR modified.

Joker

Smash Ace
ChumpMoney said:
Holy sh*t Joker. dont u ever read PMs? I needed to ask you about this and see fi you wanted to do some training with em and evan since we're going too. Cape said he'd train us too, but we dunne when we could do that.

Cape, if you get housing with some one here then that would make it easy as crap to get together and play. is magus going to this too?
Holy sh*t i do!
Responding to them is different at times thats all :ohwell:
Fine!
When and where next?!?!?!?

g-regulate

Smash Hero
so itd be a total of 50$ for everyone to get in, and 1st would only get 60-65% of a 500$ pot?3rd would barely got what they paid to get in.

Joker

Smash Ace
Just incase ppl dont care to read, yes the lock-in is optional.

But something that desperatley needs to be modified, is the prize, it would even be better for the store as well, because...

Current breakdown, or so i've heard
- 1st place - $500 (garunteed)
- 2nd place - a store prize
- 3rd place - a store prize

But if the store / tournie holders change it to the way most tournies are ran, all they'd have to do is take that $500 cash prize split it up 3ways, they wouldnt even have to give out the money PLUS store prizes.

All i know is if ppl come to this, someone comes in 1st, and no one else gets any money ppl are gonna be kinda pissed probly.

THat would really define the fact that 2nd place is just 1st loser :laugh:

DarkBlade

Smash Apprentice
DSR modded would be better. I dont think they will make another store cash prize for doubles/low tier so that would be a pot depending on how the people set it up(you guys, not the Hub)

BTW its Double Eli and loser bracket is random encounter so either that.. or maybe I should let them in on how swiss works. Random kinda helps the scrubs anyway, but I think the low skilled players wouldent even understand there chances in a swiss format anyway."Its random right?" "Yaa~~ kidna." :chuckle:

BTW for those who failed Enlish101 the tourny is 15 bucks with a split of either 500 first, or a good 3 way split. its the one night lockin thats an aditional 35$, which I might not even do :urg: However, I dought we will have enough time to setup all of Singles, doubles and lwo tier before 1-2ish(am) so theres a good chance for those who would like the low tiers to either stay at the lockin or do some housing. I may stay at the lockin depending on how many others are sticking around.

Also for those who failed Advanced Addition and Intro to Subtraction, 60% would be 300 30% 150 and 10% is 50. Barly nothing.. Its either break even, or dont do the lockin and make 35 for 3rd place. 300 is a nice split for first place. And seeing the local compitition are a bunch of scrubs + me and a few trainies its not to hard to take it.. Course if youd rather do NY have fun with DA and no cash :dizzy:

Ill talk to them about the lockin price, there just use to it cause alot of WoW nerds ushually have cash to spare(Im looking at you ryo^^) and nothing better to do but pay to play online by the hour and they see the 35 as a deal :laugh:

Magus420

Smash Master
DarkBlade said:
BTW its Double Eli and loser bracket is random encounter so either that.. or maybe I should let them in on how swiss works.
Why would the loser's bracket be randomized? :dizzy: They should just get put into losers the way any well constructed Double Elim bracket shows, so people are guaranteed not to face the same person twice early on. Regardless, I've always been a fan of swiss-seeded double elim, so I hope that's doable.

Magus420

Smash Master
Hmm, let's see... Drive all the way to new york, pay out the @$$ to get there, have no chance of winning any of that money back, and play good people... Or drive like literally down the street, have a decent chance of winning money that I could really use, and also play good people. Hmm... decisions decisions :rolleyes:

Anyway, yeah. I can pick you guys up as long as you can throw me some gas money as it's in the opposite direction.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Magus420 said:
Hmm, let's see... Drive all the way to new york, pay out the @$$ to get there, have no chance of winning any of that money back, and play good people... Or drive like literally down the street, have a decent chance of winning money that I could really use, and also play good people. Hmm... decisions decisions :rolleyes:

Anyway, yeah. I can pick you guys up as long as you can throw me some gas money as it's in the opposite direction.
You have good points, my friend.

I'll go with you to this and help pay for gas.

Got a team mate this time, dude?

DarkBlade

Smash Apprentice
UmbreonMow said:
You'll always be locked in my heart ^_~
Do I take it youl be coming down^^? Free monez. just challange every local hub guy here to a them vs you and you can only use the shine. Youl dominate:chuckle: no joke.

Any word of Javi coming? I looove his marth, magicaly weaves in and out of all my range like it didnt exist. Gota love that^^

Anyway Ill throw in that bracket detail that there wount be simular battles till the end. There just use to having double eli brackets of Halo2 with few teams so its ushually bad..
Oh And Im making a Halo2 Cahllage. My LEvittowny Partner for smash is godly at H2 and I think we could take any other "Smash Team" at halo2 aswell^^ MEaning I challange people who are enetering the doubles in smash for a double in halo2 :chuckle:

Its only gay online anyway :ohwell:

Top Bottom