• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

500,000 copies sold in one day (edit, read first post plz)

vull45

Smash Apprentice
I've never heard of that website but regardless just goes to show how crazy popular smash is. An adverage game gets around 6 million worldwide. This much in one day is a good sign as if Nintendo would say, "Lets make smash brother games forever"

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
I've never heard of that website but regardless just goes to show how crazy popular smash is. An adverage game gets around 6 million worldwide. This much in one day is a good sign as if Nintendo would say, "Lets make smash brother games forever"
You do know that only like 40-50 games IN ALL HISTORY ever sold more than 6 million copies, most of them being for handhelds?

There are too many games sold each day to find an average number, you cannot compare games like "carnival games" and "Legend of Zelda" saying that both will sell 6 million. With so many crap titles out there, don't expect the average to be anywhere over 500,000; For the gamecube a title had to sell 1m to be players chioce, and there were only a few of those.

You have never herd of Kotaku.com? You must not have herd of the gamercast network...or sarcastic gamer either.

JCrash

Smash Rookie
You don't know of Kotaku?? I am sad now =( anyway 500,000 is insane O_o

DreamFiend633

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure Pokemon Diamond and Pearl sold around 5 million in the first week in North America, I wouldn't be surprised if Brawl surpassed that.

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure Pokemon Diamond and Pearl sold around 5 million in the first week in North America, I wouldn't be surprised if Brawl surpassed that.
Lies.

The games' American release in late April of 2007 saw over 500,000 pre-orders of Diamond and Pearl in the United States,[3][31] topping almost twice the pre-sale numbers as Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen.[32] It went on to sell one million copies within five days of sales.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Hmm. Was Halo 3 released in Japan?

Anyway, I think that, uh, Brawl might just get close to Halo 3 in first-day sales. Possibly more total sales, though.

Hey, Smashboards is 153,000+ by itself! O_O

If we include Japan and the US, Brawl will definately outsell Halo 3.

:laugh:

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
Halo sold around 8mil World Wide.

-650,000 (500,000 + The smash forums)

vull45

Smash Apprentice
You do know that only like 40-50 games IN ALL HISTORY ever sold more than 6 million copies, most of them being for handhelds?

There are too many games sold each day to find an average number, you cannot compare games like "carnival games" and "Legend of Zelda" saying that both will sell 6 million. With so many crap titles out there, don't expect the average to be anywhere over 500,000; For the gamecube a title had to sell 1m to be players chioce, and there were only a few of those.

You have never herd of Kotaku.com? You must not have herd of the gamercast network...or sarcastic gamer either.
Meaning that "adverage" was an incorrect term to use, gotcha. I stick with the zelda serries played and own every game with 2 copies of each CD-i plus one stylish board game :)

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. Was Halo 3 released in Japan?

Anyway, I think that, uh, Brawl might just get close to Halo 3 in first-day sales. Possibly more total sales, though.

Hey, Smashboards is 153,000+ by itself! O_O

If we include Japan and the US, Brawl will definately outsell Halo 3.

:laugh:
As much as I want to play Brawl and have been a fan since SBB64, I'm a fan of halo since it first came out and know the figures of what halo 3 sold.

I don't think it will outsell Halo 3, but who gives a ****. Brawl is and will be a good game.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Meaning that "adverage" was an incorrect term to use, gotcha. I stick with the zelda serries played and own every game with 2 copies of each CD-i plus one stylish board game :)
The funniest thing I read all day.

Tiamat475

Smash Journeyman
According to some sites. Halo sold...

In Japan: 45,000
In U.S.: 3,400,000 (?) ($170 Million, assuming everyone paid $50...)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Halo 3 will probably outsell Brawl in America but definately not world wide, Halo is mostly just an American phenomenon. Also, if that 45,000 copies of Halo in Japan is true, that's hilarious.

Star105

Smash Journeyman
2 magizines gave brawl a perfect score............

im not surprised but the article for the second magizine has spoilers so i can't post it.....

sry if its old news though

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Think of how much it'd sell in EUROPE!

If they bothered to give us a release date

Patinator

Smash Champion
ZOMG. Yeah, 1.8 million units sold in the FIRST WEEK, according to Wikipedia. Lemme just give us an average of units per day.

...OMFG! 257143 (rounded up) units per day! It's STILL over nine thousand!

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
Its very possible that ssbb will outsell halo 3 in first day sales when you combine the sales of the three regions once it comes out in the other two. Halo 3 only sold about 2 million copies because the starting price was 60 dollars, and many people bought the legendary and the limited edition ones as well, so ive read that the average price of halo 3 bought that day was actually 85 or a little more dollars, bringing the sales down to 2 millionish. (o btw, the reason why microsoft never released the number count of how many sold was because they want everyone to think that each copy was only 60 so it looks like they sold more than they did)

So smash has to sell 1.5 million in the US and Europe combined in its first day sales to be the fastest selling game of all time...this really isn't that unrealistic. I would say that it stands a pretty good chance of accomplishing this, but only time will tell.

These other regions still count as first day sales since halo 3 was a worldwide launch, while as we know smash is being sold on three different days.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Yeah. It definately helps that there are tons of SSB forum sites, AND of course Nintendo Power, so Brawl isn't what one would call "unknown".

I do get the feeling Brawl will be king of Wii sales, like Melee was for GameCube, and will probably sell more than Halo 3 in the same amount of time.

Toshiba

Smash Apprentice
The problems with expecting brawl to outsell super mario are three-fold.

A. Super mario came packaged with the NES, making it a much easier sale than a non-packaged game like brawl.

B. The game has been around for 23 years...giving it not only 23 years to sell, but a 23 year head start on brawl. So really we would have to wait a good like... 30 years? Before brawl has a fair chance seeing as how mario brothers is still being sold in Nintendo's "Classic NES series" and on the wii virtual console so its numbers are still increasing.

C. And finally, the NES debut price was only $100 in Japan and $200 in the USA, meaning it was substantially cheaper than the wii at the start, and of course has decreased in price tremendously since its inception.

Because of these reasons, as well as the fact that really the NES didn't have very strong competition compared to the WII, it is unfair to compare Brawl sales to Super Mario brother sales, at least for many years. But hey, I would love it if Brawl went ahead and sold like 50 million copies in the next few years, i just don't see it happening.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
Why not expecting more sells than the most selled game EVER?

Mario Bros for NES.

40 millions copies sold worldwide.
woah...one step at a time. that is a goal that will be hard to top (40 million copies!?!? ****ing 40,000,000 copies!? thats insane!) but ya brawl will WITHOUT A DOUBT out sell halo 3 in the long run, and hopefully outsell as the greatest selling game(in the first few days) of all time.

FangzV

Smash Journeyman
woah...one step at a time. that is a goal that will be hard to top (40 million copies!?!? ****ing 40,000,000 copies!? thats insane!) but ya brawl will WITHOUT A DOUBT out sell halo 3 in the long run, and hopefully outsell as the greatest selling game(in the first few days) of all time.
It'll suprise me if Brawl's sales don't reach near 40 mil.

Top Bottom